Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:31 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
One day till we move out and its been really hard. No one ever follows through on what they promise. The Salvation Army came and only took the beds and a couple of items of furniture. Said the rest was not sellable. When I went outside to look at the van it was full no room for most of my furniture. I told him that and he said that I could call and complain if I wanted to. I was so upset. The next day I called the Wonderland Charity and asked them if they could take some more furniture. They said yes. I spent the next morning cleaning the sofa and chair and polishing the table and chairs. When the chap came he just looked and said yes he would take everything. He had such a small flat bed truck but he got everything in. He was in the Army Reserve and said he was use to making things fit. Such a difference in people.

It seems that I am finding stuff everywhere. I made another trip to the library. I dont know what it is with people today. Instead of helping me bring in the books they started going through them and got all excited when they found a Harry Potter DVD. Didnt even thank me. I was just glad to get rid of the books.

My shredder is no good. I put more than one sheet of paper in and it stops. I called my son and he is bringing me a big one on Friday but that means I have to take all the filing to the cottage.

My OH is not well he keeps trying to do stuff and then he gets sick. If I tell him not to do it he gets angry. Men........

Will be in touch next week.

DDL...Love your posts and the food.

Have not had time to read all the post will catch up next week.
You are nearly there TT, just a little while longer. After all you have been through you deserve everything to go smoothly now. Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and I'm sending you a big hug.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Oh dear, Trotty, so sorry it is being so hard.

Once you have moved, do take it easy with the unpacking and settling in to the rental--no deadline there, just do it one little bit at a time! Remember the point is to catch your breath there, and take a rest.

Good luck with the move itself, both you and hubby take care.

Tina

I agree Tina.

TT once you and Moe move into the rental you can take a big SIGH...........and STOP....breathe, just rest and relax and take it easy, sit out on the deck watch the boats and read a book or flick through a magazine and sip a nice glass of wine. Chill out as they say.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Just a little update on where we are with our big adventure. I'm sitting on the floor with my iPad wondering what on earth I'm doing at this stage of life and living like 'hippies' for the next 7 weeks! We have booked our plane tickets for 2 nd November so it is really happening now. TT, I have thought of you so much during this time. Somedays, I feel so tired just from the emotional perspective and yet the anticipation of what is ahead keeps me buoyant. I still think about the family here and we are making the most of these weeks. I'm starting to realize the benefits that 'a little space' could bring I love reading all the news from those who have settled in so well and are happy. Quoll, what an exciting time you are having 'back home'. I'm looking forward to our cuppa when you get back to Canberra (but don't think about that just yet). Easterdawn it was lovely to hear from you in the highlands. My sister lives in Brora and my mum used to live in Dornoch. If you get time to drive to Helmsdale there is a great fish and chip cafe there. the decor will make you smile ...
Nearly time for the little ones to come home from school so I'd better get back to preparing afternoon tea
Good luck Mrs Sully--an adventure indeed!--plane booked, wow!

Concept of a little healthy space between family members...that's an interesting one, certainly I think sometimes parents and grandparents can get too wrapped up in lives of their adult children and in worries etc about the grandchildren...I haven't had that chance! (Adult children mostly far away, no g/children yet) but I have seen other grandparents in this situation to an unhealthy degree.

Not saying you are! I'm just saying I liked that you raised this point that a little spcae can sometimes be beneficial....

anyway, the adventure is happening--it's exciting!!

Tina
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Big Hug TT wow you move tomorrow, just try and relax a bit when you get to the cottage, thank god you sold your house and just think in 6 months your dream will come true.

I cant remember what I wrote before, but i have now found a different place to live, the one I was going to take ( lost my 200 pounds but never mine) was really too small for me and my son and my girls are visiting too... but I found a place not quite so close to my mums home, ( at least she cant see if I am home or not if I dont want to answer the phone hahaha) anyway it is a beautiful Bungalow, with fab gardens and veggie plot and fruit trees, totally renovated.. and immaculate. It is expensive but rentals are, I will have my son out walking the streets looking for work.
I am so excited, get the keys monday, not a scrap of furniture in there.. so that will be fun. I will post some photos when i am settles.
Got the job as a carer for one lady in her 40s in her own home, no personal care just companionship, so have said yes start Monday, just part time.
And looking for something else to go with it. I feel very lucky to get a job so soon!
meeting my sister in town to day she is coming up from Brighton and we will go for pub lunch... steak and kidney pie and chips... yippee.
I love my little car...and life is good.
Mrs Sully good luck with everything.
Rodney lovely to see you are doing okay.
Got a huge family party to go to on Saturday, live music, a nieces 30th, see I would have missed all this...

take care everyone
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Big Hug TT wow you move tomorrow, just try and relax a bit when you get to the cottage, thank god you sold your house and just think in 6 months your dream will come true.

I cant remember what I wrote before, but i have now found a different place to live, the one I was going to take ( lost my 200 pounds but never mine) was really too small for me and my son and my girls are visiting too... but I found a place not quite so close to my mums home, ( at least she cant see if I am home or not if I dont want to answer the phone hahaha) anyway it is a beautiful Bungalow, with fab gardens and veggie plot and fruit trees, totally renovated.. and immaculate. It is expensive but rentals are, I will have my son out walking the streets looking for work.
I am so excited, get the keys monday, not a scrap of furniture in there.. so that will be fun. I will post some photos when i am settles.
Got the job as a carer for one lady in her 40s in her own home, no personal care just companionship, so have said yes start Monday, just part time.
And looking for something else to go with it. I feel very lucky to get a job so soon!
meeting my sister in town to day she is coming up from Brighton and we will go for pub lunch... steak and kidney pie and chips... yippee.
Got a huge family party to go to on Saturday, live music, a nieces 30th, see I would have missed all this...

take care everyone
All GREAT news charleygilr!! thanks so much for telling us what's going on--well done on the job, sounds nice--bungalow sounds lovely and you will have son to help with the garden etc!!!!

Keep us posted, these updates are wonderful,

Tina
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:52 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jasper123
cheers thanks for the mantovani clips, I forgot how lovely the music was from his orchestra,
...and for me too, and from watching Mantovani on youtube it led me also to The Minstrel Show and The Billy Cotton Band Show. A good trip down memory lane.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:08 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

B... but I found a place not quite so close to my mums home, ( at least she cant see if I am home or not if I dont want to answer the phone hahaha) ...
lol, same with my MIL, she wanted us to take the bungalow across from her back garden , I can just imagine the call "Juuune, are you there" No thanks, 1 hour away is just fine for me.

[/QUOTE=charleygirl;9622311] steak and kidney pie and chips... yippee.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE=charleygirl;9622311]Got a huge family party to go to on Saturday, live music, a nieces 30th, see I would have missed all this...[/QUOTE]

DH has a priggish family. We have no invite to the christening of the child of his god-daughter (his niece). MIL has made a stand and said if we are not invited then she is not going either.
This was the same niece whose wedding we came over to from US, then were asked to give up our hotel room (where the reception was held) for closer members of the family.
I didn't miss their antics when we were in US and I can live without them here.

Last edited by J.J; Sep 15th 2011 at 9:17 am.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:04 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My shredder is no good. I put more than one sheet of paper in and it stops. I called my son and he is bringing me a big one on Friday but that means I have to take all the filing to the cottage.
Does your local government have a mobile shredder? Ours does - a huge truck comes round to a different town each week and they take up to 4 boxes of paperwork. The guys load it all into big bins and then the whole bin gets dropped into this shredding machine inside the truck. We got rid of so much paper that way.

I know NH is funny about offering government services so as not to impede individual freedom so I'm not sure if you have such a thing, but it's worth asking.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, congrats on finding a home and job so quickly! I can't wait to see the photos of the house when you have it all set up.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:28 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Good luck Mrs Sully--an adventure indeed!--plane booked, wow!

Concept of a little healthy space between family members...that's an interesting one, certainly I think sometimes parents and grandparents can get too wrapped up in lives of their adult children and in worries etc about the grandchildren...I haven't had that chance! (Adult children mostly far away, no g/children yet) but I have seen other grandparents in this situation to an unhealthy degree.

Not saying you are! I'm just saying I liked that you raised this point that a little spcae can sometimes be beneficial....

anyway, the adventure is happening--it's exciting!!

Tina
Thank you Tina. It is very easy to get wrapped up in our children's lives especially when the little ones arrive on the scene. Sometimes we can get so involved we forget we have our own dreams still to fulfill. It's all balance and sometimes it is hard. One thing I have found during this whole adventure planning process, is that our adult children are excited for us. I'm sure this something that occurs with their being parents and of course maturity. There
are days when they seem more sensible than us!!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:32 pm
mrs sully

Originally Posted by J.J
lol, same with my MIL, she wanted us to take the bungalow across from her back garden , I can just imagine the call "Juuune, are you there" No thanks, 1 hour away is just fine for me.

[/QUOTE=charleygirl;9622311] steak and kidney pie and chips... yippee.

[/QUOTE=charleygirl;9622311]Got a huge family party to go to on Saturday, live music, a nieces 30th, see I would have missed all this...[/QUOTE]

DH has a priggish family. We have no invite to the christening of the child of his god-daughter (his niece). MIL has made a stand and said if we are not invited then she is not going either.
This was the same niece whose wedding we came over to from US, then were asked to give up our hotel room (where the reception was held) for closer members of the family.
I didn't miss their antics when we were in US and I can live without them here.[/QUOTE]
Whew JJ, I know that whole family dynamic thing. We emigrated to escape MIL - then she emigrated to Aust !! The family in Norfolk had a good old laugh over that one...
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:34 pm
mrs sully

take care everyone
Good luck for Monday, you sound so happy. Keep smiling Charleygirl.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
A look at Rodney's Plymouth on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCcWGxUnms
How many times Cheers do I have to tell you I am not from Plymouth, thats where my Sister lived before she died in March,
I live in my home town where I was born and raised ----- PORTSMOUTH !!!!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

One day till we move out and its been really hard. No one ever follows through on what they promise. The Salvation Army came and only took the beds and a couple of items of furniture. Said the rest was not sellable. When I went outside to look at the van it was full no room for most of my furniture. I told him that and he said that I could call and complain if I wanted to. I was so upset. The next day I called the Wonderland Charity and asked them if they could take some more furniture. They said yes. I spent the next morning cleaning the sofa and chair and polishing the table and chairs. When the chap came he just looked and said yes he would take everything. He had such a small flat bed truck but he got everything in. He was in the Army Reserve and said he was use to making things fit. Such a difference in people.

It seems that I am finding stuff everywhere. I made another trip to the library. I dont know what it is with people today. Instead of helping me bring in the books they started going through them and got all excited when they found a Harry Potter DVD. Didnt even thank me. I was just glad to get rid of the books.

My OH is not well he keeps trying to do stuff and then he gets sick. If I tell him not to do it he gets angry. Men........

Will be in touch next week.

DDL...Love your posts and the food.

Have not had time to read all the post will catch up next week.
trotty, yes it really is strange about the S.A. they are very particular at what they take, all I had left in the way of furniture that I couldn't sale was two lovely lazy boy recliners, yes they were 12 years old but in great condition, the sally van came and looked at them and said we can take this one but not the other one, they said the other one has a small hole in the back, honestly it was a little wear tare about half inch in size and all the way down the back to the bottom that you would have to really be looking for it to see it, ------- so that was it for me ----- I said you take both or none at all, the two guys said sorry its the rules, so I said OK dont let the door hit you in the ass
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I said you take both or none at all, the two guys said sorry its the rules, so I said OK dont let the door hit you in the ass
That's not a respectable way to talk to an American and I'll have to notify Homeland Security

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.