Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes! And then Mother would rub them with ZAMBUK - which made them sting all the more! --- Can still buy it all over Thailand, but I have no idea what they use it for. Don
I always wondered what a chillblain was - it was something I read about in books. As a kid I thought it was a cold spot on the skin! Now I know
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
This is just a note to let everyone know that I am closing my account and leaving this group.

I have received such lovely messages (and karma) from many of you over the years. I did not want to leave without saying good-bye.

Best of luck to all of you returning to the UK.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you have imagined.

Well, you sound determined this time. But I am very sorry indeed to hear it.

You are, and have been all along, such a great asset to the group.

It's been especially important and helpful, for those of us with American citizen significant others, to hear your take on things, as the US person arriving in Britain.

But also, the things you enjoy, seek out, and tell us about----National Trust, concerts, cream teas, etc--are those quintessentially British things that we miss! So, we were seeing a US spouse throwing herself into life--and looking for a finding work--in her newly adopted country, and it's been delightful watching the process!

I hope there's no particular reason for your leaving, beyond simply getting busy with your new life In the UK.

I particularly hope you haven't been offended by the tendency some of us have (and I've been a culprit myself) to complain about the US....as this is a forum of people who already know they want to go back the UK, lots of them have already made the emotional break, and realised that the balance of their desire has tipped them towards the UK; perhaps they even need to justify the decision to leave, and complaining about the things they don't like in the USA is an easy way to do it. Sometimes while living there I found myself doing the same thing--and forgetting the many wonderful things about the place!

Anyway, no need to explain yourself.

It was lovely that you didn't just disappear but came by to say goodbye.

Thanks for all your bulletins have been so enjoyable and helpful!

All best to you and Tony,

Tina.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:49 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
You have been a very much loved member of the forum. It's been so interesting to see England from the eyes of an American. The photos you have sent us - the old buildings, the colleges, the cream teas, etc., what a delight it has been. I love that you love England!

The information you given about spousal visas has been invaluable for many people with USC spouses. I know Trotty has been helped immensely with the forms you sent.

You are one of my favourite posters, and I love reading what you and Tony have been up to. You are so honest. You don't sugar coat anything. Thank you again for the wonderful input. The majority of people on here will miss you so much. You are a

Good luck Denise.

Thank you Mallory. It was a real pleasure getting to know you.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:52 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Well, you sound determined this time. But I am very sorry indeed to hear it.

You are, and have been all along, such a great asset to the group.

It's been especially important and helpful, for those of us with American citizen significant others, to hear your take on things, as the US person arriving in Britain.

But also, the things you enjoy, seek out, and tell us about----National Trust, concerts, cream teas, etc--are those quintessentially British things that we miss! So, we were seeing a US spouse throwing herself into life--and looking for a finding work--in her newly adopted country, and it's been delightful watching the process!

I hope there's no particular reason for your leaving, beyond simply getting busy with your new life In the UK.

I particularly hope you haven't been offended by the tendency some of us have (and I've been a culprit myself) to complain about the US....as this is a forum of people who already know they want to go back the UK, lots of them have already made the emotional break, and realised that the balance of their desire has tipped them towards the UK; perhaps they even need to justify the decision to leave, and complaining about the things they don't like in the USA is an easy way to do it. Sometimes while living there I found myself doing the same thing--and forgetting the many wonderful things about the place!

Anyway, no need to explain yourself.

It was lovely that you didn't just disappear but came by to say goodbye.

Thanks for all your bulletins have been so enjoyable and helpful!

All best to you and Tony,

Tina.

Tina, it has been a joy getting to know you and corresponding, you have been very encouraging and I appreciate that about you.

It was always a joy for me to come on here and share my experiences with everyone. I will miss it - and you.

Take care.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
This is just a note to let everyone know that I am closing my account and leaving this group.

I have received such lovely messages (and karma) from many of you over the years. I did not want to leave without saying good-bye.

Best of luck to all of you returning to the UK.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you have imagined.
You will be greatly missed, I have loved seeing your photos and hearing about all the lovely places you have visited.

Maybe you might decide to pop back in from time to time to let us know how you are doing? It would be so nice to know how you are doing.

Have you given any thought to keeping a blog of your adventures in the UK? I would love to follow along if you do.

Best wishes and hope it isn't really good bye.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I was telling my American wife about DDL and she said 'well the English can be quite blunt' she has also said previously "that you know where you stand with the British because they don't beat around the bush"

This ties in with something I've been thinking about Americans lately that I think they are disingenuous. They make comments that are phony. That can be good because they can make you feel good even though you know they are lying. It's an American thing.

*dis·in·gen·u·ous (d s n-j n y - s). adj. 1. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, ...

Then there is the British.......

Cheers
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:25 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by NiHao
You will be greatly missed, I have loved seeing your photos and hearing about all the lovely places you have visited.

Maybe you might decide to pop back in from time to time to let us know how you are doing? It would be so nice to know how you are doing.

Have you given any thought to keeping a blog of your adventures in the UK? I would love to follow along if you do.

Best wishes and hope it isn't really good bye.

Thank you so much for your sentiment, NiHao. I am, however, closing my account and withdrawing participation.

I temporarily stopped posting one other time, and then returned, but this time it is permanent.

I used to write a tea blog and miss blogging, so perhaps I will start a UK adventure blog instead!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:30 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
I was telling my American wife about DDL and she said 'well the English can be quite blunt' she has also said previously "that you know where you stand with the British because they don't beat around the bush"

This ties in with something I've been thinking about Americans lately that I think they are disingenuous. They make comments that are phony. That can be good because they can make you feel good even though you know they are lying. It's an American thing.

*dis·in·gen·u·ous (d s n-j n y - s). adj. 1. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, ...

Cheers

With all due respect Cheers, I don't think your American wife can tell me anything I don't already know about the British.

As for your remark about Americans being phony and incredulous...well, I have nothing to say in response to that. If that makes me phony and incredulous, so be it.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:58 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
With all due respect Cheers, I don't think your American wife can tell me anything I don't already know about the British.

As for your remark about Americans being phony and incredulous...well, I have nothing to say in response to that. If that makes me phony and incredulous, so be it.
I thought he meant his American wife was phony and hypocritical?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It is lying or is it a desire to be nice? I find Americans in general to be more honest and more kind by disposition than British people.

Before any Brits fly off the handle I'm not saying all of us are mean and dishonest - obviously all of you are wonderful! - just that in general American culture is a little kinder and more forgiving.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It is lying or is it a desire to be nice? I find Americans in general to be more honest and more kind by disposition than British people.

Before any Brits fly off the handle I'm not saying all of us are mean and dishonest - obviously all of you are wonderful! - just that in general American culture is a little kinder and more forgiving.
I agree, Sally--I think it's a desire to be nice.

But then I also enjoy the customer service in British shops--a little more banter and humour. In American shops, courtesy and kindness...

and yes, in general, I think Americans are less inclined to be snide and ironic....more earnest and straightforward. And incredibly kind and hospitable...

Tina
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

DDL - I'm very sad to learn that you are retiring from BE.

Your posts have been so inspiring and very informative.

I love hearing about your little trips around the Runnymede/Windsor area as my daughter lives on the border of Isleworth and Twickenham (just a short drive from Syon Park, which you've posted about). I'm hoping to check out a few places where you have been in when I go on one of my trips back to the UK.

You will be sorely missed....I will definitely be doing a 'google' search from time to time to see if you have indeed set up a blog.

All the best and warmest regards...EM
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

I would agree with this.
It is actually very evident in the schools.

I think the sense of humor here has something to do with it?

Its just not so scathing.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers

Cheers, this is a bit of an inflammatory thing to say. "Disingenuous" is a derogatory word, not a nice thing at all--implying dishonesty.
"Lying" is a big accusation.

I think, from the rest of what you said, that you were referring to the typical American niceness--as in "have a nice day" which indeed can sometimes sound "phony" after the poor person has said it umpteen times--or in the way people will tell you a garment suits you when perhaps it doesn't, or just in some way or other softening the blows, perhaps indeed beating around the bush a bit. (And actually I think some BRitish often do this just as much--depends on background and upbringing).

Anyway, all I'm saying is, let's not call the members of any nation dishonest and liars!!

Tina
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:55 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I think, from the rest of what you said, that you were referring to the typical American niceness--as in "have a nice day" which indeed can sometimes sound "phony" after the poor person has said it umpteen times--or in the way people will tell you a garment suits you when perhaps it doesn't, or just in some way or other softening the blows, perhaps indeed beating around the bush a bit. (And actually I think some BRitish often do this just as much--depends on background and upbringing).
I once visited the South - well only as far south as North Carolina - and I had such a hard time with the over-friendly waitresses in the first restaurant we went in. My British self felt almost invaded by their openness.

At first it did feel phony to me, but after a few days I realized that's just the way people are there and it's quite genuine, even if a bit uncomfortable for someone from Yorkshire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.