Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I am so tired I am going 6 different ways. The hurricane couldnt have come at a more inconvenient time. Not only am I packing for the rental and sorting for the UK but I have had to stop all that to get ready for this Irene. We sign the contract on Tuesday so I called the estate agent and asked him what happens if we have damage to the property, he told me that there is a clause in our contract that says as long as we agree to fix the problems they cannot back out. I am just worried as we have massive tree's all around the house.

We dragged the generator outside and its ready to go and my OH is going to mow the lawn in the morning so it looks nice when they come for the final walk about on Monday. I stocked the fridge with milk and bread and lets hope we dont lose power.

I know this will make you laugh. I was walking around today with those little stickies stuck to the sole of my shoe if it wasnt that it was packing tape. The dog is having a great time racing around all the boxes she has finally found out she can have fun with this. I keep expecting her to knock herself out bumping into something but so far so good. She just looks so funny.

Well I had better get some sleep it nearly two in the morning.
Good luck with everything Trotty and stay safe.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips on the curtains & stools guys, made to measure curtains sounds best I guess you can get whatever you want that way...mebbe I'm just looking for an excuse to go back to sewing. Has anyone else found that its the little things like this that seem to be more frustrating than anything else when they come back?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:09 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Has anyone else found that its the little things like this that seem to be more frustrating than anything else when they come back?
I already know one little thing that's going to bug me and that's shops closing at 6pm. We're going to be in the UK next week and one night I'm meeting my mum for dinner in Kendal. I suggested we meet about 6pm and go shopping together first and she pointed out that everything there closes at 6. Except on Friday night, when apparently M&S lets it's hair down and stays open until 7.

So far I'm quite encouraged reading the lists of bug-bears - they've all been minor inconveniences rather than anything horrible. Then again, I guess the people who really hate it leave again like Jackie.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a very quick update, all checked in and waiting to board now.......will post more when I am less of a wreck!!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I already know one little thing that's going to bug me and that's shops closing at 6pm. We're going to be in the UK next week and one night I'm meeting my mum for dinner in Kendal. I suggested we meet about 6pm and go shopping together first and she pointed out that everything there closes at 6. Except on Friday night, when apparently M&S lets it's hair down and stays open until 7.

So far I'm quite encouraged reading the lists of bug-bears - they've all been minor inconveniences rather than anything horrible. Then again, I guess the people who really hate it leave again like Jackie.
A lot of the bigger supermarkets and stores are open till about 8pm or so and there are some 24 hour supermarkets. The UK is getting there!!

I remember visiting here years ago and some shops still closed on Wednesday afternoons!! I still can't figure that one out????
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Just a very quick update, all checked in and waiting to board now.......will post more when I am less of a wreck!!
Woohooo!!! Have a glass or two on the plane Denise, will be thinking of you today.

I was worried in case they closed your airport down, how's Hurricane Irene doing?

On another blog I am on, a lady lives in New York and had no idea about the hurricane until last night when she happened to switch on the TV and catch the news. She said she had wonderered why the supermarket was so busy yesterday lunchtime.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Does Charleygirl have her own laptop to bring home with her or will we have to wait until she buys one like Rodney did?

Anybody heard anything from Jackie??

And what happened to Windsong, she seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.
I wondered about those two also...

and there used to be a poster from the states...Hayley...? I think she was heading for Birmingham this summer?

Anyway hope they are all well!

Last edited by Gabgoeshome; Aug 27th 2011 at 12:11 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

srqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nicesrqtoldn is just really nice

Hello Denise

I have been what is know as a lurker here on this thread for many many months, but had to wish you all the very best and a safe journey, and hope everything works out for you.

Just as a general introduction I am in my late fifties, living in Florida, have been there nearly 9.5 years and am in the process of moving home and leaving my 21 year old son behind. It seems such a long story, I have never got started on it.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by srqtoldn
Hello Denise

I have been what is know as a lurker here on this thread for many many months, but had to wish you all the very best and a safe journey, and hope everything works out for you.

Just as a general introduction I am in my late fifties, living in Florida, have been there nearly 9.5 years and am in the process of moving home and leaving my 21 year old son behind. It seems such a long story, I have never got started on it.

Well pull up your chair, and I'll stick the kettle on for a nice cuppa............let us begin.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I wondered about those two also...

and there used to be a poster from the states...Hayley...? I think she was heading for Birmingham this summer?

Anyway hope they are all well!
Yes she was on the non over 50's threads and was going back with her mum and dogs on the QEII I believe, I wonder if she made it over to the flip side??
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Charley girl, I've followed your story and you've been so generous with advice and sharing your experiences. I wish you the best of luck with your new adventure!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

the very best of luck
Youve made me tear up! we leave on Sept 9th I cant wait intil I can say "waiting to board "
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:29 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Charleygirl.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm for shops closing at 6.
If the employees work later pay them a premium and the taxii fare home
Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Denise, and a safe journey home, will wait with bated breath to hear from you again, hope it all works out for you
Denise2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.