Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
erhum. Rodney glad it is over with the op.

trotty gets the water for the facets etc. from the well. The days are gone when you took the bucket to the well and dropped the rope down.
cheers! this made me smile, thank you.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, glad everything went well with the op?
TT that house in Rye, sounds wonderful...........maybe you will want to stay there!? Happy everything went well in the end with the radon and water.

I had a wonderful night with friends last night, 9 of us food cake drinks and a lovely night, lots of laughs and tears...
I am slowly getting my act together, crossing things of the list, my Doc office it putting all my records on a CD for $15, updated my SS records, informed the car ins. asked them for a letter to say what a wonderful driver I am...just slowly chipping away at things, now if only I could get packing done.......its very painful to do in front of the family.
Had a major hic cup with my divorce and that was a huge dip in the roller coaster, turns out it was a mistake but for a whole day and night I was frozen to one spot, they sent us a date to appear and it was 2 days after I leave here but it was all sent in error.

I want to thank everyone for the kind words of encouragement and thoughts.
My mum is 89, she needs me to be with her, I want to be with her, and time will tell if I can stay away or not.
I have had some very emotional days with my girls lately, my son does not say much......but they say it how it is ( in their eyes anyway, Mum is ditching us)
So 3 weeks today I will be waking at home.......
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow charleygirl, I think you're very brave. You've talked about your family but I didn't realize you were also leaving so many friends behind. That must make this such a wrench. I wish you nothing but good luck.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya...I asked OH yesterday and he said he had always promised he would take me home and he is happy to do it. I think with all the tension slowly leaving us we are starting to relax again. Not through it yet but we are getting there.

aries....Yes that's the picture I had in my head, me with the water in two buckets dragging them up from the well. All I needed was a cow and a couple of goats to complete the picture maybe some chickens.

I took a shower this morning

Friends leaving behind....I tried to think and there are none. Those friend I had are or will be back in the UK. I think thats very sad. I do have what's called passing acquaintences but not real friends.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Beedubya...I asked OH yesterday and he said he had always promised he would take me home and he is happy to do it. I think with all the tension slowly leaving us we are starting to relax again. Not through it yet but we are getting there.

aries....Yes that's the picture I had in my head, me with the water in two buckets dragging them up from the well. All I needed was a cow and a couple of goats to complete the picture maybe some chickens.

I took a shower this morning

Friends leaving behind....I tried to think and there are none. Those friend I had are or will be back in the UK. I think thats very sad. I do have what's called passing acquaintences but not real friends.
Trotty you see its just that Ive never actually seen a real life well, Ive seen them in pictures and in old John Wayne western movies, so I am really soooo relieved that you dont have to fetch the water at the bottom of the garden carrying the buckets over your shoulders, you know the type the women use in India, a big long pole with a big bucket on each end balancing over your shoulders,
I still dont see how you can get water from a well coming through your faucets in the house, I mean a well is a big hole in the ground isn't it,
how come in these modern times you dont get your water from a reservoir like most people? Hmmmmm
Anyway trotty I am sooooo happy for you both, your almost there now, your dream is getting real close now, good for you,

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 7th 2011 at 6:23 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm glad your Op went well, you'll be running about as normal in no time.
Here the well isn't like an open bucket well, its a small tank looking thing on the ground, it looks like a propane tank for a barbecue, for some reason they all seem to be blue around here, they are connected to the electricity, and the water is pumped up and piped to the house to come out the taps just like if you lived in town, some people put a shed over the well pump (blue tank) and use it for storage and call it the pump house.
Whats funny it's untreated ground water that comes out the taps, that why it can have bacteria in it.
The city water they go to great pains to treat it and ours can smell like bleach and looks blue in the bathtub quite often. Yet millions of people drink untreated water. Some of our friends tasted so bad from the well they put in a reverse osmosis water treatment system and now it tastes great.
Ahhhh now that makes a lot more sense ------ still never seen one like that either, I suppose its cause Ive never lived in the country, Ive always lived either by the sea or mostly for the last 3 decades in the desert
never would have thought of a pump pumping the water out of the ground by electricity, what a unique idea, but I still dont like the Idea of using water to bathe with coming from a well, especially since trotty told us of all those tests of roden and bacteria, not for me thank you, and it cant be safe to drink it surely.
Anyway M.I.T.F. thanks for explaining it to me, they say you learn something every day,
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
you dont have to fetch the water at the bottom of the garden carrying the buckets over your shoulders, you know the type the women use in India, a big long pole with a big bucket on each end balancing over your shoulders,
Aye, how about her carrying the water in a big container on the top of her head like they do in Africa?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E5SClgVsz6...ying+water.jpg
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney I was waiting for a report on your bus trip to the beach the other day?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ahhhh now that makes a lot more sense ------ still never seen one like that either, I suppose its cause Ive never lived in the country, Ive always lived either by the sea or mostly for the last 3 decades in the desert
never would have thought of a pump pumping the water out of the ground by electricity, what a unique idea, but I still dont like the Idea of using water to bathe with coming from a well, especially since trotty told us of all those tests of roden and bacteria, not for me thank you, and it cant be safe to drink it surely.
Anyway M.I.T.F. thanks for explaining it to me, they say you learn something every day,
I've been on well water for the last 20 years, we pump it up using a 24v solar pump, in fact the whole place is on solar, we haven't had a bill in years !

And it's the best tasting water I have ever had

You city slickers don't know what you are missing
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

coastieexpat...Yes I agree well water is the best. If its tested and free of all nasty things, it tastes much better that town water, all those additives they put in it. Poor Rodney doesnt know any better. Well water is the purest. I wonder where Rodneys water comes from. http://www.water-pollution.org.uk/ Just for you Rodney.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rod, Im glad you are well...

Speaking of well, my sister has a well, it has a pump that brings the water up a pipe, it then goes to the house and becomes your running water, this is how country folk live, when the well runs dry she has to pay someone thousands to drill for more water...
Thanks fish,
Well all I can say is I knew there was a reason I never lived in a rural part of America just didn't know what it was ---- but now I do, plain old running water ----- thats one of the good things about living in England its such a tiny little country that it dont matter where you live, country or by the sea, you will always have regular safe water (not pumped in from a hole in the ground from your back yard, and you can actually drink the water straight from the tap too, I could never do that in Vegas,
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Glad you're feeling OK Rodney!

How was the hospital?
OK I was waiting for someone to ask me about the hospital, OMG you would never believe in fact nobody living in U.S. would believe what I am going to tell you now, ------ you start out just like normal you know ---- your in a room with your hospital gown on laying on the bed, a nurse comes in takes my pulse, blood pressure etc, runs through everything in detail with me, told me exactly whats going to happen before and after operation,
Then a few minutes pass I get another visit from the head surgical nurse, she explains a bit more and asked if I had any questions, then the Anesthesiologist comes in introduces himself and goes through the explanation of the injection procedure to knock me out etc,
Then lastly the Surgeon came in with his black marker in hand and marked two arrows on my skin pointing to the right side hernia area, ---- this way they dont make any mistakes and do the wrong area, then he said it will be about an hour before I go into the theater cause he had one patient before me, ----- so later the head surgical nurse takes me to the operating theater and the doors open and --------- this is it!!!! WOW it was as though I was in a dream, I looked around and there were so many people in there, I counted 6 nurses all dressed in crisp clean white and blue dress uniforms, they were all looking at me and smiling like angels and the anesthesiologist was there by my side and he smiled and said something like yes we do have a lot of women here dont we, I looked around and noticed that this was a very big theater and extremely light/bright, ------ so the nurse puts this drip set up on my left hand ----- and then the anesthesiologist put his needle in back of right hand ----- then I sore him inject the fluid and it really burned too but that was it a second or two and lights out for me
The experience was for me a really nice one, they all made me feel very confident in putting my life in there hands, all the hospital staff were fantastic,
and So I finally wake up in the recovery room operation over, and as I opened up my eyes I have this extremely beautiful young lady nurse looking down at me ------ now at this point I really thought I may have died and gone to heaven
Take care Sally,
Rodney.
PS I bet you wish now that you never asked me how the hospital was
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Aye, how about her carrying the water in a big container on the top of her head like they do in Africa?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E5SClgVsz6...ying+water.jpg
Yes cheers I forgot about those women, I often wondered if they got many head aches balancing those big jugs on there head,
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure I had the experience in England of finding a pump where you could get water from the well by pushing the handle up and down.

On your hospital. I was thinking on my next trip I'll have to go to Bournemouth and tell them I have a hernia just in case I have one.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasper123...Loved your explanation of the process you went through in hospital sounded really good. Did you ask that pretty nurse for a date

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.