Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Boodles
Trotty, my advice would be to start getting all your paperwork together now for the visa application. It really is a pain in the tushee, but a relief when accomplished. We will be submitting our application in a week or so, keep you fingers crossed for me if you can spare them, you can uncross them if you need them to sign the final closing papers on you house

What is Dandelion and Burdock?
I saw something on the news last week about England changing its quarantine laws..making it much easier to bring pets into the country...
Wasnt really paying much attention, but thought I would mention it..
Jackie.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I saw something on the news last week about England changing its quarantine laws..making it much easier to bring pets into the country...
Wasnt really paying much attention, but thought I would mention it..
Jackie.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723046
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

OK smarty pants..
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty thanks for that info on the signing of the papers thats great, Wow I have never been a home owner so I am amazed at the 10 day of inspections you have to go through over there, I wonder if the U.K. has simular inspections on there houses before they are sold?
Anyway I think we are all following your winding road home, I for one have been for quite a while now
Take care and so thats two things at least that you have said in the last week that I have liked, the drinking of the wine and celebrating, your saying (three sheets to the wind) lovely I havent heard that one since I was a nipper, and also this (Dandelion and Burdock drink) never heard that one before, but I just asked mum and she has heard of it
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OMG that is awesome, wow, I am speechless, thank god...........I have to leave my dog behind because he is 13 and a half and would eat any other dog, cat, rabbit, pet rat or spider that he gets close too, loves people though hahaha.........we love him dearly though! He has bad hips and I could not put him through a flight, he is a family pet and I know he will be well taken care of, but this is great news just to know if anything did happen next year and the family had to come home in a hurry he could come.
Thanks for that jackie and barb.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
between two worlds...I have a thing about doggy smells and so am extra careful I dont leave things around that let buyers know we have a dog so I clear them all out and make sure to hide the dog food and the rest. I keep poor Gabby really clean she has a bath once every few weeks. I also do a quick spray over the carpets and the sofa she likes to sit on. I have a blanket that sits on the back of the sofa and I just take it off and wash it. The day before we have a showing I wipe everything possible down with lysol wipes and polish all the furniture. I walk out of the house and then 5 minutes later walk back in. Just to make sure I cannot smell anything. Candles are fine but I think they just mask smells.

We had another showing yesterday evening and they want to come back and take another look tomorrow. I am not holding my breath but who knows:fingerscross ed:
good luck with the house, hope all goes well it is so frustrating having people trample through your home, and having to make sure everything is just so, it is like living on a knife edge all the time, so I really hope you get is sold and all goes well
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
:drink wine:

Can you guess.....we have had an offer on the housewe sign the contract tomorrow. Someone did the math and decided they could afford it we had to take a little less but I am at the point were I just want to get out. We now have to look for a rental for 6 months till Gabby is ready but it will be heaven to relax and just enjoy the time with my daughter. Just got to pass the inspection
That is fantastic news, I am sorry TT I am just catching up on all the news, crack a bottle of champagne and relax now, you certainly deserve it. Can I just mention all medication is now free to UK residents, which should be a great help and saving to you, I think the fact your american husband is married to an english person will allow him to get his medication until all his papers are through, good luck in your new life and may everything work out well for you both Denise2
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charleygirl
OMG that is awesome, wow, I am speechless, thank god...........I have to leave my dog behind because he is 13 and a half and would eat any other dog, cat, rabbit, pet rat or spider that he gets close too, loves people though hahaha.........we love him dearly though! He has bad hips and I could not put him through a flight, he is a family pet and I know he will be well taken care of, but this is great news just to know if anything did happen next year and the family had to come home in a hurry he could come.
Thanks for that jackie and barb.
Charley girl, just catching up on things, hope all is well with you and your return journey is a success. I know you will worry about the kids, but I am sure they will come round and want to visit you in England. I bet they will look at it as a second home through time, so stop worrying, GW things will work out for the best for you all Denise 2
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OK smarty pants..

I see that link all the time when I sign in but have never read it.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
(Dandelion and Burdock drink) never heard that one before, but I just asked mum and she has heard of it
Oh Rodney you've got to be kidding, its My favorite flavor pop, it sounds weird but its not, it tastes great.

My parents used to own Spar shops in the UK, we sold Barrs pop, Dandelion and Burdock was always a very big seller right behind Lemonade, then along came Pepsi and Coca Cola and it got squeezed out a bit, of course they had big pockets and bought shelf space in the big supermarkets.

D&B is still availabe in shops all over, even in chippys, I hope you buy some and give it a whirl... Infact I bought some last week in my British store here...

So you probably have never heard of Tizer either, another good drink, and Yes I buy that here too...

I was hoping Sodastream would supply D&B flavor here but so far no luck... Sodastream has just made it to America, it was big on the days of the coal miners stike, the kids called it strike pop back then...
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh Rodney you've got to be kidding, its My favorite flavor pop, it sounds weird but its not, it tastes great.

My parents used to own Spar shops in the UK, we sold Barrs pop, Dandelion and Burdock was always a very big seller right behind Lemonade, then along came Pepsi and Coca Cola and it got squeezed out a bit, of course they had big pockets and bought shelf space in the big supermarkets.

D&B is still availabe in shops all over, even in chippys, I hope you buy some and give it a whirl... Infact I bought some last week in my British store here...

So you probably have never heard of Tizer either, another good drink, and Yes I buy that here too...

I was hoping Sodastream would supply D&B flavor here but so far no luck... Sodastream has just made it to America, it was big on the days of the coal miners stike, the kids called it strike pop back then...
No Fish never heard of any of this stuff, are you sure its not just a thing from up north of England?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
No Fish never heard of any of this stuff, are you sure its not just a thing from up north of England?
Im not sure, you could be right, I think its a just a Barrs Product, where as Dandelion and Burdock is made and sold by Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco etc...
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the animals If I read it right I think its just for the UK and Europe not the US.

D & B it could be a Northern thing but you could always look. I seem to remember when we were down south I could not find it. You are missing a great taste Rodney.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty, I think it means all countries except those named that will need 3 months.

"All pets will still need to be vaccinated against rabies. Animals from the EU and many non-EU countries, such as the U.S. and Australia, will no longer need a blood test and will only have to wait 21 days before they travel.
Those from unlisted non-EU countries, such as India, Brazil and South Africa, will be able to enter the UK if they meet strict criteria to ensure they are protected against rabies, including a blood test and a three-month wait.
"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1SPZW2HmJ
"
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:52 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Hello to all my 'forum friends'. I haven't been online for a while for various reasons, mainly I just didn't think I would get the opportunity to return 'home'. We have been back for a couple of holidays in the past two years and prior to that we did regular trips. I was always 'homesick' when I left to fly back to Aust.

My husband retired recently and we began to look at our future plans. Our children and four little grandchildren all live near to us in Canberra. However, with the rise of the AUD against the GBP and a falling house market, the time seems better to return home than ever. This is the plan and the big decision: we have put an offer on a house in Norfolk and it has been accepted. We have discussed the move with our daughter (36) and her husband, they are supportive and feel the grandchildren (3,4) would enjoy the excitement of the visits. Our son (39) and his children (1,5) would not be too perturbed as the other grandparents spend quite a lot of time overseas.

We would rent our house out here for three - five years rather than sell and lose money if we wanted to return.

The dilemma is now that it all seems possible anxiety has set in regarding my daughter and her little family. Given my husband says he is doing this for me it now seems a huge responsibility. I never thought I would ever feel so torn, I know you have been through this Beedubya.

My husband has just had his 60th birthday and I will join this select club in a week so this also seems like a good time in our lives. We could rent in the UK but we feel this is a good opportunity (albeit, with some risk).

So now dear friends, I know some of you have been in this place, I would like to draw on your wisdom and experiences.

It was great to read your updates B and TT - you made it!

Finally, thank you to lovely Quoll who just seems to see things from my side of the prism, it's nice to be understood. That is the lovely thing about this forum just lots of advice without judgement.

I hope you all have something to look forward to this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.