Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

A good reason NOT to get US citizenship before leaving, this article re: US Citizens abroad filing annual tax returns, appeared in our local paper this weekend and surprised even me :

http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...340/story.html

Scary! Sounds like a money grab to me. And to this person who responded the next day:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/ca...318/story.html
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:24 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It's utterly amazing to me that people don't know the tax laws of their own country.

If I know I have to file taxes when I leave, why don't they? They were actually born here! And surely it must have come up during her immigration process.

I think a lot of Americans think they can escape the obligation when they leave and no one will catch them. Others just don't bother to check on their obligations and then cry 'big government' when it catches up with them.

Like the lady in the article, we won't have to pay US taxes because taxes in the UK are higher, but we'll have to file every year. I think it's a ridiculous law, but it is the law. She should have known that.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 28th 2011 at 11:27 am.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Starting to sound like a true Brit
Now that is what I call a compliment.

Thank you.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My thoughts on moving out of a big home into a small one, which we will be doing in the UK. The rental we are in right now I would compare to a Bungalow in the UK. I must admit I am having trouble with the transition from a large home to small one. It has its pro's and con's. The pro's are I can clean it in a few hours and have much more time to read and do my own thing. The con's are trying to find places to put everything. Cupboard space is very limited, no big closets, small fridge, and I think what it really getting to me is if you are in one room you can hear everything going in the next room. This house is open plan so the only doors are on the bedrooms and bathroom but even with doors closed the noise comes through. Will have to make sure when we buy to take note of all the things I dont want or what a do want in that home.
Hi Trotty. I can relate to this as I moved into my little bungalow which I absolutely love would love to be able to buy it..
In the kitchen there is one drawer hahaha. i had 8 in my kitchen in NH.. No where to put anything, i feel as if I am moving things from one spot to another. My dining room ( yes even got dining room is so small only room for the little round table 6 chairs and one sideboard ( which i havent got get!).
The weather has been just perfect and I continue to be happy.
I did not take the carer job in the end, it was too sad for me. Poor lady was only in her eary 40s and could not talk advanced MS. I need to be happy at work right now.
I am finding food quite cheap.. it can be anyway and I shop the reduced all the time.
My daughters arrive here in 3 weeks and my son at the end of October... I am sure my money will go very quickly then.
Job Seekers for signing on continues to be a very scary place... for some one my age. But my advisor gave me the name and number of some one to help me with my CV and also the number of a place to call for people my age group (59)searching for work.

Trotty as I said before I certainly am glad I did not bring over with me all i wanted to.. I shall be down sizing those boxes greatly, I dont want my plates and serving dishes etc.. I even think I wil just leave my lovely bed cover behind too.
So this is a list of my purchases for my new home
3 seater Ikea ( top of their range)Sofa from the British Heart Foundation shop $120.00
Beautiful big comfy armchair BHF £40.
Pine corner TV stand ( no TV yet) 315.
Gorgeous pine bed frame king size £80 BHF
New King mattress £199. 00 free delivery!
dining table and 5 chairs ( got to get one more) very sturdy real wood have no idea what wood.. £80. BHF
Bargain of the day was
I was driving to see my mum, and drove by a house where a guy was moving furniture, it was a recently sold place so i thought Hmmm wonder if he is moving in or out, no harm asking. So stopped the car asked the question and he said moving out... so he had a wonderful sealy posterpeadic double bed as new with pine head board.. 4 draws under... mattress and divan.. and so between us we carried it back to my place in 5 trips.. FREE! Sons bed!
Chest of draws real wood not flat packed etc 20 pounds from Loros char shop.
various kitchen bits and bobs from family and friends and my new neighbour gave me a set of knives and a phone yesterday...
All i need now is a freezer and a washing machine. The rest can wait.
My SIL has given me duvets and covers. I did buy new pillows and cushions and throws for my sofa and chair.
I will try very hard to borrow a camera to take pics this weekend.
Not got TV phone or internet yet but hope to soon.
Back here at the weekend to catch up some more.
Best wishes everyone.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi Trotty. I can relate to this as I moved into my little bungalow which I absolutely love would love to be able to buy it..
In the kitchen there is one drawer hahaha. i had 8 in my kitchen in NH.. No where to put anything, i feel as if I am moving things from one spot to another. My dining room ( yes even got dining room is so small only room for the little round table 6 chairs and one sideboard ( which i havent got get!).
The weather has been just perfect and I continue to be happy.
I did not take the carer job in the end, it was too sad for me. Poor lady was only in her eary 40s and could not talk advanced MS. I need to be happy at work right now.
I am finding food quite cheap.. it can be anyway and I shop the reduced all the time.
My daughters arrive here in 3 weeks and my son at the end of October... I am sure my money will go very quickly then.
Job Seekers for signing on continues to be a very scary place... for some one my age. But my advisor gave me the name and number of some one to help me with my CV and also the number of a place to call for people my age group (59)searching for work.

Trotty as I said before I certainly am glad I did not bring over with me all i wanted to.. I shall be down sizing those boxes greatly, I dont want my plates and serving dishes etc.. I even think I wil just leave my lovely bed cover behind too.
So this is a list of my purchases for my new home
3 seater Ikea ( top of their range)Sofa from the British Heart Foundation shop $120.00
Beautiful big comfy armchair BHF £40.
Pine corner TV stand ( no TV yet) 315.
Gorgeous pine bed frame king size £80 BHF
New King mattress £199. 00 free delivery!
dining table and 5 chairs ( got to get one more) very sturdy real wood have no idea what wood.. £80. BHF
Bargain of the day was
I was driving to see my mum, and drove by a house where a guy was moving furniture, it was a recently sold place so i thought Hmmm wonder if he is moving in or out, no harm asking. So stopped the car asked the question and he said moving out... so he had a wonderful sealy posterpeadic double bed as new with pine head board.. 4 draws under... mattress and divan.. and so between us we carried it back to my place in 5 trips.. FREE! Sons bed!
Chest of draws real wood not flat packed etc 20 pounds from Loros char shop.
various kitchen bits and bobs from family and friends and my new neighbour gave me a set of knives and a phone yesterday...
All i need now is a freezer and a washing machine. The rest can wait.
My SIL has given me duvets and covers. I did buy new pillows and cushions and throws for my sofa and chair.
I will try very hard to borrow a camera to take pics this weekend.
Not got TV phone or internet yet but hope to soon.
Back here at the weekend to catch up some more.
Best wishes everyone.
Wow Charley you are the bargain shopper par excellence! What brilliant finds! This all sounds fantastic and best of all, you sound so happy!
Good luck with the job search and with everything....

Tina.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

bandrui..I dont understand why people think they dont have to file taxes returns. When we left the UK many years ago they sent us a bill for money owed to the taxman. We paid it and I kept the receipt. I still have it

When we return to the UK we wil still have to pay taxes on income earned in the US but not on pensions and monies taken to the UK. The UK will tax us on what we take out of our savings. But we knew that. We did get an accountant to do all that needs to be done in the US he has been doing our taxes for a few years.

My husband is a US citizen so I dont think it would have made any difference me being a US Citizen or not. If you earn in the US you pay here unless it comes under the US-UK double dip law.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl... Sounds like you have an eye for a bargain. Would love to see pictures of your cottage. Remember when your children arrive you are in charge its a new start for you all. No sliding back

I wonder if all of you who have moved back can give us an idea as to how you are managing with making new friends and getting a social life going. I think it must be easier for couples that singles. Are you finding people friendly and do they welcome you back as a Brit or a Foreigner. Are you finding it easy to get back into the English way of talking. I am hoping when I get back that I become one of the many not one of the few. Not that I mind but its always strange when after all these years I am asked am Irish or Scottish. They cannot quite get my accent. When I am home they also know I am not from the area so again I get that question. Where are you from Course Lancashire people do have a definate accent.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

My husband received an email regarding his UK Visa Application and they said it was starting the process. This should take from 3 weeks to 6.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sallysimmons....When I was on Rightmove this morning I noticed the overseas sales. Not much in New Hampshire but quite alot in New York. Perhaps you should put yours on that website.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons....When I was on Rightmove this morning I noticed the overseas sales. Not much in New Hampshire but quite alot in New York. Perhaps you should put yours on that website.
Thanks! We definitely will when the time comes. We're meeting the estate agent next week to talk about what, if anything, we should do to the house to prepare it for sale.

The good news is she just sold one round the corner from us for $100,000 more than I had expected. She seems to think ours is worth about the same and that would be fabulous if true. This is quite a good area for sales just because we're so close to Manhattan and there's a train station less than 5 minutes walk away. Fingers crossed! Still, we're about a year from putting it up for sale so thing could change a lot between now and then.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:56 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been a grueling few weeks of work for me lately. Been going in at 7am and working 9 hour days (our standard work day is 7 hours), but I'm home now, we've had supper, I've done the washing up, and in a little while we're out to Windsor to see 'Passion for Puccini' at the Theatre Royal. Have really been looking forward to this.

But before we pack up for Puccini, it was time for a cup of tea and a slice of cake: Tesco's Iced Madeira cake. It is absolutely delicious - and only £1. Definitely a Best Buy.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-739_5010204085739_idshot_225x225.jpg  
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

I need help
can anyone remember me mithering on about getting mine and DH ss once we were in UK ? Well DH received a check today but it was greatly reduced and my first ss check hasnt appeared at all. said checks are sent to my friend in USA who deposits them in USA bank ( we plan on it being paid into UK bank, in fact we set DH in motion and was assurred it would happen, wrong ! ) any idea how I can rectify this, so hard to make phone calls from this end, the eternal on hold and being re directed whilst on long distance call is very daunting, I dont know what to do
Im sure the answer is quite simple but I have so much to do at moment I cant think straight - HELP
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
A good reason NOT to get US citizenship before leaving, this article re: US Citizens abroad filing annual tax returns, appeared in our local paper this weekend and surprised even me :

http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...340/story.html

Scary! Sounds like a money grab to me. And to this person who responded the next day:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/ca...318/story.html
Taxation without representation? Sounds like the reason they seceded from the Brits in the first place and now they are guilty of the same thing.
I know we will have to file federal taxes annually, we want to collect our SS so will need to be current in everything.
But kids who move away and never move back? Thats just beyond ridiculous.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Judes....I found this for you. Hope it helps.

Social Security Offices Overseas

In countries where there are a relatively large number of Social Security customers, U.S. embassies and consulates have personnel who have been specially trained to provide a full range of Social Security services abroad. Click on the appropriate country name for contact information, including email, phone, fax, and mailing addresses.
United Kingdom
Federal Benefits Unit
American Embassy
Box 0005
W1A 2LQ London
England
Phone: 44-20-7499-9000
(09:30 - 1:30)
Fax: 44-20-7495-7200

Email: [email protected]
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
I need help
can anyone remember me mithering on about getting mine and DH ss once we were in UK ? Well DH received a check today but it was greatly reduced and my first ss check hasnt appeared at all. said checks are sent to my friend in USA who deposits them in USA bank ( we plan on it being paid into UK bank, in fact we set DH in motion and was assurred it would happen, wrong ! ) any idea how I can rectify this, so hard to make phone calls from this end, the eternal on hold and being re directed whilst on long distance call is very daunting, I dont know what to do
Im sure the answer is quite simple but I have so much to do at moment I cant think straight - HELP
Maybe this will help, there is a Social security administration office in the Embassy in London.
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/fbu/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.