Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Heavens Sally--glad your house (soon to be on the market after all!) and you are all OK. And that you have the power back--that was a long time to do without.

Aren't you off for UK visit any minute? Hope all will be calm and settled before you go.

Tina
Just a few days to go!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:58 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rodders and everyone else, we just finished watching this as well. I think they said that the first tattoo was in the 1950s. It's so impressive and definitely on my list of things I want to see someday.

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/about-th...ilitary-tattoo

Now, it's EastEnders at 8.00, then I've got BBC4 bookmarked for a 9.00 programme called 'Elegance and Decadence-The Age of The Regency' which will be a 3-part series.

We've had a lovely bank holiday week-end. We went to the Royal Egham Show on Saturday (brought home a homemade Apple & Blackberry pie, and also some Welsh Cakes), and then toured Osterley Park and House (National Trust).

Yesterday, we drove down to Dunsfold (also site of Top Gear's test track) for the big Wings and Wheels airshow but ended up not going in. It was throwing it down - and hubby failed to find out beforehand that a) you needed to bring your own chairs and b) the entrance fee was £22 per person! So we put Plan B into place and ended up visiting the Bourne Mill Antique Centre (had been there once before) for a bit of retail therapy and the best scrambled eggs on toast (in their tearoom) this side of the pond. Picked up The Sunday Times on the way home and I spent a very leisurely and thoroughly enjoyable 4 hours (at least) reading through it last night.

Today, we slept in, had lunch at our local pub (I had a Ploughman's and hubby had the steak & mushroom pie), then we walked through Windsor Great Park which is just around the corner from us. Beautiful, there - just beautiful.

Most people will be headed back to work tomorrow, but we've also taken tomorrow off to go to the (semi-monthly) Sunbury Antiques Market at Kempton racetrack - it opens at 6.30am!

It will be nice going back to work on Wednesday and having the work week already half over.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Rodders and everyone else, we just finished watching this as well. I think they said that the first tattoo was in the 1950s. It's so impressive and definitely on my list of things I want to see someday.

Now, it's EastEnders at 8.00, then I've got BBC4 bookmarked for a 9.00 programme called 'Elegance and Decadence-The Age of The Regency' which will be a 3-part series.

We've had a lovely bank holiday week-end. We went to the Royal Egham Show on Saturday (brought home a homemade Apple & Blackberry pie, and also some Welsh Cakes), and then toured Osterley Park and House (National Trust).

Yesterday, we drove down to Dunsfold (also site of Top Gear's test track) for the big Wings and Wheels airshow but ended up not going in. It was throwing it down - and hubby failed to find out beforehand that a) you needed to bring your own chairs and b) the entrance fee was £22 per person! So we put Plan B into place and ended up visiting the Bourne Mill Antique Centre (had been there once before) for a bit of retail therapy and the best scrambled eggs on toast (in their tearoom) this side of the pond. Picked up The Sunday Times on the way home and I spent a very leisurely and thoroughly enjoyable 4 hours (at least) reading through it last night.

Today, we slept in, had lunch at our local pub (I had a Ploughman's and hubby had the steak & mushroom pie), then we walked through Windsor Great Park which is just around the corner from us. Beautiful, there - just beautiful.

Most people will be headed back to work tomorrow, but we've also taken tomorrow off to go to the (semi-monthly) Sunbury Antiques Market at Kempton racetrack - it opens at 6.30am!

It will be nice going back to work on Wednesday and having the work week already half over.
I want to do all that
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rod you had to wait so long for a response but my afternoon nap got in the way of reading your post. I think my eyes get tired from looking at the monitor for so long so I have to take midday nap.Then I sleep briefly during the night.

Anyway here it is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-1st-time.html

See how much you miss by not reading the Daily Mail.

I was thinking that this place in Scotland increases their tourism revenue by making it attractive to take your test there. I got to hand it to the Scots.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Aug 29th 2011 at 7:51 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:16 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL

Now this part gave me some nostalgia for the old country as well as making my mouth water. Glad you are continuing to enjoy yourselves!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney you have mentioned that there are some of the small niggle things that bother you now you are living in England would you care to share them even though they be minor?

Don't go out of your way to find them.

We know no place is perfect.

Cheers.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Im watching the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on Live TV right now, its good and guess what Ive never heard of this event before, and so I asked my Mum how long has this been going on and she said Ohhhh for years, so she couldn't believe that Ive never heard about it before ---- so I said again how many years has it been on for and she said years and years, so thats as much info I can get from Mum
So on times like this you realize just how long you have been away from your home country
Unlike most of you on here I think ----- I was completely emerged in my life in America, and in so doing I cut myself off from England, I didn't keep track of anything like most of you seem
to have done, remembering previous posts on this subject, people said that they kept up with a lot of the British comedians and TV programs etc etc etc, for all the decades they have lived in there adopted countries, but not me ---- I hardly ever even watched BBC America, maybe 6 times in all, over all those years
However I did buy the latest Cliff Richard music concert DVD on e-bay about 5 years ago
I'm shocked that you've never heard of this before.

It is on Australian TV every year. Doesn't the USA have travel programmes on TV, or show posters of other countries in the windows of travel agents? The Edinburgh Tattoo is an international event.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

It is on Australian TV every year. Doesn't the USA have travel programmes on TV, or show posters of other countries in the windows of travel agents? The Edinburgh Tattoo is an international event.
I haven't seen a travel agents in many years, they used to be everywhere. It's all online now.
I have watched it on TV when I lived in UK.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

I believe from what I have read and seen that the USA doesn't really show much outside of the USA.......although I believe they do now have the BBC (news??) channel.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:12 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Im watching the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on Live TV right now, its good and guess what Ive never heard of this event before, and so I asked my Mum how long has this been going on and she said Ohhhh for years, so she couldn't believe that Ive never heard about it before ---- so I said again how many years has it been on for and she said years and years, so thats as much info I can get from Mum
So on times like this you realize just how long you have been away from your home country
Unlike most of you on here I think ----- I was completely emerged in my life in America, and in so doing I cut myself off from England, I didn't keep track of anything like most of you seem
to have done, remembering previous posts on this subject, people said that they kept up with a lot of the British comedians and TV programs etc etc etc, for all the decades they have lived in there adopted countries, but not me ---- I hardly ever even watched BBC America, maybe 6 times in all, over all those years
However I did buy the latest Cliff Richard music concert DVD on e-bay about 5 years ago
By the time my Wife and I return home, I will have been gone about 35 years. Fully understand your immersion into the life here in America. Tho, my own experience was for about 12 years.
Isn't it odd when you hear or read of things which have happened back home, so important and defining for them, yet complete non-events here in the US.

For example, when I reconnected with home I had no idea what Britpop was, also, the changes within Europe were absolutely amazing (the English travel so much more) Chavs???...what happened to skinheads and punks? Cameras everywhere !!! BBC Radio 5?? 6,7,8???? and as for the House prices ......

Not that I'd know for real, but I suppose the nearest thing to the experience of re-connecting after a time in the US (other than being a castaway) would be to have been in prison for many years.

Anyway, good luck to you and its nice to know someone else has made the change back.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:56 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Xebedee
By the time my Wife and I return home, I will have been gone about 35 years. Fully understand your immersion into the life here in America. Tho, my own experience was for about 12 years.
Isn't it odd when you hear or read of things which have happened back home, so important and defining for them, yet complete non-events here in the US.

For example, when I reconnected with home I had no idea what Britpop was, also, the changes within Europe were absolutely amazing (the English travel so much more) Chavs???...what happened to skinheads and punks? Cameras everywhere !!! BBC Radio 5?? 6,7,8???? and as for the House prices ......

Not that I'd know for real, but I suppose the nearest thing to the experience of re-connecting after a time in the US (other than being a castaway) would be to have been in prison for many years.

Anyway, good luck to you and its nice to know someone else has made the change back.
In my experience it was the differences between before and after expat that contributed somewhat by stealth to my emotional turmoil after arriving back in UK.
We had also immersed abroad, had not attempted to stay 'British' during our time away nor made an effort to be Americans in spirit either, just been ourselves. We enjoyed our life in the USA.

In our first few months back we found UK is and isn't what we thought it would be, everything appeared generally the same but values and attitudes of people had changed, just as ours had from being immersed expats. As these became obvious to us I think they were just as difficult to perceive and grasp as it was for me in a foreign land.

In particular, humour here seemed strange, in many cases it is more like insulting sarcasm than anything remotely funny.
Politics and government policy has just as much intrigue and smoke & mirrors as anywhere else, plenty of fodder for chewing over.

On a lighter note, who knew that Artex ceilings and wood-chip paper would become undesirable. And Camp coffee no longer a chicory delight but a sugared up mutation for flavoring cakes.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:33 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
In my experience it was the differences between before and after expat that contributed somewhat by stealth to my emotional turmoil after arriving back in UK.
We had also immersed abroad, had not attempted to stay 'British' during our time away nor made an effort to be Americans in spirit either, just been ourselves. We enjoyed our life in the USA.
In our first few months back we found UK is and isn't what we thought it would be, everything appeared generally the same but values and attitudes of people had changed, just as ours had from being immersed expats. As these became obvious to us I think they were just as difficult to perceive and grasp as it was for me in a foreign land.
In particular, humour here seemed strange, in many cases it is more like insulting sarcasm than anything remotely funny.
Politics and government policy has just as much intrigue and smoke & mirrors as anywhere else, plenty of fodder for chewing over.
On a lighter note, who knew that Artex ceilings and wood-chip paper would become undesirable. And Camp coffee no longer a chicory delight but a sugared up mutation for flavoring cakes.
Yes, that's the big thing which has a question mark over it. Which is why we don't plan to settle in one place, rather be gypsies and travel the waterways; basically exploring as we wish, when we want and socialising as we feel like it. That's about the best plan I can think of.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=J.J;9590500]In my experience it was the differences between ould
Just for info - Here is a typical ENGLISH joke_

How to Tell the Sex of a Fly
A woman walked into the kitchen to find
her husband stalking around with a fly swatter.
"What are you doing?" she asked.
"Hunting flies" he responded.
"Oh! Killing any?" she asked.
"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females," he replied.

Intrigued, she asked.
"How can you tell them apart?"

He responded,
"3 were on a beer can,
2 were on the phone.

OK? Don
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=dontheturner;9590700]
Originally Posted by J.J
In my experience it was the differences between ould
Just for info - Here is a typical ENGLISH joke_

How to Tell the Sex of a Fly
A woman walked into the kitchen to find
her husband stalking around with a fly swatter.
"What are you doing?" she asked.
"Hunting flies" he responded.
"Oh! Killing any?" she asked.
"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females," he replied.

Intrigued, she asked.
"How can you tell them apart?"

He responded,
"3 were on a beer can,
2 were on the phone.

OK? Don
THATS what I miss. bring on more
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good one

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.