Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
All GREAT news charleygilr!! thanks so much for telling us what's going on--well done on the job, sounds nice--bungalow sounds lovely and you will have son to help with the garden etc!!!!

Keep us posted, these updates are wonderful,

Tina
Yes charleygirl I echo Tina's thoughts, great posts and keep em coming
Rodney.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Hey Rod you should contact the movie theatre and ask them why they don't do a matinee for seniors once in a while, so you can all go and have fun in the daylight hours. I bet you aren't alone in this.
Yes I intend to visit these Managers personally and who knows maybe I can get them to see a little sense
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Judes, wonderful update, so very happy for you, Barb, bargains galour to be had here!
Just a very brief update as i am soon yes only 7.30 but at 8 a.m heading out the door to prepare food for about 150 people for the party tonight.
I had a horrible job finding something new to wear yesterday.. i do find clothes expensive and the fashion is Mary Quant type dresses, er great if you have an hour glass figure... which i do not hahaha. Tried on 13 dresses yesterday and in the end said Sod it and went for coffee and an iced bun.
Paid for my rental yesterday............get the keys Monday, cant wait, the lady has a bottle of champagne in the fridge she wants to open with me....
I guess it was her family home her dad was a chec immigrant and he built it, she has had a hard time letting go after he has passed and her mum in a home... It is just beautiful inside with no expense spared..
have a great weekend everyone.
x
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Any single expat hairdressers on their way back home? Here's a classified ad in this week's The Lady magazine:
ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY. We are looking for an experienced hairdresser who also has skills as a beautician. This is a permanent position. Your role will be to provide hairdressing and beauty services to a lady as she moves between her fully staffed homes in France (Saint Jean Cap Ferrat), a 55 metre luxury super yacht, and an equestrian estate in North Yorkshire. You will spend summers on the Cote d'Azure or afloat in the Mediterranean, and winters on board the yacht in the Caribbean or cruising south of the equator. Salary, which includes medical insurance and all food and accommodation, will be commensurate with experience. Must be able to speak good English. Detailed cv with recent full length photo and salary expectations, with photographic examples of your work, particularly on long hair, to: Caroline Cummings at Boston Hall, Boston Spa, Yorks LS23 6AD or to [email protected].
How the other half lives, eh?
WOW!!!!!!!

How the other half lives.........indeed..............sigh...........

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 17th 2011 at 7:09 am.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Judes, wonderful update, so very happy for you, Barb, bargains galour to be had here!
Just a very brief update as i am soon yes only 7.30 but at 8 a.m heading out the door to prepare food for about 150 people for the party tonight.
I had a horrible job finding something new to wear yesterday.. i do find clothes expensive and the fashion is Mary Quant type dresses, er great if you have an hour glass figure... which i do not hahaha. Tried on 13 dresses yesterday and in the end said Sod it and went for coffee and an iced bun.
Paid for my rental yesterday............get the keys Monday, cant wait, the lady has a bottle of champagne in the fridge she wants to open with me....
I guess it was her family home her dad was a chec immigrant and he built it, she has had a hard time letting go after he has passed and her mum in a home... It is just beautiful inside with no expense spared..
have a great weekend everyone.
x
You need to visit the charity shops Denise, nothing to turn your nose up at here, I have bought lots of work clothes from there and my friend I went to stay with last weekend got a fabulous camel coloured cashmere 3/4 Maxmara coat for £6.00!!! That was in the charity shop near her mum, seems you have to shop around here even for charity shops!

The charity shops in Wilmslow itself are pretty expensive but they do sell a lot of designer labels, must be all those WAG types dropping off their unwanted clothes. For instance I saw a few dresses for £100.00 in there, but one of them was new with a £500.00 tag still on!!

When I was last in Oxfam this customer asked one of the staff to get a handbag out of the window so she could look at it, she thought it was £7.50, turns out it was £75.00!!

Next time you are going to a party you should visit the shops in advance as they always seem to have loads of party/going out/wedding outfits.

BTW re trying on all those dresses, I find the clothing here a little smaller than Australia so you may not be the size you thought you were or maybe it's all those chips LOL!!

Good luck with the move, the place sounds fabulous and I am sure you will be very happy.

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 17th 2011 at 7:28 am.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Ok here I am again and Im HOME !! sorry I have been so tardy in replying but things sure got hectic, We both worked up unto 2 days b4 flying and as we are in the tourist trade it was madness. Then we moved from our house ( the one we sold but the sellers let us rent ) to a chalet at our work, slept on plastic covered mattresses for 2 horrible nights . On our day of departure the floods hit, boy what a mess, almost didnt make the airport, but when we did we were dropped at the wrong departure bit, so we called a porter who helped us get to the correct one, except it wasnt and said porter had disappeared so we ended up pushing and kicking and dragging our multiple luggage down the departure hall with my 84 year old Mum dragging along behind ! the adventure continued, we had to much luggage and some was overweight so we ended up paying off the national debt just to get a load of junk home. A very nice lady advised us to carry on one of our bags to save us $70 which we did but we forgot my DH leatherman knife and a heavy spanner was buried in that bag so were searched and it was confiscated !! He was not a happy man, especially as I packed a pyrex dish simply because it was new and I was stupid, DH tells anyone daft enough to listen that I got a dish home and he lost $200 of tools because of it ( gross exaggeration ) anyway we survived the 7 hour flight ( advice, avoid American airlines like the plague, BA they are not ) Saying good bye to my dear friends ( who gave us 3 going away parties ) did not cause me to shed a tear, but seeing no1 son standing waiting at Heathrow did it for me so very happy to be back. The house is not complete, looking at 2 weeks , but it is so sweet, think I am going to call it Rundell's Cottage after my lovely Gran. We have got a car (Peugot 307S) and got insurance for $300, insured the house for around $140 ( sorry pounds, no pound key) and bought the bed. The sofa is giving us big headaches, off searching again tomorrow if I can con DH into coming ! the bottom line is this just feels so RIGHT, I am where I am meant to be. Seeing our 18 month old in bed with her
" Grandman" being read a story was the icing on the cake. Sorry if Ive rambled, I do come on here a lot but havent had time to add anything, so today you all have to suffer !!
Sounds wonderful to me, Great post...
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jasper123
Judes I wondered when we would hear from you again, lovely first post on U.K. soil, and really great to hear you already feel that home is where you need to be, so the start of the rest of your life my friend is just ahead of you,
I felt the same way since I steped foot on English soil nine & half months ago, it sure feels good to be home dosent it I know this is where I want to be ------ for good!!!! from now on.
Rodney.
It just feels right somehow Rodney doesn't it ? wish we could agree on a bloody sofa tho !!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Ok here I am again and Im HOME !! sorry I have oday you all have to suffer !!
Welcome home to the Judes Family!
Always a cuppa, up in Shropshire. What the hell is a Leatherman Knife? Perhaps Saddlers use them? Don
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spouse visa -Maintenance requirement

Originally Posted by billy76
Hi Everyone !!!
I and my fiancee are concerned about my eligibility for a spouse visa knowing that I am a Non-European currently a postgraduate student and I am working part time which delivers an income of around 400 pound a month. My fiancee's income is 350 pound a month and she is currently disabled and on benefit -She is English. According to the HO guidance available on their website, we fulfilled all the requirements except the maintenance requirement as our joint income is very low 750 pounds a month. However, I am not sure that the following information could help: I have a saving account of 10.000 pound with Santander in UK and the equivalent of 25.000 pound in my saving account in my Country in North Africa split between Local Currency and Euros. In Addition, I have my own house back home that is worth the equivalent of 70.000 pound and I have recently signed an internship contract with an international company based in USA, UK and Germany. This is a 6 months contract to prepare my master's thesis in their office in Germany and they will be paying me 400 Euros a month the equivalent of 350 pounds a month. My fiancee's dad who owns two houses jointly with his wife -my fiancee's mum- has promised her to write a support letter in case we need it knowing that he earns above 30k pounds a year and has savings as well. Please let me know if this could be helpful to fulfill our maintenance requirements as my fiancee has been looking for a job for quite a while and it looks to be really hard to get one these days. Moreover, I hope you could help us with a sample support letter that my fiancee's dad will need to write in support to our case. Thank you very much in advance
Hi, Welcome to BE, I think your post may be in the wrong forum, but maybe someone will come along and help.

I am sure the mods will be able to point you in the right direction, sorry I am not more help but good luck with you visa.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
BTW re trying on all those dresses, I find the clothing here a little smaller than Australia so you may not be the size you thought you were or maybe it's all those chips LOL!!
It's even worse for Americans - our sizes are two smaller than the UK. So if you were a 10 here in the US, you're suddenly a 14 in the UK
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:05 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It just feels right somehow Rodney doesn't it ? wish we could agree on a bloody sofa tho !!
Judes, it's so nice to hear how happy you are - or will be once you agree on a sofa Can't wait to see pictures of the house!

Charleygirl, it sounds like you're the perfect tenant for that nice lady. She can rest easy knowing you'll take care of her house the way it deserves. Congrats again on finding it!

Bee, did we know you smoked? We've all been picking on Rodney and leaving you alone ... until now!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Judes, it's so nice to hear how happy you are - or will be once you agree on a sofa Can't wait to see pictures of the house!

Charleygirl, it sounds like you're the perfect tenant for that nice lady. She can rest easy knowing you'll take care of her house the way it deserves. Congrats again on finding it!

Bee, did we know you smoked? We've all been picking on Rodney and leaving you alone ... until now!
Hi Sally,
I knew Barb smoked, and me well Im still down to 4 0r 5 cigs per day
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Welcome home to the Judes Family!
Always a cuppa, up in Shropshire. What the hell is a Leatherman Knife? Perhaps Saddlers use them? Don
A leatherman knife is a good quality multi tool knife, his came with a leather holder which the damn customs man insisted we kept! Why, he took the knife away !!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

We got the sofa, but heck they are expensive over here. Thank god the house is small and we dont need much !!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

A leatherman knife is a good quality multi tool knife, his came with a leather holder which the damn customs man insisted we kept! Why, he took the knife away !!
Then they are here, but some other well known make - Left mine in Thailand. So have to wait till I spot one! Thanks for the info. Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.