Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Beedubya....My eldest was 5 when we came to the US. Don't think OH really wanted to stay in the UK but he tried. Back then they had to offer any job he applied for to a British subject and then after 3 had refused he got the opportunity to take the job. Things have changed since then. We moved back to Florida were his Mum and family lived but he didnt like Florida and the heat so we moved to California after 3 years we moved to Rhode Island which I really liked. We lived on the Island for 18years but then he was made redundant and got the job up here in New Hampshire which I really dislike. I suppose it depends were you live. He would be happy to stay in the US but always promised me that if I wanted he would take me back to the UK when he retired. I think he thought I would change my mind as the years went by. But here I sit and wait. Somedays are better than others.

I was never a big traveller I went on holiday with friends to Spain and Italy but was always glad to get home. Loved living in Chester but I really think I was suffering from depression after my third child and various operations and family squables. I have always said that when deciding to move to another country you need to take a deep breath and think about it and not do it on a whim. I already knew I didnt want to move but I was stuck or so I though I didnt want to look like a fool and back out at the last minute so I kept my mouth shut and here we are 30years later. Only myself to blame. As my Mum would say. Weak as water...........

I read today that Cilla Black does not want to live past 75. OMG I thought that does not give me long to enjoy myself before its over. The thought really depressed me. But my Mum was 93 when she died and my Granny was 90 and they did pretty well.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi F&C sorry but I am getting a little confused.... am I not right in the suggestion that when you go to live in another country, you go there to accept their way of life or why did you leave in the first place???? I know why I left, and although I will always love my birth country I will also have allegience to the country that accepted me and gave me at the time what I was looking for. I am getting a little annoyed at some of the posts on here from people that chose to go to another country, get a good life from that country and then rubbish it and not want to take allegiance to it....WHY I for one was so glad to leavd my country when I did, I was so glad to have the opportunity to just live a normal life for me and my kids, I will always be grateful to Canada for that
With all respect DeniseJ.

Not everyone that came here came of their own accord, I was one, I was enjoying my life in the UK, My Dad wanted a better life for us all, he had worked hard all his life and wasn't getting far, coming here for him was the right thing to do and it paid off for him, he enjoyed his life here.

My family came here with the understanding that we would all give it a chance, a year two at the most, but as time went by that idea changed, I arrived here at age 19 but the immigration process started when I was 17, I was a teenager and didn't have much say in the matter, I will leave it at that unless you want more details, I don't mind explaining.

I can understand you getting annoyed with some people trashing (rubbishing) a country that has taken them in treated them well, I agree with your position on that, its hardly the countries fault if a person didn't fit in, some people should just be grateful and put the blame where it lies.

Just to set the record straight you should know I don't hate it here, most people have treated me very well, I think no place is perfect that includes the UK and USA, it's all give and take.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
With all respect DeniseJ.

Not everyone that came here came of their own accord, I was one, I was enjoying my life in the UK, My Dad wanted a better life for us all, he had worked hard all his life and wasn't getting far, coming here for him was the right thing to do and it paid off for him, he enjoyed his life here.

My family came here with the understanding that we would all give it a chance, a year two at the most, but as time went by that idea changed, I arrived here at age 19 but the immigration process started when I was 17, I was a teenager and didn't have much say in the matter, I will leave it at that unless you want more details, I don't mind explaining.

I can understand you getting annoyed with some people trashing (rubbishing) a country that has taken them in treated them well, I agree with your position on that, its hardly the countries fault if a person didn't fit in, some people should just be grateful and put the blame where it lies.

Just to set the record straight you should know I don't hate it here, most people have treated me very well, I think no place is perfect that includes the UK and USA, it's all give and take.
I agree Fish, I have had many great years in the uS, its been my home since I was 18, now at almost 53 I want to go back to spend time with my parents. I cant trash the US, I am just one of the unlucky ones that had a health issue that has become my final straw. I had planned to go back to the UK anyway, that just made it happen sooner, and under different circumstances. I am going to miss alot of things here..I realized this evening when friends took me out to dinner, at a restaurant that over looks the entire las Vegas valley , that I will never see a sight like that anywhere else, and here its in my back yard here...but there are more important things in life, and its time to go...
Jackie..
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Okay how the heck did I ever miss the Royles, so funny, oh dear going to get even less done now......
Hello Charleygirl.

I'm so glad you got that Royale Family business sorted out, of course its not everybodies cuppa tea, I bought the series many years ago, I'm sure there are some new christmas specials I haven't seen.

Did you see the series "At home with the Braithwates", its was on BBC America about 6-7 years ago, it might be up your street.

It stars Amanda Redman of "New Tricks:" Peter Davidson (Tristan) and Linda Bellingham (Helen Herriot) of All Creatures great and small fame, Sylvia Syms and Julia Graham.

Amanda (Alison Braithwate) wins the euro lottery, I was hooked from the first show.

I did well this Christmas, Ireceived the full series of "Father Ted" and the "Vicar of Dibley" plus the first series of Doc Martin, it sure beats clothes that never seem to fit, plus its light enough to take back when the time comes.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I agree Fish, I have had many great years in the uS, its been my home since I was 18, now at almost 53 I want to go back to spend time with my parents. I cant trash the US, I am just one of the unlucky ones that had a health issue that has become my final straw. I had planned to go back to the UK anyway, that just made it happen sooner, and under different circumstances. I am going to miss alot of things here..I realized this evening when friends took me out to dinner, at a restaurant that over looks the entire las Vegas valley , that I will never see a sight like that anywhere else, and here its in my back yard here...but there are more important things in life, and its time to go...
Jackie..
Hello Jackie.
I understand totally, the Health thing, people need to experience it to believe it.

Vegas, what a place, I've been many times, I always enjoy myself, its not just a gambing thing as Im not much of a gambler myself, I like the sights, shows and driving around the outskirts, miles away from the strip.
I'm sure you will miss it.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=trottytrue;9050247

DDL....Must admit I showed my age when I actually thought you were talking about Noddy and Big Ears

dgjamison. In a perfect world and I had loads of money I would spend 3months in the US probably in Newport R.I. area and the rest of the time in the UK. There are some beautiful areas in R.I. When we moved to California from Floriday we drove the whole way with 3 little children it was the best time. We went through some absolutely beautiful areas. One that stuck in my mind all these years was Kerryville in Texas.[/QUOTE]

I must admit I thought of Noddy the children's character first too, but there's no wonder as Id just purchased a Noddy DVD for my nieces for Christmas, Yes its available here in America and I only paid $5 at a local store, it was a bargain, good quality and non violent, I watched it with them on Christmas day.

I loved the Slade's Merry Christmas song from the mid 70s, one of their best in my opinion.

If I had loads of money I too would have various homes in the states and the UK, a home in the Derbyshire/Notts Countryside, a vacation home by the Broads, a condo in Jackson Hole and maybe a condo here on the Oregon coast, and Id be self insured too.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I grew up being taught it was very bad manners to leave the TV on when we had visitors .

I have yet to visit an American home where it is not left on for "something in the background "

My DH is an American ,he still can't see why it does not sit easily with me when he leaves the TV on when we have friends over lol

I do not mean anything spiteful by this ...just an observation
Hello Gab.

I can see where you are coming from, I'm the same way, TV goes off, its just common courtesy.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Anyone heard from Fish n Chips recently? He's awfully quiet. I hope everything is OK.
Thanks for your concern Sally, all is well, I went back to the Rockies where I lived for 18 years, I really enjoyed it, deep snow and very cold but nothing stopped us.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow didn't realise you were there already, you sure move quick Tina!!

Hope your other son landed safely and you have a fantastic Christmas. Waiting to see photos of lovely rented Christmas house in the countryside.
Am replying to this although there are probably pages and pages of subsequent posts to catch up on--

--thank you for this, Barb--yes, it was a lovely Christmas (if chaotic because of the numbers of adults and children concerned!).

Other son did land safely, the countryside was an extraordinary sight, covered in snow, and as all readers probably know by now, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day the sun shone (at least in Gloucestershire) so there was the sun sparkling on the snow....most unusual for England, and bitterly cold, but very pretty.

Tina
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Correct, but you generally won't find a high quality pekoe in teabag tea. Companies like Mighty Leaf, Harney and others are, however, producing some very high quality teabags that contain whole leaf tea.

The interesting thing is, though (and research supports this) ... people of the UK are just so attuned to the taste of their tea (PG, etc) the way it is, that even if it meant higher quality, they wouldn't want it. They expect a certain taste in their tea, and they don't want any changes.

The 'younger generation' appear to be much more open to experimentation and trying new teas (flavoured, fruit, etc.) than the 'older generation' who are more than satisfied with the same old bold, strong black tea - usually with milk. There are a number of up and coming British tea companies who are run by young people and who are really pushing the tea envelope.
Re tea: This is probably now out of date, the thread moves so fast, but I just want to say that I LOVE Harney's teas.

I left the UK at 22 to live in Italy, then came to the US, and as I was never a tea drinker growing up in the UK (instant coffee in university rooms with friends was the thing) I wasn't attached to PG Tips or a particular English type of tea. I just knew that tea must be made with BOILING water (a continual struggle in US restaurants!) and knew I liked Earl Grey.

Through the US company Harneys (with which I have absolutely no connection, this is NOT an advertisement!!) I discovered a whole wonderful world of tea--amazing Assams, fabulous Chinese teas with names like GOlden Monkey,a ll kinds of complex flavours...as DDL says, they do good teabags, and also good leaf tea--which isn't messy if you buy the reusable mesh tealeaf holder thingy they sell--lasts for literally years.

Now back in UK (til I go to France on Jan 2!!) am enjoying Twinings Earl Grey and English Breakfast...
now I have become a tea addict, I'm glad to know there are some good tea rooms in France, and good tea is available to buy for home use too.

Tina
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
I agree with you, the more modern estate houses are a bit ugly, in my mind. I would be happy with an old terrace or semi, but one that has not been 'done up'. I would like to do that myself, so I would be looking for one that needed updating. Not sure how much we are going to be able to afford once there, but will be looking for the worst house on the best street, warts and all. We are leaning towards the Manchester area, but keep changing our minds since we will inevitably end up where the work is, so trying to keep open minds. I wish I could fast-forward my life, the suspense and anticipation is killing me.
Not sure how far away you are from the off or even if you need to work, but there is a job advertised on here for Manchester, admin type thingy.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698361
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:39 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
http://gallery.me.com/oheidio#100688...&bgcolor=black

See if this comes through. These people moved to Bath.
Nice pics, loved the snuggle blankets in the pub!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:41 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Very often, and maybe all of the time I'm not sure, Marks and Sparks do a wonderful deal whereby you can buy a side dish of your choice, be it vegetables or a mixed salad or whatever, then a main course of your choice - just select as required from a varied range of meals including veggie; then a choice of a dessert; and finally a choice of a bottle of wine to top it all off...all for £10, and easily sufficient to serve two people.

All of the stuff in M & S Food Departments (usually located at basement level down the escalators) is of extremely good quality for freshness, variety and presentation and, not least of all, the sheer quality of the food dishes on offer, and perhaps matched by the foodstuffs at Waitrose supermarkets where you can get similar deals, but most UK supermarkets now offer these sort of deals but M & S is about the best.
You can register on their website then you get a pre-alert when the £10 meal deal is on, that's what I used to do.

For a single person you could get 3 dinners out of it, except for the bottle of wine....hic.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Denise loved reading your post, be us all one day! I know what you mean about Christmas, this was the weirdest for me.......my children were really not interested too much, with no little ones it gets to be a non event. Big hugs though on missing your grandchildren.
Windsong so you have a while but you have a plan and believe me time flies!
Trotty i am so ready for a coffee next week!!!!! If you trust me to drive....
Thanks for the price comparisions Taffy and Cheers.
Pam hope you have a safe trip.
Barb not long now.........

Rodney how much was your excess...( just in case he pops in) and Fish time for you to come back now.!
Mine was a bit of a non-event too Charleygirl now the grand-kids are young teenagers, they got an iPod touch as did their cousin, all 3 girls sat on the sofa with their headphones on texting each other!!

I may as well have not been there really......
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Beedubya....My eldest was 5 when we came to the US. Don't think OH really wanted to stay in the UK but he tried. Back then they had to offer any job he applied for to a British subject and then after 3 had refused he got the opportunity to take the job. Things have changed since then. We moved back to Florida were his Mum and family lived but he didnt like Florida and the heat so we moved to California after 3 years we moved to Rhode Island which I really liked. We lived on the Island for 18years but then he was made redundant and got the job up here in New Hampshire which I really dislike. I suppose it depends were you live. He would be happy to stay in the US but always promised me that if I wanted he would take me back to the UK when he retired. I think he thought I would change my mind as the years went by. But here I sit and wait. Somedays are better than others.

I was never a big traveller I went on holiday with friends to Spain and Italy but was always glad to get home. Loved living in Chester but I really think I was suffering from depression after my third child and various operations and family squables. I have always said that when deciding to move to another country you need to take a deep breath and think about it and not do it on a whim. I already knew I didnt want to move but I was stuck or so I though I didnt want to look like a fool and back out at the last minute so I kept my mouth shut and here we are 30years later. Only myself to blame. As my Mum would say. Weak as water...........

I read today that Cilla Black does not want to live past 75. OMG I thought that does not give me long to enjoy myself before its over. The thought really depressed me. But my Mum was 93 when she died and my Granny was 90 and they did pretty well.
Yes TT, I suppose we can all look back and say "How did I end up here and feeling like this?"

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Don't know what's up with Cilla, I saw her on the Paul O'Grady Christmas Special on Tuesday kicking her heels up and having a right old good time!! Maybe she was missing Bobby?

My mother is 82 and raring to go, hope I have inherited her genes, she only gave up line dancing a few years ago LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.