Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 16th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Welcome Maria!
Old May 16th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fulwood
it was lovely to hear from those of you who don't post very often namely Easterdawn, Anna and dgjamison. Loved reading about your adventures..
Ditto...................Great to read your updates. Do hope you will come back more often.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn.......Glad to hear all your great news. Goodluck on the job. Hope you get it. If anyone derserves it you do. Will be wonderful to have your hubby with you. For someone who had no relatives in the area you moved to you have done so well. When I come home I want to meet you.

Anna....Well that was a surprise dont blame you for not being stuck to your computer I think that shows how well you are doing.

I think I mentioned to you all that we had decided to get an appraisel on the house. Well it came back at the price we are asking for the house so that was good news. Whats interesting is all the information you get on your home. Fortunately for us ours was all good but I am sure if there is something that they feel needs fixing they will detail it in the report. They do touch on everything, age, condition, termites, attic I shall have another look and see what else they mention.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria Honora
Hello

My name is Maria Honora.

I moved here with my mother, Gloria, about 3 weeks ago. I know I am not old enough to be on this sitie (!!!) but I am here for my mother.

We have moved from Madrid in Spain. My Grandfather died in April this year and left his house to my Mother. Although we had visited before my Grandfather died it is really strange to live in this house.

My Mother speaks english but not well - I speak (Ithink!) quite well in english.

We live now in Southsea - part of Portsmouth. It is very lovely - when we lived in Madrid we were hours from the sea. Now, 5 minutes walk away and it is just a different world - I love swimming!

My mother seems though some out of her depth as we do not have any family here - this is why I post on this age-related website.

Has anyone got experience from moving to here in Uk so as to assist us, my Mother more in "fitting in"?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Thank you.

Maria Honora
Hi Maria,

First of all I think it takes courage to move to a new country but it certainly takes time before your surroundings and way of life can become familiar.
You must be a loving daughter to post on here for your mother so perhaps you can help her to integrate by taking walks and visits to places in the neighbourhood, in the town and in the surrounding area.
Are there any classes that you can find to help your mother learn English? I know here on the West Coast of Canada we have many people who come here from other countries and do not speak the language so there are many classes for people of all ages to learn English.
I think that once she knows even a few phrases, and a few more people, she will feel less isolated, realise she is not alone and begin to feel a part of the community.
Something else you could consider is to help your mother join a local group that speaks to one of her interests: crafts? gardening? walking? cooking? These are a good way to commune with a small group of people who will likely help her to integrate.
Give yourselves time... 3 weeks is nothing. All the best to you in your new life.

Last edited by bandrui; May 16th 2011 at 8:47 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Easterndawn.......Glad to hear all your great news. Goodluck on the job. Hope you get it. If anyone derserves it you do. Will be wonderful to have your hubby with you. For someone who had no relatives in the area you moved to you have done so well. When I come home I want to meet you.

Anna....Well that was a surprise dont blame you for not being stuck to your computer I think that shows how well you are doing.

I think I mentioned to you all that we had decided to get an appraisel on the house. Well it came back at the price we are asking for the house so that was good news. Whats interesting is all the information you get on your home. Fortunately for us ours was all good but I am sure if there is something that they feel needs fixing they will detail it in the report. They do touch on everything, age, condition, termites, attic I shall have another look and see what else they mention.

That's excellent! Now if the buyer's bank's appraisal comes in lower, (when you have a buyer, very soon I hope!) you have ammunition. That was a good idea and I wish we had done it.

Good luck!

Tina
Old May 16th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

My name is Maria Honora.

I moved here with my mother, Gloria, about 3 weeks ago. I know I am not old enough to be on this sitie (!!!) but I am here for my mother.

We have moved from Madrid in Spain. My Grandfather died in April this year and left his house to my Mother. Although we had visited before my Grandfather died it is really strange to live in this house.

My Mother speaks english but not well - I speak (Ithink!) quite well in english.

We live now in Southsea - part of Portsmouth. It is very lovely - when we lived in Madrid we were hours from the sea. Now, 5 minutes walk away and it is just a different world - I love swimming!

My mother seems though some out of her depth as we do not have any family here - this is why I post on this age-related website.

Has anyone got experience from moving to here in Uk so as to assist us, my Mother more in "fitting in"?

Thank you.

Maria Honora
Welcome, Maria! I agree with everything bandrui says.

Also perhaps you could try the public library, this is usually a good place to go for community information.

It is free to join the library, you just need to show that you live in England--an electricity bill or something with your name and address on.

There might be information there about the community, about English lessons, about activities, and ways to fit in more easily.

Good luck to you both!

Tina
Old May 16th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi Cheers, I had meant to post before now and then so much was going on good and bad I really did'nt want to bore you all. Yes I am back in sunny Belfast again the last time I talked to you we were just moving to Cork to be close to my daughter, and it was great for a while, but I was BORED, she lives in a lovely little one street( basically) town, which she loves and its great for the kids, and she has loads of friends I really can see why she loves it and it so safe for the family, no crime ect: but I am a city girl at heart who loves getting to all the shops even Tescos and looking at bargains, but I did find Cork a lot more expensive than the North, even though they have most High street names from the uk it just was'nt the same. Also bills like gas and electricity are far more expensive so we are home again, and have rented a nice little semi detatched 3 bedroom house, right beside my old family home which sometimes makes me sad to see as I don't think I will ever be able to afford one like it again But onwards and upwards, we are definately more settled now, and I love being back in a house of our own again. I'm sure my kids are glad to We pay £550 per month all inclusive (which is great as the rental market has gone crazy) We are still driving round in our Chevy Impala, and it is great so far except for the price of Petrol, so I still have my little Fiesta, that I am going to get overhauled and MOT'd and use that as a run round and only use th big car for longer journeys for the comfort. If you were to ask me am I happy, yes I am, but I do think it takes approx. a good year to really get settled properly and really find your feet. I think I realise the grass is always greener, and I just am more comfortable with the people form Ireland and England, they have such a great sense of fun and genuinely know how to enjoy themselves even when time are tough. Look at the royal wedding and the atmosphere, street parties ect: where else would you get that?? I look at movies now at places that always looked glamorous to me and I know the downside of it as well, the poverty ect:We are joining a golf club not far from this house and hopefully make some new friends there too. I see you are going back is it next year cheers? I hope you have a lovely time and am interested to see how you enjoy it. Love to all on this forum Denise2
Welcome back to Belfast Denise! I would love to know where is your neighborhood?
Old May 16th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
A SHOUT OUT TO RODNEY AND ALL THE OLDIES!!!!!

Sorry Rodney, only just heard your cry from sometime in April. It's Malta's laid back attitude - took me this long to wake up and hear it!

YES, I am still here. One year now!!!! How is everyone??????? Jasper, can you give me a quick rundown before I disappear again please - life too exciting and too much fun for me to spend time on here (sorry!). And of course, I am disappointed, not one of you that knew me have come to visit me yet!!! What's up with that? Sorry again Jasper - never did get that scarf knitted for you, but I am thinking I have plenty of time before the next cold snap hits you

Really hope everyone is happy and well, whether you made it back to the UK or not, whether you changed plans or not - just do what your intuition tells you and the Universe will take care of the rest!!!

Rodney, I'll send you a pm.

ciao ciao xxxx Malta rocks!!!
Anna I am so happy to hear from you again, its been a while huh? I cant believe u already been in Malta for a year ---- I know u went back to England and spent a couple of weeks or so with sister and then back to Malta again --- Are u considering staying in Malta? and living there permanent?
One day I would love to visit you, I told you I would didn't I Im thinking about sometime in January or February for a couple of weeks, whats the weather like then?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Welcome back to Belfast Denise! I would love to know where is your neighborhood?
thank you Celticspirit I am in the Four Winds area, in a development called Primrose Hill, lovely and quiet, yet close to Forestside SHopping Centre it is a lovely residentail area, just off the Saintfield Road. We are approx 4 miles from the centre of Belfast/Lisburn and 20 minutes from Newcastle and the Mountains of Mourne. Also close to the M1 and can be in Dublin in 1 1/2 hours so very central. My husband and I got a great hotel break for Dublin
on 26th-29th June in a 4 star hotel with spa and golf course for £125 for the 2 of us for the three nights stay, there are great bargains to be had at the
moment Hope you are keeping well yourself, any chance you will get back home soon? Denise
Old May 17th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

My name is Maria Honora.

Thank you.

Maria Honora
Hi Maria and welcome, it is so much harder for those of us who are retired and have moved to anothe country to make friends, i also think in your mothers case the language barrier would probably hold her back a little bit, (as I found the same when we tried Spain for 5 weeks to check it out, and I found the language barrier too much for me.) The only things I can think of are as someone else said the Library have a lot of information about whats going on around like drama groups, Internet lessons for mature people, things like that, but one other thing you might consider is bus toursA friend of my mothers did this when she lost her husband, not only did she make a friend from Scotland and they started booking the same tours together, but they visited each other as well, it was great for her and she met so many people on these coach tours she loved it, just a thought to get her started and more self confident in her language, you could go on one with her to start. Anyway just a thought hope she settles soon and makes friends as it can be very lonely regards and all the best, Denise
Old May 17th 2011, 11:49 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Maria, you may be able to find other Spanish people around, and that would be pleasant for your mother.

It is early days, but I wonder why she decided to move here instead of selling the house and buying something she likes on the coast in Spain. I think moving to a country where one doesn't speak the language is very hard.

Bev
Old May 17th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dontheturner....Would love to see a picture of the greenhouse when its in full swing. Your lovely wife seems to have settled in very well. Is there anything you miss and does your wife miss her family or is it to soon for that. Are you close enough to the shops to walk or is it a case of car or bus.

A question for all those who have made it back home. How are you dealing with dentists. That is one area my family really get annoyed about. The price of a visit and cost of having anything done. By the way trying to find a dentist has been really hard for my friend who just went back to the UK. Most are not taking new patients.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Dontheturner....Would love to see a picture of the greenhouse when its in full swing. Your lovely wife seems to have settled in very well. Is there anything you miss and does your wife miss her family or is it to soon for that. Are you close enough to the shops to walk or is it a case of car or bus.
A question for all those who have made it back home. How are you dealing with dentists. That is one area my family really get annoyed about. The price of a visit and cost of having anything done. By the way trying to find a dentist has been really hard for my friend who just went back to the UK. Most are not taking new patients.
Hello TT, I shall try to load a greenhouse shot, but the tomatoes are growning at such a rate, I am sure she has Buddha helping her , they are way up the sticks, and starting to flower. (as are the Runner beans and the Potatoes ) Tim speaks to her daughters, most weeks for a little while, and they also ring us. the eldest ''Cake'' speaks to my daughter too.- By the way, according to the Shropshire Star, evening newspaper, House prices are rising here, and a 3 or 4 bed is now averaging at £230,000. The coming weekend, is due to be hot and sunny again. Love You, Don
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-tomatoes-greenhouse.jpg  
Old May 17th 2011, 3:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello TT, I shall try to load a greenhouse shot, but the tomatoes are growning at such a rate, I am sure she has Buddha helping her , they are way up the sticks, and starting to flower. (as are the Runner beans and the Potatoes ) Tim speaks to her daughters, most weeks for a little while, and they also ring us. the eldest ''Cake'' speaks to my daughter too.- By the way, according to the Shropshire Star, evening newspaper, House prices are rising here, and a 3 or 4 bed is now averaging at £230,000. The coming weekend, is due to be hot and sunny again. Love You, Don
Well done Tim, you can send her by my place to whip my yard into shape as soon as you like. So far we have one Pumpkin plant and it's still alive, I have the black thumb of death.
Old May 17th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dontheturner...Say it isnt so........House prices rising thats awful Here they are getting worse. The report on housing said that nothing is improving. We just have to keep going. I have been working in the garden even in the drizzle yesterday. I just need to keep the garden in top shape just in case someone wants to look at the place. Thankfully I planted perennials over the past years and they just keep coming back each year. All I have to do is feed them and in some case divide and move. Cheaper than buying new plants. But all work. We have 3 acres so it gets to be very tiring at time. I do love my garden but cant wait to have a nice small area. Those tomato plants look very healthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.