Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I agree that there's a lot of cheap crap in the high street in the UK, but I think that's a function of working people caring about design and wanting trendy things on a budget. If you go to US budget furniture stores, the products are hideous. Most self-respecting working people in the UK wouldn't be seen dead with a sofa from Bob's Furniture.

I bought my sofas and chairs from Domain and waited 10 weeks for them. I thought that was the norm for nice stuff.

Thanks Rodney and Englishmum - I'm really excited!

I've decided against the Queen Mary as an option simply because of the cats. While it may make me feel better not to put them in the hold, I think that 7 days of stress would be much harder on them than 10 hours or so. I am absolutely dreading shipping them but it has to be done.

Rodney, we haven't yet bought tickets but if you knew my husband, you'd know this is now set in stone. Once he makes a plan, he's almost militaristic in sticking to it!

We're making our plan for the move tomorrow - we'll map out everything that has to be done and assign dates, and then we'll work our way through it. First thing - clear out the remaining books that we don't want to take with us.
Sally, describing your husband in that respect is like describing me, once I make up my mind about something thats it no turning back,
Sally I remember reading posts of yours a while back when you were trying your darndest to convince your hubby, and then you went on that first trip to England last year I think it was and then this one you just returned from,
I think the first trip about half convinced him about going with you to your home for good, but this last one was the cruncher right? ---- you both loved it here didn't you?
Good for you
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Brilliant! But listen to Jasper, when I was fluffing around my son said " Mum, just buy the tickets and let the rest fall in place " so we did and it worked
Thats what I did ---- and it worked for me too
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh no, I didn't know Domain had gone out of business. (I stopped looking at furniture when we got cats ).

The stuff we bought from them 13 years ago is still going as strong as ever. I had to get new slipcovers because the cats made a mess of the original ones, but the actual sofas and chairs underneath are as good as new. They were a fantastic company.
Hi Sally,
My Mums living room furniture was bought over 40 years ago and still going strong, its two large recliners with a matching four seater sofa, when Mum & Dad bought the suite everything was real black leather, then the Summer of 1976 came along, I was home visiting from when I was living in Canada, and this Summer was the hottest at that time for a hundred years I think I recall, anyway everyone was sticking to this furniture cause it was so hot and humid over 100 degrees, thats one thing I hate about leather ----- its very uncomfortable when its really hot with no air conditioning, so they decided that year to re-upholster the whole suite, the suite was expensive to buy even way back then cause my Mum always believed in always buying quality, and so it was quite expensive also to get the furniture company to re-upholster the suite,
(those were the days before credit cards when people actually saved up hard and long for something they wanted)
So anyway the suite has been re- upholstered three times in that 40 years and I swear that you would think that it just came from the showroom,
the cushions are the type that dont sag down when you sit on them, they are firm and thick, the back of the chairs and sofa is nice and high so everyone can just relax and put there head back, and also very thick padding, and when your sitting in this kind of made for a lifetime real quality strong furniture, you really can tell the difference, BIG TIME!!! ------ my lazy boy recliners that I sold in America before I left were not a scratch on this furniture in my Mums house
Im afraid they dont make furniture like that anymore, you probably could get a simular quality here in England even now though if you got a really good reputable furniture company to custom make it for you to your own specifications, but it sure would be expensive
The best part about this furniture is that not only is it a totally pleasurable experience sitting in this really good furniture from yesterdear ---- it shows absolutely no wear at all ---- and it looks more modern in its style then most furniture today

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 19th 2011 at 12:20 am. Reason: add word
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers,
The new series of Doc Martin started last Monday, it was very good and very funny too, and the second episode is on tomorrow at 9pm,

Today the TV was excellent if you like period dramas like I do, it started at 3pm they aired a marathon four hour long TV movie based on one of Catherine Cooksons books,
(Tilly Trotter) they have cooksons movies on every Sunday afternoon but normally they are only three hours long, ---- this one was shown in its four part entirety, (fantastic) I loved it, I really got totally into it,

then at 8pm we switched over to the ex factor which was good, especially as Simon isn't there anymore, not in England anyway

Then at 9pm was Downton Abbey, the new series started tonight (excellent)
I will never cease to be amazed at the sheer quality of British TV in general,
I mean you really only need to watch say 5 or 6 channels ever, and you have got it all right there, and all for free, apart for the TV licence, and I think that most people over here are delighted to pay for there licence every year to enjoy so much splendid super dooper programs, Hmmmmm love it over here
Rodney.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers,
The new series of Doc Martin started last Monday, it was very good and very funny too, and the second episode is on tomorrow at 9pm,

Today the TV was excellent if you like period dramas like I do, it started at 3pm they aired a marathon four hour long TV movie based on one of Catherine Cooksons books,
(Tilly Trotter) they have cooksons movies on every Sunday afternoon but normally they are only three hours long, ---- this one was shown in its four part entirety, (fantastic) I loved it, I really got totally into it,

then at 8pm we switched over to the ex factor which was good, especially as Simon isn't there anymore, not in England anyway

I mean you really only need to watch say 5 or 6 channels ever, and you have got it all right there, and all for free, apart for the TV licence, and I think that most people over here are delighted to pay for there licence every year to enjoy so much splendid super dooper programs, Hmmmmm love it over here
Rodney.
Well we have about 100 channels including shopping channels and we also get 55 minutes per hour of commercials on each channel.

It will be awhile before Downton Abbey and the new Doc Martin series makes it to these shores, in the meantime we can watch what the presidential candidates are going to do for the country and also for themselves.

Why vote?

Sorry for being off the subject.

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rodney, I watched Doc Martin the other day and loved it. Can't wait to see Downton Abbey which is downloading as we speak.

Do you know how much your mum paid to have her furniture re-upholstered? And how long did it take? I ask because I may do the same once we get back. Here in America, the cost is prohibitive as always.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Well we have about 100 channels including shopping channels and we also get 55 minutes per hour of commercials on each channel.

It will be awhile before Downton Abbey and the new Doc Martin series makes it to these shores, in the meantime we can watch what the presidential candidates are going to do for the country and also for themselves.

Why vote?

Sorry for being off the subject.

Cheers
The new series of Downton Abbey is scheduled to be shown here in early 2012 (Jan/Feb). If you go to PBS Masterpiece website you can find out the exact dates. Not sure about Doc Martin - not all PBS stations carry it (mine doesn't, but I got the dvds from Netflix).
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DDL
Don't think they are here in the London area, but that's a good resource for people up in your area.

We found a good deal on a super-king headboard from an independent shop on the high street. £100 - upholstered, cream coloured fabric. The super-king headboards in the furniture shops [besides being hideously ugly] were also super-expensive.
Mattressman are based in Norfolk, about 150 miles from where we live. They deliver everywhere.

Where Do We Deliver To?We deliver FREE to the UK and Ireland. We aim to offer Fast, Free Delivery, however some areas such as Scottish Grampian & Highlands, Ireland, Jersey and Guernsey are a 3-5 day service.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers,

Rodney.
AWWWWWW I can't believe I missed Tilly Trotter!!! Normally I watch the Cookson things every Sunday, unfortunately was busy yesterday afternoon. Watched BBC coverage of the Great North Run (in the heart of Cookson Country) in the morning, have to say hubby and I were both teary eyed as the runners ran past our childhood sweet shop and the bottom of the street where I was born just a short distance from the finish line. Last night we both settled in front of the tube where we also watched the new episode of Downton Abbey, its fantastic. I thought I would really miss north american television when I came back here but these days I don't give it a second thought
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:19 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
The new series of Downton Abbey is scheduled to be shown here in early 2012 (Jan/Feb). If you go to PBS Masterpiece website you can find out the exact dates. Not sure about Doc Martin - not all PBS stations carry it (mine doesn't, but I got the dvds from Netflix).
You can also stream Doc Marten on Netflix if you have an account that includes streaming. We cancelled the DVD part of the account and just kept the streaming. I think it's only $10 a month.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can download Expat Shield for free, and watch streaming BBC player, ITV player and many more.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:30 pm
Finally Home!

I haven't been able to do that until now, because The Box, where I download all my shows, bans anyone using a proxy. But they just changed their rules and will now allow it, so I may give it a whirl. I want to access old Channel 4 shows though, and I understand ExPat Shield doesn't work with C4. Is that true?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been able to do that until now, because The Box, where I download all my shows, bans anyone using a proxy. But they just changed their rules and will now allow it, so I may give it a whirl. I want to access old Channel 4 shows though, and I understand ExPat Shield doesn't work with C4. Is that true?
I will have a look when I go home, but I am almost sure it is a website called seesaw that allows you to watch lots of TV channels, if Come Dine With Me is on channel 4 then I defo watched it in Australia.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rodney, I watched Doc Martin the other day and loved it. Can't wait to see Downton Abbey which is downloading as we speak.

Do you know how much your mum paid to have her furniture re-upholstered? And how long did it take? I ask because I may do the same once we get back. Here in America, the cost is prohibitive as always.
Hi Sally, I will ask Mum ------ but she may not remember, cause this last re-upholstery was not done recently, a good 15 years ago, but the fabric is lovely, grey patterned with a soft velvety feel to it, I am amazed at the quality, I dont know how common it is over here for folk to re-upholster there furniture but its probably more common amongst the elderly, Hmmmm
The wisdom of the older folk Huh

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 19th 2011 at 11:25 pm. Reason: add word
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I will have a look when I go home, but I am almost sure it is a website called seesaw that allows you to watch lots of TV channels, if Come Dine With Me is on channel 4 then I defo watched it in Australia.
It is seesaw, but you have to use a proxy IPS or whatever it's called.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.