Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thank you for the correction. Since we're all Brits I didn't get that specific.

I'm sure you're right about the cuts. The conservatives have always wanted to dismantle the NHS and they will take another good whack at it over the next few years under the guise of deficit reduction. But whatever they do, they won't manage to create a system as unfair and cruel as the one here.
I totally agree Sally...
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I think the new rules for the NHS will be better for the British. Those that choose to live abroad for 6 months can now still have free NHS. Those Brits that come home, get free NHS. The cuts are aimed at non-EU citizens.
That would be good for me and Id truly appreciate it, I plan on working till I'm at least 70 its not like Im stood there with my hand out...
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I understand. This is important research for all of us. We don't want to find ourselves out on the streets over there
Believe me Wind, that would NEVER happen over here.

A few years back I was in Los Angeles and was absolutely gobsmacked at the number of bag people/shopping trolley people I saw early one morning in a public park, this WILL NOT happen in the UK, over here we look after our own.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers ---- not to put a damper on your budget or anything BUT £75 per week for rent? thats only £300 per month, a one bedroom flat would run you double that much in most parts of the U.K. and that would be without council tax eek: ----- unless you and wife dont mind shareisharing bedroom apartment with someone else, but you would both have to sleep on the floor in the living room
LoL, Nice one Rodney... Im guessing Mrs Cheers might not go for that...
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya

A few years back I was in Los Angeles and was absolutely gobsmacked at the number of bag people/shopping trolley people I saw early one morning in a public park, this WILL NOT happen in the UK, over here we look after our own.
We have always had beggers here in Oregon, but over the last few years they are are everywhere, Loads of them, they live out of shopping carts, they sit at traffic lights begging, thats Freedom for you and the new American dream.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Amen Bee. I totally agree. Not only that, my parents have lived here all of their lives and never claimed any kind of benefits. So as their daughter they feel like I am entitled to them, although I am not getting any, as I much prefer to work. As for the NHS, I will be paying into that in all the years to come. I had my surgery in the US because I didnt want to "freeload" off of the British public. Now that I am back, I will be useing it . I know I have more right to do so, than many of the people I see walking around over here.
Jackie.

Agreed Jackie, my mum and dad worked over here all their lives as do all my family including me and my (ex) husband for the years we lived and worked here and I don't see anything bad to feel about that I am claiming Jobseeker's Allowance at the paltry sum of £65.00 per week.

I have not had any reason to use the NHS yet, but if I come to that time, I will do so.

I am not some freeloader sponging off Government benefits, I am somebody actively looking for work, living here again permanently and looking to contribute to this country..........and if you don't like it then go and look at others to pick on like EEU migrants who have made no contribution to this country at all and are probably more entitled than me...................
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by formula
I use to live in Wales and it is a beautiful country. Despite all the rain Wales has, the water rates were very high. You might want to check those, to add to your budget.

Oh, and don't forget to make an offer. Nobody pays the asking price.
If you are buying a house, rather than renting, it is usually cheaper to have a water meter than pay the high water rates. For a single person it would definately be cheaper, it is for us as a couple for us. All newer houses have them it is law now, but you can have one installed in an older house.

It is also usually cheaper to heat a newer build house, due to insulation standards which are really good now. Our gas bill for a largish 4 bed house is £50 per month averaged out over twelve payments, a lot less than our last house which was built over 100 years ago and had two bay windows (they make rooms very cold, due to being single brick - so my builder told me when I complained when I couldn't keep the rooms with bay windows warm in winter)

Just food for thought for those who will be moving back soon and looking to buy a house - new houses are boring, but being warm is lovely.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I hope you are right, Barb. I really do.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
We have always had beggers here in Oregon, but over the last few years they are are everywhere, Loads of them, they live out of shopping carts, they sit at traffic lights begging, thats Freedom for you and the new American dream.
I know. I see them all the time at the ramps where you enter the highways - and even on the city streets in the small towns. Breaks my heart! The reality is, though, that many of us are on a downward slide (not slope but "slide") in this country and that could be where we will end up unless something changes. Change in America is many years off, I fear.

Many would say these people are mentally ill - or drug addicts. While that may be true in some cases, it is still no excuse. If they are mentally ill, get them help. If they are drug addicts, get them help. They are human beings, first and foremost.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

.and if you don't like it then go and look at others to pick on like EEU migrants who have made no contribution to this country at all and are probably more entitled than me...................
I hope we one day get to a point where we don't point fingers at anyone. Immigrants are always the hardest working people in any country - and always the most maligned at the same time. I guess people just need someone to resent.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
LoL, Nice one Rodney... Im guessing Mrs Cheers might not go for that...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28950742.html
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

The occasional taxis which were in the budget for special trips to/from the supermarket will not be an issue as we wouldn't be able to pronounce the street let alone the town.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:46 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I guess people just need someone to resent.
On reading through today's posts it seems almost like reading the Daily Mail. There are the dole scroungers, anti-immigrants, anti-Americans, anti-big US corporations, crooked doctors, bad medical care, homeless people, World War III against America - pretty typical for a bunch of whinging Brits eh!! Only thing not mentioned is the weather!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Rodney is on US social security..he can tell you..
Thx, Jackie..
Well, Rodney...help an ole lady out here?!?

Chris
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mallory
Only thing not mentioned is the weather!
LOL!!! Well let me whine to you about the weather here!! Woke up this morning to see a light covering of snow on the garage roofs and on the grass and in the low 30's! This just ain't right!! Normally this time of year we are in the 50's and some 60's. Right now it's 40 degrees...

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.