Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui
Throwing? I used to have a paper route before school but we had to put them (magazines and all!) in the letter box. Did you grow up in the States?
I came to America in 1949 at the age of 11 and mother didn't like it and she took my sister and I back after a year (1950). Then she came back to America in 1955 with my sister and I followed later. Now you know part of my family history. Oh and my mother went back to the UK in 1956 and stayed there with my dad until she died.
Life was different then because I sailed on the Cunarder alone at the age of 17.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Again thanks for the help. DDL's idea of using a binder with an index really caught on with my OH so he now has one and we are gathering all the information to put into it. They also want to know what are expenses are here. Being who my OH is when I was on my way out the door today heading for the Christmas Tree Shop he commented that I should be careful what I spend. Not to worry I spent cash He has been know to log on to our bank account and know before I got home where I had been and what I had spend

Some of the questions seem difficult because we have no idea what our expenses will be when we get to the UK hopefully we will have found somewhere to rent but we are going on the assumption that we will be living with my niece and paying for food.They also want to know what are expenses are here. They also ask the cost of flying and when we are arriving. That can only be a guess so we are having to look into that more carefully.

Needless to say we shall be re-reading the instructions many time before we send the new application in.

We read that you should not send the form in till 3 months before you intend to leave. Did any of you fill yours in sooner than that.

I am feeling much better but the email sent by the Visa Department did not mention that you could re-apply only that we would be getting a letter in the mail.

Be careful if you ever call the Walbridge number for help. It can be costly. Our few minutes phone call cost $25.
I will once we have it all ready to go list on here what we are sending compared with what we did send.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers...I suffered with chilblains as a child I had a bad habit of sticking my cold feet right up to the fire. My Mother was always telling me not to. We lived in a big old house that was very cold so if you didnt sit in front of the fire you were freezing. I also suffered with chapped hands I would wash my hands and not dry them properly and then run outside to play.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Cheers...I suffered with chilblains as a child I had a bad habit of sticking my cold feet right up to the fire. My Mother was always telling me not to. We lived in a big old house that was very cold so if you didnt sit in front of the fire you were freezing. I also suffered with chapped hands I would wash my hands and not dry them properly and then run outside to play.
Chilblains......oh God the agony! The burning, the itching....yes, I had them too, and no-one in US these days seems to know what they are!

Tina
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Again thanks for the help. DDL's idea of using a binder with an index really caught on with my OH so he now has one and we are gathering all the information to put into it. They also want to know what are expenses are here. Being who my OH is when I was on my way out the door today heading for the Christmas Tree Shop he commented that I should be careful what I spend. Not to worry I spent cash He has been know to log on to our bank account and know before I got home where I had been and what I had spend

Some of the questions seem difficult because we have no idea what our expenses will be when we get to the UK hopefully we will have found somewhere to rent but we are going on the assumption that we will be living with my niece and paying for food.They also want to know what are expenses are here. They also ask the cost of flying and when we are arriving. That can only be a guess so we are having to look into that more carefully.

Needless to say we shall be re-reading the instructions many time before we send the new application in.

We read that you should not send the form in till 3 months before you intend to leave. Did any of you fill yours in sooner than that.

I am feeling much better but the email sent by the Visa Department did not mention that you could re-apply only that we would be getting a letter in the mail.

Be careful if you ever call the Walbridge number for help. It can be costly. Our few minutes phone call cost $25.
I will once we have it all ready to go list on here what we are sending compared with what we did send.
Good info here Trotty. Thank you.

Yes, now you mention it, I'd heard or read that one shouldn't send in the form til 3 months before ready to leave...wish I had remembered this before so I could have told you to hold off....

well, good luck.

Sounds as if speaking terms have been restored chez la famille Trotty.....!!
That's good....

Tina
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

My first summer holiday job was pea-picking, 8/- a big sack . Back-breaking work and I used to cycle there and back 8 miles each way.
Me? Royal Air Force = Shilling a day, with stoppages for ''Barrack Damages'' Don
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:00 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

This is just a note to let everyone know that I am closing my account and leaving this group.

I have received such lovely messages (and karma) from many of you over the years. I did not want to leave without saying good-bye.

Best of luck to all of you returning to the UK.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you have imagined.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:13 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL

It's another pet peeve of mine. I wouldn't touch food like that! That's why I don't buy the bread and buns at Tesco that are out in the open, and I don't shop at open air markets, either. I don't want to eat food that other people have handled, sneezed upon, coughed over, etc. Might not bother some people, but it's not for me.
Not for me either, we were in a pub recently where some rather tasty looking pork pies were displayed on the bar, right in front of the hand pumps where people stood to place their orders. Yuck, no thanks, I would have bought if they had been covered or to the side but covered in ick, no thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:34 am
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
This is just a note to let everyone know that I am closing my account and leaving this group.

I have received such lovely messages (and karma) from many of you over the years. I did not want to leave without saying good-bye.

I have enjoyed your participation, are you certain you can not continue? You'll be missed.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

That's sad news DDL...you have been a wealth of information on many issues and you've been so active on the forum. I hope nothing has happened to make you reconsider?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:09 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by SoThere
I have enjoyed your participation, are you certain you can not continue? You'll be missed.

Thank you very much but no, I cannot continue.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:10 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Montfan72
That's sad news DDL...you have been a wealth of information on many issues and you've been so active on the forum. I hope nothing has happened to make you reconsider?

Thank you Montfan. It has been a pleasure to share information with all of you.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I have my Great Grandfather's death certificate... cause of death: exhaustion. (He was the fruit producer in Evesham.)
My gt gt gt grandfather had a small farm in Ireland, lost everything in the potato famine and moved to York, where he lived in a slum and walked 15 miles a day to work and back laboring in the fields. (I wish I knew which fields, because we wound up living 15 miles away from York out in the countryside). He died of a heart attack at 50. His son was a glass blower and died of lung disease at 37.

Those were definitely not the days!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Chilblains......oh God the agony! The burning, the itching....yes, I had them too, and no-one in US these days seems to know what they are!

Tina
Yes! And then Mother would rub them with ZAMBUK - which made them sting all the more! --- Can still buy it all over Thailand, but I have no idea what they use it for. Don
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:13 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Thank you very much but no, I cannot continue.
You have been a very much loved member of the forum. It's been so interesting to see England from the eyes of an American. The photos you have sent us - the old buildings, the colleges, the cream teas, etc., what a delight it has been. I love that you love England!

The information you given about spousal visas has been invaluable for many people with USC spouses. I know Trotty has been helped immensely with the forms you sent.

You are one of my favourite posters, and I love reading what you and Tony have been up to. You are so honest. You don't sugar coat anything. Thank you again for the wonderful input. The majority of people on here will miss you so much. You are a

Good luck Denise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.