Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Sorry about your cat.....but WONDERFUL that your husband asked this question!

The vet prescribed valium for our cat when she flew (in the cabin) from USA to France.
Actually my husband said it didn't seem to have much of an effect...he (DH) may have been extra careful with the dose as she is very small (Cornish Rex.) She cried a lot (in business class--overnight flight--thank God I wasn't there, I would have been mortified!)--but then, one doesn't know how much worse she would have been without the valium!!!

It was probably because she couldn't see anything when her carrier was under the seat--as soon as he got on train in France and she could see, she just looked around with interest!

She's getting on--14 in November. Has settled down fine.

Tina.
So you were allowed to take her in the cabin on an international flight from USA to Europe??
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So today we had to take one of our cats into the hospital He won't eat and it's a long story - but anyway, while we were there, my husband suddenly out of the blue asked the vet if he is qualified to prepare pets for travel to the UK. You could have knocked me over!

We chatted about the process and then my husband asked about sedatives for the flight. The vet gave the usual answer about how most sedatives can cause the animal's blood pressure to fall and so they're not recommended for flying. But then he said that valium is OK as it doesn't have the same effect.

Has anyone else heard this?

ETA: This is not chit-chat. I would like to know if anyone else has heard that it's OK to give cats valium before a flight.

Oh Sally, so sorry about kitty. I do hope he will be okay.

Yes, I have heard of valium being given to animals before a flight. The vet gave it to me once when I was transporting a cat from California after my mother died.

PS: Looks as if hubby is beginning to get ready )
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
So you were allowed to take her in the cabin on an international flight from USA to Europe??

Yes, sorry if you didn't see this before (well, many posts ago) when I explained it!

Air France does allow you to bring pets in the cabin with you on certain flights--to FRANCE.

(If you then want to import them into the Uk, that is another whole complicated thing--I don't know if it is easier to bring pets into UK from continental Europe than from USA, you'd have to investigate--but I doubt it.)

Pet has to have certain papers, chip, rabies shots, exam by vet and then a form approved by US Dept of Agriculture official. Must be small enough to go in a soft-walled carrier of certain dimensions. On Air France, you have to call on the phone to make sure cat (or whatever) can fly on a given flight. It costs $200 or so.

But I don't know how relevant any of this is for those wanting to go back to UK! As I say, bringing animals into UK from wherever means different rules.

Tina
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? has all the old posters given up on this site? all I see here lately posting is windsong, pistolpete, and the real trooper CHEERS,
Where are you all--- I miss you all, please dont give up on this thread,
Fish, taffy, barb, jackie, dunroving, sallysimmons, where are you all?, and what happened to Dontheturner who left Thialand a while ago with with his wife Tim? and trotty where are you, come on everyone --- if your feeling down come on here again and we can cheer each other up like we used to,
and DDL/Denise and Tony where are you lost in London? and my and everyones hero and brave woman who has been strong ever since she has been in Scotland and my true inspiration (Ed/easterndawn/pegie) where are you? and is hubby and doggies going to still be with you in July?
and all you other real great friends of mine --- where did you go?
PLEASE COME BACK, we had such a lot of fun together and we helped and encouraged each other all the time didn't we!!! ---- how can you just forget all of that, and where are you Anna? are you still in Malta?
Rodney.
Im still around Rodney, not as much as before but I check in once in a while
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Im still around Rodney, not as much as before but I check in once in a while
Have you started the job Jackie? Let us know how it's going.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
PS: They aren't related to the "actual move" and "getting settled". Is that why? Just trying to understand so I can stick to the rules
Yes, that's it.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Yes, that's it.
But I don't think they are "Silly Chit Chat" and I do feel they are relevant to where to move to, still part of this topic.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue
Yes, that's it.
Thanks, Sue. Will do my best.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
But I don't think they are "Silly Chit Chat" and I do feel they are relevant to where to move to, still part of this topic.
I know. There's definitely a gray area but if I am not sure where to post, I think i will put it in silly chit chat. Same situation is going to happen on the chit chat forum now, I think. Much better to narrow down by subject, though.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons..We have used valium on our dogs not to fly but for long journeys and they did well just make sure to get the dosage correct and give if just prior to flying. Take one yourself if you feel the need
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by black swan
I have seen 'rent to buy' houses in Newark, Nottinghamshire.
They do a lot of 'shared ownership' houses in the UK, the only way some people can get onto the property ladder. You buy a percentage of the house e.g. 50% and rent the other half, you then have the option to buy more of a share later. It helps some people who can only get a smaller mortgage because of their salary or circumstances, but who can afford to pay a smaller amount of rental on the rest of the value. Look at shared ownership properties on Rightmove.co.uk. It is not for everyone, and is generally new properties.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:26 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! No wonder people are complaining of price of car insurance! It's really gone up this past year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...in-a-year.html
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Mallory....We just re-did our car insurance and its $606 a year. I am not sure my OH will be able to afford to drive in the UK with the cost of petrol and insurance we will have to rely on buses. I am not sure he will go for that.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mallory....We just re-did our car insurance and its $606 a year. I am not sure my OH will be able to afford to drive in the UK with the cost of petrol and insurance we will have to rely on buses. I am not sure he will go for that.
DH will have to hire you a chauffeur!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Wow! No wonder people are complaining of price of car insurance! It's really gone up this past year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...in-a-year.html

In the comments somebody has recommended SAGA for the over 50's, I have bookmarked this, thanks Mallory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.