Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:05 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Englishmum
That's so sad, Cheers

Just a gentle reminder - the Olympics take place next year and flight prices are likely to be high, unless you can go after the games have ended
When are the games? We have to go back for a wedding in August.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
When are the games? We have to go back for a wedding in August.
July 27th to August 12th 2012
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
July 27th to August 12th 2012
Wedding is on the 13th

Maybe prices won't be so bad if we fly right at the end of the timeframe.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wedding is on the 13th

Maybe prices won't be so bad if we fly right at the end of the timeframe.
That was bad timing.
Ds is moving to UK in 2012 and because of the Olympics he's delaying all the way to September, at least kids are back in school and it'll be cheaper fares for me to pay for.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
DDL has passed her driving test. Maybe she will come back on the list now.

Cheers
But she did that ages ago
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I know what you mean, I censor what I have to complain about or my opinions on what is happening here with my friends, they are all staunch republicans, and poor as church mice, but get very put out if I point out the obvious.
Dh is feeling very low this week. Two more of our sons friends have just moved house, into rental property after losing their homes to the banks. Both due to one parent other other losing work for a number of months and both families are back working full time and doing well, but having fallen so far behind the banks have put them out. It makes him very depressed to see people like ourselves losing out.
This makes me terribly sad. It's a crime that the banks are able to do this since they created the meltdown in the first place. Funny how there's money for bailouts, war, security, etc. but not to allow the average Joe to hang on to their home. Really glad to see people finally taking action and marching on Wall Street. I don't think we've seen the end of this by a long shot.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by bandrui
This makes me terribly sad. It's a crime that the banks are able to do this since they created the meltdown in the first place. Funny how there's money for bailouts, war, security, etc. but not to allow the average Joe to hang on to their home. Really glad to see people finally taking action and marching on Wall Street. I don't think we've seen the end of this by a long shot.
Me too, here it seems no one seems to be taking the march on wall street seriously. Practically the whole of the middle east has changed due to people who have had enough and take a stand, yet Americans don't think it's going to happen here, Why not, why is this place any different. I hope it causes a huge shake up and lots of changes, Business as usual needs to end, especially with the government who won't get down to sorting anything, they are more concerned about being re elected than solving problems.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Going home.
I don't see it happening for some time. I would be on the next plane if it was up to me. In the mean time I can dream by being on this forum, British news and clips on YouTube.
I don't hate it in the US, far from it, but I would love being in England me thinks. I was last there in 2002 for a visit.
I think we may be going for a trip to England next year and we should stay for over 3 weeks.
One dream is being in England and just standing outside in the drizzle and again just standing there.
OK I have to go looking on Rightmove today to get my fix.
Cheers
Cheers do you have any family in the U.K.? ------ you know I was thinking that your story is very simular to Easterndawn/Pegie ----- she was in Canada since she was a child of 11 I think, and you mentioned the other day that you had been in America since you were a child,
Anyway who knows cheers you and your wife one day may want to come and live in England and settle, its never too late, if you want to you will.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I totally agree, we need change for the better in his country, the working class has been pushed around far too long, Our election system needs reform, politcians need to work for us instead of big business and the Koch brothers.

We need banking reform and healthcare for all, if things dont get on the right track soon we will be slaves for these worthless corparations.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I totally agree, we need change for the better in his country, the working class has been pushed around far too long, Our election system needs reform, politcians need to work for us instead of big business and the Koch brothers.

We need banking reform and healthcare for all, if things dont get on the right track soon we will be slaves for these worthless corparations.
As I type, Barac is speaking to reporters and he is making more sense than the professional long term politicians.
The politicians are looking out for their own high salaries and benefits.
The Republican presidential candidates are shouting jobs, jobs and jobs well if they can't get their party to move on this now why should we elect them in 2012?
I am not going to vote for a Republican president if they wont work for the country right now by passing the bills that exist right now to get the country moving.
We are in a serious situation and congress wants to play games, well guess what the people are acting and taking to the streets.
Enough is enough!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers do you have any family in the U.K.? ------ you know I was thinking that your story is very simular to Easterndawn/Pegie ----- she was in Canada since she was a child of 11 I think, and you mentioned the other day that you had been in America since you were a child,
Anyway who knows cheers you and your wife one day may want to come and live in England and settle, its never too late, if you want to you will.
I have cousins in England that I'm not in contact with and I don't care to.
Although I first came to the US as a child I think I'm like you because I bounced around quite a bit.
I have lived in Japan for 2 years and also went back to the UK for 2 years when I was 22 years old.

I was thinking during the night that for some reason we in the US look down on any country or people who are not from the US. Wrong I know and I'm wondering why? I think it is because of the media in the US. (forward this to DDL and maybe she will come back on here). Anyone else have any ideas about this? Will I feel this way when I come home to live?

Rodney do you know about the Thanksgiving shindig for Americans in Portsmouth this year?

Cheers mate
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers...I have lived in the US for over 30 years we lived in Florida, California , Rhode Island and now New Hampshire. I dont remember the people I met ever looking down on other countries or people from other countries because they are not from the US. In fact most people I know are very generous when it comes to giving to others less fortunate than themselves. To be honest my family are so busy getting on with their own lives they havnt the time to think about other countries. My Oh and my children dont talk about it. But then they dont watch much TV News.

I dont think DDL would agree with your statement and she might just think it was another jab at the US and meant to insight more hostile feelings.

I will not be voting for Obama he became President with wonderful speeches about how he was going to be the great reconciler instead he has become the great divider. He changes his tone and accent depending on who he is speaking to. For his rich friends and audiences he speaks with that well bred tone but when speaking to the 'lower' class he puts on that stupid accent, to me that is very demeaning to those people. Does he not think they will understand him if he speaks in his everyday educated accent.

Anyway this is not the forum for this I should move it over to the Chit Chat thread.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

WHERE SHOULD WE LIVE.

I think many of you have this problem. My family all live up North. Lancashire and Cheshire I have a sister who lives outside London and I have friends who live both North and South. But in the end where do I want to live.
When we went down South to Dorset I loved it I love the lifestyle I love the easy tranquil life they lead. So in an ideal world I would move all my relatives down South. My niece on the otherhand likes Norfolk but I think it would be fine for a holiday but it is very flat.

I have looked at houses in all these areas and can find reasonably prices homes. I have changed my mind about older homes. If the house has not been taken care of it can mean lots of work and at our age I dont think we are up to it and a house thats older thats really been taken care of can be alot more expensive. I am also rethinking living by the sea. Since we moved into the cottage I have been plagued with sinus headaches. Which I remembered getting when we lived in Rhode Island by the sea. When we moved to NH I stopped getting them the house was quite a ways from the sea.

I like the village life but want to be able to get into town to do some shopping. I lived in Hoole and Sandbach before we came to the US both are nice. The drawback to Hoole is traffic into Chester which is awful especially during Summer and Christmas. You can walk into the City from Hoole but I am not sure I would enjoy the walk back with shopping bags. I have done that in my younger days and even then it was tiring and hard on your arms.

So as I search the internet I am at a loss as to where to put my roots. I know my family would be very sad if I did not live near them.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Hi Fish,
WOW its really nice to see you again, how you been doing mate?
I have been back home now for 10 months and when I left the States I could see how terribly bad the country was getting then!!! but since then its taken a total nose dive, I honestly thought that Obama would really be a strong president and make some really good changes, but its hard I suppose when the whole political system is so complicated, and everything has to go through so many doors to get passed and when you have the Republicans fighting him on every level?
All the things you say Fish above are very achievable if both parties would just work together and forget who wins the next election and just get things done, soon it will all be too late, the whole world is on the brink of total financial disaster, Europe is right on the threshold of collapsing country after country, big governments and big corporations corruption and total greed is going to bring the western world as we know it to its knees,
The U.K. is desperate too, today we printed another £75 billion ---- just for starters, thats going to create 5% more inflation but it will temporarily give a quick fix to the economy,
over here for the past few weeks I have heard a lot of MP,S and so called experts mention the words (its going to be very simular to the great depression) I like this country these days, its so refreshing to actually here politicions tell you exactly how they see it,
Im used to America where you never here the people in power ever tell you how it really is, they seem to think that it will cause too much panic, so they think that they have to sugar coat everything,
Opppps sorry I just remembered that Im on the wrong thread should be in the room next door at the happy hour chit chat shop
Rodney.
Oh BTW apart from all that codswhollop everything is fine mate

Last edited by jasper123; Oct 6th 2011 at 11:08 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have cousins in England that I'm not in contact with and I don't care to.
Although I first came to the US as a child I think I'm like you because I bounced around quite a bit.
I have lived in Japan for 2 years and also went back to the UK for 2 years when I was 22 years old.

I was thinking during the night that for some reason we in the US look down on any country or people who are not from the US. Wrong I know and I'm wondering why? I think it is because of the media in the US. (forward this to DDL and maybe she will come back on here). Anyone else have any ideas about this? Will I feel this way when I come home to live?

Rodney do you know about the Thanksgiving shindig for Americans in Portsmouth this year?

Cheers mate
Cheers please tell me about the American thanksgiving shin dig in Portsmouth, where is it? Ive got to be there, maybe there will be a nice vegas style buffet with turkey & ham & yams etc etc, and plenty of flowing booze too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.