Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
How many times Cheers do I have to tell you I am not from Plymouth, thats where my Sister lived before she died in March,
I live in my home town where I was born and raised ----- PORTSMOUTH !!!!
They sound the same. At my advanced age at least I got the first letter right.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
They sound the same. At my advanced age at least I got the first letter right.
I was thinking well he got the first letter right when I saw Rodneys post.
I keep wanting to say that he's in Southampton, and I know thats not right either.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Portsmouth-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EuHGhb7Y7M

So this your city and I hope I got it right this time.

Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I was thinking well he got the first letter right when I saw Rodneys post.
I keep wanting to say that he's in Southampton, and I know thats not right either.
Now that would be a big mistake since they brought in strike breakers into Portsmouth from Southampton and Portsmouth have never forgot that.

I didn't know that Portsmouth is an island.

Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Big Hug TT wow you move tomorrow, just try and relax a bit when you get to the cottage, thank god you sold your house and just think in 6 months your dream will come true.

I cant remember what I wrote before, but i have now found a different place to live, the one I was going to take ( lost my 200 pounds but never mine) was really too small for me and my son and my girls are visiting too... but I found a place not quite so close to my mums home, ( at least she cant see if I am home or not if I dont want to answer the phone hahaha) anyway it is a beautiful Bungalow, with fab gardens and veggie plot and fruit trees, totally renovated.. and immaculate. It is expensive but rentals are, I will have my son out walking the streets looking for work.
I am so excited, get the keys monday, not a scrap of furniture in there.. so that will be fun. I will post some photos when i am settles.
Got the job as a carer for one lady in her 40s in her own home, no personal care just companionship, so have said yes start Monday, just part time.
And looking for something else to go with it. I feel very lucky to get a job so soon!
meeting my sister in town to day she is coming up from Brighton and we will go for pub lunch... steak and kidney pie and chips... yippee.
I love my little car...and life is good.
Mrs Sully good luck with everything.
Rodney lovely to see you are doing okay.
Got a huge family party to go to on Saturday, live music, a nieces 30th, see I would have missed all this...

take care everyone
Well done Denise, sounds like you are doing amazingly well.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by judes
Up date everyone

finally the house is ours and it took my son half a day to completely destroy it! he always was good at making a mess of something in a short time. Its going to be lovely once he's worked his majic . Its in a small Cornish town called Camborne, which can be best described as central to better places !! But we could afford it and it's near the kids and once you shut your front door who cares ? No one can call me fussy . We've already been invited on a weekend at Ilfracombe, a scooter rally, and we get to go coz son wants a baby sitter for our adorable grand daughter. Chris is a scooter enthusiast, it will be interesting to see this side of him, a side which didnt exist when we left 11 years ago. This is what I've missed, family time, something you cant replicate. I just know Im going to be so content. Its interesting to hear our other son, Rob, perspective on the house, he saw it for the 1st time last week, and agrees it nice, but he wants glass door gone, Chris says keep it, Rob says kitchen is OK, Chris says nope, you need a new one, and us, well well we just sit back and let em do what they think best, sure it will be lovely. We completed the paperwork for the shipping company today, also sent a load of money over to cover what Chris is spending,made some headway into the quarantine / flying over of the dog and started the process for getting our SS paid into a UK bank. So we are slowly slowly reaching our goal. the only advice I can give anyone going through this whole process is to take little bites at your goal, just little bites, dont panic, just keeping ticking off that check list and eventually you will see light, and what a lovely light it is. for all you kind people who have answered queries, I apologise if I didnt reply, despite my advice I have got overwhelmed, but this is a marvelous site, I only have to wonder waht to do next, post it here and very soon someone ( or two or three ) answers me, I thank you all
Ok here I am again and Im HOME !! sorry I have been so tardy in replying but things sure got hectic, We both worked up unto 2 days b4 flying and as we are in the tourist trade it was madness. Then we moved from our house ( the one we sold but the sellers let us rent ) to a chalet at our work, slept on plastic covered mattresses for 2 horrible nights . On our day of departure the floods hit, boy what a mess, almost didnt make the airport, but when we did we were dropped at the wrong departure bit, so we called a porter who helped us get to the correct one, except it wasnt and said porter had disappeared so we ended up pushing and kicking and dragging our multiple luggage down the departure hall with my 84 year old Mum dragging along behind ! the adventure continued, we had to much luggage and some was overweight so we ended up paying off the national debt just to get a load of junk home. A very nice lady advised us to carry on one of our bags to save us $70 which we did but we forgot my DH leatherman knife and a heavy spanner was buried in that bag so were searched and it was confiscated !! He was not a happy man, especially as I packed a pyrex dish simply because it was new and I was stupid, DH tells anyone daft enough to listen that I got a dish home and he lost $200 of tools because of it ( gross exaggeration ) anyway we survived the 7 hour flight ( advice, avoid American airlines like the plague, BA they are not ) Saying good bye to my dear friends ( who gave us 3 going away parties ) did not cause me to shed a tear, but seeing no1 son standing waiting at Heathrow did it for me so very happy to be back. The house is not complete, looking at 2 weeks , but it is so sweet, think I am going to call it Rundell's Cottage after my lovely Gran. We have got a car (Peugot 307S) and got insurance for $300, insured the house for around $140 ( sorry pounds, no pound key) and bought the bed. The sofa is giving us big headaches, off searching again tomorrow if I can con DH into coming ! the bottom line is this just feels so RIGHT, I am where I am meant to be. Seeing our 18 month old in bed with her
" Grandman" being read a story was the icing on the cake. Sorry if Ive rambled, I do come on here a lot but havent had time to add anything, so today you all have to suffer !!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Ok here I am again and Im HOME !! sorry I have been so tardy in replying but things sure got hectic, We both worked up unto 2 days b4 flying and as we are in the tourist trade it was madness. Then we moved from our house ( the one we sold but the sellers let us rent ) to a chalet at our work, slept on plastic covered mattresses for 2 horrible nights . On our day of departure the floods hit, boy what a mess, almost didnt make the airport, but when we did we were dropped at the wrong departure bit, so we called a porter who helped us get to the correct one, except it wasnt and said porter had disappeared so we ended up pushing and kicking and dragging our multiple luggage down the departure hall with my 84 year old Mum dragging along behind ! the adventure continued, we had to much luggage and some was overweight so we ended up paying off the national debt just to get a load of junk home. A very nice lady advised us to carry on one of our bags to save us $70 which we did but we forgot my DH leatherman knife and a heavy spanner was buried in that bag so were searched and it was confiscated !! He was not a happy man, especially as I packed a pyrex dish simply because it was new and I was stupid, DH tells anyone daft enough to listen that I got a dish home and he lost $200 of tools because of it ( gross exaggeration ) anyway we survived the 7 hour flight ( advice, avoid American airlines like the plague, BA they are not ) Saying good bye to my dear friends ( who gave us 3 going away parties ) did not cause me to shed a tear, but seeing no1 son standing waiting at Heathrow did it for me so very happy to be back. The house is not complete, looking at 2 weeks , but it is so sweet, think I am going to call it Rundell's Cottage after my lovely Gran. We have got a car (Peugot 307S) and got insurance for $300, insured the house for around $140 ( sorry pounds, no pound key) and bought the bed. The sofa is giving us big headaches, off searching again tomorrow if I can con DH into coming ! the bottom line is this just feels so RIGHT, I am where I am meant to be. Seeing our 18 month old in bed with her
" Grandman" being read a story was the icing on the cake. Sorry if Ive rambled, I do come on here a lot but havent had time to add anything, so today you all have to suffer !!
No suffering at all just sheer joy on reading your update that YOU (and I) are right back where we are supposed to be.

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 16th 2011 at 8:41 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

OK called into Morrison's Express tonight for some wine and cigs it was almost 8pm after a VERY long and arduous day at work......so the young guy was marking down the goods (25% off the original price) and I was in the right place at the right time plus good special offers on, I am nowhere living in 7th heaven here financially as a single person but I am defo better off than I was in Australia.

AUSTRALIAN CABERNET SAUVIGNON £4
PACKET OF CIGS £5.67
MUSHROOMS 35p
KIPPERS 25p (CHEAP BREAKFAST WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS tomorrow )
SALMON FILLETS (1/2 PRICE) £2.14 FOR 2 BUNG THEM IN THE FREEZER
2 CHICKEN BREAST FILLETS IN BREADCRUMBS 50p BUNG THEM IN THE FREEZER
SAUSAGE AND MASH READY DINNER (1/2 PRICE) £1.00 me sorted for tonight
CHUNKY KIT KAT 59p
PKT 4 WHOLEMEAL BREAD ROLLS 65p
LAMB SHANK IN MINTED GRAVY (1/2 PRICE) £2.50 (tomorrow nights dinner) together with
CARROT/SWEDE/POTATO MASH £1.50

Broken Britain? Not for some of us...............
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Beedubya;9625870]No suffering at all just sheer joy on reading your update that YOU (and I) are right back where we are supposed to

and sheer joy it is, I just feel so RIGHT, content, and a tad complacent I must admit !!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OK called into Morrison's Express tonight for some wine and cigs it was almost 8pm after a VERY long and arduous day at work......so the young guy was marking down the goods (25% off the original price) and I was in the right place at the right time plus good special offers on, I am nowhere living in 7th heaven here financially as a single person but I am defo better off than I was in Australia.

PACKET OF CIGS £5.67
MUSHROOMS 35p
CHUNKY KIT KAT 59p
LAMB SHANK IN MINTED GRAVY (1/2 PRICE) £2.50 (tomorrow nights dinner) together with

Very nice haul So glad for you!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

PACKET OF CIGS £5.67
MUSHROOMS 35p
CHUNKY KIT KAT 59p

Yes Barb you got that right, food quality and cheap prices is one of the best things about living in Britain thats for sure, food in general is cheaper then U.S. also, and of course all our favorite food us Brits like is right here at our finger tips --------- without having to go to a British speciality store that charges an arm and a freaking leg for anything British like in U.S. and like you said when you were in Oz a tin of ambrosia custard was I think you said $5.50 Aus

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 16th 2011 at 10:33 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:54 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Any single expat hairdressers on their way back home? Here's a classified ad in this week's The Lady magazine:
ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY. We are looking for an experienced hairdresser who also has skills as a beautician. This is a permanent position. Your role will be to provide hairdressing and beauty services to a lady as she moves between her fully staffed homes in France (Saint Jean Cap Ferrat), a 55 metre luxury super yacht, and an equestrian estate in North Yorkshire. You will spend summers on the Cote d'Azure or afloat in the Mediterranean, and winters on board the yacht in the Caribbean or cruising south of the equator. Salary, which includes medical insurance and all food and accommodation, will be commensurate with experience. Must be able to speak good English. Detailed cv with recent full length photo and salary expectations, with photographic examples of your work, particularly on long hair, to: Caroline Cummings at Boston Hall, Boston Spa, Yorks LS23 6AD or to [email protected].
How the other half lives, eh?
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Portsmouth-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EuHGhb7Y7M

So this your city and I hope I got it right this time.

Cheers
Cheers sorry I was a little rude my friend, thanks for sending me these clips of Portsmouth rough football hooligans, I new it was dangerous to go to a football match at fratton park when me and my Dad when he was alive in the mid 80,s went to see a game there on one of my visits home, it was really a scary place to be even then ---- much worse now, my Dad used to love going to see Pompey play at fratton park, I used to go there as a kid and I loved it then, my Dad was playing football at his club for about 25 years, he was good too I used to go and watch him when I was a kid, I was so proud of him, his position on the field was left back, he had to give up playing football when he was 50 when his knees got too bad,

You know when I was watching these clips you posted, they mentioned (hooligan firms) I guess thats a British term they use for gangs that work at causing bad trouble at football matches over here,
Its not safe in Portsmouth to go out at night unless your driving a car ---- or better still an armoured truck with bulet proof windows
especially if you are a senior citizen, not safe to walk down the street, or be waiting at a bus stop for a bus, not safe to be in a pub at night, and all this dont really bother me too much cause I prefer to do all my stuff in the day time hours while its still light out,
But I will tell you what really does bother me though is this ----- I love watching movies --- not just any old rubbish but good ones you know, and I like to see a good one on the big screen,well in Portsmouth we have only two major cinemas and guese what? and this is something I just cant understand for the life of me, all kids and teenager movies are showed in the afternoon through to 6pm ----- all the movies for adults like over 17 or is it 18? there all showed at night starting with the first show time of 7pm, now whats this all about I wonder? very strange to say the least, ---- so when a good movie comes out that I want to see I look on line at my two cinemas and the show times are 7pm and some other movies dont start till 9pm, so as its too dangerous for any older person to be out at night here then we cant see a movie ----- unless we want to see a kiddies movie in the afternoon,
Hey Im used to going to see any movie of my choice in Vegas anytime of the day starting at 12 noon, and at matinee senior discounts too, ------ SO THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I CAN ADD TO MY LIST, ---- and yes it really bugs me, QUESTION ---- is there anyone else out there that have made it over here already that have experienced the same thing with the movie times for grown up people where you live?
Take care Cheers and everybody,
Rodney.
Hmmmm my spell checks not working oh well here goes
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Judes I wondered when we would hear from you again, lovely first post on U.K. soil, and really great to hear you already feel that home is where you need to be, so the start of the rest of your life my friend is just ahead of you,
I felt the same way since I steped foot on English soil nine & half months ago, it sure feels good to be home dosent it I know this is where I want to be ------ for good!!!! from now on.
Rodney.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers sorry I was a little rude my friend, thanks for sending me these clips of Portsmouth rough football hooligans, I new it was dangerous to go to a football match at fratton park when me and my Dad when he was alive in the mid 80,s went to see a game there on one of my visits home, it was really a scary place to be even then ---- much worse now, my Dad used to love going to see Pompey play at fratton park, I used to go there as a kid and I loved it then, my Dad was playing football at his club for about 25 years, he was good too I used to go and watch him when I was a kid, I was so proud of him, his position on the field was left back, he had to give up playing football when he was 50 when his knees got too bad,

You know when I was watching these clips you posted, they mentioned (hooligan firms) I guess thats a British term they use for gangs that work at causing bad trouble at football matches over here,
Its not safe in Portsmouth to go out at night unless your driving a car ---- or better still an armoured truck with bulet proof windows
especially if you are a senior citizen, not safe to walk down the street, or be waiting at a bus stop for a bus, not safe to be in a pub at night, and all this dont really bother me too much cause I prefer to do all my stuff in the day time hours while its still light out,
But I will tell you what really does bother me though is this ----- I love watching movies --- not just any old rubbish but good ones you know, and I like to see a good one on the big screen,well in Portsmouth we have only two major cinemas and guese what? and this is something I just cant understand for the life of me, all kids and teenager movies are showed in the afternoon through to 6pm ----- all the movies for adults like over 17 or is it 18? there all showed at night starting with the first show time of 7pm, now whats this all about I wonder? very strange to say the least, ---- so when a good movie comes out that I want to see I look on line at my two cinemas and the show times are 7pm and some other movies dont start till 9pm, so as its too dangerous for any older person to be out at night here then we cant see a movie ----- unless we want to see a kiddies movie in the afternoon,
Hey Im used to going to see any movie of my choice in Vegas anytime of the day starting at 12 noon, and at matinee senior discounts too, ------ SO THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I CAN ADD TO MY LIST, ---- and yes it really bugs me, QUESTION ---- is there anyone else out there that have made it over here already that have experienced the same thing with the movie times for grown up people where you live?
Take care Cheers and everybody,
Rodney.
Hmmmm my spell checks not working oh well here goes
Hey Rod you should contact the movie theatre and ask them why they don't do a matinee for seniors once in a while, so you can all go and have fun in the daylight hours. I bet you aren't alone in this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.