British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

dunroving Jan 16th 2011 8:17 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9104502)
Do they have a Netflix type of thing in UK? I just finished watching all 4 seasons of Doc Martin on the instant download on my mac. Watched all of the MI5 seasons too same way.

http://www.lovefilm.com/

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9103947)
Yes your right Fish, a lot of Americans do worry a lot, well they do I suppose have a lot to worry about though especially if there living from pay check to pay check like so many are, and not being able to pay for there company health insurance, and only getting a week or two paid vacation every year,
But over here people are really happy go lucky, I suppose it helps if you are getting 5 or 6 weeks of lovely paid holiday every freaking year :ohmy:

I always thought that of the Americans when I first got there and for the first say 10 years, they always seemed to me you know laid back, but gradually over the years and now it seems that it has done a compleat turn around,
OK now where can me and Mum go for our next Holiday? :D better save our pensions --- if theres anything left over :huh:
Take care Fish,
Rodney.

I know what you mean Rod, people here were always so happy go lucky, they certainly seemed happier than the British.

I want to say the downturn started around 911, ever since then my income has suffered, even today I earn much less than I did pre 911.

I work in the auto repair sales related industry, sales are not what they where, at one time Americans would go out and buy a car without a second thought, not today, its definitely a need issue for most people.

Vacations what a sad joke that is, Brit's get 4 weeks by law
even after a year, of course there is no law here for such things although we do get MLK day off and a few others, The American people dare I say it are slaves, I wish I could find a better term as I don't want to offend anyone, No wonder people go postal, they are mentally and physically burned out, I think many are stuck in jobs they hate, just for benefits which they desperately need.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 8:50 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9103959)
I might ad you live on a scale different to us.
We are on medicare (we can't stay away from that subject huh) and we still have to pay out $450 for supplemental insurance and RX's per month.
While you were at Tesco I was paying $45 for one of my RX's. All in all we pay about $150 copay per month.

Huhhhhhh $450 a month and you are retired and on Medicare, thats what we have to look forward to folks.

My sister in law in the UK (50 yrs old) gets a years meds for around £100 a year.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9103962)
No that won't go too far for two people. It is tough starting over, and I have had to tell myself - repeatedly - that when I first moved to the States in 1987, I had nothing either and started with one item at a time - it was horrid. One mattress for me, one for my little boy. Two plastic garden chairs (the moulded ones from Home Depot) , one plastic garden table (single) and one bookcase made from cheap pine from Home Depot. That was it. And a black and white telly from a sale. The next year I had moved to Illinois,and when I bought a larger colour TV, I used the box it came in to make the pedestal of a dining table: paid $2 for two pieces of pine shelving, glued them together lengthways, and painted the entire lot French Blue, the same colour as the plastic chairs. Of course - you could not put any weight on the ends as the boards were not connected to the pedestal, but my visitors thought I had a fabulous modern designer table, and I never told them otherwise!! So here I am again: I own one double bed, one plastic airing rack for clothes, one electric kettle, one set of three (cheap and awful) stainless steel pots from Argos, one small 15" TV, and everything else I brought with me. One thing at a time, and now I don't need to have extras for another person, I can afford to take my time and be selective. Today I went to the Market in Frome, and bought a can opener for £1.25, 6 Free Range eggs for £1.25, and some tacky stuff to put lightweight things on the wall - £1. Seek and ye shall find - cheap.

All that and still you are Happy Rosie, there's a message in there somewhere.

As you said at least now you can be selective.

You are making headway Rosie, remember when you first got back and was trying to be positive although you were hating it because of the things that were around you, Look at you now, I'm sure things will continue to get better for you, I have no doubt about it. Good Luck as always.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9104062)
Adding fuel to the fire here. Remember DDL and her husband are living with her MIL, not on their own. So they are not living as they want to, just now. I understand where you are coming from, as I posted before - I live simply, but not everyone could live as I do. It took me years to manage this:
no book or magazine subscriptions; use the public library for books only, as DVDs and CDs are rented by the public library and they cost in excess of £2 each; no cinema; no theatre; no restaurants; second hand if possible, new if not possible - only on sale as mentioned before; no landline; mobile only as needed - people here use the text facility more than the talk facility on mobiles; watch my electricity and water consumption like a zealot - no one would want to live with me at the moment!; use the oven the minimum - and I use the residual heat from the flat burners to continue to cook the food on the top, turning off the burner before the food is completely cooked through, and use the residual heat from the oven to heat the room instead of using the electric heater! I learned all this in cabin living in Minnesota, and is it engrained in me now. But still - it has cost me £60 in electricity this month. Let's see what next month brings with it - if it gets cold, then it will go up. At the moment it is mild, so no need to have the heater on for long.

And hey - I love chocolate ice cream! Oh, and would you like a shovel to dig yourself a deeper hole while we are on the topic?

Rosie you are thrifty and amazing, I'm sure most people wouldn't or couldn't live that way, maybe you should be giving lessons.

Texting, Im just not a fan of it, what's next Morse code? Chocolate Ice Cream, a big fan, The UK has some wonderful Ice Cream, you'll have to treat yourself this summer.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104155)
My friend in the UK and her partner have just put in for this place to rent in Wigan, check it out but don't be gazumping them!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28570117.html

Gosh it looks nice inside, Huhhh thats the same three piece suite my Mother in law used to have, no big surprise as they make them by the boatload.

Beedubya Jan 16th 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9105057)
Rosie you are thrifty and amazing, I'm sure most people wouldn't or couldn't live that way, maybe you should be giving lessons.

Texting, Im just not a fan of it, what's next Morse code? Chocolate Ice Cream, a big fan, The UK has some wonderful Ice Cream, you'll have to treat yourself this summer.

Yes and please do call into the Boatmans Cafe and Giftshop in Bowness on Windermere, mention my name and you may get a discount on English Lakes ice cream the best I have ever tasted.......:wub:

BTW the chocolate version is called Death By Chocolate.

http://www.lakesicecream.com/ice-cre...-ice-cream.php

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104441)

Wow that was cool, I remember them as an In law of mine used to have one, very compact and surely not a bad idea.

jasper123 Jan 16th 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9104068)
DDL..I have heard great reviews of the film "The Kings Speech" looking forward to seeing it. I was in the supermarket today and went to buy a tin of Birds Custard. I put it back when I saw the price $5.75. Can make my own with a little effort. Very little effort.....

We buy the cans of custard, quite cheap over here trotty, and delicious :D

islandwoman120 Jan 16th 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104236)
I've seen a discussion on US vs UK chocolate and they admit that it is different and if I remember it is because of the climate and melting chocolate.
You probably know that Hershey/Cadbury have moved a lot of their production to Mexico which is another hot place.

Could also be the fact that in the US they use Corn syrup in the chocolate recipe, and in the UK it is sugar that is used. Biscuits in the Uk are not so sweet and that takes a bit of palate adjustment. My opinion.

islandwoman120 Jan 16th 2011 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104372)
I consider myself thrifty because I have had to be. One paycheck and all. But Rosie you brought up ancestry. I have Welsh, English and Prussian ancestry and I think I get my thriftyness from the Welsh side. Other groups that are known for their thriftness are the people from Yorkshire and those from Scotland.

Rosie could you teach at college/university level as you did in MN?

About that census. I can see that now, 'I ad an American cum to me door and asked all these questions for the government' 'bloody el'

You've been watching too much Coronation Street! Now go and make a brew.

jasper123 Jan 16th 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104049)
I am going to Italy with my sister in late summer. :thumbsup:

Good on Ya Lass,
Im still waiting for an invite to visit my Cousin in Rome, she has lived there for 50 years,

jasper123 Jan 16th 2011 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9104476)
Boots is way overpriced for that stuff, try SuperDrugs
http://www.superdrug.com/

Yes I have found that myself, any kind of just everyday stuff that we buy in walmart in US so cheap and in large quantities like a 100 or 500 tab bottle of aspirin or allergy tabs, or whatever ---- well in UK you just cant get big bottles of anything like that, I bought a box of allergy tabs the other day and the biggest box with one lousy sachel in with 7 tablets, ridicules, good thing though that I bought a bottle of 100 aspirin with me, --- cant take paracetamol cos Im allergic to them,
So Barb and Poppy and Don and Jackie if you need over the counter tablets buy them there before you come over, Rodney.
I got my Doctor to prescribe for me Galvastone Tabs for my heart burn 30 tabs, and also he prescribed a 30 tab bottle of allergy tabs for me too, --- so they were free, but beware if your not over 60 you will have to pay the £8 per Item on your prescription, the cost went up and I think thats what it is now, Rodney.

dunroving Jan 16th 2011 11:44 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9105276)
Yes I have found that myself, any kind of just everyday stuff that we buy in walmart in US so cheap and in large quantities like a 100 or 500 tab bottle of aspirin or allergy tabs, or whatever ---- well in UK you just cant get big bottles of anything like that, I bought a box of allergy tabs the other day and the biggest box with one lousy sachel in with 7 tablets, ridicules, good thing though that I bought a bottle of 100 aspirin with me, --- cant take paracetamol cos Im allergic to them,
So Barb and Poppy and Don and Jackie if you need over the counter tablets buy them there before you come over, Rodney.
I got my Doctor to prescribe for me Galvastone Tabs for my heart burn 30 tabs, and also he prescribed a 30 tab bottle of allergy tabs for me too, --- so they were free, but beware if your not over 60 you will have to pay the £8 per Item on your prescription, the cost went up and I think thats what it is now, Rodney.

Yes, I'm surprised at the tiny packets of ibuprofen, etc., you get in Boots and other stores in the UK. It's not as if I eat them like Smarties but on a bad week (it's me Arthur-Itis) I can get through one of those sachets. But if you go up to the counter with more than just a couple of packets what would that be, maybe 50 tablets total?), they look at you like you are some sort of drug addict. :thumbdown: I miss Sam's Club where you can buy 2 x 500 bottles of 200 mg ibuprofen for $8.86 - or about a fiver! :rofl:

Derrygal Jan 16th 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9104622)
Is anyone on this list planning to return to Northern Ireland? (other than me?)

I think about going back, but not sure it will ever happen - children, grandchildren here, not sure I could find a job there, not sure I could sell my condo here (and would most certainly take a big loss on it even if I had a buyer). Of course, who knows what may happen down the road. If (heaven forbid) I lost my job here and the heath insurance that comes with it, that could totally change my plans.