Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
yes but when 'they' are the moderators and owners of the site there really is no point?
Excuse me? What on earth are you talking about? The moderators have been asked to moderate the forums to ensure that a) spammers don't take over; b) bad language is kept to a minimum a) the rules are kept to ensure that EVERYONE is happy; d) to attempt to keep threads on topic for the satisfaction of the vast majority - in other words, to ensure the smooth running of a massive discussion board. Moderators do NOT own the site. . The site used to be owned by Sue and Paul (Admin). They sold the site a few years back to IB who have nothing to do with the running of the site or the rules. Mods volunteer their time, to put back what they've got out in the past. We don't do it to irritate or annoy. What is this 'they'? I honestly don't understand.

I or any mod or Sue would be happy to have a conversation about what you perceive any problems to be via PM. I would hate for anyone to leave the site because of an imagined problem. That would be a shame in my book.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I or any mod or Sue would be happy to have a conversation about what you perceive any problems to be via PM. I would hate for anyone to leave the site because of an imagined problem. That would be a shame in my book.
I thought she want to go because posts have been removed: or did I misunderstand that? I don't think that is an "imagined problem".
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I thought she want to go because posts have been removed: or did I misunderstand that? I don't think that is an "imagined problem".
But nothing has been 'removed'. Some posts have been 'moved' to the 'chit chat' thread but it's all still here. That's why I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that there were other 'perceived problems'.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I mod another site - also for no money - and it's a thankless task. Sometimes you have to step in to try and keep some people happy and by doing that you inflame others.

But if you allow posters to fight and argue with your modding decisions on the boards, your thread gets even more off track than it was before you stepped in. So it's fair to ask people to take their concerns with mods to PM.

In the end, the reason this forum works so well, is so popular, and isn't full of spam is because some people give up their free time and volunteer to be mods. And I think most of them show the patience of saints to be honest.

That said, I do see that one particular Mod was a little bit inflammatory ("I don't think I'm a Mod, I am one and you might care to remember that") and that never helps. But honestly, I've had those moments when modding. Sometimes you just get sick of doing a thankless task that you're not even being paid for and then getting insulted for it.

We're all humans with flaws and the world would be a better place if we all remembered that about each other and made a few allowances.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
We will rent for a little while until we get settled, but the problem for me with long-term renting is nothing to do with money and everything to do with the lack of security and the inability to make your home your own.

What happens when you've lived in the house for a few years and you love it and then the landlord decides he wants to sell up? The idea of being forced to move is horrible. And I'd hate to never be able to knock down a wall, or change the flooring, or dig a new flower bed just because the house doesn't belong to me.

In other news, we're definitely going home!! We've had some long chats the last few days and we're shooting for putting the house up for sale in late summer/Fall next year, and moving the following Spring, whether or not it has sold. The plan is dependent on us being able to save up enough money by then to have a bit of a cushion. If we don't have it, we'll push the move back one year.

But I am going home!! Time to get planning
Thats the spirit Sally, keep that going, and as soon as you can make a date to leave do it, ----- as far as Im concerned the only way I could have made this a reality for me was I had to book and pay for my ticket, then I had a date that I could not break ----- WOULD not break, I booked my ticket in February of last year ----- to leave on November 30th, I got home December 1st last year, I love it here --- I really do, ----- and the decision to come home for me was definitely the best one I have made, so if you book flight 10 months before you go or a year ---- thats fine cause then you will have that nice long time to get ready to leave,if one has a house to sell then obviously that would be the main thing that would prevent people from setting a date to leave ---- and theres lots of people on here with that problem.
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I mod another site - also for no money - and it's a thankless task. Sometimes you have to step in to try and keep some people happy and by doing that you inflame others.

But if you allow posters to fight and argue with your modding decisions on the boards, your thread gets even more off track than it was before you stepped in. So it's fair to ask people to take their concerns with mods to PM.

In the end, the reason this forum works so well, is so popular, and isn't full of spam is because some people give up their free time and volunteer to be mods. And I think most of them show the patience of saints to be honest.

That said, I do see that one particular Mod was a little bit inflammatory ("I don't think I'm a Mod, I am one and you might care to remember that") and that never helps. But honestly, I've had those moments when modding. Sometimes you just get sick of doing a thankless task that you're not even being paid for and then getting insulted for it.

We're all humans with flaws and the world would be a better place if we all remembered that about each other and made a few allowances.
Well said Sally, and I think most of us do appreciate our Mods, thanks Moneypenny, Pollyanna, Sue and all.

I have been a mod too a while ago and as you say it is pretty thankless at times.

So thanks guys (how Australian of me ) for a job well done.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:52 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

A poster was asked to abide by the rules, nothing more, nothing less. We have Site Rules in place in order that the forum is kept as useful to everyone as possible. Compared to many other sites we don't actually have that many rules (although I'm sure some will disagree ). It's a shame that a member wants to leave over one post that was removed, but it was removed as per our site rule and if said person wants to leave that is their prerogative.

Just to add that we ask people not to get into discussion on the open forum for two reasons: One it derails threads and takes them waaayyyyy offff topic (as in the case here ) and two, because moderators are volunteers (and whilst we understand that not everyone agrees with site posting rules or having moderators help enforce those rules) out of courtesy of their time we ask that such discussions take place in private. I am always open to people's thoughts and opinions but I don't think it's fair of anyone to take their own personal gripe with something onto a public thread and drag everyone else into the discussion, when all they want to do is discuss the intricacies of moving back to the UK. So lets draw a line under this and if anyone wishes to continue this topic they are welcome to do so with me via Private Message. Thanks.

Sue in a very wet and soggy North Carolina today
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Sue in a very wet and soggy North Carolina today
Thanks Sue for the explanation.

Barb on a glorious, gorgeous, sunny spring day in t' grim Northern town LOL!!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Sue for the explanation.

Barb on a glorious, gorgeous, sunny spring day in t' grim Northern town LOL!!
Yes I hear it's lovely over there at the moment .... I'm so jealous

I miss Easter eggs and the bluebells big time at this time of year. So please have an egg for me.

Plus everyone gets an extra day off next year too
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Yes I hear it's lovely over there at the moment .... I'm so jealous

I miss Easter eggs and the bluebells big time at this time of year. So please have an egg for me.
Have these on me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l2f1/47...5912/lightbox/

My garden is full of bluebells, I assume they arrived in bird droppings (parrots maybe?)

I'll eat an extra easter egg for you too.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Have these on me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l2f1/47...5912/lightbox/

My garden is full of bluebells, I assume they arrived in bird droppings (parrots maybe?)

I'll eat an extra easter egg for you too.
Nice pics of Lullingstone and Eynsford! Used to live in Sevenoaks and really haven't seen anything from around Eynsford since I left in 1975.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Trotty it must be so depressing. Hang in there and someone will come along who just loves the house and the location.

I'm wondering what we should spend money on here before we try to sell. There is so much that could use improving and we simply don't have the money to do it all. One of the bathrooms is ancient (and turquoise!!) which hasn't mattered to us because it's only for guests but would matter to a family buying the house. The kitchen cabinets really need upgrading. Some of the rooms need decorating. The hardwood floors throughout the house could really do with refinishing. And some of the old sash windows don't close properly. I reckon you could easily sink $150K+ into this house, but I don't have anything like that to spend.

I'd love to know what you guys think. We can probably do one of the following:

- replace all the kitchen cabinets and countertops with IKEA stuff, or
- pull out the old-fashioned 2nd bathroom and replace it with a modern one, or
- have all the rooms painted, hardwood floors refinished and broken windows fixed.

If it was your choice, which would you do? I'm leaning towards the third just because I think the hardwood floors could be a real selling point if they're refreshed and because it feels as though I'll get more bang for my buck by doing that, but I'd love advice or opinions.
I don't know about the US market, but if the house was in the UK and I went to view it I wouldn't mind that hardwood floors needed re-finishing, I would just be so pleased that the house had hardwood floors. If the windows were fixed and the bathroom changed to inexpensive white suite and white tiles and nice towels put in there then that is what I would do. Painting is easy for a new owner, and would be to their taste and hardwood floors are a massive plus, and potential owners would know they could easily be refinished. Would it work to paint the kitchen cabinets? that is what I am doing in my house, painting wooden cabinets cream and replacing the handles - hey presto modernised kitchen on the cheap,
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

oldbritgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Short term accommodation in Manchester, the website says they will even arrange transfers from the airport to their properties:

http://www.thepropertyoctopus.co.uk/index.html

I have not used this service nor do I know more than what it says on the website but it seems pretty good value for money in the short term, especially for those who have no family to go back to.
Thanks for this link, I'll be staying with a friend in Sale but dont want to outstay my welcome. Following your flat hunt with interest.
I have about 15 boxes and as many bags outside in the rain, covered with a tarp waiting to be picked up by a charity shop today, hope they come!!!
Put cds, tapes and LP's (that we brought over in 89, forgot I had them!!) on Craigslist last night and someone has just bought them. Having a yard sale tomorrow so gradually things are going and I'll be on my way in less than 2 weeks.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Would it work to paint the kitchen cabinets? that is what I am doing in my house, painting wooden cabinets cream and replacing the handles - hey presto modernised kitchen on the cheap,
I wish - they are those horrid 80s cabinets with a kind of vinyl frontage and wood tops. I don't think we can paint that stuff without making it look even worse.

Thanks for the input on the bathroom. It seems everyone agrees on the windows, which is good to know. We may get those done this year if we can afford it and that might cut down the utility bills. I'm terrified of someone asking to see those!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 22nd 2011 at 4:04 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:03 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by oldbritgirl
Thanks for this link, I'll be staying with a friend in Sale but dont want to outstay my welcome. Following your flat hunt with interest.
I have about 15 boxes and as many bags outside in the rain, covered with a tarp waiting to be picked up by a charity shop today, hope they come!!!
Put cds, tapes and LP's (that we brought over in 89, forgot I had them!!) on Craigslist last night and someone has just bought them. Having a yard sale tomorrow so gradually things are going and I'll be on my way in less than 2 weeks.
Wow, so exciting!! Two short weeks

Best of luck to you and I can't wait for your updates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.