Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He must have been brain dead and have been on a life support machine to keep him breathing. He was being artificially kept alive by the machine...once the machine was turned off...nature took its course.
Yes that is my understanding.
86 years old I think.
He retired awhile ago as a Delta Airlines chief pilot and he told me it was getting too dangerous to fly so at least he got to die normally.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yes that is my understanding.
86 years old I think.
He retired awhile ago as a Delta Airlines chief pilot and he told me it was getting too dangerous to fly so at least he got to die normally.
It must have been quite a while ago...because pre 2007 pilots of US commercial planes had to retire at 60...it was changed to 65 in 2007.

Both my father and FIL died suddenly from a heart attack. Whilst I was heartbroken that I didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye...I was pleased that they died suddenly with little suffering.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It must have been quite a while ago...because pre 2007 pilots of US commercial planes had to retire at 60...it was changed to 65 in 2007.

Both my father and FIL died suddenly from a heart attack. Whilst I was heartbroken that I didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye...I was pleased that they died suddenly with little suffering.
My Dad died at the young age of 72 of a heart attack, a year before he died Dad and Mum came to visit me when I was still living in Lake Tahoe, it was
1988 and they stayed with me at my place for two & half months while they got there extension done on there house, (big new kitchen) little did I know when I hugged them both so hard when they left to go back home that it would be the very last time I would see my Dad, he was a wonderful man, he would gladly give the shirt off his back if someone needed it,
When you loose your Mum or your Dad they stay in your heart forever dont they,
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
My Dad died at the young age of 72 of a heart attack, a year before he died Dad and Mum came to visit me when I was still living in Lake Tahoe, it was
1988 and they stayed with me at my place for two & half months while they got there extension done on there house, (big new kitchen) little did I know when I hugged them both so hard when they left to go back home that it would be the very last time I would see my Dad, he was a wonderful man, he would gladly give the shirt off his back if someone needed it,
They do indeed. They are the people you have loved for the longest amount of time. Their love and presence was there when you were born and throughout your life...like the air you breathe.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness...we have lived the same ending to our parents life. Mine came to Texas every one or two years. Last visit for my Dad in 1989. We all met up in Canada, my brother from South Africa, my brother and parents from Belfast, my sister and family from Okotoks, Alberta, and my husband, me and our two children at the Banff Springs Hotel. it is an experience I would love to repeat. Then they all came to Texas for 2000 celebrations.
Sadly my dad died suddenly in Feb 2001.......I was divorced in Feb same year. My dad was 84.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi all my expat friends, just wanting to check in... been home almost 6 months now wow... everything is going okay but I miss my girls so much.. and I am going back to NH next week for 2 weeks. My son is also returning, he has found it impossible to get a job and he never managed to even get one penny job seekers, said he has made no contributions even though we gave Tax returns from US and then we applied on income based and were told he could not proove habitual residency although he was never interviewed by anyone, we have appealed but so far no joy and as i can not afford to support him he too is returning with me.
I have finally got myself a job, not what i wanted but had to take it as my money is almost gone, now looking for a cheaper place to live too. I am going to start work as a Elder carer when I return.
The winter has been so mild and weather good, I love the countryside and am very happy with the people i meet and I find everyone very friendly in the shops etc. It is not easy though and money is very tight for me. I have had help with my rent and Council tax but that will end when I start full time work on my return.
I think life would have been so much easier for me had the pension age not been changed I could have worked less and my pension help me out. I will be working 6 days a week and 5 days a week on a rota. Wages are 6 pound 71 and hour. I can not retire until july 2013, seems forever away.
My mum has been very sick and we have been very woried about her, I did think the end was close, she is 89 and has very poor lungs and kidneys....she has smoked since she was 14 and still is about 15 a day
I will be honest i do not know what the future holds for me and when my mum is gone I will be thinking again. I miss my children just way too much.....and they have had a hard time over it too. I have been torn constantly. For those who dont know me ( I think we have some new folks) my girls are 19 and my son will be 21 next month.
Any news from Trotty anyone, i have not heard from her for ages.
Sally what is the latest on the house etc.
Fish how are you old friend!
Great to hear from you Charley, though so sorry things have been so tough....it's good that you'll be going back to NH for a visit.

A shame you had to take a job you didn't really want...but at least you are clearly a kind person and the elders in your care will be in good hands.

Your children are still young, as Beedubya says, and not really settled as adults--of course you miss them--and of course we miss those who are settled as well, but perhaps with a bit less worry thrown in...

Well, keep on keeping on, good luck, let us know how things go....

Tina
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching a couple of programs on TV yesterday, one was (homes under the hammer) the other (secret location) I Knew that property in the South of England was very highly priced but most of these properties were 2 to 3 bedroom flats, the distance for most were within one hour commute to london, most flats that were viewed were in really terrible condition and mostly fixer uppers, or as they say first time buyers, and the asking price for all was between £335k to £350k yes this is GBP so around half a freaking million US dollars ---- WOW
one owner of a small 2 bedroom ground floor flat with a really tiny garden and small rooms, somewhere within an hour from London, cant remember the town, but it certainly was not a prime location by any stroke of the imagination, well it was listed for £350k but they were having trouble selling it, and was on the market for 15 months already, and guess what they reduced the price to £349k Ha ha ha WOW pretty darn big of them Huh
and this flat only had a 76 year lease too, so that was another problem as most people are looking for a 99 year lease,
But I still cant understand why buying a leasehold flat rather then a freehold house is so popular here in U.K. an then you still have to pay a monthly housing asocassociation fee too,

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 27th 2012 at 10:40 am.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:26 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

A much belated post from highspeedgrandma!

Hi everyone. Never sure which thread to post in, so I chose the over 50's seeing as that is what I am! LOL.

How is everyone? I haven't had chance to get on here for ages, but I never stop thinking about you all and the wonderful friends I made on here. If anyone is interested I can post an update having been back in England now for almost a year after 20+ years in the US.

Hope you are all well.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma

Hi everyone. Never sure which thread to post in, so I chose the over 50's seeing as that is what I am! LOL.

How is everyone? I haven't had chance to get on here for ages, but I never stop thinking about you all and the wonderful friends I made on here. If anyone is interested I can post an update having been back in England now for almost a year after 20+ years in the US.

Hope you are all well.
OK I'll put the kettle on and am waiting for the update, good to see you back.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma

Hope you are all well.
Hello HSG ----- WOW we thought we lost you, OH yes I for one would absolutely love to hear an update from you after almost your first year in England, and I think we all would like to know everything on your mind, Pros and cons, How has your life changed? is there Anything you particulary miss in America, what kind of things really bug the heck out of you over here in UK, and what things do you really love about life at home?
You and I and Barb and Don and charleygirl and a few others have all been back home around a year now, me 14 months already,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching a couple of programs on TV yesterday, one was (homes under the hammer) the other (secret location) I Knew that property in the South of England was very highly priced but most of these properties were 2 to 3 bedroom flats, the distance for most were within one hour commute to london, most flats that were viewed were in really terrible condition and mostly fixer uppers, or as they say first time buyers, and the asking price for all was between £335k to £350k yes this is GBP so around half a freaking million US dollars ---- WOW
one owner of a small 2 bedroom ground floor flat with a really tiny garden and small rooms, somewhere within an hour from London, cant remember the town, but it certainly was not a prime location by any stroke of the imagination, well it was listed for £350k but they were having trouble selling it, and was on the market for 15 months already, and guess what they reduced the price to £349k Ha ha ha WOW pretty darn big of them Huh
and this flat only had a 76 year lease too, so that was another problem as most people are looking for a 99 year lease,
But I still cant understand why buying a leasehold flat rather then a freehold house is so popular here in U.K. an then you still have to pay a monthly housing asocassociation fee too,
Ah yes but if you buy into a retirement place you will have to pay the monthly fees but you will pay nowhere near the above prices and if you buy in my development you will be half an hour from London Waterloo (and I will get a bonus if one is sold, it's all part of the job )

We have 3 x 1 bedroom flats for sale (between £125,000 to £145,000) and 1 x 2 bedroom bungalow for £195,000.

These are 125 year old leases commencing in 1988, any buyers?

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 27th 2012 at 11:09 am.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ah yes but if you buy into a retirement place you will have to pay the monthly fees but you will pay nowhere near the above prices and if you buy in my development you will be half an hour from London Waterloo (and I will get a bonus if one is sold, it's all part of the job )

We have 3 x 1 bedroom flats for sale (between £125,000 to £145,000) and 1 x 2 bedroom bungalow for £195,000.

These are 125 year old leases commencing in 1988, any buyers?
I'll send my Mum right over She's looking at flats, and she refuses to look at a retirement one, I think she still has that, "I'm not living with all those old people attitude" She's 73
I said she's better off buying the house next door to her, it's smaller than hers and we will be next door too, maybe thats the part thats put her off
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Two things I would like to know and they are sooo unrelated.

Who on our forum bought a flat in Eastbourne? Have we heard from them lately?

second question that will bend your mind.......

Do they still sell those hand soaps in the UK. It use to be the thing in finding these great soaps that had tremendous fragrances. We use to find them in Boots Chemist. Soaps are not a big thing in the US.

Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Two things I would like to know and they are sooo unrelated.

Who on our forum bought a flat in Eastbourne? Have we heard from them lately?

second question that will bend your mind.......

Do they still sell those hand soaps in the UK. It use to be the thing in finding these great soaps that had tremendous fragrances. We use to find them in Boots Chemist. Soaps are not a big thing in the US.

Cheers
I am not into hand soaps myself I prefer those liquid hand washes however in TK Maxx they ALWAYS have really gorgeous boxes of hand soaps for those who prefer this type.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'll send my Mum right over She's looking at flats, and she refuses to look at a retirement one, I think she still has that, "I'm not living with all those old people attitude" She's 73
I said she's better off buying the house next door to her, it's smaller than hers and we will be next door too, maybe thats the part thats put her off
Send her to my place Pauline, I could do with the commission.

My mum has the same attitude too, and she's 83 LOL!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 27th 2012 at 7:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.