Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mallory

Don, over the course of time it's obvious you don't much like the US. That's okay - you don't live here. I remember you complained about Thailand all the time. Did you move to Thailand because you didn't love G Britain?
Hi Mallory,
In Dons defence I feel that I just have to enlighten you a little on the circumstances that pulled him in the direction of Thailand,
Although he has been to many countries in the world he is a true Brit and Gentleman in every sense of the word,
He has lived in England as far as I know all his life, he loves England, he was married to his wife for a very long time until she suddenly died,
He was left alone, and its not very nice to be alone when you are older, he traveled to Thailand, met Tim, they fell in love, got married, lived together in Thailand for 4 years, he built a lovely big house over there from scratch, you should see this place, He showed me the pictures, and for there own reasons they decided to move back to England together,
Don has left all his in laws and Tims family and all his friends back in Thailand, and I know for a fact that he misses them as much as his wife Tippawan does,
He worked hard in England all his life in a good Job for something like 40 years or more, I have nothing but the utmost respect for this man, he is very friendly and extremely outgoing, he makes you feel at ease in his company the very moment you meet him,

As far as America is concerned Im sure that he has absolutely nothing against the country OR its people, and he has never on this thread given that impression to anyone as far as I know.

Anyway this is not a rant my friend, just saying
Take it easy,
Rodney.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 8th 2012 at 2:53 am. Reason: fixing quotes again
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone...long lost Jackie here,

Sorry it has taken me so long to let you know what I am up to, but finally decided to write a note.
I returned back in Las Vegas on July 21st..I admit that the first couple of days I had a few panic attacks wondering if I had done the right thing. I finally went back to work (same job I left), and settled back in with my roommate and best friend. Nothing had really changed, except I dont have a car now. My roommate lets me use hers, witch is good because it is actually my old car that I sold her when I left.. Anyway, I dont have any regrets about coming back, the US is my home. I enjoyed my time with my parents in England..and all of the experiences I had in the 6 months I was there.
Whatever problems the US has, it is my home. England has its share of problems to..the welfare state is dragging it down, and although it does alot of good for alot of people, it also creates people who feel that they are owed a living, instead of having to earn one. I got annoyed when I heard people complaining that they had to pay seven pounds fifty for a prescription..they didnt realize how little that is...the NHS is in trouble, they get medical treatment free at point of use, and they are complaining about 7 pounds fifty for a prescription.
It wasnt for me..I guess ill take my chances here in America, the land of air conditioners....
Happy New Year, everyone..I hope it finds you all Healthy, happy, and in the land of your heart, where ever that may be..
Jackie
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv

Sorry it has taken me so long to let you know what I am up to, but finally decided to write a note.
I returned back in Las Vegas on July 21st..I admit that the first couple of days I had a few panic attacks wondering if I had done the right thing. I finally went back to work (same job I left), and settled back in with my roommate and best friend. Nothing had really changed, except I dont have a car now. My roommate lets me use hers, witch is good because it is actually my old car that I sold her when I left.. Anyway, I dont have any regrets about coming back, the US is my home. I enjoyed my time with my parents in England..and all of the experiences I had in the 6 months I was there.
Whatever problems the US has, it is my home. England has its share of problems to..the welfare state is dragging it down, and although it does alot of good for alot of people, it also creates people who feel that they are owed a living, instead of having to earn one. I got annoyed when I heard people complaining that they had to pay seven pounds fifty for a prescription..they didnt realize how little that is...the NHS is in trouble, they get medical treatment free at point of use, and they are complaining about 7 pounds fifty for a prescription.
It wasnt for me..I guess ill take my chances here in America, the land of air conditioners....
Happy New Year, everyone..I hope it finds you all Healthy, happy, and in the land of your heart, where ever that may be..
Jackie
Hey Jackie, Good to hear from you and hear your comments pro and con. Glad you are happy with your decision.

IMHO the most important thing about this thread is that we honour and value all the varied opinions and points of view knowing that there is not only one right decision for all, but up to each of us to find the right decision for us.... and of course, the right to change our minds when that feels right too.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie
Wow Jackie, Its Great to hear from you, I was thinking about you today, I know that sounds crazy but its true.

I understand your post and know its true, some people in the UK have no clue and just take the NHS for granted, most of that is due to the reason its always been there for them just like water coming out of a tap... at least you knew its value...

Im glad you are happy and hope this year is very good to you, all the Best Fish...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jan 6th 2012 at 7:31 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:02 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LadyinLV, I'm glad you found that you made the right decision and are happy back in the US. I must admit I had worried about you from time to time because we didn't hear anything. Did you manage to get healthcare coverage so you can have your check-ups?

People in the UK certainly do like to complain about their lot don't they? The NHS has been amazing for 4 members of my family in the last year - I mean truly amazing - and yet they still find things to complain about. Currently my mum is feeling hard done by because she will have to contribute to my gran's care home costs by selling gran's house. Despite the fact that the local government is actually sharing those costs, which I think is amazing. I just tell her off gently every time she complains and remind her how lucky she is.

I have a feeling that will become a full-time job for me when I'm back
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:05 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

Hi Mallory,
In Dons defence I feel that I just have to enlighten you a little on the circumstances that pulled him in the direction of Thailand,
Although he has been to many countries in the world he is a true Brit and Gentleman in every sense of the word,
He has lived in England as far as I know all his life, he loves England, he was married to his wife for a very long time until she suddenly died,
He was left alone, and its not very nice to be alone when you are older, he traveled to Thailand, met Tim, they fell in love, got married, lived together in Thailand for 4 years, he built a lovely big house over there from scratch, you should see this place, He showed me the pictures, and for there own reasons they decided to move back to England together,
Don has left all his in laws and Tims family and all his friends back in Thailand, and I know for a fact that he misses them as much as his wife Tippawan does,
He worked hard in England all his life in a good Job for something like 40 years or more, I have nothing but the utmost respect for this man, he is very friendly and extremely outgoing, he makes you feel at ease in his company the very moment you meet him,

As far as America is concerned Im sure that he has absolutely nothing against the country OR its people, and he has never on this thread given that impression to anyone as far as I know.

Anyway this is not a rant my friend, just saying
Take it easy,
Rodney.
Rodney, my story is not too different from Don. I am a Tru Brit too, but I am also an American citizen, and I have an American DH, American children, and American in-laws.

I met my DH in Germany, and our daughter was born there. It was a big step for me to move to the US - it wasn't in my plans in my mid 20s. I just happened to marry an American. I gave up my family in England too, just like Don did. I miss them a lot. So I'm like a lot of people here, I have spent my adult life trying to balance family life on 2 continents. I like and respect everyone on this thread - but really the title of the thread is over 50s moving back to the UK. I'm sure most people aren't interested in reading about the state of the USA, and how people are being thrown out on the streets.

I spent some time yesterday going through Pistol Pete's old posts. What a wealth of information! Thanks Pete. Hubby and I are going to England in July. I think we have decided not to buy a holiday flat, and just get rentals, so that we can stay in different areas. I went to Ireland this past summer, and we want to go to Scotland after he retires.

On re-reading Pete's posts, I think that Dorchester and Exeter are good places to stay. We won't buy a car after we retire, we will rent one when needed. But Dorchester and Exeter are on the train lines with good connections. I love the south coast of England, and have spent many holidays there. I want to rediscover the little seaside places that my parents used to take us to as children. I also spent a lot of time in Wiltshire, and love that area too. I also re-read some of June/John's posts, which are also very interesting, with good pointers.

I have some BA miles, so am going on line today to look for some tickets. With the Olympics this year, I think prices will be high!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 8th 2012 at 2:54 am. Reason: fixing quotes again
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie
Welcome back Jackie, so good to hear you got back safe and you are all settled back in again.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie
Welcome home Jackie! So good to hear you are happily settled back in USA. At least through the experience, you found out where home truly is for you.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Welcome home Jackie! So good to hear you are happily settled back in USA. At least through the experience, you found out where home truly is for you.
Agreed Celtic, now Jackie can finally settle down happily and not have to wonder what if................

So good to hear from you Jackie, do keep in touch from time to time as you are now a British expat once again.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:38 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, how is the new job going? Are you settled into your new place yet?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Stone the crows our Jackie is back.
Thank you for posting.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie
Nice post Jackie, and I am pleased that you have settled back in Vegas, and fancy you driving your car that you sold to your best friend, or rather your sharing it, that worked out pretty good for you, I always had a car in Vegas all the years I lived there ----- its hard living there without a car, and it must be a good feeling to not have to pay equivalent to $10 per gallon like we do over here
Good for you, stay happy
Rodney.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie
Jackie, it is good to hear from you and then you have resettled well. J.J and I send you our best wishes.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I do like that Americans have a positive outlook even when they are down...
If I miss anything about the US now that I am in the UK it is the US peoples mostly upbeat positive optimistic attitude
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:34 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
If I miss anything about the US now that I am in the UK it is the US peoples mostly upbeat positive optimistic attitude
Yes, I think that is going to be really hard about being back. Even my friends and family, who I adore, drive me nutty with their negativity. I plan to ban them from moaning any time they cross the threshold of our house but I don't know how well it will go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.