Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Oh god yes I am going through hell today, I took the day off to get some serious sorting done, and yes guess what, been in a daze the whole day. Worrying about my children............ will they hate me?, you know, that kind of thing.
I keep getting the "why do you care what time I will be home you are leaving anyway!"
Ouch! Oh dear my heart goes out to you. So difficult.

Tina
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
It's been a while since I have been here and thought I would give a brief update on our goings on in Brixham, Devon.

We are busy every day with ongoing renovations. The new slate roof on the house is almost complete and we are busy working on the cottage. We have stripped the pine floorboards down in the house which had been covered in carpet for years and now have 3 rooms completed. It's been a long haul but at the end of each day it is great to see a little progress. We have not gone far afield as yet as this occupies most of our time. Looking forward to the time when we can take a few days off and go exploring. We shall probably try to manage a few day trips at the end of the month as we have friends visiting from Canada. (Salt Spring Island to be exact Linda)

I have missed being able to check out the Forum but there just have not been enough hours in a day. Do hope all my old buddies are doing well. I shall attempt to catch up on a few posts now.
Great to hear from you, David!

Goodness, it doesn't seem long since you were still in Canada, in the planning stages, searching for a property.....and now look at you!!

It shows these enormous plans and changes, that seemed impossible or unimaginable at one point, really can become reality.

Encouraging for all.

Continued good luck with the renovations!

Tina
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:16 am

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Anne hello and thank you so much for your kind words, you sound like a very nice lady, good luck on your move home to U.K. yes it can be very scary, especially when the time flies by so quickly and the date to leave is drawing closer and closer, and so much to do, the list for everyone is so long, mine was huge and I didn't have a house to sell either, but the work you have to do and the many things you have to do to make this huge final move can at times be mindboggling and the last couple of weeks thought ---- have I forgotten to do anything important
And then the day comes leading up to getting ourselves to the airport, PANIC but then its over when you are sitting in your seat on the plane, Phew you say I did it !!!! when I sat down in my seat I looked around for trotty (cause I saved a seat for her) but she wasn't there
Anyway when I flew over Vegas I took one last look at the city and I can remember a big smile came over my face --- no tears all I felt at that point was absolute Joy
And now Ive been home for 7 & 1/2 months and settling in nicely, I love the weather, it changes so frequently, you never know what your going to get,
I even love the rain, ---- maybe thats cause I lived in the desert for so long,
I love everything about my life in the U.K. I feel so much more alive now, I feel younger too, and I seem to have a lot more energy these days,
I also feel very relaxed now, I think the fact that I dont have to worry about my health care anymore ----- and paying for it has a lot to do with that, and Just being allowed to relax and be happy in my retirement, now Im really looking forward to the rest of my life
Take care,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney,

Thank you for your kind words and taking time to respond to my post. You sound like a pretty nice and good person yourself. All the very best.
Anne
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
well I didnt have much success with doing the online updating driving license thing, got to the last page 3 times aaaaaaargh and it would not load...so will try again much later tonight when most Brits are asleep.......it looks so easy though.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022084

especially handy if you have your old license handy a I do, ( amazing after 14 years!)
I noticed the online form says you have to be a resident of the UK to do this. Do you think that matters? I could always have my new license sent to my mum's house but I don't want to fall afoul of any laws (sorry if I missed this already).
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well when I was home last I needed to see a doctor and although I needed to be a resident, she accepted that I would be one soon and took my brothers address as mine, and that is where i will be staying so i was going to use that, I did eventually get it done, but apparently they send something to that home address to verify, so i will just have my SIL look at it and let me know, i can wait til i get home, also was wondering about how they will pull the photo from my passport as i got that here.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

david, so happy to hear all is coming on well, just a matter of interest and cos I cant remember, how long were you in Canada. and are you having any problems adjusting? Anything you miss etc.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:37 am
Just Joined

JacquelineScrocca is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this board today and was so happy to read all of the comments. Made me feel quite at home, even though I have been in the USA for well over twenty years. Really trying to decide if I should go back to my roots, and the decision is tough since all of my children are here, but my Mum is in the UK and I miss her terribly.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JacquelineScrocca
Found this board today and was so happy to read all of the comments. Made me feel quite at home, even though I have been in the USA for well over twenty years. Really trying to decide if I should go back to my roots, and the decision is tough since all of my children are here, but my Mum is in the UK and I miss her terribly.
Welcome Jacqueline, there are many people in your very situation some post here, its a case of some deep soul searching on your part, why dont you post more details about your situation, ages of Children and Mum also health conditions etc, maybe over time you will come to a decesion you can live with.
Are you a US citizen?
Where in the UK are you from?
Again welcome... Fish
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

anishq...You sound quite lost but there are so many of us on here in just the same position as you. Getting your house sold will be your first hurdle I dont know how far along you are with that. It can be soul destroying. Once you get it sold you will feel a great relief. Get on the internet and do some research on where you might want to live. Then look around for estate agents and see how much houses cost as you are on your own you could find a good Bed and Breakfast and take buses to areas you are thinking of moving to. I have family in the Uk but If we ever get this house sold I will not be living with any of them not because I dont like them but I just think we will do better on our own. We will find somewhere to rent. Its all very scary but better to try than to just think about it. I wish you luck and plenty of energy because you are going to need it.

Rodney....Fancy you remembering me squeezing in beside you on that plane

High Tide....I bet your house looks lovely I cant believe how settled you sound. Must be very tired when you turn in at night but I bet its a nice tired. Anything you miss from Canada.

Charleygirl...If they miss you they can join you stop worrying you have tried everything.

Update on the thumb its doing fine. It did get big and have a large lump but its gone down and back to normal. I wastnt sure what hurt most the next morning my thumb or my head. I was back out in the garden today and made sure to wear my thick garden gloves.
Have two Owls visiting in the garden..wonder if thats lucky

Beedubya..You noticed that to. It feels nice to pop in here again and visit. Just like old times
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

JacquelineScrocca..Sorry I meant to say hello. My children are here but I am going home "one day'.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Welcome Jacqueline!

Yes, you are with others in the very same situation here.

Many of us are torn in this way between children in the adopted country (one of mine lives in Georgia!) and an aging parent or parents at home. We have been called the "sandwich generation," sandwiched between teenagers or young adults who still need us on the one hand, aging parents on the other. For expats with family members in different countries, it's even harder!

But I would think about what it is you miss about your roots.

Is it just your Mum? Important though that bond is--I miss my own very much and am really glad I am nearer her now and can visit more easily--I am not sure it should be the only reason to return.

Jackie's (she's also called ldynlv) story, which she has been brave and generous enough to share, is important here. She really thought she wanted to live back in UK, and has two aging parents there whom she was missing very much. When she got back, it was wonderful to see them, and she liked much about England, but in the end she simply did not feel at home there any more and is going back to the States. (Jackie, if you read this, hope it's a fair summary).

I think, to move back successfully, there must be so much about the UK that one misses. The people AND the place AND the history AND the Englishness or Britishness AND the culture AND the food AND the newspapers.....
etc!

BUT at the same time, if one has been away for many years, it helps to have been back frequently on visits so one knows how it has changed--for better in some ways, for worse in others; it helps as well not to imagine it as perfect-there are plenty of problems there.

Over the years my husband and I would discuss this, and he, worried about the idea of such a move for the family, would marshal arguments against it--logical ones, like higher cost of living, higher taxes, higher rate of burglary, fewer days of sunshine, whatever!!!

And many were undeniably true. But in the end, I said: look, you can bring out every argument in the book. You may be right. It makes no difference whatsoever to me. I am not making out a "pro" and "con" sheet ---(though here I should add this may be a useful strategy for some trying to decide).
I said to him, in the end, it's an emotional need.

It's just about feeling I am where I belong. It may not be the best, sunniest, etc etc place in the world. But when I am there I feel truly at home.

So Jacqueline--these are the kind of things we mull on here, as you have seen--and you are welcome!

Tina
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I wastnt sure what hurt most the next morning my thumb or my head.

Trotty so glad you can still laugh and make us laugh with you!

Tina
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Jacqueline you are surely in the right place here!! Doesn't it feel amazing when you find this forum and especially this thread and it feels like a weight has lifted as you realise that no you are not crazy for thinking about going back home after all those years away.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Welcome Jacqueline!

Yes, you are with others in the very same situation here.

Many of us are torn in this way between children in the adopted country (one of mine lives in Georgia!) and an aging parent or parents at home. We have been called the "sandwich generation," sandwiched between teenagers or young adults who still need us on the one hand, aging parents on the other. For expats with family members in different countries, it's even harder!

But I would think about what it is you miss about your roots.

Is it just your Mum? Important though that bond is--I miss my own very much and am really glad I am nearer her now and can visit more easily--I am not sure it should be the only reason to return.

Jackie's (she's also called ldynlv) story, which she has been brave and generous enough to share, is important here. She really thought she wanted to live back in UK, and has two aging parents there whom she was missing very much. When she got back, it was wonderful to see them, and she liked much about England, but in the end she simply did not feel at home there any more and is going back to the States. (Jackie, if you read this, hope it's a fair summary).

I think, to move back successfully, there must be so much about the UK that one misses. The people AND the place AND the history AND the Englishness or Britishness AND the culture AND the food AND the newspapers.....
etc!

BUT at the same time, if one has been away for many years, it helps to have been back frequently on visits so one knows how it has changed--for better in some ways, for worse in others; it helps as well not to imagine it as perfect-there are plenty of problems there.

Over the years my husband and I would discuss this, and he, worried about the idea of such a move for the family, would marshal arguments against it--logical ones, like higher cost of living, higher taxes, higher rate of burglary, fewer days of sunshine, whatever!!!

And many were undeniably true. But in the end, I said: look, you can bring out every argument in the book. You may be right. It makes no difference whatsoever to me. I am not making out a "pro" and "con" sheet ---(though here I should add this may be a useful strategy for some trying to decide).
I said to him, in the end, it's an emotional need.

It's just about feeling I am where I belong. It may not be the best, sunniest, etc etc place in the world. But when I am there I feel truly at home.

So Jacqueline--these are the kind of things we mull on here, as you have seen--and you are welcome!

Tina
Well said Tina, it cannot just be about going back for aging parents, especially when you have children to leave behind, it has to be reasons far, far more than that............and at the end of the day it really is all about feelings..........
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Jacqueline,
This is the greatest place to be if you are undecided about coming back to the UK. I have lived in the US for most of my life, and recently came back to the UK. It hasnt worked out for me, and I am going home to the US next week, but not because I dont like England, my parents are here, but because after all of my life in the US I have come to realize I am more American than English now, and I had a difficult time adapting. This is not the norm, as our Lovely Rodney has proven..he to lived in the US almost as long as me, and recently returned, and is loveing life. My point here is this, these wonderful people dont judge you, but help guide and support you, and although I am not staying, I feel as welcome here as I did prior to my move. We are all different, and thats what makes this thread so wonderful..
Another Jackie..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.