Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:01 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My husband just filled his Visa application out online. It cost $1,350 We shall have to starve for the next few weeks.

I know, it's outrageous, isn't it. And there will be more to come once you get here. £50 to take the Life in the UK test, and then at some point before his ILE expires, he'll have to get ILR which will cost at least £972 (current cost, it usually goes up every spring). Then, if he decides to go for UK citizenship, it'll cost £836 plus an extra £80 to cover the ceremony.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
What beautiful photos, looks a really beautiful place, where is it exactly
Denise2
SW15 - just south of the river.......... bordering Wimbledon, Kingston, Richmond, Barnes, Mortlake...

And there's this lovely place too:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...ed=0CBAQ_AUoAQ
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:03 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Elvira
Roehampton is practically Putney...
Love Putney.

And will you be in Hyde Park or RAH? (Proms)
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:05 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wandsworth? Not for from Kew gardens

We were at Kew on Sunday.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Love Putney.

And will you be in Hyde Park or RAH? (Proms)
Unfortunately neither! DH and I will be in Paris. But I am hoping to catch the 2 Beethoven Proms, even if I have to miss the Last Night. (Never could tickets anyway - it's great they're now transmitting it life in Hyde Park and elsewhere around the UK).
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:08 pm
DDL

Having lived in California for the past 10 years, I have come to realise that nothing beats Putney.

Have to agree. That entire area is nice. My stepson lives just off the high street in Mortlake. Some fab places there. Just love it.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

SW15 - just south of the river.......... bordering Wimbledon, Kingston, Richmond, Barnes, Mortlake...

And there's this lovely place too:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...ed=0CBAQ_AUoAQ
Beautiful, when we worked in Worthing , we used to go to managers meetings all over the area managers patch, which was the south/east. On of the restaurants/pubs was in Thames Ditton, right on the Thames, it was the most beautiful area, I remember there was a little island just facing the Pub and there were houses on this little island, I promise you if I ever won the Lottery I would want to live there, it looked really georgous, just my scene if I had the ware with all to realise living a life like that, to me it was a little bit of old England, that has remained unchanged (I hope)
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:12 pm
DDL

Unfortunately neither! DH and I will be in Paris. But I am hoping to catch the 2 Beethoven Proms, even if I have to miss the Last Night. (Never could tickets anyway - it's great they're now transmitting it life in Hyde Park and elsewhere around the UK).

Hope you can make one or both then.

We did Last Night Hyde Park once - one of the greatest experiences of my life. Me - the American - singing 'Jerusalem', waving my little Union Flag, lump in throat.

I'm going to try and talk hubby into us going this year (it's wedged between both of our September birthdays). I have a cunning plan.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

We did Last Night Hyde Park once - one of the greatest experiences of my life. Me - the American - singing 'Jerusalem', waving my little Union Flag, lump in throat.
Hey, the US Homeland Security will want to talk to you.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 27th 2011 at 1:40 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DDL

I'm going to try and talk hubby into us going this year (it's wedged between both of our September birthdays). I have a cunning plan.
I would so love to do that.
I don't know if you have ever heard of "Minack Theatre" in Cornwall. It is a outside theatre created in the side of a cliff with the seats set in arena style ( all carved out of the cliff ) with the sea as a backdrop. An amazingly stunning place, anyway they do productions right through the Summer, come rain or shine ( just take a mac ! ) people bring wine and wine glasses, beer, picnics etc. such fun. At the end of each season they do their own version of Last night, I have never managed to be in Cornwall at that ime but I will definately be going next year. I planned on going this year because we will have been home 2 weeks by then but we have had the offer of attending a scooter rally with no2 son and 1 year old grand daughter, and as much as I want to go Last Night their is of course no contest !
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

That song puts a lump in my throat and I'm Welsh So does Ar hyd y nos and God Save the Queen and The Welsh national anthem I'm a total wuss. and cry baby.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by judes
Up date everyone

finally the house is ours and it took my son half a day to completely destroy it! he always was good at making a mess of something in a short time. Its going to be lovely once he's worked his majic . Its in a small Cornish town called Camborne, which can be best described as central to better places !! But we could afford it and it's near the kids and once you shut your front door who cares ? No one can call me fussy . We've already been invited on a weekend at Ilfracombe, a scooter rally, and we get to go coz son wants a baby sitter for our adorable grand daughter. Chris is a scooter enthusiast, it will be interesting to see this side of him, a side which didnt exist when we left 11 years ago. This is what I've missed, family time, something you cant replicate. I just know Im going to be so content. Its interesting to hear our other son, Rob, perspective on the house, he saw it for the 1st time last week, and agrees it nice, but he wants glass door gone, Chris says keep it, Rob says kitchen is OK, Chris says nope, you need a new one, and us, well well we just sit back and let em do what they think best, sure it will be lovely. We completed the paperwork for the shipping company today, also sent a load of money over to cover what Chris is spending,made some headway into the quarantine / flying over of the dog and started the process for getting our SS paid into a UK bank. So we are slowly slowly reaching our goal. the only advice I can give anyone going through this whole process is to take little bites at your goal, just little bites, dont panic, just keeping ticking off that check list and eventually you will see light, and what a lovely light it is. for all you kind people who have answered queries, I apologise if I didnt reply, despite my advice I have got overwhelmed, but this is a marvelous site, I only have to wonder waht to do next, post it here and very soon someone ( or two or three ) answers me, I thank you all

Further update
Getting perilously near our flying date ( Sept 9th) and the stress levels are through the roof. Yelled at DH in the pub today, but he did ask for it !! My Mum is driving me bonkers, she is an American citizen aged 84 years and is reluctantly returning with us, we himmed and hahhed whether she she should fly back on her Anerican passport or renew her British passport, with the way passports are going we ( or she ) decided to go on her American passport as the advice we have got says she hasnt lost her British nationality and she won't be deported, ( the way I feel at the moment that would be a godsend ) she is suddenly saying she wishes she had renewed her British passport and is worried , the implication being it is all my fault ! grrr ! The house is coming on brilliantly, we get many updated pics and it started off looking like a bomb site but we are beginning to see progress, the 2 sky lights were put in today. Not sure how many more pics we will get as #2 son sat on the camera and it's dead ! I have started cancelling gas, electric etc and actually cancelled the phone twice, whoopsie ! We have sold the bed and thats gone, so we are sleeping on the sofa but that is going this weekend, along with the washer drier , so guess my stress levels will soar once more. does anyone else find that there mood can change from 1 hour to the next? I am so excited to be going home, but also sad, and I am so freaking tired its unreal. Does this sound like a lot of a whinging ? Sorry, I will be positive in the morning, promise

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 27th 2011 at 1:41 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Your Mum can carry her expired UK passport with her and use that to enter according to some who have done that. It may make her feel better entering on her UK passport.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Your Mum can carry her expired UK passport with her and use that to enter according to some who have done that. It may make her feel better entering on her UK passport.
really, it's very expired ?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL.....I keep telling myself 'one day at a time'. When I moan my niece in the UK tells me to stop it as this is what I have wanted for years. I wish you could have heard OH when he had finished filling in the Visa form and it came time to pay. He almost had a fit. I cannot repeat his wordsHe had to call the bank up to release more money as we have a lock on how much can be taken out at one time.

I have my daughter coming this weekend to pick up the sofa and daybed and many other things she decided she wanted. But she is bringing her bed to us so we can give it to the Salvation Army. My son is also coming to pickup the generator and ladder.

Now if you have been watching the news we have a hurricane heading this way. How many times did I tell you all that was what we needed to hit the house and then we would have no worries about being able to sell it. Guess when its suppose to arrive Monday night into TUESDAY...Contract day. Today there was an Earthquake along the NE coast although I did not feel it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.