Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
It seems life never runs smoothly for some of us. Just when I thought everything was going along fine my OH got an email to say he had been denied his Visa to the UK. I am utterly devastated. His passport and all the materials he sent them are in the mail with the reason for denial. So we blew $1300 and our future and have yet to find out why.
I can't believe this! Trotty I feel so sorry for you. I hope he can appeal it. Was it to do with health concerns? I've seen some threads on here about that in the past - do a search. Surely they will return the money - that would be such a rip off.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I can't believe this! Trotty I feel so sorry for you. I hope he can appeal it. Was it to do with health concerns? I've seen some threads on here about that in the past - do a search. Surely they will return the money - that would be such a rip off.
We can't say too much until the documents along with the reason are received by you in the mail but I'm assuming that one of the boxes wasn't ticked correctly.

Hang in there.

I'm going over to UK-Yankees forum to try and find out under what conditions you would be denied a visa.

I think you have been married for a long time?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Very few immigration departments return fees if a visa is denied, but they have to tell you the reason for denial and whether its appeallable. Can't really do anything until those facts come to light.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

We just got the package back and apparently the do not think we are married and they talk about a sponser in the UK. I called the UK and they said the appeal can take up to a year and it would be better to start all over again. This time we will just have to make sure we do it right. My OH did not send any marriage certifcate in or my passport. I am not sure he even filled in the correct form.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

We just got the package back and apparently the do not think we are married and they talk about a sponser in the UK. I called the UK and they said the appeal can take up to a year and it would be better to start all over again. This time we will just have to make sure we do it right. My OH did not send any marriage certifcate in or my passport. I am not sure he even filled in the correct form.
Oh TT this is just awful! Sounds as though the problem was the missing documents - they are an integral part of the application process. They are very particular when it comes to details and I think its always better to send too much information than too little. A good friend in UK had hers refused on the basis she had sent in a black and white passport copy instead of a colour one. She had to appeal, it was a lengthy process and she eventually had to get her local Member of Parliament involved. She went to UK first and her OH arrived later. It was approved in the end though!

I do hope you can talk to someone to explain. After all you have been through!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh TT you know we are all devastated on your behalf. I join everyone in hoping you can sort it out, appeal or get money back or re-do it without having to pay all over again.....

Luckily you have a few months before your planned move, but still, this is dreadful.

It does sound like missing documents or something...if his grounds for entry are his marriage with you, it makes sense he would need to prove you are married by sending marriage certificate....but I don't know, we haven't been through this process.

Hope you can both hang in there and stay calm and hopeful!

Tina
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no Maybe a list from uk-yankees would help to make sure he sends more than whats needed next time.
Big breath and start over. (((hugs)))
Cheers has gone over there to look, I'll have a search about later too.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I called the help line at Walbridge and had to pay $3 minute to get information. She told me as did the person in the UK to forget about the appeal just to start all over again and forget the $1300. OH seemed to think because he gave our NH numbers and various other numbers he did not need to send documentation. So now we have to do it again and attach all relevant documents. Not sure about sponser in the UK but will just give my brothers address or my nieces. The want to know size of house and bedrooms etc. Will have to go through it line by line. If they want documents they are going to get them.
I have the worst headache and the only person to blame in this is my OH for not reading the forms correctly. The house is going to be quiet today.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I called the help line at Walbridge and had to pay $3 minute to get information. She told me as did the person in the UK to forget about the appeal just to start all over again and forget the $1300. OH seemed to think because he gave our NH numbers and various other numbers he did not need to send documentation. So now we have to do it again and attach all relevant documents. Not sure about sponser in the UK but will just give my brothers address or my nieces. The want to know size of house and bedrooms etc. Will have to go through it line by line. If they want documents they are going to get them.
I have the worst headache and the only person to blame in this is my OH for not reading the forms correctly. The house is going to be quiet today.
Could you not actually go to British Consulate (Boston perhaps?) where you can actually talk to a human face to face? I know they're doing all the passports for the Americas out of DC these days but is it worth looking into? Fingers x'd you can get it worked out ok.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Could you not actually go to British Consulate (Boston perhaps?) where you can actually talk to a human face to face? I know they're doing all the passports for the Americas out of DC these days but is it worth looking into? Fingers x'd you can get it worked out ok.
We tried going to the British consulate once for help. It's a joke. They have security at the front desk to stop you seeing anyone.

TT, I'm so sorry - you must be furious with him. I think some Americans genuinely think they can move anywhere and people will be happy to have them, so they don't think all the detailed rules apply to them. I know a guy who was totally shocked when he arrived in the UK as a young man and wasn't allowed entry to live with his girlfriend because he didn't have a visa. He said 'but I'm American!'

This time, I know you'll be checking everything carefully before he sends it off.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I checked information on UK Yankees and a lot of the information is old and no longer in effect.
The new information is changing by the minute.
I just was reading about income required so that maybe an issue?

Sallys comment is so right. "I'm an American" - so get in line behind everyone else. Man the world has changed.

I may ad it works both ways. "I'm British" - get in line. You have one strike against you coming into the US.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sallysimmons...No it wasnt the fact that he is an American he just did not read the directions properly he seem to think because he sent them his US Passport and gave them information and account numbers they would believe him. So now I have to search through all the files to find our Marriage certificate and other relevant documents.

Cheers...Thankyou for taking a look in the Yankee forum. I got an email from the Walbridge people and within half an hour I had another email that said to ignore the last email that with was an the recent update to the last email
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Sallysimmons...No it wasnt the fact that he is an American he just did not read the directions properly he seem to think because he sent them his US Passport and gave them information and account numbers they would believe him. So now I have to search through all the files to find our Marriage certificate and other relevant documents.

Cheers...Thankyou for taking a look in the Yankee forum. I got an email from the Walbridge people and within half an hour I had another email that said to ignore the last email that with was an the recent update to the last email
Hi Everyone, Trotty asked me what did we do to get my husband's visa issued successfully. I thought I would post the information here in case anyone else is going through the same process.

Firstly, all documents must be originals or official certified copies.

The form required is Settlement VAF4A which, along with the Guidance notes, can be downloaded from the UKBA website. I filled out the forms manually before doing it online just to make sure we had all the required documentation.

I was the sponsor of my husband. We sent in Husbands current and previous passports. Birth certificate, husband is an American living in Canada..so proof of his legal residence here. Our marriage certificate and all previous divorce documents. Husbands discharge papers from the US Marines to prove he was honourably discharged after seving his country for 4 years (they do ask for information regarding service in the armed forces) My British birth certificate and British passport, to prove my citizenship. An officially certified copy of the information page of my Irish passport. US and Canadian Tax records going back 10 years, lease/rental agreements for same time period to prove co-habitation. 6 months bank records for both of us. Financial information showing what our income will be, pension statements etc. Proof of accommodation in the UK..letter from landlord along with their proof of ownership of property. We also included a letter outlining our projected budget for food, utilities and rent for the foreseeable future. You have to show proof that after paying rent/mortgage and council tax that you have at least 105pounds 95pence for two people to live on per week. I think that just about covers it, but, and this is important. Make sure you ask for the correct visa. We asked for ILE without any conditions based on the length of our marriage and the fact that as my husband is 65 no KOL is required at this time. He will have to take it later when he applys for citizenship but for now he does not have to worry about it. Asking for this is important because it will save you money, firstly no fee for KOL, secondly no future requirement for more permissions. Your visa will expire when your passport does, and you must request the Foreign Office in the UK to transfer it to your new passport, there is no charge for this as far as I know.

I pretty sure this covers everything we did, if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them and if I have forgotten anything I will post when remembered.

Good luck to anyone going through this, it really is a simple process if you gather all the documents and stay calm. Elizabeth
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Just one more thought, Visas are given, or refused, based on the information sent in at the time of application. So if a visa is refused, say because of no proof of marriage, you cannot now send in proof of marriage and ask them to change their minds, well, you can ask, but the chances of them changing the ruling is slim to none. The best thing is to bite the bullet, re-apply with all the necessary documentation and have your visa in a couple of weeks. Our timeline was very fast, within a week we received an email saying the visa was issued and three days later it arrived via courier. By the way, add to the previous information a passport sized photo of my husband was included, this is used on the visa when granted. Elizabeth
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are going to get our niece to rent a place for us just prior to moving back so we decided we should put down my brothers address as the place we are staying at as a temporary address. There would just not be time to rent and then send the information in to get the Visa before returning. So do we still need to get my family to write a letter and also give information on the size of the house and whether or not they own the house. This is so complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.