Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:39 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

All in all I find it's only little things that bother me about my move back here and for that I am thankful. I can live with the light bulbs issue, we've bitten the bullet and bought our wardrobes for those bedrooms that don't have any built in storage.... you know, the usual stuff. I'm very happy to be back here and feel more content than I have in many many years. That counts for a lot and together with this lovely man I now call my husband I'm sure we'll get over the troubles at hand and everything will be just fine. It's good to be home
What a great update! So glad you're happy and I will keep my fingers crossed that your husband finds work soon. Especially if it's up north!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 29th 2011 at 11:43 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Charleygirl... Sounds like you have an eye for a bargain. Would love to see pictures of your cottage. Remember when your children arrive you are in charge its a new start for you all. No sliding back

I wonder if all of you who have moved back can give us an idea as to how you are managing with making new friends and getting a social life going. I think it must be easier for couples that singles. Are you finding people friendly and do they welcome you back as a Brit or a Foreigner. Are you finding it easy to get back into the English way of talking. I am hoping when I get back that I become one of the many not one of the few. Not that I mind but its always strange when after all these years I am asked am Irish or Scottish. They cannot quite get my accent. When I am home they also know I am not from the area so again I get that question. Where are you from Course Lancashire people do have a definate accent.
Well trotty just a quick reply here but I said to my friend ( of long standing) "Could you POP THE TRUNK FOR ME PLEASE" she just stood there and looked at me, as much to say Er English please...
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:17 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

The holiday goodies have been on the shelves of Tesco now for close to a month. At our weekly shop last week, we bought a box of Mr. Kipling Mince Pies with Custard.

Just opened up the box ........ and was reminded of another thing that I very, very, very much dislike over here: the fact that food items in boxes are quite often not protected with an inner covering of any kind. Always makes me a bit uneasy.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-mpc.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
The holiday goodies have been on the shelves of Tesco now for close to a month. At our weekly shop last week, we bought a box of Mr. Kipling Mince Pies with Custard.

Just opened up the box ........ and was reminded of another thing that I very, very, very much dislike over here: the fact that food items in boxes are quite often not protected with an inner covering of any kind. Always makes me a bit uneasy.
Well I have something to top that.
I was in a bakers shop, in England, and I saw all these yellow jackets (wasps) swarming on the cakes in the glass case. I said something like "That is a health hazard" and they didn't respond but looked at me like I had two heads.
Have things changed any?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I was in a bakers shop, in England, and I saw all these yellow jackets (wasps) swarming on the cakes in the glass case. I said something like "That is a health hazard" and they didn't respond but looked at me like I had two heads.
Have things changed any?
I'd have walked back out of the store if I saw any insects on food Ick, even back when I lived there. Gross.
I'm off to World market this weekend. I have a $10 off when you spend $30 coupon. I hope they have lots of goodies for me to stock up on.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'd have walked back out of the store if I saw any insects on food Ick, even back when I lived there. Gross.
I'm off to World market this weekend. I have a $10 off when you spend $30 coupon. I hope they have lots of goodies for me to stock up on.
My daughter past through here to drop of her sweet dog for a few days and then she is going to the British Food outlet when she is up in Salt Lake and get us some biscuits and chocolate.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter past through here to drop of her sweet dog for a few days and then she is going to the British Food outlet when she is up in Salt Lake and get us some biscuits and chocolate.
Celebration time. I'll gain the 6lbs I've lost in no time.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:51 pm
DDL

Have things changed any?

No they haven't, Cheers. But then, you can find this anywhere in the world.

It's another pet peeve of mine. I wouldn't touch food like that! That's why I don't buy the bread and buns at Tesco that are out in the open, and I don't shop at open air markets, either. I don't want to eat food that other people have handled, sneezed upon, coughed over, etc. Might not bother some people, but it's not for me.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:09 pm
DDL

Just got back from the concert at Eton Chapel. The Chapel is absolutely gorgeous (although at night you can't see the beautiful stained glass). The programme was a selection of choral and orchestral/organ music.

The pipe organ is breathtaking. (See photo.)

Amazing to sit there and think of all the famous people who have passed through there....ranging from the Earl of Sandwich to Percy Shelley to Ian Fleming, and of course, William and Harry.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-eton-1.jpg  
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:04 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This reminds me of a visit to a donut bakery in town. It was my first visit, they also have a drive up window, but I went inside since all those choices, I had to see them, not order from a sign. Anyway, just as it was my turn to be served, I noticed the flies in the cases ON the donuts, not wanting to cause a fuss, I said to the next person, that they should go ahead, I had to study the choices, and then I smiled, slowly backed away and blended in with the line behind me, and left the store. Yuck, bees are not nice, but flies- no way I'd order and I've never been back to the bakery. I've also seen flies on the donuts in the Walmart bakery, too. Stopped buying from them, plus I never really liked their product.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:13 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

A Question about National Insurance Numbers:

Should I bother about finding my old one (NIN), I only worked about three months in Cardiff, years and years ago. It's long lost, as were the pay slips, etc. Maybe I should just apply for a new one after I've moved over and when I start looking for work. Any ideas?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by SoThere
A Question about National Insurance Numbers:

Should I bother about finding my old one (NIN), I only worked about three months in Cardiff, years and years ago. It's long lost, as were the pay slips, etc. Maybe I should just apply for a new one after I've moved over and when I start looking for work. Any ideas?
They don't issue a new one they just look up your old one, it's like Social security numbers they are yours for life.
Ds had one from when he was a little tot, when he went back they looked it up and sent it to him, he had no idea one had been issued in his name seeing he left UK when he was 5.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:35 am
Just a Walk in the Park

Thanks MitF, so they assign the numbers and would probably have it still, just would have to prove my change of name (married now) I guess.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoThere
Thanks MitF, so they assign the numbers and would probably have it still, just would have to prove my change of name (married now) I guess.
You won't need to prove your change of name. Just give them your name when you left UK and the last address where you lived. I got mine over the phone and I left the UK 41 years ago.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

It seems life never runs smoothly for some of us. Just when I thought everything was going along fine my OH got an email to say he had been denied his Visa to the UK. I am utterly devastated. His passport and all the materials he sent them are in the mail with the reason for denial. So we blew $1300 and our future and have yet to find out why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.