Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Too late for you now as you already have your sofa, but in my UK edition of "Good Housekeeping" magazine, they have classified adverts in the back for furniture and furnishings, new kitchen fittings etc.

Here are some for sofas (all British manufacturers too) and some of them will mail a catalogue or send free fabric samples (swatches):

http://www.odeonfurniture.co.uk

http://www.kirkdale.co.uk

http://www.oakridgedirect.co.uk

http://www.divani.co.uk

http://www.sofa.com (more pricey/upscale)
Theres some lovely couches on those sites.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
We have decided on a move date!

We're going at the end of April 2013, so that's about 18 months from now. Better get my skates on!!

WOOT!!!
I'm as pleased as punch for you!

Why don't you sail home on the QM2 - with the cats of course! Don't forget you can take as much luggage as you want as long as you can fit it into your cabin aka 'State room'
Congrats on setting the goal. I was hoping for 2012 by Christmas, but likely will be Spring/summer of 2013 too by the time we sell up, can't start that till the big kid graduates and moves.
I really want to take my Dh home by the QM2 He has been in the boat business his whole life and would absolutely love the experience. I would be hopped up on Dramamine, the whole trip, but would do it just for him.
I even planned the trip in my head with some internet searching.
Plane from Sacramento to NYC
QM2 to Southampton
Train from the docks to South Wales, (Newport I think)
Change trains and head north to North Wales and home He loves trains too LOL.
I better start saving my money to do all this.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 18th 2011 at 2:47 am.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

We have decided on a move date!

We're going at the end of April 2013, so that's about 18 months from now. Better get my skates on!!

WOOT!!!
sally this is fantastic!!!!! the dream begins to become reality. Setting a date is so important.....

Tina
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Theres some lovely couches on those sites.
Do have a look, at the offerings locally for us. www.thesuiteexchange.co.uk - which originally did swop stuff, for people - but now only sells new. First class items. - and such a wide range. love Mom, from Don xx
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jasper123
judes isn't that called a swiss knife? a good quality one where it has multi blades?
yeah, exactly like a swiss knife but sturdier I believe. I always think of a swiss knife as kinda dainty, a leatherman is far from dainty ! doesnt matter much, the customs police have it !!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Too late for you now as you already have your sofa, but in my UK edition of "Good Housekeeping" magazine, they have classified adverts in the back for furniture and furnishings, new kitchen fittings etc.

Here are some for sofas (all British manufacturers too) and some of them will mail a catalogue or send free fabric samples (swatches):

http://www.odeonfurniture.co.uk

http://www.kirkdale.co.uk

http://www.oakridgedirect.co.uk

http://www.divani.co.uk

http://www.sofa.com (more pricey/upscale)
Oh dear, I think I bin robbed !! Lovely sofas and cheaper then mine ! But I like mine so no point in worrying
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sally thats absolutely fantastic, its been a long road for you and hubby, have you bought your ticket yet? ----- thats the clincher there, once you have done that and fully paid for it you know for sure its really going to happen,
Now dont dilly dally cause that 18 months may feel like a long way off but its not at all, it goes by so fast,
Brilliant! But listen to Jasper, when I was fluffing around my son said " Mum, just buy the tickets and let the rest fall in place " so we did and it worked
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by judes
Oh dear, I think I bin robbed !! Lovely sofas and cheaper then mine ! But I like mine so no point in worrying
You haven't been robbed trust me! I bought 2 sofa's (as did various friends) years ago from one of these companies (I won't say which for fear of being sued!) and without exception within a few months all of them were baggy, saggy and limp, the cushions were about 2 inches thick. One afternoon after the other half watched a particularly exciting football game on the TV and threw himself back down the whole thing collapsed.

OK for rooms that get occasional use but not for every day furniture. Meanwhile the M&S sofas are going strong 7 years later.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DDL
They're certainly expensive for the quality they are - which is pants.

I have found the quality (and look!) of high street furniture over here to be horrible. That's why 99% of our furniture is old furniture from auction. Different strokes though, I'm sure. Obviously, the majority of the British public like this stuff.

But I have to keep reminding myself that this is an island - certain resources are scarce and expensive. There just isn't the room here for huge manufacturing plants and warehouses to store it all.

When we purchased our [brand new] bed, it took 4-5 weeks for delivery because it had to be made, they don't just keep super-king size mattresses in stock. And I understand this. It's just another little annoyance of life in the UK.

Mind you, I'm not saying you can't buy a cheap sofa over here - because you can. But you get what you pay for.

I would recommend mattressman http://www.mattressman.co.uk for mattresses, they do keep super king in stock. I ordered ours Friday and came the following week. Getting it up the stairs was another matter We ordered the bedstead from one supplier and the mattress from the above. Both arrived within 10 days.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:57 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that there's a lot of cheap crap in the high street in the UK, but I think that's a function of working people caring about design and wanting trendy things on a budget.

If you want to categorize smoked gray glass and gold plastic [fake] brass as 'trendy design' ... be my guest! LOL I thought that stuff went out in the 60s. LOL
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:05 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aries_bird
I would recommend mattressman http://www.mattressman.co.uk for mattresses, they do keep super king in stock. I ordered ours Friday and came the following week. Getting it up the stairs was another matter We ordered the bedstead from one supplier and the mattress from the above. Both arrived within 10 days.

Don't think they are here in the London area, but that's a good resource for people up in your area.

We found a good deal on a super-king headboard from an independent shop on the high street. £100 - upholstered, cream coloured fabric. The super-king headboards in the furniture shops [besides being hideously ugly] were also super-expensive.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Don't think they are here in the London area, but that's a good resource for people up in your area.

We found a good deal on a super-king headboard from an independent shop on the high street. £100 - upholstered, cream coloured fabric. The super-king headboards in the furniture shops [besides being hideously ugly] were also super-expensive.

When I lived here in my previous life I bought my bed off an eBay clearance shop site - it is the most comfortable bed I ever slept on in my whole life, it was only about £150.00 for a double, this time I will get the next size up, can't remember if it's called a queen size here or was that in Australia? Anyway I have it bookmarked.

This is the only furniture shop in my town, lovely stuff but some of it expensive, might be cheap to all those footballer's and Corrie stars though.

http://www.multiyork.co.uk/

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 18th 2011 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
When I lived here in my previous life I bought my bed off an eBay clearance shop site - it is the most comfortable bed I ever slept on in my whole life, it was only about £150.00 for a double, this time I will get the next size up, can't remember if it's called a queen size here or was that in Australia? Anyway I have it bookmarked.

This is the only furniture shop in my town, lovely stuff but some of it expensive, might be cheap to all those footballer's and Corrie stars though.

http://www.multiyork.co.uk/
Oddly enough I was going to post a link to Multiyork, but I thought it best not to as there were posts about sofas being so expensive!

When I was in England last month I picked up a Marks & Spencer furniture catalogue but it was so heavy that I left it at my mum's, but I did like a lot of their items.

The larger 'Next' shops have furniture on display too (they also have a catalogue) but I thought that some of the prices were on the steep side....I would imagine that for a good indicator of quality it would be better to go for furniture from places like M&S, Multiyork, John Lewis etc. but as we all know budgets are usually tight after making an international move.

The apartment in Switzerland is mostly fitted out with furniture from IKEA (apart from our beds, patio set, barbie and dining table and chairs which we shipped from Singapore). The HR department from my spouse's company asked us to choose which items we wanted to fit out the apartment....all from the IKEA catalogue lol!

Now over here in New Jersey our sofa definitely needs replacing - however I can't find anywhere which combines a fair price with decent quality. Many of the furniture retailers (including Domain) have gone out of business and I don't really want to pay for a sofa from Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel or Restoration Hardware (they're all at our local mall) and other than IKEA, Pier 1 or Bob's Furniture I'm scratching my head trying to think of where to look lol!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:20 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I didn't know Domain had gone out of business. (I stopped looking at furniture when we got cats ).

The stuff we bought from them 13 years ago is still going as strong as ever. I had to get new slipcovers because the cats made a mess of the original ones, but the actual sofas and chairs underneath are as good as new. They were a fantastic company.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney - yes, a Leatherman is similar to a Swiss Army knife. They come in various combinations (they're often sold in Costco in the US).

I remember posting more than a decade ago on a Singapore messageboard when we were living there about needing suggestions for a gift for my spouse, and someone recommended a Leatherman. I bought one and my husband was delighted with it. If he's travelling and knows he will be checking in luggage to go in the hold of a plane he usually takes his Leatherman with him as they're so useful.

He has a couple of them now and so does our son.

http://www.leatherman.com/

You can buy them online in the UK from Amazon (they come in various styles and prices):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...fix=leatherman
Thanks Englishmum,
Yes the good old swiss army knife, Ive seen many of them over the years and was thinking of buying one for myself many times but never did, they normally I think come only in red, havent seen any other colors, its a very hansom knife made of fine good quality steel, ---- I sound like a TV add dont I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.