Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Wal-Mart 'rolls back' their prices all the time but it never leads anyone on here to say 'The price of food is going down in America'.
The truth is wal mart puts prices up before rolling them back, they love to advertise roll backs as its all about their image, I doubt the UKs prices are really getting any cheaper.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the top 15 richest people in the US, 3 of them are the Wall family.

Billionairs
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:34 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Barb, the latest issue of The Lady arrived today. There's another scheme manager job. This one's in Ealing.

Westlon Housing Association
Experienced Scheme Manager Required (Resident) for Sheltered Housing
Ealing, London W5
(£15,912 p.a. plus rent-free accommodation)

Experienced scheme manager required in sheltered accommodation for
older people in Ealing, West London.
Duties include co-ordinating and monitoring support to tenants, including
ensuring they receive appropriate help from social care and health agencies,
in order to maintain their independence.
Good communication skills and the ability to make good relationships with
tenants are essential, as is extensive experience of working with older people.

For job description and application form please contact:
Marian or Maxine on 020 8201 8484

Closing date for receipt of completed application forms: 06/10/11
Interviews (if shortlisted): Thursday 13/10/11

Thanks DDL, another one, that will make 4 or 5 to apply for this weekend.

Only thing I know of Ealing is those old fillums!!! What's it like there, you know far more than me about darn sarf.

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 24th 2011 at 10:38 am.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
With the rent free bit ...it is a survivable salary plus Ealing is very nice and leafy.
Warming up to Ealing Gab, would I have talk with a Cockney accent like?

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 24th 2011 at 10:38 am.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Out of the top 15 richest people in the US, 3 of them are the Wall family.

Billionairs
Are they from the ice cream family.

This bit of the forum is called MBTTUK = Moving Back To The UK, not the USA.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Its optional lol

I am sure you have been google-ing ...but some parts are really pretty actually.Years ago my Mum looked in to a similar job round there,we all had a good look round then.

You will be busy with all those applications ~good luck Bee
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh, its also very easy to bus it round there...easy places to get to are Richmond ,Kew gardens ...

Plus ,it would be easy to get to Heathrow (if needed)
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on moving out of a big home into a small one, which we will be doing in the UK. The rental we are in right now I would compare to a Bungalow in the UK. I must admit I am having trouble with the transition from a large home to small one. It has its pro's and con's. The pro's are I can clean it in a few hours and have much more time to read and do my own thing. The con's are trying to find places to put everything. Cupboard space is very limited, no big closets, small fridge, and I think what it really getting to me is if you are in one room you can hear everything going in the next room. This house is open plan so the only doors are on the bedrooms and bathroom but even with doors closed the noise comes through. Will have to make sure when we buy to take note of all the things I dont want or what a do want in that home.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:29 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Today was the annual community fair at Eton College. All proceeds - everything - are donated to a variety of charities that are voted on by the boys themselves.

It was an absolutely gorgeous autumn day - sunny with temperatures in the mid 60s.

Every stall was hosted by a different charity - loads of bric-a-brac; homebaked goodies; Tombolas; barbecue; games; and of course: tea.

Afterwards, we walked up the street into Eton, which is always enjoyable.

One interesting sight of the day: a long queue of Etonians lined up at the cash pointe machine at Coutts Bank (the Queen's bank) on Eton High Street. I hope mummy and daddy have topped up those accounts!

Pictures from our day here: http://on.fb.me/qZbPMf
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

...and now you calculated at one glass a day you are up to March 12, 2067.

...and besides your not very patriotic to England by drinking Scotch. I would have thought you would show English patriotism by drinking gin?

Cheers
Eeeeeeyak I hate Gin with a passion nasty nasty nasty taste
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

How about the lady who was 112. She had never been married and she attributes that to her long life.

Cheers
Yes I will go along with that, ------ less stress will definitely prolong your life Lol.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

DDL, I really love seeing the photos of your adventures. You really, really have to start a blog about all these great places you go to.

p.s I think that the Union Jacks in the sand were some kind of lucky dip style game, pick a flag, one of them will win you a prize type of thing.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL...Loved the pictures I would have enjoyed rumaging through the books and eating a cupcake.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:17 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed those pictures DDL, still puzzling over the planking guy half way up the wall
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My thoughts on moving out of a big home into a small one, which we will be doing in the UK. The rental we are in right now I would compare to a Bungalow in the UK. I must admit I am having trouble with the transition from a large home to small one. It has its pro's and con's. The pro's are I can clean it in a few hours and have much more time to read and do my own thing. The con's are trying to find places to put everything. Cupboard space is very limited, no big closets, small fridge, and I think what it really getting to me is if you are in one room you can hear everything going in the next room. This house is open plan so the only doors are on the bedrooms and bathroom but even with doors closed the noise comes through. Will have to make sure when we buy to take note of all the things I dont want or what a do want in that home.
Hi trotty,
I dont think you will have much trouble finding a nice house here with sufficient space for everything,
Just an example ----- the house me and Mum live in in Portsmouth, it was built in the mid 30,s and Mum bought it in the mid 60,s, it is just a terraced house but once you step through the front door and walk through the hallway and into the large living room, (used to be two rooms, Dad knocked down the wall to make a nice long and large room a few years after moving in) and then step out to the large extended modern kitchen with lots and lots of big cubard space, more then you need actually,
you gaze out the window while having your tea and porridge in the morning to a lovely long an large back garden full of plants and bushes, Ahhhh such a delight, you walk back into the hallway and up the stairs (apple & pairs) and the master bedroom is huge, my mums room and then two smaller but nice size rooms, a large attic to store your junk
nice remodeled bathroom upstairs with separate shower unit and also a bath,
and downstairs there is a loo,
Washing machine in kitchen, and dryer, and a nice size fridge which is half fridge half freezer with drawers, and also we have a nice large separate freezer in another room off of the kitchen,
you talked about closet space trotty ----- OK now when my Dad was alive many years ago him being a carpenter and joiner fitted built in wardrobes in the master bedroom ---- mainly for my Mum cause like most women has a
s--t load of clothes and shoes, Mum has three very large built in closets plus a smaller wardrobe, plus
(two)
5 drawer chest of draws, and well lets put it this way if you needed more room then that then maybe its time to bag up a few 30 gallon garbage bags and drop off at the salvation army,
In my bedroom I have one very large built in closet plus two 5 drawer chest of draws, ---- plenty of room for me but then Im a man he he he
Well you get the picture, you can get small houses here that are reaLLY TINY too but just like in the States too, it just takes a lot of shopping around when you are making a major investment like buying a house right!!!
Over here I notice that people make a lot of improvements when they buy a house, knocking down walls, extending this and that, and it seems to me that to the people over here they expect to do this and its just soooo natural for them, ----- me well I can just about screw in a light bulb, ----- and I even have problems with that lately with the new ones that we have to use now
Take care trotty and dont worry about a darn thing just keep counting those weeks and months off the calender till you are close to ready to leave
Rodney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.