Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Someone had a field day in describing my wife. It is unfortunate they can't read. Try getting a book that doesn't have pictures and nursery rhymes in it.

My wife is one of the most honest person on the face of the earth. That says it all.

Case closed.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:50 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I went back to high school all of a sudden with all this drama. Next thing you know I'll be in detention dreaming of David Wrigglesworth

I think the truth about posting on a forum like this is that there will be people who agree with you, people who don't care one way or another, and people who really disagree with almost everything you say. If you don't grow a thick skin, it can be an unhappy experience. On one site I read, they have a title for farewell posts (GBCW - Goodbye Cruel World). There are at least a couple of GBCW posts every week.

I don't think I've ever said a mean word to anyone on here, and yet several people have said nasty things to and about me. Makes no difference to me unless the nasty comment comes from someone I respect. People can only upset you if you bestow them with the power to do that.

In the end, everyone here makes posts that are of value to someone. We're all from different backgrounds, ages, political persuasions, cultural experiences etc. If we accept that, we can muddle along. But if we expect to bend everyone else to our way of thinking, things won't go so well.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I feel like I went back to high school all of a sudden with all this drama. Next thing you know I'll be in detention dreaming of David Wrigglesworth

I think the truth about posting on a forum like this is that there will be people who agree with you, people who don't care one way or another, and people who really disagree with almost everything you say. If you don't grow a thick skin, it can be an unhappy experience. On one site I read, they have a title for farewell posts (GBCW - Goodbye Cruel World). There are at least a couple of GBCW posts every week.

I don't think I've ever said a mean word to anyone on here, and yet several people have said nasty things to and about me. Makes no difference to me unless the nasty comment comes from someone I respect. People can only upset you if you bestow them with the power to do that.

In the end, everyone here makes posts that are of value to someone. We're all from different backgrounds, ages, political persuasions, cultural experiences etc. If we accept that, we can muddle along. But if we expect to bend everyone else to our way of thinking, things won't go so well.
Agreed and anyone who says anything disrespectful about my wife is in deep trouble.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others hear and see us!

A perfect saying for some of todays posts.
.................................................. .................................................. .......

cheers. I guess I am not educated enough to know who you were talking about. I also thought you were describing your wife.

rebeccajo..Bunch of codswollop.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Was it because I called her a tit? That was in response to such a snidey post. I can't stand people who haven't got the guts to speak their minds plainly.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sally Redux..Nope dont think it had anything to do with you and your tit. What sort of a tit were you calling her a yellow tit or blue tit. I think that would make a difference. or could it be the internet slng .This is True. TIT
or was it something coarse.

I think its time to leave DDL alone. She's a baddy and were all good we never say anything bad or infer anything that others couldnt
mis·con·strue
(to misunderstand the meaning of; take in a wrong sense; misinterpret.)
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:37 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I once visited the South - well only as far south as North Carolina - and I had such a hard time with the over-friendly waitresses in the first restaurant we went in. My British self felt almost invaded by their openness.

At first it did feel phony to me, but after a few days I realized that's just the way people are there and it's quite genuine, even if a bit uncomfortable for someone from Yorkshire
People in North Carolina are sincere when they make the effort of kindness.Its not an act, its real. If a person is use to the opposite type of behavior then it certainly can be off putting. Understandable if that person might be looking for a built-in selfish reason for behavior they are not use to.They could think that a show of kindness really equals robbery or some type of set-up. Keeping an open mind would go a long way in preventing pre-judgments.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:47 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, the experience in North Carolina wasn't so much politeness - it was more a very forward form of friendliness that I think is difficult for Brits from any part of the country.

Northerners in the UK are very friendly but it's a different kind of friendliness. A waitress would never make a personal comment or try to spark conversation for example, unless you initiated the conversation. Nor would they say things like 'well you just make sure to have yourself a blessed day sweetie' as one did to me as I was leaving a diner. I could see how cheers might find that phony, but I genuinely don't think it is. I think that's how people are in some parts of the US. (Not in New York City!!)
People in the Carolinas in general have a mentality that believes each person is their brother's keeper.For instance, if you had car trouble on the highway, someone is going to stop and help you.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Well said!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:39 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Honestly, the experience in North Carolina wasn't so much politeness - it was more a very forward form of friendliness that I think is difficult for Brits from any part of the country.

Northerners in the UK are very friendly but it's a different kind of friendliness. A waitress would never make a personal comment or try to spark conversation for example, unless you initiated the conversation. Nor would they say things like 'well you just make sure to have yourself a blessed day sweetie' as one did to me as I was leaving a diner. I could see how cheers might find that phony, but I genuinely don't think it is. I think that's how people are in some parts of the US. (Not in New York City!!)
This is the John half of J.J speaking.
I lived in North Carolina for 18 years are felt very much at home amongst the honesty and truth of the home town North Carolinians. I do not feel so comfortable amongst the people I now live amongst in UK.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

I hate the way this thread is going !
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:58 am
Banned

DDL is one of my favorite posters.I think it would be ashame if she were to leave this site.She has bee a major contributor and deserves a great deal of respect. I seldom post here but I often read what she and others have to say and the advice has been envaluable. Why anyone would want to American bash is beyond me. DDL if you are reading this,if need be,take a break then return when ready. You are valued here.I will now go back to lurking status.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:25 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

This is the John half of J.J speaking;

Well, our life journey continues to evolve.

I just received notice of redundancy from my job.
Some of you may remember we decided to make the move from US to UK when my employer announced they were relocating the division in which I worked to another city.
That job although located in US was working for another division in Germany.

Quite surprisingly, when I told the US employer I was not going to relocate within the US but move back to UK they asked me to stay in the same job, still working for division Germany from home in UK.

Now they (US corporate office) decided that the job needs to located in Germany and have told me I will be redundant - unless I relocate to Germany.
It is out of the question for me / us to move to Germany. I don't trust they wouldn't abandon me there, I don't speak much German, and I don't like the work culture within the office. Besides, the engineering work that I have been doing for over 30 years holds no appeal for me now. Germany itself and many of the people, including work colleagues, have been pleasant enough but it is not for me / us at this time in our life.

So, I am pleased to have had the benefit of income for the 16 months we been back in UK.

It appears I will get some form of limited JSA for 6 months on the basis of having paid NI in the past 16 months, provided I seek work.

After a lifetime of full time work I don't know how I will cope with the transition to potential retirement. When we were making our plans to move back to UK I was prepared to be without work, because it was my decision. Now though, with the rug pulled out from under I feel vulnerable.

It seems to me that it is now, after 16 months back that my incorporation into UK life will really start. I think we have everything positioned right but I am apprehensive.

Last edited by J.J; Oct 4th 2011 at 10:29 am.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:13 am
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

JJ hubby and wife: So sorry to hear about your redundancy. I wish you find something suitable and to your liking just as soon as you are ready for this change in your lives.

I appreciated your comments in the forum, whenever you've posted, it's been interesting and enlightening. Hope you will continue. I have posted very little, mostly reading and ducking and withholding.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:15 am
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

UKWinds, please don't just lurk- it's good to hear from you. I haven't posted often, but do enjoy the forum, sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.