Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by JacquelineScrocca
Found this board today and was so happy to read all of the comments. Made me feel quite at home, even though I have been in the USA for well over twenty years. Really trying to decide if I should go back to my roots, and the decision is tough since all of my children are here, but my Mum is in the UK and I miss her terribly.
Welcome Jacqueline. I have been in the USA for almost 39 years and am trying to get it all together to return to Northern Ireland before the end of this year. I have a house to sell and a divorce to accomplish........a bit overwhelming I would say. I live in Texas and my two children live in NYC so i don't see so much of them anyway. Good Luck with your plans.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Welcome Jacqueline. I have been in the USA for almost 39 years and am trying to get it all together to return to Northern Ireland before the end of this year. I have a house to sell and a divorce to accomplish........a bit overwhelming I would say. I live in Texas and my two children live in NYC so i don't see so much of them anyway. Good Luck with your plans.
Great to see you here again, Celtic, and to hear your more definite plans and goals--return by the end of the year! Good luck with it all...it certainly must feel overwhelming. But we have seen by the inspiring examples of others that it can be done...with a little luck as well (buyer for the house etc).
Here's hoping all goes as smoothly as possible for you!

Tina
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Welcome Jacqueline,
This is the greatest place to be if you are undecided about coming back to the UK. I have lived in the US for most of my life, and recently came back to the UK. It hasnt worked out for me, and I am going home to the US next week, but not because I dont like England, my parents are here, but because after all of my life in the US I have come to realize I am more American than English now, and I had a difficult time adapting. This is not the norm, as our Lovely Rodney has proven..he to lived in the US almost as long as me, and recently returned, and is loveing life. My point here is this, these wonderful people dont judge you, but help guide and support you, and although I am not staying, I feel as welcome here as I did prior to my move. We are all different, and thats what makes this thread so wonderful..
Another Jackie..

Don't forget to post your flight details on the flight tracker y'all.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jacquiline, welcome! As someone planning on returning to my aging mum and the things I have yearned for for 14 years I know how you feel, I leaving here my 3 children, got a divorce going through, I have some good days and some bad.
Tina what you said is oh so true, it has to be more than just a parent that brings you home, I have missed so much for so long, I am always so happy to be home, alive......here a huge void in my life somehow.
Celtic so happy you have some firm plans now, good luck.

Hey Fish, how are you, miss you!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Oh god yes I am going through hell today, I took the day off to get some serious sorting done, and yes guess what, been in a daze the whole day. Worrying about my children............ will they hate me?, you know, that kind of thing.
I keep getting the "why do you care what time I will be home you are leaving anyway!"
Hang in there Denise, I know its hard not to let it get you down but you WILL get sorted. Please don't beat yourself up over the kids (I know, easier said than done) but just because you'll be across the pond doesn't mean you don't love them and in time they should realize that. You've loved them and raised them right, that's worth a lot!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

JacquelineScrocca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Jacqueline, there are many people in your very situation some post here, its a case of some deep soul searching on your part, why dont you post more details about your situation, ages of Children and Mum also health conditions etc, maybe over time you will come to a decesion you can live with.
Are you a US citizen?
Where in the UK are you from?
Again welcome... Fish
Thank you for the welcome...for all of your welcomes! it was wonderful to look at the board this morning and see so many not only friendly, but also insightful responses.

I believe that I have have a lot of thinking to do, and since I have not been back to my hometown in Blackburn Lancashire for several years, I feel that I really should visit for a while before making the huge decision. But how I miss the fish and chips, and Yorkshire ducks...and just walking to the shops for groceries instead of not being able to go anywhere without a car.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Found this board today and was so happy to read all of the comments. Made me feel quite at home, even though I have been in the USA for well over twenty years. Really trying to decide if I should go back to my roots, and the decision is tough since all of my children are here, but my Mum is in the UK and I miss her terribly.
A big Welcome to you jacqueline, we are a nice bunch of people and so any info or advice you need or just some re-assurance Im sure there will be someone on here that will like to help you, there are many people on here that are in a simular situation as yourself --- in that they have kids in there adopted country and also family in U.K. and so it becomes a tug of war and your heart is split between two countries and two worlds,
I left U.S. 7,1/2 months ago to come home to my Mum whos 92, I lived in U.S. for 36 years, now I know Im where I need to be at my retired stage in my life, Im very happy here
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
It does sound overwhelming. LOL I guess I have a little of a head start since I lost my house to a foreclosure due to a lay-off and was divorced about ten years ago. The hardest part is my children (I have four of them) and they all still live within thirty minutes of my little rental house. Good luck with the things that you have to accomplish. I feel certain that if you know what you want to do, that things will fall into place for you.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
anishq...You sound quite lost but there are so many of us on here in just the same position as you. Getting your house sold will be your first hurdle I dont know how far along you are with that. It can be soul destroying. Once you get it sold you will feel a great relief. Get on the internet and do some research on where you might want to live. Then look around for estate agents and see how much houses cost as you are on your own you could find a good Bed and Breakfast and take buses to areas you are thinking of moving to. I have family in the Uk but If we ever get this house sold I will not be living with any of them not because I dont like them but I just think we will do better on our own. We will find somewhere to rent. Its all very scary but better to try than to just think about it. I wish you luck and plenty of energy because you are going to need it.

Rodney....Fancy you remembering me squeezing in beside you on that plane

High Tide....I bet your house looks lovely I cant believe how settled you sound. Must be very tired when you turn in at night but I bet its a nice tired. Anything you miss from Canada.

Charleygirl...If they miss you they can join you stop worrying you have tried everything.

Update on the thumb its doing fine. It did get big and have a large lump but its gone down and back to normal. I wastnt sure what hurt most the next morning my thumb or my head. I was back out in the garden today and made sure to wear my thick garden gloves.
Have two Owls visiting in the garden..wonder if thats lucky

Beedubya..You noticed that to. It feels nice to pop in here again and visit. Just like old times
trotty I would definitely say the two owls are a lucky sign for you, I would love owls in our garden so cute too,
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jasper123
A big Welcome to you jacqueline, we are a nice bunch of people and so any info or advice you need or just some re-assurance Im sure there will be someone on here that will like to help you, there are many people on here that are in a simular situation as yourself --- in that they have kids in there adopted country and also family in U.K. and so it becomes a tug of war and your heart is split between two countries and two worlds,
I left U.S. 7,1/2 months ago to come home to my Mum whos 92, I lived in U.S. for 36 years, now I know Im where I need to be at my retired stage in my life, Im very happy here
Thank you so much! I have a lot of posts to read and a lot of thinking to do, but this seems the perefect place to start. Everyone on here appears to be having their own heart battles, and I know that I will have mine, but perhaps listening to all of you, who seem so willing to share and help, will at least let me to find out where my heart really is.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Welcome Jacqueline,
This is the greatest place to be if you are undecided about coming back to the UK. I have lived in the US for most of my life, and recently came back to the UK. It hasnt worked out for me, and I am going home to the US next week, but not because I dont like England, my parents are here, but because after all of my life in the US I have come to realize I am more American than English now, and I had a difficult time adapting. This is not the norm, as our Lovely Rodney has proven..he to lived in the US almost as long as me, and recently returned, and is loveing life. My point here is this, these wonderful people dont judge you, but help guide and support you, and although I am not staying, I feel as welcome here as I did prior to my move. We are all different, and thats what makes this thread so wonderful..
Another Jackie..
Good post jackie, and very well put indeed, I hope you still keep posting from Las Vegas when you get there, Barb kept posting from Oz when UK didn't work out for her and she went back there to Oz
Good luck, --- not long now Huh
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:36 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much! I have a lot of posts to read and a lot of thinking to do, but this seems the perefect place to start. Everyone on here appears to be having their own heart battles, and I know that I will have mine, but perhaps listening to all of you, who seem so willing to share and help, will at least let me to find out where my heart really is.
Hi Jacqueline, I feel sure you will make the right decision - mainly because you are aware there is a difficult decision to be made.

I think sometimes people get an idea that they have to be "home" without really thinking through all the implications of what it will mean. I hope I'm not doing that myself but who knows? All I know is that I have analyzed and discussed and thought about this for about 18 months now. For me the decision is to go home for all kinds of reasons. If you think about this as carefully and deeply as you seem to be doing, I know you'll figure out the answer. Meantime, we're all here
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how much more I can take of this. We had 3 more showings today. Can you believe it... but none made an offer. Estate agent said people are waiting for another big drop in prices its suppose to be coming soon. Also reported on the news tonight that it is also going to take at least 7 years for the housing market to get better.

If you come for dinner we can eat off the floor its that clean.

Rodney...Those owls are still hanging around. Not sure how lucky they are They are starting to get on my nerves they keep calling to one another and its not a pleasant call. More like a drill and then when one ignores the other one he or she get their knickers in a twist and really lets go with the screaming They have a circular flight pattern right around the house.

I'm off the bed going to dream about winning the lottery.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:16 am

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by trottytrue
anishq...You sound quite lost but there are so many of us on here in just the same position as you. Getting your house sold will be your first hurdle I dont know how far along you are with that. It can be soul destroying. Once you get it sold you will feel a great relief. Get on the internet and do some research on where you might want to live. Then look around for estate agents and see how much houses cost as you are on your own you could find a good Bed and Breakfast and take buses to areas you are thinking of moving to. I have family in the Uk but If we ever get this house sold I will not be living with any of them not because I dont like them but I just think we will do better on our own. We will find somewhere to rent. Its all very scary but better to try than to just think about it. I wish you luck and plenty of energy because you are going to need it.

Rodney....Fancy you remembering me squeezing in beside you on that plane

High Tide....I bet your house looks lovely I cant believe how settled you sound. Must be very tired when you turn in at night but I bet its a nice tired. Anything you miss from Canada.

Charleygirl...If they miss you they can join you stop worrying you have tried everything.

Update on the thumb its doing fine. It did get big and have a large lump but its gone down and back to normal. I wastnt sure what hurt most the next morning my thumb or my head. I was back out in the garden today and made sure to wear my thick garden gloves.
Have two Owls visiting in the garden..wonder if thats lucky

Beedubya..You noticed that to. It feels nice to pop in here again and visit. Just like old times
Thanks for your encouraging words. I think you may have mixed me up with somebody else though. I don't have a house to sell TG and my daughter will be returning with me to UK, eventually her husband too. However, it is very kind of you to give me verbal support as many of you have. I have good days and I have some bad ones. Really get my knickers in a twist about what the move back to the UK entails. I am so glad to have this forum. I know I am not alone in having occasional doubts.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

anishq..No didnt mix you up I thought you had a house to sell. Makes it much easier if you dont and how nice that your daughter will be coming with you that should really help but I know what you mean about the ups and downs. I think we all have those. Should we should we not. Like tossing a coin.

The people on here are very nice and always willing to give help and suggestions when needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.