Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
, I used to chuck the banger fireworks under the girls legs to scare them
Oh now it comes out and I thought you were a innocent gentle chap as shown in the photo.

Last edited by cheers; Oct 26th 2011 at 12:41 am.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Barb I love you, you can be sooooo funny sometimes
Aw shucks.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes you are in top form tonight we in portsmouth also had a bonfire at the top of every street as big and splendid as we could build it, I used to chuck the banger fireworks under the girls legs to scare them
used to build a guy fawkes, had a can, could you spare a copper sir I would say Oh the memories of long ago when there were very few silly rules to live by, we Just lived!!!!!
Funny enough I was in Debenham's in Manchester on Saturday evening and as I was approaching the door a big bang went off and everybody was shocked and startled as if a gun had gone off and the 2 security guards ran out to the front and as I got nearer to the door I could smell the gunpowder and everybody was laughing because we had all been so scared of a banger and I had really forgotten such things existed.

It wasn't you Rodney was it?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I wrote on another thread about tinned Pumpkin slices I saw in TK Maxx last night and Sally reminded me they were for Thanksgiving, something we don't have here as you know.

There was a fair bit of American food in TK Maxx, probably getting it in for Christmas like Reece's Peanut Butter in jars and this gross fluoro pink marshmallow in a jar!! And those oh so yummy jelly beans.

One thing I have noticed is how Americanised Britain has become regarding Halloween. Now when I left here in 1981 there was nothing to speak of, just bob apple and duck apple and that was about it. And in Australia it really is not much to talk about either. Well how times have changed, all over the supermarkets are pumpkins and ghoulish masks and wigs and costumes and ghostly sweets for the kids and people are buying stuff to get dressed up and having vampire parties and stuff.

Oh and fireworks sold openly in the supermarkets ready for Guy Fawke's day on November 5th, remember, remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot........... well fireworks for private use have been banned forever in Australia, sure they have the spectacular public pyrotechnics on New Years Eve in Sydney Harbour on the bridge but private fireworks, no. I think you used to be able to buy them in Canberra (the capital city) but you had to have a licence or something, and needless to say as we never had Guy Fawke's day over there we never bought any when my kids were young and today I saw rockets and Catherine wheels and Roman candles and sparklers and I have no idea where I was in 2009 but this year I may make it to a bonfire (bommie) and relive my childhood when we used to raid the wood from other streets and build a big bonfire in the middle of each street and all kinds of stuff would be thrown onto the fire to keep it burning (elf and safety rules anybody?) and we would make a guy out of old clothes and stuff it with newspaper and hang around street corners "Penny for the guy mister" or maybe I will stay inside with the heater on and with a nice bottle of Aussie Cabernet Sauvignon and watch Coronation Street and eat some Thornton's Mini Caramel Shortcakes like I bought from Tesco's tonight for a quid.
GANNET! Only joking. Don ( there- but for the Grace of God, go I)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Oh now it comes out and I thought you were a innocent gentle chap as shown in the photo.
WHAT PHOTO?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this might be helpful to some ... I talked to a pet relocation company yesterday. She told me that pets can fly into Manchester as long as their owners are on the same flight. If the owners are on a different flight, the pets have to go to London.

Trotty, I think this might help you? (By the way, hope you're feeling OK!)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT PHOTO?
The one Don posted when you went to visit.
So you were one of those naughty boys who liked to scare the girls. Tut tut.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Very interesting that two people who were living in Australia should both feel there's less racism in the UK than there.

Tina
Just going back and checking out some of the posts I missed when I was away in Shropshire visiting Don and his lovely wife,
Tina this is very interesting to me too, I cant comment on the racism in Australia now but way back in the mid 60,s when I was living there I saw none at all,

In my three years in Canada in the mid 70,s I could not see any there either,

As a matter of fact I can honestly say that the very first time in my life that I ever experienced racism (AND) saw racism was as soon as I started my life in America in 1977 and wow it was all around me, everywhere I lived, it was serious in your face racism ---- the blacks to the whites and the whites to the blacks mostly, although the whites pretty well hated the chinese and Vietnamese too, well in my opinion although over three decades have past by now but I honestly see little progress with the feelings that blacks and whites have for each other in general, no matter what age group,

Now I have lived home in England now for almost a year and I also cant see any racism here at all, here at home its just a different feeling altogether,
where I live in Portsmouth its a city with around 200,000 not big but not small either, and since I left many moons ago just like most cities in England huge populations of different ethnic groups have moved here, and now even 2nd and 3rd generations, but everything is so different here, somehow people seem to have worked out how to get along with each other,
Im not used to this at all, its the exact opposite to the feeling you have in America, and I really like it
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,
Go over to the CHIT CHAT forum and look at posting #2735 and you will see the pictures Don posted.

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it depends where you live in either country as to whether there is a race problem. For the most part I don't think people think about it anymore.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney,
Go over to the CHIT CHAT forum and look at posting #2735 and you will see the pictures Don posted.

Cheers
OK thanks Cheers Im on my way over there now to check them out, I have never seen them, #2735 Huh OK off I go,
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thought this might be helpful to some ... I talked to a pet relocation company yesterday. She told me that pets can fly into Manchester as long as their owners are on the same flight. If the owners are on a different flight, the pets have to go to London.

Trotty, I think this might help you? (By the way, hope you're feeling OK!)
This is all on the Defra approved routes page that we've posted before Sally:

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/wildlife...eu-air-sea.pdf

BTW congrats on moving your move forward. Great stuff.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:22 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya! cant keep up with you lot! I poppped in and had a lovely message from Totty which inspired me to post a quick update. I have skimmed through to catch up on some of you.
Cant believe the 7th of Nov will be 6 years back home. Just want to say agin, when it gets tough...stick through it..it pays off loads. I am sooo content here and have been for the past several years. Before that it was happy and settled for the most but waves of panic sometimes go through you which get fewer with time. I have total peace within me now about my return home. So lets see... I have now been working at New Look for four years. have bought a home in a lovely village in Cheshire. Have lovely neighbours...really good mates.....and loads of fun! My daughter now has two little girls born here in my birthland, which is lovely. Son is doing very well in
3rd year at uni studying psychology. Husband has been a postie for 5 years now and loves it as he meets the loveliest people and learns so much about the local area. We get out regularly to the pub the listen to his mate's band. I have nights out with my girly mates from work. We have lovely days out with daughter and grandkids. Our village has regular family events which is so lovely.
My sister visited in June this year and luckily her american husband loved it so much that they are discussing her taking early retirement in 2 years and moving over!
I really cant think of any downs to be honest. Of course me little dog is 16 now so I worry over him quite a bit, but for now he is well.
I still have dreams of lottery win to help other returnees and their pets. I wont give up hope on that.
Anything I can do...just message me x
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of fact I can honestly say that the very first time in my life that I ever experienced racism (AND) saw racism was as soon as I started my life in America in 1977 and wow it was all around me, everywhere I lived, it was serious in your face racism ---- the blacks to the whites and the whites to the blacks mostly, although the whites pretty well hated the chinese and Vietnamese too, well in my opinion although over three decades have past by now but I honestly see little progress with the feelings that blacks and whites have for each other in general, no matter what age group
Rodney its the first thing I noticed as soon as I got here, this country is very racist and living in the past, I love how some white folks drop these racist comments to me assuming I'm just like them, it really turns my stomach, Idiots, and we wonder why this country has problems.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, finally got internet at home!!
Sally I see you have moved your date forward, when too?
calle great update thank you!
I dont have time at the moment to go back and read everything. So have just read the last two pages.
I hope everyone is well.
My update goes as follows.
Have moved into a lovely little bungalow, in a lovely quite area of Leicestershire. But very close to everything.......Asda Tescos Bank PO news agent Next Dunhelm Boots all with in 5 mins in the car.

My daughters have been here for a week and today they are meeting their dad and brother in London to go to kent for 5 days and then they will all be back here with me til 16th Nov then the girls go back to USA. This was not part of my plans and it has been very unsettling for me, I will be honest and say I dont think my girls and son have done well with out me, for those who dont know me, my girls are 19 my son 20 and half.
Dad bought son a one way ticket I just hope he can settle here. it was not really sons choice.
I myself have a job lined up in Child Care I was a nursery nurse in my previous life... but i have to wait for a Criminal records back ground check which can take 4- weeks! I have applied for various Christmas jobs from packing gifts sets to card shop and TK Makk, never got so much as a reply.
I need money asap though.......I am going to list some of my expenses. I did have a little money from divorce settlement that paid 6 months up front rent. But if I end up with my children here I have totally shot myself in the foot as I left the home to hubby!
Anyway all in pounds.
Rent for 2 bedroom bunalow 610.00 a month
Council tax divided into 4 monthly payments of 170.00 ( big shocker there) that was to cover 5 months I think.
Sky TV internet and broad band 37.00 a month
Mobile 15.00 a month 300 mins and unlimited text.
TV licence 145.00 a year paying that one monthly.
Car tax 110 pounds for months
Mot 40 pounds a year.
Not had a water or gas or electric bill yet.
Food i have found when it was just me I can live quite cheaply but now my children have been here it has gone crazy.......but if they are here long term then things would have to change.
Bus into town 3.50 return but I usually go to town with my mum and she is disabled so it is free.
Doctors, been twice, first time was for some sleeping tablets as I could not sleep, following on from rodney, I found it amusing when he asked me if I wanted the stronger ones or not so strong and let me chose..... never so much as checked me out, this was first time seeing him........never asked me if I had any allergies, it was all so casual!
Second time I had to give a urine sample, nothing to clean of with in the bathroom and he did not wear gloves to handle the specimen. But all in all I have no complaints about getting appointments, first time I forgot I was eligible for free scripts being unemployed so paid 7.50.
Next time I got it free as I am on Job seekers, I have recieved 3 lots of that now 67.00 pounds a week.
Signing on continues to be an eye opener. I find them very thorough and asking me what I have done to get work, and very very helpful, got an appointment to help me further with my CV. And also was given number to call for help with getting older people back to work, so called that they will call me when they get anything suitable. Very friendly, nice and very supportive.
Went to dentists as I needed a filling, go that done and cleaning, did not have to pay as on Job Seekers.

Loving the pubs and country walks, Leicester is a huge multicultural city and we have the largest Diwalli festival outside of India, so I went to that last week, it was amazing, it was a case of spot the white person but me and my friends loved it I tried food I had never had before and the "sweets" were to die for!
http://www.leicestersgoldenmile.com/
I grew up there back in the days when you only ever saw white faces and maybe the occasional dark skinned one. Today it is totally Asian.

Trying to think if there is anything else worth talking about, dont want to bore you all. But if you have any questions please ask.

I am going to be 60 on Thanksgiving day! I feel as if my life is starting over.
Good luck to everyone, Oh I do want to add, there have been days when I have thought OMG what have I done, but knowing i can walk in and see my mum whenever i want has helped.
I dont know what the future will bring, I do know my children have not done well with out me and so a return to USA maybe a consideration in the not so distant future but for now I am here to stay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.