Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thanks Barb, not only am i packing 59 years of stuff into 3 cases and 4 boxes.....I am helping take down our gazebo and put the garden furniture away.
We have an area that water leaks into the basement when it rains......so helping son to move stuff up higher etc.
Like you don't have enough on your plate. Stay dry and safe.

Cheers this hasn't turned into anything, in fact we were all having a moan about little annoying things just yesterday, nothing to do with religion. Don't get the hump. It changes hourly.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

That Hurricane Irene sounds like a whopper, I hope everyone that lives on the east coast or any of the states that are in its path stay safe
charleygirl your leaving tomorrow right? make sure you give your flight schedule to cheers so he can track your plane on its journey across the pond
Have a good comfortable flight and we will see you on the flip side,
Rodney.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
That Hurricane Irene sounds like a whopper, I hope everyone that lives on the east coast or any of the states that are in its path stay safe
charleygirl your leaving tomorrow right? make sure you give your flight schedule to cheers so he can track your plane on its journey across the pond
Have a good comfortable flight and we will see you on the flip side,
Rodney.
I heard some airlines are already canceling flights, make sure to check on yours Charleygirl. You can fly out on time.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by curleytops
DDL - Have to say that I loved your list far as I know they're still available there if anyone needs them.
QUOTE: Here's the help you need:::Go to a made to measure Curtain shop, and buy proper Curtains!

For Little household steps, Argos or Asda, and

For ''old fashioned'' Light bulbs, They stock all sizes at B & Q. Regards Don
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:07 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl, I can't believe this storm is arriving right when you are supposed to leave! I hope you are able to go as planned.

We're stocked up with water, baked beans and the most important food group - alcohol - and now we're just waiting. Yikes.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
DDL -

Rubbermaid

Re lightbulbs In case anyone's interested, I purchased a case of those now next to impossible to find 100-watt bulbs from Amazon uk before I even arrived & had them shipped to the new address.
That reminds me, do the light bulbs in England still have the 'push in and twist' sockets. They scared me because the glass in the bulb could break and then you would have a hand full of blood.

Logically I think they do still have the prong type bulbs instead of the US screw types. I prefer the screw types.

Ad to my list. I like the term biscuits over cookies. I think I have seen them trying to use the cookies name on some biscuit products in some of the UK supermarkets.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:32 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheers
That reminds me, do the light bulbs in England still have the 'push in and twist' sockets. They scared me because the glass in the bulb could break and then you would have a hand full of blood.

Logically I think they do still have the prong type bulbs instead of the US screw types. I prefer the screw types.

Ad to my list. I like the term biscuits over cookies. I think I have seen them trying to use the cookies name on some biscuit products in some of the UK supermarkets.
Both prong type and screw type (different sizes of screw) are available in UK, much to my dismay of always getting the wrong type. Have to carry old bulb to shop now to make sure i get same match

I think biscuits are still called biscuits, (I'm on McVities Choc Digestives now) with cookies being used for more bigger, softer specialty items. Muffins have made their way here too, replacing fairy cakes with the larger version.

Last edited by J.J; Aug 26th 2011 at 8:35 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Both prong type and screw type (different sizes of screw) are available in UK, much to my dismay of always getting the wrong type. Have to carry old bulb to shop now to make sure i get same match

I think biscuits are still called biscuits, (I'm on McVities Choc Digestives now) with cookies being used for more bigger, softer specialty items. Muffins have made their way here too, replacing fairy cakes with the larger version.
I have been made fun of in the US for being from England and eating tea and crumpets. The strange thing is I have never heard of crumpets in England but this maybe because of the part of England that I grew up in.
note:
I just did some research and I know what they are now but I'm sure we called them another name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barm_cake
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:49 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

I have been made fun of in the US for being from England and eating tea and crumpets. The strange thing is I have never heard of crumpets in England but this maybe because of the part of England that I grew up in.
note:
I just did some research and I know what they are now but I'm sure we called them another name?

Pikelets maybe?, that's what we called them in Lincs.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I look at a home for sale on Rightmove and I see one I like but then when I look at the inside pictures I see the bathroom needs updating and also the kitchen and I wonder how much I should allow for that expense?

I realize that it would vary but there should be a ballpark number?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:12 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

The strange thing is I have never heard of crumpets in England but this maybe because of the part of England that I grew up in. note: I just did some research and I know what they are now but I'm sure we called them another name?

I've learned something tonight: I thought everyone in England called them crumpets!

We love toasted crumpets - and only with butter on them, nothing else. Perfection on a plate together with a bracing cuppa.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-c1.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-c2.jpg  

Last edited by DDL; Aug 26th 2011 at 9:17 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

note:

In Yorkshire we called crumpets...piklets. I like mine grilled both sides...topped with White Cheshire Cheese and grilled till the cheese is golden brown.

A barm cake is a bread roll.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

D.K.B.63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
I've learned something tonight: I thought everyone in England called them crumpets!

We love toasted crumpets - and only with butter on them, nothing else. Perfection on a plate together with a bracing cuppa.
Sounds delicious i have one or two please.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Pikelets maybe?, that's what we called them in Lincs.
Yep, in Yorkshire too!

I wish I could still eat things like that without them going straight to my thighs *sigh*
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

about the light bulb thing, I went to B&O a few months ago and I went to the lighting section to buy a small lamp for my bedside table, well if there were a Walmart here I would have just popped in and chose a suitable one and would have been out of there in 10 or 15 minutes, I spent one compleat hour looking at lamps, and after I chose a lamp I then had to go to the separate light bulb isle to try and select a light bulb to fit in the darn thing, this is where it got quite complicated, OMG there are a multitude of different kind of light bulbs here ----- some that screw in like in the states (nice and easy right) and they will fit in just about all lamps in U.S. right,
not so here ---- the lamp I bought dont take the screw in bulb, so then I look at all of the bulbs and then you read the box and it says this bulb will fit but is not safe to use in a lamp that has this or has that ---- way too complicated for me Im afraid, I ended up after one hour and a half in this store just completely bewildered and physically drained that I just put the lamp back on the shelf and just walked out the store and went home, ----- the very next day I am walking up the high street and I walk into one of our many thrift stores and there I find siting on the shelf the most perfect little lamp you ever did see, and I swear I saw it wink at me and say buy me buy me ----- with a bulb already in it ---- and it worked too,
so now all I need to do when it burns out is buy a bulb just like that one and yes they do sell that type still
And yes cheers your right the word cookies are starting to appear on certain types of biscuits over here, ---- since I have been away England has followed America in sooooo many things and especially food products like for instance years ago you would never hear chips being called french fries,

and you would never see so many different american type food products in supermarkets in the U.K. like ----- pre - packaged cole slaw/potato salad/ jars of mayonnaise/tarter sauce/tabasco type hot sauce/relish/hot dogs & buns/peanut butter/rotisserie cooked whole chickens going around before your eyes, tomato sauce is now called ketchup by most people, and BBQ'S, and just too many products to mention, sooo many,
Not quite sure when all this American influence ---- change came about but I bet it was about the time when all the U.S. fast food chains came to the U.K. like Mcdonald's/burger king/KFC/etc etc etc, when was that around the mid 1980's I think.
But unfortunately you still cant go into your local supermarket like morrisons or lidle and pick up your stationary or drugs, no pharmacy inside the store, or a toaster, or kitchen stuff like pots & pans ---- or some shoe polish, ------ but you CAN buy wine and booze in the supermarkets here in U.K. thats progress for ya
Take care pal,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.