Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
OK I cannot help but laugh.We have so many moderators in here today you cant move for them. There coming out of the woodwork. I've had a rotten day but this made me laugh and jaspers rant
It's an internet spanking, behave you lot!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheers
thank you but you had better hurry because if you don't we'll have to include the 80's
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's an internet spanking, behave you lot!
Yes...much like the nuns of yesteryear that whacked your hands with the ruler!

Oooops...OUCH! there's that darn ruler again. OK, I'm sorry I just had to say that...the petulant child that I am... SWAT...OUCH...again. Now sitting in the corner licking my wounds.

Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It can be called whatever you like; a fresh new thread will be the perfect place to do that (this one is getting very long and full again, which hinders its usefulness as an information resource). If you want a new title on this one, you can ask the forum moderators (named at the bottom of the forum main page IE Moving Back to the UK) or you can contact the site administrator Sue any time with your requests. I recommend that you don't nominate jasper123 to contact aka 'hanging judge Sue' with your friendly requests though.

I think the important thing to forum harmony is to have a thread that can stay on topic and be a resource. Factual data in one thread, hugs love support etc in another. The problems come about when people will not navigate out of one thread and into another. Write the posts in the 'right' thread and there's not problem. Politics etc go into the Take It Outside forum (it's not a topic for polite company) just as sports go into their forum etc. It seems to be a problem of personal discipline; when everyone agrees to the guidelines, things work just fine. Working for greater societal good, you could even say.

If your group of participants has moved on from the practical aspect of the move, your thread is for chit chat, which is fine, as long as you're not pretending it is something else. As someone in your target age range, I wouldn't read through 400+ pages of chat to find out where to rent a flat or get my utilities turned on again (or whatever other practical info you were sharing here). So I'd suggest you choose your topic for what the majority want to discuss. When there are other questions or topics, a new thread is the way to go.END

I am actually glad we have moderators, it helps keep things a bit organized. This comment of meauxna's is helpful, as other mod comments have been.

An important point,though, re this "moving back 50s and 60s" (which I agree would be better renamed 50+) thread, is that is has always been more than merely practical.

I think I'm correct in saying that right from the start it has been a place where people wondering about whether or not to go back could post their thoughts and feelings about this often conflicted situation.

Therefore people appear here in all their vulnerability. That's why some of us feel passionate about the original supportive atmosphere of the thread and think it would be nice if it could remain a "safe" place and not get too political and polemical.

I have always understood that the main 50s & 60s thread includes discussion of the emotional side of it all.

For example, one of the most-frequently asked questions from the beginning has been the very important one of how to cope with the idea of leaving behind adult children and grandchildren. This is a huge part of the "moving back" issue though it may be more emotional than purely "factual".

Also, when people do move back and give us their very helpful reports, as ED and DDL did for so long, they include their emotional reactions to the move, change, return--something we want to know about just as much as the price of rice!

So, mods, I trust it is ok to continue discussing that sort of important emotional topic on the main 50s & 60s (plus!) thread, along with practical stuff, as has been done from the start?

On the other hand, I do agree that chitchat about TV shows, foods, vague (not specific) property dreams, cars, weather, as well as anti-USA or anywhere rants, and detailed healthcare discussions, are better elsewhere....

How to separate out the factual from the "support" is very difficult!
And yet Meauxna you make a good point, someone looking for factual info might find it hard to dig up...
It's complicated, which is why I am glad there are mods, who are trying to make the forum work at its best for everyone!

QUOTE from moneypenny20: You can't keep track? Simply click on 'My Profile' on the pink toolbar and every thread you've posted on will appear, it's as easy as that. END QUOTE

This too is helpful--I didn't know that!

Tina
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
I do as much as I can for the environment, this being one of them. Better to use water you have collected yourself (as previously mentioned 'cos better for the plants) it has not had to be purified and put back into the system. Where I live we are encouraged to recycle so many different materials, use a composter, use a water butt (I think you can buy them cheaply from the water companys, or you used to be able to). I dry my clothes on a clothes line, rather than using the dryer (when I can) and am always trying to go 'back to basics'. I pick up litter in the countryside when I am out walking. This is a small country, we need to take care of it.
Thta's great MNandMN. Me too. So do I take it that Leicester is a city that is encouraging these ideas? Is the recycling curbside or do they have a recycling centre?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
thank you but you had better hurry because if you don't we'll have to include the 80's
By the way, I really loved those Cornwall photos. Beautiful Thanks.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I cannot help but laugh.We have so many moderators in here today you cant move for them. There coming out of the woodwork. I've had a rotten day but this made me laugh and jaspers rant
Oh there's stacks more than just the odd few who've posted today, I can drag them all in to say hi if you like.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:37 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

That's Rodney's second rant! He's got all feisty since he moved back to Pompey! I love it.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Excuse me what the heck is going on here? how many moderators do we have on this forum, OK Ive seen the hanging Judge Sue, and over the last week or two there have been quite a few cropping up out of the wood work and now a silly comment from someone who calls himself a moderator called iaink or laink or something, never seen him before, ---- hey Fish or Don do you guys want to be a moderator? I wouldn't mind it I guess, I wonder what it pays?
Why dont we all call ourselves moderators and if someone moves our post we will just move it right back again.
Oh just to have that POWER !!!!!!
Rodney.
If this thread gets more attention than most its because its required more intervention than most and is now "On the Radar"
The list of moderators in any forum is at the bottom right of the index page. Then there are a couple of "super mods" and Sue, who have a more roving brief. Who responds to any reported post largely depends on time zones and whos online at the time.

I dont call myself a moderator, I am a moderator (you might want to remember that) You may call me Iain. I have 440 posts in this forum and Ive been a mod here for nearly 2 years, and in the Canada area for longer. Thanks for noticing a more hands off approach

Its simple. The sticky post entitled "Tolerance and Understanding", explains the position very well.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 20th 2011 at 1:11 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh there's stacks more than just the odd few who've posted today, I can drag them all in to say hi if you like.
moneypenny - I love the cookbook in the footer of your posts. What a terrific collection of recipes and the links in the pdf go directly to the recipe post in the forum
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Excuse me what the heck is going on here? how many moderators do we have on this forum, OK Ive seen the hanging Judge Sue, and over the last week or two there have been quite a few cropping up out of the wood work and now a silly comment from someone who calls himself a moderator called iaink or laink or something, never seen him before, ---- hey Fish or Don do you guys want to be a moderator? I wouldn't mind it I guess, I wonder what it pays?
Why dont we all call ourselves moderators and if someone moves our post we will just move it right back again.
Oh just to have that POWER !!!!!!
Rodney.
Nope, not a hanging judge, just someone who is on the receiving end of all the complaints over this thread. Complainants contact us asking if we can do something about all the chit-chat/off-topic posts, and then when we do act we get complaints about that. So you see we are in a loose-loose situation.

Myself and the other mods have practically begged everyone to keep on topic, and to keep the chit-chat to a minimum, but our requests keep falling on deaf ears (or maybe eyes as we are all typing ). To be honest I'm worn out with trying to keep everyone happy.

So from now on no more posts will be moved from this thread. If you want this thread to remain useful to you all then I suggest you try and keep each other on topic, and maybe tactfully suggest to any off-topicers that they post in this thread

So over to you .....
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thta's great MNandMN. Me too. So do I take it that Leicester is a city that is encouraging these ideas? Is the recycling curbside or do they have a recycling centre?
Our recycling boxes are emptied weekly or you can take them to the tip yourself. They have just included aerosol cans and foil trays into the recycling programme. Plastic bottles have to be taken to the recycling centre, but there are lots of collection points. I have never seen such an organised tip, everything has to be sorted into specific skips and so much is recycled now. Councils are measured on their recycling rate, so it is competitive between different areas. Makes me feel good too to do it.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
That's Rodney's second rant! He's got all feisty since he moved back to Pompey! I love it.

Maybe we should start calling him Rocky!!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Maybe we should start calling him Rocky!!
Hey Rocky!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Yes he has!!!! Ha ha ha!!! He is one of my favorite people here - so honest and sincere.

We love you, Rodney!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.