Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Great update Somerset!

Your words about the thread are spot on--it's informational but also about HOW IT FEELS....
And "warm and friendly"....

In those 31 years in canada, have you been visiting the UK regularly?
Obviosuly holidays are not the same as real nitty-gritty of life, but the do give you a sense of continuity and seeing how things works, have changed, etc....

Very BEST of luck with this big and exciting move...staying with family while you house-hunt, that is lovely.

Keep us posted!

Tina
Thanks for the good wishes Tina. Yes, I went back very often when my parents were both alive, and since then maybe every 4 or 5 years. I don't have much family left, but my sister and I are very close and she has spent quite a bit of time with us here in Canada. My husband's parents are elderly but in good health so we can be there for them if they need us in the future.

Yes, we are so lucky to have family to stay with and that they are so happy for us.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello somersetgirl nice to hear from you again, ----- boring? are you kidding,
your news is wonderful, Wow you sold your house in just 6 days, how absolutely amazing, and now so quickly you have a flight bringing you (HOME)
on July 22nd, oh I am so happy for you and your hubby,
You say now you are begining to panic, dont worry about that, its natural after being away from home for over 30 years, I can remember my panic when I was down to my last couple of weeks, although I was so busy for months sorting all my stuff out and dumping a lot of stuff, and then all the other loose ends you have to tie up when you know your not coming back again, it can be soooo overwhelming, have I forgot to do something? you ask yourself, but just go with the flow you will be alright, and it is easier to get everything done when theres two of you,
As for settling in to a much different lifestyle when you are here in U.K. again just go with the flow, it will take a while to settle in and adjust to everything, some settle in and feel comfortable living here quite quickly, but others --- well it takes longer, we are all different,
But one little IMPORTANT detail I would like to mention to you is ---- if you intend to keep a Canadian bank account open ----- make sure that you go into your bank and tell one of the managers of the bank that you are going to be living in the U.K. from now on ---- and they will note that in there records and your be fine, (BUT) if you dont do this then as soon as you try and take any money out of your Canadian account in the U.K. you will not be able to because they will put a block on you account, they do this to protect you,
Anyway you have a safe trip out here and again congratulations on the sale of the house, that must be a world record of just 6 days
Good luck and now you are starting the rest of your life, how exciting
Rodney.
Dear Rodney, You are so kind! Your words made me feel so much better. You just have a way of understanding how people feel, that is a wonderful gift. I am so sorry to hear about your operation, and wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Regarding the bank account, yes, you are right. I remember reading and responding to a post early this year about a couple who had to return to Canada to get the money out of their bank account, as they had been so busy packing up and leaving, they had neglected to let the bank know. I made sure we went into the bank IN PERSON to advise them. We had to sign the necessary transfer forms and were told they will hold them until we email or fax to have the remainder of the funds transferred.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Rodney you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Nor do you have to answer such nasty insults.

somersetgirl, so nice to hear that you sold your house and are ready to go! Do you have a place lined up over there or will you be staying with friends for a while?

Edited: Oops just re-read and saw that you're staying with family. I hope you find something really soon!
Thanks Sally. Yes, I'm sure we will. We've been spending A LOT of time on Rightmove and have a shortlist of properties along the Devon coast, so now the fun part will start!! Did I remember that you and your husband are now planning your return too or are you going just for a holiday this time?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
If you are reffering to me in the above statement in regard to "freeloading of of aged parents" the fact is I havent been freeloading, as I have been working for most of the time here, also, my "aged parents" have been overjoyed to have me, after a major surgery I had last year they wanted to spend time with me. I think before you make sweeping arrogant and uninformed remarks, you should stop and realize that prehaps judging other people is really not your job!!
Jackie
Jackie, I was so sorry to read that you are not happy. I do think it was wonderful though that you were able to spend time with your parents. That was truly a wonderful thing for both of you. They must know you better than anyone else, and I think you said they are happy for you to go back. I wish you every happiness in your journey back.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Mummy about hubby, you are kidding right, did he get a diagnosis?
SG, wow thats wonderful about the house, not long now.......2 weeks
Aries, kind thoughts coming your way!

Rod! You're the best.

53 days for me, and oh so so much to do.
Thank you Charleygirl. Yes I know 2 weeks....AAAH!! You really are on countdown too. I'm not sure which is worse, having so much still to do, or trying to remember what you did last week!! The shippers are coming on Monday, so then we'll be down to a suitcase each for the flight....after filling up bags and bags of clothes for donating, I've kept a few things to wear around the house for the last few days and then will just throw them out (no laundry!!).
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:31 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What a lovely place to visit. the weather looked gorgeous.
Were those deer eating grass in the one picture?

Yes Mummy they are all around and sooo tame, your kids would love them.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I know it's not rocket science - I was responding to a quote from Cheers. There's no need to be snippy!
I was agreeing with YOU and wasn't being snippy at all............. I too was responding to Cheers rambling post via yours, in as you need money any place to buy things............I'm sorry if you read that wrongly, but absolutely no snippiness implied or intended.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Jul 6th 2011 at 5:46 am.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Hi Barb, Yes, we were shocked at how fast we sold. I do believe this move was written in the stars, because as soon as we made the decision, everything has happened very fast and pretty smoothly too, except for the banking part! Finally got my UK HSBC account opened, after 7 weeks, but of course the postal strike didn't help. We will be looking for a house in Devon.
Looks like another nice place for the over 50's to visit..........Devon.

I haven't been there for about 30 years but hopefully will get round and about this country a little bit more this year, isn't it exciting to have so many great places to visit.

Good luck with your house hunting.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Looks like another nice place for the over 50's to visit..........Devon.

but hopefully will get round and about this country a little bit more this year, isn't it exciting to have so many great places to visit.

Good luck with your house hunting.
Hi Barb! And may I just ask? What about Shropshire - Hardly ever see dog poop - and often see flowers and lots of greenery! Don
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Barb! And may I just ask? What about Shropshire - Hardly ever see dog poop - and often see flowers and lots of greenery! Don
That's on the list too!! You know I think my auntie and uncle used to live there when I was a kid, but I just cannot remember the name of the town, thinking cap on now!!

BTW I hardly ever see dog poop around these parts either, and lots of greenery and flowers everywhere too!!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That's on the list too!! You know I think my auntie and uncle used to live there when I was a kid, but I just cannot remember the name of the town, thinking cap on now!!

BTW I hardly ever see dog poop around these parts either, and lots of greenery and flowers everywhere too!!
It is, indeed, a beautiful county - although to be fair, it is my adopted county, from the age of 20, when I came out of the Royal Air Force.
My town of birth, is the ''Home Of Leather'' Walsall Staffordshire - (Now West Midlands.) Father, was in business there, as a Watch Maker. Don
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sally. Yes, I'm sure we will. We've been spending A LOT of time on Rightmove and have a shortlist of properties along the Devon coast, so now the fun part will start!! Did I remember that you and your husband are now planning your return too or are you going just for a holiday this time?
I'm afraid it's just a holiday this time. We have another 18 months or so before we'll have enough savings to make the move permanently.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:25 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
This is one person.
I broke down the costs as money for medicare, money to pay the deductible, and money to cover part of the cost for prescriptions and then you pay out of pocket.

Yes $359 per month is a lot of money for a retired person. Thank you for waking me up. That is $718 per month for two of us.

Cheers
Holy cow! You pay half of what we pay and we are both working full-time. We struggle to afford our coverage so to think retired people have to pay that much for theirs is just outrageous.

Meantime, in congress right now the Republicans are refusing to get rid of tax breaks for oil companies and corporate jets. I'm so glad they know who to take care of.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

oh thanks for the info about the Bank......OMG panicking now.....

I still cant decide how to get my stuff back, I plan on having 3 excess suitcases, only allowed one bag with BA....I have 23 years of married life here plus all my stuff from before.
I bought 3 boxes at the weekend, and have started to put stuff in there for my children. I have saved their first pair of shoes, first party outfit, cub scout uniform, blankies, sun hats, wnter hats and mittens from when they were babies
and then all the drawings and cards they made me over the years. I shall keep a few for me but the rest I will put in the box for them, I even have their letters to Santa aw. and baby teeth. Oh dear.....
Been really ruthless though..as I said before somewhere Goodwill love me!
Rodney I remember when you were counting down the days....seems like yesterday.

Don how far from Leicester are you, and how is your wife finding the UK?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good wishes Tina. Yes, I went back very often when my parents were both alive, and since then maybe every 4 or 5 years. I don't have much family left, but my sister and I are very close and she has spent quite a bit of time with us here in Canada. My husband's parents are elderly but in good health so we can be there for them if they need us in the future.

Yes, we are so lucky to have family to stay with and that they are so happy for us.
Ah ok so it won't all be completely new when you go back to live. I think it's helpful if one has been visiting regularly enough to keep with the changes a bit.

Well, good luck!

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.