Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 24th 2011, 7:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks David, I am off to the family for the weekend, I will have to find one out that way, or at least one that is more easy to find!!

I do love the old car boot sales I have to say, my brother though is an expert and gets such GREAT buys, mind you he does take a chance and buys where perhaps others don't or won't. Last 2 examples, he bought a broken HP laptop for £20, got it home had a good look at it and it just needed a new power cord, and that's it, what a bargain, not another thing wrong with it!!

He also bought this posh replica watch that didn't work - off to find the name of it - OK it was a Breitling, he paid £13.00 for it as his wife rolled her eyes he sold it on eBay unfixed for about £130.00!!!!!

Mind you, he also buys rubbish as well LOL!!
He sounds like my father in law, the car boot professional It's his hobby, he's retired.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:30 pm
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

Thanks David, I am off to the family for the weekend, I will have to find one out that way, or at least one that is more easy to find!!

I do love the old car boot sales I have to say, my brother though is an expert and gets such GREAT buys, mind you he does take a chance and buys where perhaps others don't or won't. Last 2 examples, he bought a broken HP laptop for £20, got it home had a good look at it and it just needed a new power cord, and that's it, what a bargain, not another thing wrong with it!!

He also bought this posh replica watch that didn't work - off to find the name of it - OK it was a Breitling, he paid £13.00 for it as his wife rolled her eyes he sold it on eBay unfixed for about £130.00!!!!!

Mind you, he also buys rubbish as well LOL!!
You have to wade through a lot of Junk to find the treasure. My main problem is not running around rubbing my hands gleefully and saying "oooo that's cheap as chips!"
Old May 24th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is USUALLY a standard 20 days per year, but 25 if you do shift work and work weekends, at least that is what I used to get in my last 4 jobs I believe, plus the paid public holidays.

I was shocked when I first heard how little the US gets in annual leave, I wonder if Canada is the same or is that more like here?
Yes thats good Barb you knew that I was talking about the poor vacation time in America, yes indeed they work you to death over there --- I had to leave before that fate happened to me, now Im home it feels that I may have a little more time left. it feels quite good actually to get out of the US Job market.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie82
Average for starting at a new job in Canada is 14 days.
Average for starting a new Job in USA is nowt ----- after one year you get a week, but you see there is absolutely no US law to make US companies to pay its employees vacation pay, they do not have to give you anything if they dont want to.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Average for starting a new Job in USA is nowt ----- after one year you get a week, but you see there is absolutely no US law to make US companies to pay its employees vacation pay, they do not have to give you anything if they dont want to.

Unreal
Old May 25th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

also it appears that US companies don't have to abide by any laws regarding your pay. without boring anyone w/details i have been fighting my pathetic company for 3 months to get them to pay me correctly. they probably owe me well over $600-1k. It is getting to the point if they do not resolve soon I will be looking at labor laws and taking other measures..i leave the job in a few weeks but not until I get the pay I have worked for. we have worked in the past many days at a time with no breaks or lunches. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do it..
Old May 25th 2011, 12:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

They can also lay you off then next week hire someone else to do your exact same job for less money.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

well the company I work for is a friggin' genius of a company. they are an outsourcing company. do lots of benefits, payroll calls etc for companies like delta, washington post. so here I am working for an outsourcing company and guess what.. when i have an issue with resetting passwords bloody calls get routed to India. i will be so glad to work as speech therapy assistant working with kids.. 6 weeks to go in this job, internship, trip to UK and then something to look forward to..
Old May 25th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

..and on a positive note.

Cheers
Old May 25th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
well the company I work for is a friggin' genius of a company. they are an outsourcing company. do lots of benefits, payroll calls etc for companies like delta, washington post. so here I am working for an outsourcing company and guess what.. when i have an issue with resetting passwords bloody calls get routed to India. i will be so glad to work as speech therapy assistant working with kids.. 6 weeks to go in this job, internship, trip to UK and then something to look forward to..
You have a lot to look forward to
Old May 25th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Welshie82
You have to wade through a lot of Junk to find the treasure. My main problem is not running around rubbing my hands gleefully and saying "oooo that's cheap as chips!"
I am afraid I am guilty of doing the same. Not exactly brilliant when it comes to bargaining !! Welcome to the Forum Welshie.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

yes I do have lot to look forward to. now just have to pay my bills and dues for next 6 weeks. off to Palm Springs for a weekend as well so that will be nice..
Old May 25th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
yes I do have lot to look forward to. now just have to pay my bills and dues for next 6 weeks. off to Palm Springs for a weekend as well so that will be nice..
I would like to go there with you and try and find the New York Jewish style deli that had great sandwiches. I didn't like the New York rudeness but it made it an authentic experience. (sorry Sally)
Did you know that Bob Hope who had a home there use to go to the airport with his medic attendant and sit there to be around people. Shame that he had lots of money but that money isolated him. Poor Englishman.

Back to LLL.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny but I never found people in New York to be rude. I find them to be direct, but very friendly and open.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's funny but I never found people in New York to be rude. I find them to be direct, but very friendly and open.
That's probably because you are Yorkshire (known for directness, friendliness and openess)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.