Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

DDL... I hope you realize I am getting fat just looking at the pictures you post on here. Love Maderia cake. Could do with a slice while I am sitting here watching the Whaling boats you out. We are taking a trip on one hopefully this weekend. Thats if the weather is nice. I am feeling very guilty just sitting here doing nothing. Well I did clean the over yesterday. I dont think it had been cleaned in years.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:58 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We're back from the concert in Windsor.

Prince Edward showed up.

3 seats in front of us.

Gotta love England!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We're back from the concert in Windsor.

Prince Edward showed up.

3 seats in front of us.

Gotta love England!
Did you offer him some of your popcorn?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL......Did you take pictures

Just want you all to know I am in the process of updating the list. I have been in touch with some of the old posters to see how they are doing. So anyone who wants to be included who thinks I left them off the last list please feel free to let me know.

Dontheturner and Tim.....Hope you have plenty of fresh veggies from your garden with the late summer weather everything should be looking good. I love pickled beetroot but I like it a little bit American and a little bit English. In othewords not too much vinegar (English) with a little added sugar. Nothing else. US but some sort of spice in theirs which I dont like.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:32 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Just want you all to know I am in the process of updating the list. I have been in touch with some of the old posters to see how they are doing. So anyone who wants to be included who thinks I left them off the last list please feel free to let me know.

Dontheturner and Tim.....Hope you have plenty of fresh veggies from your garden with the late summer weather everything should be looking good. I love pickled beetroot but I like it a little bit American and a little bit English. In othewords not too much vinegar (English) with a little added sugar. Nothing else. US but some sort of spice in theirs which I dont like.
Hello TT, thinking of you. We have four and a half weeks to go. Still so much to do. I'm going through those roller coaster emotions that I have read so much about. The hardest part is when I'm talking to the grandchildren. They will be over for a visit at Christmas time so that will be fun.

DDL your news always reminds me of what I miss and why I'm going home. Our daughter's old headmaster John Lewis went on to be Head at Eton, so there is an Australian connection there. The school is in such a lovely part of
England. Thank you for your updates.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's utterly amazing to me that people don't know the tax laws of their own country.

If I know I have to file taxes when I leave, why don't they? They were actually born here! And surely it must have come up during her immigration process.

I think a lot of Americans think they can escape the obligation when they leave and no one will catch them. Others just don't bother to check on their obligations and then cry 'big government' when it catches up with them.

Like the lady in the article, we won't have to pay US taxes because taxes in the UK are higher, but we'll have to file every year. I think it's a ridiculous law, but it is the law. She should have known that.
It is a ridiculous law and I don't know of any other country that has this requirement. Remember this is from 20+ years ago. Funny how it wasn't important for the last 19 years. It's an obvious cash grab. If our Finance Minister is up in arms about it, it's a little more than about following the rules.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

bandrui..I dont understand why people think they dont have to file taxes returns. When we left the UK many years ago they sent us a bill for money owed to the taxman. We paid it and I kept the receipt. I still have it

When we return to the UK we wil still have to pay taxes on income earned in the US but not on pensions and monies taken to the UK. The UK will tax us on what we take out of our savings. But we knew that. We did get an accountant to do all that needs to be done in the US he has been doing our taxes for a few years.

My husband is a US citizen so I dont think it would have made any difference me being a US Citizen or not. If you earn in the US you pay here unless it comes under the US-UK double dip law.
But these people haven't lived or earnt in the US for many many years. Why now?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Wowee! TT - Hope you are fit and well too. I am hung up on the cheap chocolates in Iceland! - Pound a bag. - Yes very bad for me = but well I do count them.- Do check them out! Home grown Pots, and Toms - nothing like them. Would be doing green Chutney, but Tim doesn't do vinegar - nor do any Thais. Take care. love Don xx
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
I need help
can anyone remember me mithering on about getting mine and DH ss once we were in UK ? Well DH received a check today but it was greatly reduced and my first ss check hasnt appeared at all. said checks are sent to my friend in USA who deposits them in USA bank ( we plan on it being paid into UK bank, in fact we set DH in motion and was assurred it would happen, wrong ! ) any idea how I can rectify this, so hard to make phone calls from this end, the eternal on hold and being re directed whilst on long distance call is very daunting, I dont know what to do
Im sure the answer is quite simple but I have so much to do at moment I cant think straight - HELP

My Oh and I have been having this problem,we downloaded the forms etc from ss website. You have to get your bank to sign it then send it off to the address on the form. We did call them to ask if we could send both forms in the same envelope, they said that was o.k. Well a month later my OH had his s.s. paid into our U.K bank, mine was paid into our U.S bank,so I repeated the process with mine and sent it off again with a cover letter still paid into U.S bank. I got in touch by email with the American embassy (Email: [email protected] ) and they were very quick to email me a form which I filled out and emailed back this was within 24 hours, fingers crossed that this month it will be paid into U.K bank. I will let you know what happens.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Judes....I found this for you. Hope it helps.

Social Security Offices Overseas

In countries where there are a relatively large number of Social Security customers, U.S. embassies and consulates have personnel who have been specially trained to provide a full range of Social Security services abroad. Click on the appropriate country name for contact information, including email, phone, fax, and mailing addresses.
United Kingdom
Federal Benefits Unit
American Embassy
Box 0005
W1A 2LQ London
England
Phone: 44-20-7499-9000
(09:30 - 1:30)
Fax: 44-20-7495-7200

Email: [email protected]
thanks Trotty you little star ! Rang a minute ago and a very nice man is going to call me back, no being sent from pillar to post, so refreshing. How on earth do you people get all your info from, you are sure cleverer then me !!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sentosa
My Oh and I have been having this problem,we downloaded the forms etc from ss website. You have to get your bank to sign it then send it off to the address on the form. We did call them to ask if we could send both forms in the same envelope, they said that was o.k. Well a month later my OH had his s.s. paid into our U.K bank, mine was paid into our U.S bank,so I repeated the process with mine and sent it off again with a cover letter still paid into U.S bank. I got in touch by email with the American embassy (Email: [email protected] ) and they were very quick to email me a form which I filled out and emailed back this was within 24 hours, fingers crossed that this month it will be paid into U.K bank. I will let you know what happens.
What a palaver to get your own money isnt it !! I rang the # Trotty gave me and waiting on advice, the guy was lovely !!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:18 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of you have admitted that the national pastime of your fellow countrymen (and women) is having a good moan.

One of the 'main moans' I hear all the time over here is that immigrants don't assimilate into the UK culture.

Interesting then to read the following letter in a recent issue of The Times.
The full English
Every time I read an article or letter regarding other nationalities' lack of integration into our culture it makes me laugh out loud. Having travelled to many countries around the world, wherever I go I find British people doing the same thing: living in small communities together, going to British theme pubs, eating fry-ups, drinking pints and everyone speaking English. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Maybe this will help, there is a Social security administration office in the Embassy in London.
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/fbu/index.html
Mummy, made a phone call this am and am waiting ffor a call back, you guys are amazing, I love you all
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if all of you who have moved back can give us an idea as to how you are managing with making new friends and getting a social life going. I think it must be easier for couples that singles. Are you finding people friendly and do they welcome you back as a Brit or a Foreigner. Are you finding it easy to get back into the English way of talking. I am hoping when I get back that I become one of the many not one of the few. Not that I mind but its always strange when after all these years I am asked am Irish or Scottish. They cannot quite get my accent. When I am home they also know I am not from the area so again I get that question. Where are you from Course Lancashire people do have a definate accent.
It'll be 6 months this weekend for me, how time flies!

Two months in we tied the knot & must say we're very happy together in spite of a string of difficulties. Both hubby and I have had some health issues since I arrived, he fortunately has since been given a clean bill of health. That has curtailed some of the things we would normally be doing and as such we really haven't been able to develop a new network of friends as we've really not been out much.

Last month brought another complication in that hubby is now out of work so a lot of time & energy is devoted to job hunting. This will certainly involve a move as prospects for the same type of work are very limited here. The uncertainty of where we're going to end up is a bit daunting but I'm sure we will manage. I'll be sorry to leave this area as I'd quite taken to it and I really love our flat, however, that as they say is life and as long as we're together that counts for everything. Both of us would love a move north if there's a job there as we'd be closer to family and friends.

Despite the hiccups, I think I've settled back in the UK quite nicely and I can't say I miss Canada at all, incredibly it just seems like some place I lived for awhile (albeit 45 years!!) and now I'm home again. I do miss my dad & sister and of course the dogs but we do the Skype video thing regularly (the dogs too) and that's been a big help.

As for comparing the costs for everything its not something I really think about - there's no point in comparing as we're here and not there. However, for the sake of observation, our rent is somewhat less than what we'd pay in a major Canadian city like Toronto. I've found food is cheaper, particularly milk, produce and of course cheese. We don't have a car at the moment so we're not dealing with the higher cost of fuel for private transportation nor the parking nightmares. Healthcare is something I've been pleased with here. I realize personal experiences can vary wildly where this is concerned and I will admit that in light of my own I was disgusted with the Canadian healthcare system. As it turns out I've had more health difficulties over the past few months than I remember having in years and I'm glad to have had the NHS to deal with instead.

As for an accent well, it stands to reason a Geordie is going to stand out in Kent but now and again people will ask me if I've been away in Canada or America for awhile so apparently some of that must have slipped into my dialect somewhere along the way. Funny, I didn't think I sounded any different than I did when I first left . If people ask I just tell them I'm from South Shields. Some who do know I've spent time across the pond will ask the usual - what's the snow like, have you ever seen a bear etc. They're amazed to hear I regularly had bears in the back garden. I find people for the most part are very friendly and helpful. I hear complaints about the lack of customer service in this country but I have to say if anything I've found just the opposite. As with anywhere I guess your own attitude makes a difference - if you're happy to meet new people most of the time they'll take to you too.

All in all I find it's only little things that bother me about my move back here and for that I am thankful. I can live with the light bulbs issue, we've bitten the bullet and bought our wardrobes for those bedrooms that don't have any built in storage.... you know, the usual stuff. I'm very happy to be back here and feel more content than I have in many many years. That counts for a lot and together with this lovely man I now call my husband I'm sure we'll get over the troubles at hand and everything will be just fine. It's good to be home
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:37 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
It is a ridiculous law and I don't know of any other country that has this requirement. Remember this is from 20+ years ago. Funny how it wasn't important for the last 19 years. It's an obvious cash grab. If our Finance Minister is up in arms about it, it's a little more than about following the rules.
You are correct. No other country has that law. But the US has had it for a lot longer than 20 years and has been chasing people down for all of those 20 years, including in Canada.

Just because something just hit the newspapers in Canada, doesn't mean it's a new thing. Presumably the finance minister is making a fuss because he's a politician and the newspapers are asking him questions. It's what politicians do

If I went back to the UK, didn't file taxes for the next 19 years, and then finally got caught, I'd have only myself to blame. Bet she brought this on herself by asking about social security - happens all the time.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 29th 2011 at 11:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.