Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OK some observations from me..........

Jackie as you know Denise (DDL) put up lots of links about the retirement places and I went along with it, looked into it and yet at the end of the day there is no way I am ready to live there just yet (neither are Denise and Tony by the look even though I am older than you I am nowhere NEAR ready for retirement..........I did live in a complex as a manager as you know and sorry to say this folks, but I did try to avoid the "oldies" on my days off as I felt it was bringing me down.. if I had to live with my 82 year old mother I would go bonkers

Rodney - we so get you.

Islandwoman/Rosie - do look into coach trips in your local paper, my mother and her friend are going to Folkestone at the end of this month or next month, can't remember, anyways it is 4 nights full board, breakfast, lunch and dinner, nightly entertainment, picking up by coach in Runcorn, a day trip to Canterbury and a day trip to Ostend, Belgium all for about 149 quid!!! Talk about value for money.

Charleygirl - Ibuprofen are available at Lidl for 29p per pack of 16 tablets, sure you can only buy 2 packets of a time but there is nothing to stop you going back daily!! They are 200mg of Ibuprofen each tab and a fraction of the cost of Nurofen, etc............and thank you SOOOO much for the reminder about the name of those picture hooks being COMMAND, I was able to go to this big massive B & Q tonight and to buy 2 packets. They were mighty dusty though, maybe the average Brit doesn't use them.

Next door to the B & Q is a big TK Maxx, well didn't I have fun in there, my son sent me some belated money for my birthday which was burning a hole in my pocket so in there I managed to buy some much needed waterproof clothing, a Regatta waterproof jacket and some Regatta walking shoes as I have white Asics Gels and the dew on the grass is not so good when it makes your feet soaking wet and wrecks your joggers (trainers, gym shoes, whatever you call them!!), both at half price at least..... some track suit pants in the sale plus some other unmentionables

For you Americans there was a whole heap of foodstuffs near to the check out and I thought of you lot, so if anybody is having cravings for Aunt Jemima's (??) pancake mix, Snuckers (Snickers Snackers???) Peanut Butter, Hersheys chocolate sauce, chocolates, some kind of chilli, Texan sauce thingie and lots more then get yourself along to TK Maxx.

You know typing up all this stuff tonight reminds me about how this thread used to be before it went pear shaped....................

And if you don't like what I have written...........then don't blooming read it!!
Yeah Barb it does kind of feel like the old days huh --- ---- ---- --- ---- then dont blooming well read it!! ha ha you are a very funny lady at times you know, and I mean that in the nicest way
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

haha yes and I cant wait to meet her!! And rodney you will be next on the list, I love to travel and i love to drive, although I do find the UK roads a very scary place now, they seem too narrow and oh so dam fast..........my poor friend was a wreck every time i went out with her. "Oh watch that car" "Oh my god look how fast" "Oh god that house is very close to the road" Oh look someone is right up close behind us" haha I was a wreck so was she. She said hmm Denise i dont remember you being this nervous
I live in very very rural NH!!!! very different to Leicester City.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
This is a pathetically cliquey thread and you should all be shamed that you have not allowed it to become more inclusive and USEFUL for newcomers.

I thought that was the intent of the entire BE experience.

Have it your way!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:49 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find this thread cliquey at all - many new people have joined as newbies and been welcomed and helped, including me. But it is a conversational thread and that's not going to change. If it's not your cup of tea there are lots of other threads available.

Personally, I am grateful for the information shared by those who have moved back and those who are thinking about it and I enjoy reading the updates.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

talking of Tea, where is DDL, I hope she celebrated her 4th in a happy way.

I spent it alone, girls in Boston, son at a cook out hubby at a friends, like you sally never been one of my fave times, but I do love the fireworks.

I love our pathetic clique thread too.

Rodney you are right this is not a pathetic thread!

Last edited by charleygirl; Jul 4th 2011 at 11:38 pm. Reason: added a p.s
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
This is a pathetically cliquey thread and you should all be shamed that you have not allowed it to become more inclusive and USEFUL for newcomers.

I thought that was the intent of the entire BE experience.

Have it your way!
Pistol
If YOU look back at this thread from the start when trottytrue started it there were only maybe 6 of us that were talking to each other, trotty brought us over from another B.E. thread, she told everyone that she is going to start this new 50's & 60's thread, this was way back in July/August of 2009, you can see for yourself Pistol Im not making this stuff up, so we enchoraged her, anyway as the weeks went along people were reading our posts thought they were interesting and joined in, at one point we had 3 or 4 brand new people join our thread every single day and they were all welcome and we learned from them and them from us and we shared our experiences and joys and tears and everyone were so nice, even when there were a hundred of us we were all chatting away like we had known each other for years, thats what this thread did to everyone you see, remember that old movie maybe you didn't see it but it was called Christine, it was about a beaten up old chevy car that took on a life of its own --- it suddenly came alive ---- and so thats what happened to our thread it took on a life of its own just like Christine with a heart and soul,
The thread was a tremendous hit, and it helped so many people, and then sadly something happened to it a while back,
a handful of People like you came in with your too serious approach to everything, thats not what this thread is all about, but Im afraid that I could sit here punching these keys on my lap top trying to explain to you that this thread is not clicky ---- till the bloody cows came home and you still would not have a dicky of a clue what the hell I am talking about,
No Pistol you are dead wrong, this is not a clicky thread --- never has been never will be, and all new people are ---- and always have been welcome to pull up a chair and put the kettle on and have a nice little chat as we get to know each other,
Tell me Pistol if you dont mind ---- Im a little curious ---- do you have any friends?
In closing I would like to say that for some unknown reason you Pistol and just a few others recently have given the impression that they thought that this thread is (JUST) an information site, that is so far from what we are, we are so much more then that, ---- if all us people on here just wanted to give out information all day long then we may as well just get a freaking Job at the nearest visitors information center where we live ---- or age concern.
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 4th 2011 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well said Rodney, and you know I am sorry to say there are always people as you know who want to just ruin everything, so maybe we should just hit that ignore button, haha i came back to delete my comment cos I thought ner dont need that and you are right we are not a clique......

And did you read, you are on my list of things to do..........visit! haha
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

And if you don't like what I have written...........then don't blooming read it!!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Well said Rodney, and you know I am sorry to say there are always people as you know who want to just ruin everything, so maybe we should just hit that ignore button, haha i came back to delete my comment cos I thought ner dont need that and you are right we are not a clique......

And did you read, you are on my list of things to do..........visit! haha
charleygirl I would consider it an honor to meet you one day, and Barb too,
I already have an open invitation to go up and visit Don & Tim, Im looking forward to meeting them, we email each other often, but as I said to Don my little trip up there will have to wait unfortunately until I have my hernia operation on the 4th of AUGUST,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS got to go to bed now its 1am in morning here in my little kneck of the woods, by the way I just came in from siting in the garden its a lovely night, and as I looked up at the sky there were a multitude of sparkling stars shining so brightly, a nice clear night, and tomorrow its going to be dry and sunny and quite warm in the South of the British Isles where I live,

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 4th 2011 at 11:54 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Pete I guess I'm a generalist because I like what you write but you are on a different wavelength I think. You are very informative.

As for the rest you......just kidding.

Jackie I was able to jump into your shoes this afternoon and see things as you see them. In the US you can have anything you want and you are not a second class citizen were in England you are surrounded by things you can't have. In LV you can have a really nice apartment and a nice car as opposed to Lincolnshire where you have to compromise your living standards. I think if you had a good well paying job things might be a little different. As for the social life I hear you, you are not one of them and you don't talk their language. About 50% of their TV programs are silly the other 50% can be top notch. The silly shows are for a very low mentality group of people.
When you shop you look at the prices and think that is a rip off.
You feel closed in and the doors are ready to close but if you found some friends you could go out and have ball but you don't see anyone close to your age and single with a desire to go and do things. There are probably hundreds of people your age and single in Las Vegas so you can have your pick. Hey I would join you if I was there but I would have to put air in the tires/tyres of my wheel chair first.
Yes move back here and have more control!
Bees situation is different because she can visit her sisters at will and do things together if she wishes to.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:28 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
charleygirl I would consider it an honor to meet you one day, and Barb too,
I already have an open invitation to go up and visit Don & Tim, Im looking forward to meeting them, we email each other often, but as I said to Don my little trip up there will have to wait unfortunately until I have my hernia operation on the 4th of AUGUST,

Did we know about this operation Rodney? If I missed it, I'm sorry. Is this something you have just been diagnosed with, or something you have had for a while.

Anyway, lots and lots of luck!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't find this thread cliquey at all - many new people have joined as newbies and been welcomed and helped, including me. But it is a conversational thread and that's not going to change. If it's not your cup of tea there are lots of other threads available.

Personally, I am grateful for the information shared by those who have moved back and those who are thinking about it and I enjoy reading the updates.
Just had to jump in here. This thread is my cup of tea, even though I'm not one of the original "gang". I joined the thread in January 2011 and was really made to feel welcome. Yes, I did get a few bits of important information, but THE MOST IMPORTANT PART was interacting with people who understand how it feels to be an expat. Then a few months ago things started getting quite nasty and hurtful so I stopped reading altogether. Have been reading again for a couple of weeks now and it has that nice warm friendly feeling back again, how lovely!!

So, a little update from me. We sold our house in June (in 6 days) and have a flight out on July 22nd. Now, I'm really starting to panic, as the reality has kicked in. Having been in Canada for 31 years, I know its going to be a huge culture shock. Will be staying with family while we look for a house, so that will be difficult, but how lucky we are to have people who love us.

Interesting comments from a few people about July 4th. I feel exactly the same way on Canada Day, totally alien! I've always felt English, and even though we have lots of Canadian friends, and have absolutely loved living here, its time to go home!

One thing that has really surprised me though is how our friends and neighbours have responded to the news of us leaving. We have been overwhelmed with good wishes and all kinds of leaving parties, dinners etc. and way more tears than I ever would have expected. So, it just goes to show you never really know what others people are thinking after all. (We always felt that we didn't really fit in however hard we tried). I must say my husband is much more matter of fact about all of this, and far less emotional (which is a good thing too...one basket case in the family is enough).

Sorry this is long and hopefully not too boring!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt that this thread is cliquey, and has descended into conversation that should be on the chit-chat thread. So many times I have read about how great it is that the "old posters" are here. The new posters that do come through never stay. Have you not noticed this?

When I first came to the MBTTUK forum, I read through all the old posts on this thread and there were useful posts. It doesn't have to all be links and strictly information, but should at least be on-topic. TT herself has said that she started this as a place for useful information for those MBTTUK.

There is no doubt that it has steered far away from that now. TTFN.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Pete I guess I'm a generalist because I like what you write but you are on a different wavelength I think. You are very informative.

As for the rest you......just kidding.

Jackie I was able to jump into your shoes this afternoon and see things as you see them. In the US you can have anything you want and you are not a second class citizen were in England you are surrounded by things you can't have. In LV you can have a really nice apartment and a nice car as opposed to Lincolnshire where you have to compromise your living standards. I think if you had a good well paying job things might be a little different. As for the social life I hear you, you are not one of them and you don't talk their language. About 50% of their TV programs are silly the other 50% can be top notch. The silly shows are for a very low mentality group of people.
When you shop you look at the prices and think that is a rip off.
You feel closed in and the doors are ready to close but if you found some friends you could go out and have ball but you don't see anyone close to your age and single with a desire to go and do things. There are probably hundreds of people your age and single in Las Vegas so you can have your pick. Hey I would join you if I was there but I would have to put air in the tires/tyres of my wheel chair first.
Yes move back here and have more control!
Bees situation is different because she can visit her sisters at will and do things together if she wishes to.
Sure you can have anything you want over here - at a price.............
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Jackie---- I can understand very well the reason you want to get back to your previous life in LV.

Each time I came to England, from Australia, to visit my parents I stayed with them in Newark. I even came on a working holiday for 4months.
I love Newark, an old historical market town but could never wait to get back to Perth. They were very loving but treated me like a young child again.

My Mum is now in a Care Home in Balderton. Is that close to Grantham? She is 102yrs old.
Paula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.