Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Well folks, tomorrow is the day I head back to the US..I am excited and scared at the same time. I think Rodney maybe right about the sun..I do miss the weather there. I know the sun gives you the vitamin D that you need that makes you happier, and I think I have been missing that too.
I hope I am making the right decision, but there is no turning back now, and I have to make it work for me over there again.
I will be keeping in touch and letting you know how it goes. I thank all of you for your wonderful support in this, I know its not really what the thread is about, but I consider you all friends and felt I needed to tell you the truth.
I hope everything works out for everyone here, in their dreams of moving back to the UK. As I have said before, I am an exception and not the norm....
Jackie.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Can any of you good guys help me, we are returning to UK in 7 weeks ( cant wait, cant wait !) We have small American pensions, what is the best way for us to access this money in the UK.? At the moment we are getting paid by check, but the pressure is on for us to be paid electronically, can it be paid into our English bank account ? I could go to the SS office and will probably have to eventaully, but the lines are interminable and as for phoning for an appointment, well forget that, unless you have a morning to spare being on hold .
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Can any of you good guys help me, we are returning to UK in 7 weeks ( cant wait, cant wait !) We have small American pensions, what is the best way for us to access this money in the UK.? At the moment we are getting paid by check, but the pressure is on for us to be paid electronically, can it be paid into our English bank account ? I could go to the SS office and will probably have to eventaully, but the lines are interminable and as for phoning for an appointment, well forget that, unless you have a morning to spare being on hold .
Rodney AKA Jasper can answer that best for you..he has his US pension here in the UK..
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

JJ, thank you for the wonderful update in back home thread!
So nice to see you, I have been thinking about you and wondering how it was going, so thank you...........

Jackie, have a wonderful trip back and I really hope everything works out for you. And dont disappear, let us know how it goes

With regard to the weather in the UK, i did find myself saying yesterday one thing I will never complain about it the weather there, after another hot humid day i cant stand it anymore and then the winters just kill me..............I am sure I wont ever complain about the rain in the UK, but then give me 6 months of it and who knows

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I was just thinking that Rodney catching up on the posts, how Trotty was ALMOST on the point of giving up after SOOOO many house viewings and SOOO many disappointments, but the British Bulldog spirit shone through and she persevered and look what happened.

Well done Trotty True and Mr True (is he OK with this big move?) any thoughts of just where you will end up? North or South?

And well done on the QE2 too, what a way to come home, just imagine SAILING into England on a big cruise ship (instead of crammed into a plane).............sigh...........sounds like heaven to me.

Now the big countdown begins.
Hey Barb ----- I really like that ----- the British Bulldog Spirit
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Rodney AKA Jasper can answer that best for you..he has his US pension here in the UK..
Oh thanks for answering, everything seems so stressful today somehow, everything I need lined up isnt lining up. We are waiting to sign on a house in UK, so cant book flights until we sign, which means we also cant sort out final details of our dogs quarantine, or the overseas shipping. We sold the very very old car last night for the grand sum of $75 but couldnt find the necssary paperwork so replacement papers cost $35, bummer ! Our house sold in 12 days which was amazing, and we have been gradually selling off our stuff, so living in a half empty house which we move out of on the 6th Sept, the plan is to go straight to the airport from the house. Yeah, crazy, I know, but I got to be home, just got to be.

So come on Jasper, I need help here !! At least let me sort out the pensions somewhat today

Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

I think I heard you and another discuss once on here about taking a certain vitamin??
Yes, that's a good point. I was having unexplained pains for a long time and the cure finally turned out to be Vitamin D. I stay out of the sun because I had a melanoma scare years ago, so I had become deficient. England's climate is such that most people don't get enough Vitamin D naturally (we process it from the sun) so I would recommend taking 600mg to 1,000mg per day to see if it helps. Many people here take it through the winter to help with SAD.

The surprise to me was that in addition to the pains disappearing, so did the migraine headaches I've had since I was a teenager. I also have a lot more energy now. Vitamin D is also good for lowering blood pressure and for strengthening bones.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I take Calcium with Vitamin D daily - you get Vitamin D from the sunlight, and the two elements work together: Ca + D. Also when we get older (our bodies if not our minds!) we need Magnesium as well as other vitamins and minerals which are often missing or in inadequate quantities in our daily diets. So I am now on my vitamin and mineral daily regime, especially as I am now living amongst those who provide me with a great example of what NOT to do as you get older - osteoporosis, diabetes, TV dinners, missing teeth - the list is long.
Rosie,
I was just thinking about that recently that I need to take a high dose of Vitamin D, to replace the natural Sun that I am getting very little of these days, ---- tell me do you take the calcium and vitamin D separately or are they both together in one tablet? and also what strengh do I need in both the Calcium and vitamin D,
All I take now are (pure cod liver oil tablets) my Mum swears by them,
Rodney.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well folks, tomorrow is the day I head back to the US..I am excited and scared at the same time. I think Rodney maybe right about the sun..I do miss the weather there. I know the sun gives you the vitamin D that you need that makes you happier, and I think I have been missing that too.
I hope I am making the right decision, but there is no turning back now, and I have to make it work for me over there again.
I will be keeping in touch and letting you know how it goes. I thank all of you for your wonderful support in this, I know its not really what the thread is about, but I consider you all friends and felt I needed to tell you the truth.
I hope everything works out for everyone here, in their dreams of moving back to the UK. As I have said before, I am an exception and not the norm....
Jackie.
Good luck Jackie!
It was great that you told us the truth, and very helpful to everyone I think.

Caused a lot of thought about how to understand one's own emotions (or try to!) and discussion about what one's reasons for moving back might be.

Keep in touch...and enjoy that sunshine!

Tina
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jackie.
Oh Jackie, have a lovely flight back to Vegas, are you going on Virgin? I have flown with Virgin for years cause I love there non stop service from Vegas to Gatwick and back, and the food I have found is always very good even now, and when I came over here almost 8 months ago the free Booze was still flowing generously

Jackie you say that you know that this is not what this thread is about, (BUT) your wrong you know cause your story and Barbs story are exactly what this thread is about, everyone on here ---- especially the people that are not in the U.K. yet need to know (ALL) the stories ---- from the people who come home and stay and are happy, to the people that for reasons of there own cannot make it work for them, and so return,

Its strange Jackie but I feel SAD that your going back, maybe its cause we are both from the same place over there, and also maybe deep down Im missing Vegas more then I think I was

I have to take Barbs advice now and fight this feeling Im getting lately and get rid of this mood Im in

Jackie the very best of luck to you with your life in Las Vegas, are you taking the same lap top back with you? and did you buy that here or did you bring it with you from Vegas?
Take good care of yourself and keep posting please
Rodney.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:31 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Jackie.
Best Wishes Jackie, I'm sure you gave it your best shot and good for you for being brave and trying it, and brave enough to u-turn when it didn't work out.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by judes
Hey Jude, sorry couldn't resist that you know Paul McCartney
Now all I can say is just call the S.S. number and get your social security benefit switched from a check to direct debit into your British Bank account if you have one, for that though you will have to make an appointment with them I think,
But if you dont have a British bank account yet ---- at least call S.S. and get your benefits paid into your American bank account, thats good for now, and you can always change it later to be paid into a U.K. bank,
As far as I know you can just call the main S.S. phone number and once you get through to a live human you can easily make arrangements for direct deposit payments into your U.S. bank account, they just ask you your routing number and checking account# and they do it quickly over the phone,
But whatever you do at least get yourself off that check payment thing, thats from the dark ages checks can get lost in the mail,

I still have my S.S. paid into my American bank account and I access my funds from an ATM machine here in U.K. ----- if you open a (Bank of America) account in U.S and get your S.S. deposited in to your checking account you will be able to access your funds from Barclays atm machines in your U.K. town where you will be living, or anywhere in U.K. and as Barclays and B OF A are linked there are no bank charges from either bank on CASH withdraws from an atm machine, the (ONLY) charge you will get is from your BofA account and that is a small 1% conversion fee, and daily maximum withdraw amounts at Barclays is £300

Just go into any BofA bank and they will give you all the details on this.
Hope this helps.
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 20th 2011 at 2:51 pm. Reason: add more words
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh Jackie, have a lovely flight back to Vegas, are you going on Virgin? I have flown with Virgin for years cause I love there non stop service from Vegas to Gatwick and back, and the food I have found is always very good even now, and when I came over here almost 8 months ago the free Booze was still flowing generously

Jackie you say that you know that this is not what this thread is about, (BUT) your wrong you know cause your story and Barbs story are exactly what this thread is about, everyone on here ---- especially the people that are not in the U.K. yet need to know (ALL) the stories ---- from the people who come home and stay and are happy, to the people that for reasons of there own cannot make it work for them, and so return,

Its strange Jackie but I feel SAD that your going back, maybe its cause we are both from the same place over there, and also maybe deep down Im missing Vegas more then I think I was

I have to take Barbs advice now and fight this feeling Im getting lately and get rid of this mood Im in

Jackie the very best of luck to you with your life in Las Vegas, are you taking the same lap top back with you? and did you buy that here or did you bring it with you from Vegas?
Take good care of yourself and keep posting please
Rodney.
Thank you Rodney,
Yes, I am flying back on Virgin, I much prefer them to BA, and since april they have been flying direct to Vegas from Manchester too, so that is closer to me . I know exactly the feeling you and Barb have been having, and you are very brave and stong to be able to fight them..I am weak and cant fight those feelings any longer..
I will be taking my laptop with me, I brought it here from the US, and I will keep in touch. Good luck Rodney, you are strong, and where you want to be deep inside. I think that is the difference..I Dont think this is where I want to be deep inside..
Jackie.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Rosie,
I was just thinking about that recently that I need to take a high dose of Vitamin D, to replace the natural Sun that I am getting very little of these days, ---- tell me do you take the calcium and vitamin D separately or are they both together in one tablet? and also what strengh do I need in both the Calcium and vitamin D,
All I take now are (pure cod liver oil tablets) my Mum swears by them,
Rodney.
Rodney - the vitamins I take are together in one pill: Vitamin D 5IU + Calcium 1000mg. As for how much is in an IU (international unit) - someone else will have to answer that for you. The Vitamin D is 100% of the daily needs, and the Calcium is 125% of daily needs - perhaps you excrete a percentage hence one being higher than the other? Any nutritionists on here to answer these thoughts?
You can ask the pharmacist at Boots - they seem very knowledgeable.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie.
Wishing you a very safe trip and the best of everything, Jackie! I'm sure you will feel at home again once your feet touch the ground!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.