Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Just updating my driving license on line, amazing it can all be done on line and if one has a UK passport they can pull your passport photo from that for the photo driving license. I renewed my passport here in the US so I am not sure it will work, but just waiting to see. Its free too cos I had a license that is still valid.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Aw lovely post Rodney, i cant wait to meet you!
Ann good luck with your move back to the UK!
Talking of lists, I need to get cracking...........
Rodney did you have 4 suitcases in the end? Sorry I know i asked before but i have forgotten.
Hi charleygirl,
Yes I had 4 large suitcases --- you know as large as they allow on board the plane, Virgin allowed one to go free and I paid for 3 cases and it cost I think $234 for the excess baggage, I was very careful not to have more then the allowed weight of 50 lbs per case, you should have seen me the last week although I had all the cases packed months before my date and sitting on the floor of my bedroom ---- the last week I had to put more in them, and I think I weighed every case on my bathroom scales 4 or 5 times before I got it right,
so I had to take some stuff out that wasn't so important to me, like pictures and a few heavy ornaments etc etc to make room for extra important stuff and left them with my friend, I gave him my 52 inch flat screen TV and stereo receiver and a couple of very nice tall floor model speakers, actually I gave him a lot of stuff ---- he's my best friend --- actually even to this day my only friend, well all the nice and lovely people on here are my friends ----- but you know what I mean
And a lot of stuff like furniture I sold for very little money, and in total at the end I had 10 big 30 gallon black garbage bags full up with clothes, its absolutely amazing how many clothes one hordes over 36 years, and I think --- more for a man cause a man dont hardly throw away nothing throughout the decades for example I had 16 pair of 32 inch waist designer blue jeans that I have not been able to get into for ---- about 15 years sweaters, shirts, so much stuff, and you should have seen how much I had to throw away, OMG you really have to be quite ruthless while your doing all you sorting through everything otherwise you will never get it all done, my biggest Job was clearing out my garage, years of boxes stacked up to the roof, nothing written on the boxes so I didn't have a clue what was in them really, I still had room to put my car in the garage though but I cleared everything out of the garage in one day from dusk till dawn it took me, and in 112 degrees of heat right in the middle of the summer, Man wa\s I sweating some of the good stuff I sold in a garage sell but most of it I had to toss in the dumpster, they just emptied it the day before and I filled the whole dumpster up myself, --- I dont think a lot of residents were too happy with me
Anyway good luck --- your clock is ticking but hey dont sweat the small stuff --- you will be OK
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am so glad everything is working out for you Rodney, and I am sure I will miss a few things about England, the most obvious being my parents.
I wish you all the best now that you are content and living with your Mom. You are a lovely man, and deserve good things..
Jackie

Thanks Jackie for those nice words,
I just want to say that I do honestly understand your reasons for going back home to Las Vegas, as you say both countries are different, and either you can except the differences or you cant,
one is not really better then the other, I feel that there are advantages in living in either country,
And as I said before in a few posts that there are many things I really miss about Las Vegas and the U.S. in general, ---- but I have realised that England has everything that I want from life right now, right here at my age and my time of life, My Mums here which to me is everything, but I also realise that my Mum wont be here for ever, and when that time comes England will still be the place I will want to be, to tell you the truth I honestly think my Mum will live longer then me, a lot of parents are out living there kids these days, and I hope she does outlive me,
Take care Jackie,
and I think that you are a very nice Woman, sorry the circumstances were not right at the time for us to meet in Vegas when we were both there
Rodney.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Hello Rodney, I love reading your posts, it is so nice to hear how happy you are to have returned home, and that everything is working out for you. I also agree with the person that said, do not be too depressed about the negative comments someone recently made about the decisions you have made in your life... we all have made choices that, looking back, were not perhaps the right ones, but no one here on this earth has the right to judge us without knowing about our circumstances at the time. You seem like a very thoughtful and kind person from what you have written.

A few months ago you told us how you managed to change your US licence back to a UK one, I cannot find that post now, would you mind telling us again what you had to do. Thanks. Elizabeth
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, there is just something about the vibe of this thread that has gone right back to how it used to be..............

Oh Happy Days.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jul 12th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am so glad everything is working out for you Rodney, and I am sure I will miss a few things about England, the most obvious being my parents.
I wish you all the best now that you are content and living with your Mom. You are a lovely man, and deserve good things..
Jackie
Ach who knows where any of us will end up Jackie?? I found myself back here in the UK after just 10 months back in Australia.........

Never say never is my motto from then on!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

well I didnt have much success with doing the online updating driving license thing, got to the last page 3 times aaaaaaargh and it would not load...so will try again much later tonight when most Brits are asleep.......it looks so easy though.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022084

especially handy if you have your old license handy a I do, ( amazing after 14 years!)

Rodney thanks, yes I will have 4 cases too at the moment, but someone just posted something about excess baggage.com so waiting to see how much they paid for 10 boxes delivered door to door in about 3/4 days it seems!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ach who knows where any of us will end up Jackie?? I found myself back here in the UK after just 10 months back in Australia.........

Never say never is my motto from then on!!
Oh god yes I am going through hell today, I took the day off to get some serious sorting done, and yes guess what, been in a daze the whole day. Worrying about my children............ will they hate me?, you know, that kind of thing.
I keep getting the "why do you care what time I will be home you are leaving anyway!"

Last edited by charleygirl; Jul 12th 2011 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Oh god yes I am going through hell today, I took the day off to get some serious sorting done, and yes guess what, been in a daze the whole day. Worrying about my children............ will they hate me you know that kind of thing.
I keep getting the "why do you care what time I will be home you are leaving anyway!"

Ah yes Charleygirl, it is going to be doubly hard for you, you of course know how teenagers react to anything first hand........it is all ME ME ME!! And NOBODY else matters in their (selfish ME ME ME) life and just to think we must have been like that ourselves once upon a time...........
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

It's been a while since I have been here and thought I would give a brief update on our goings on in Brixham, Devon.

We are busy every day with ongoing renovations. The new slate roof on the house is almost complete and we are busy working on the cottage. We have stripped the pine floorboards down in the house which had been covered in carpet for years and now have 3 rooms completed. It's been a long haul but at the end of each day it is great to see a little progress. We have not gone far afield as yet as this occupies most of our time. Looking forward to the time when we can take a few days off and go exploring. We shall probably try to manage a few day trips at the end of the month as we have friends visiting from Canada. (Salt Spring Island to be exact Linda)

I have missed being able to check out the Forum but there just have not been enough hours in a day. Do hope all my old buddies are doing well. I shall attempt to catch up on a few posts now.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

well I didnt have much success with doing the online updating driving license thing, got to the last page 3 times aaaaaaargh and it would not load...so will try again much later tonight when most Brits are asleep.......it looks so easy though.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022084

especially handy if you have your old license handy a I do, ( amazing after 14 years!)

Rodney thanks, yes I will have 4 cases too at the moment, but someone just posted something about excess baggage.com so waiting to see how much they paid for 10 boxes delivered door to door in about 3/4 days it seems!
Thats handy to know about your license I still have mine (valid too) so may have a go at updating to a picture onel before going back.

Sorry to hear the teens are giving you grief. Don't let them get away with it, you are still Mum and deserve respect no matter where you will be living. Give 'em hell.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
It's been a while since I have been here and thought I would give a brief update on our goings on in Brixham, Devon.

We are busy every day with ongoing renovations. The new slate roof on the house is almost complete and we are busy working on the cottage. We have stripped the pine floorboards down in the house which had been covered in carpet for years and now have 3 rooms completed. It's been a long haul but at the end of each day it is great to see a little progress. We have not gone far afield as yet as this occupies most of our time. Looking forward to the time when we can take a few days off and go exploring. We shall probably try to manage a few day trips at the end of the month as we have friends visiting from Canada. (Salt Spring Island to be exact Linda)

I have missed being able to check out the Forum but there just have not been enough hours in a day. Do hope all my old buddies are doing well. I shall attempt to catch up on a few posts now.
Sounds like it's all coming together well
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide

Good on Ya David, yes it all sounds like a lot of work and money to get the house and cottage fixed up, but it looks like you and partner are doing a lot most of the work yourselves, so if your experienced at this type of thing then that helps a lot, ---- me Im afraid would be useless, put me in a kitchen and I can cook up a real good meal to die for ---- but turn me loose on a house that needs to be fixed up and well I wouldn't know where to start, you see Ive always rented --- never had to learn
Rodney.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow, there is just something about the vibe of this thread that has gone right back to how it used to be..............

Oh Happy Days.
Aaaaaa Ha you noticed that to Huh feels good dont it
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boodles
Hello Rodney, I love reading your posts, it is so nice to hear how happy you are to have returned home, and that everything is working out for you. I also agree with the person that said, do not be too depressed about the negative comments someone recently made about the decisions you have made in your life... we all have made choices that, looking back, were not perhaps the right ones, but no one here on this earth has the right to judge us without knowing about our circumstances at the time. You seem like a very thoughtful and kind person from what you have written.

A few months ago you told us how you managed to change your US licence back to a UK one, I cannot find that post now, would you mind telling us again what you had to do. Thanks. Elizabeth
Well boodles this is what happened about
my licence, I called the main number and they told me I can just change my American license for a British one, just fill in the form and send it in with a £20 renewal fee and I will receive my new licence within 3 weeks, ---- 3 weeks past and I got a letter telling me I cant get my British licence renewed ----- reason they gave was that I dont have a current British licence, and there records showed that I did not renew my licence years ago --- I just let it expire, and they said that I cant exchange an American licence for a British one, Canada can do that but not America. so they just returned my £20 fee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.