Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Dunroving...My friend just moved back to the UK from the US and bought a house that needed updating, her main aggrivation was the amount of money some of the contractors wanted for doing jobs. She said it was riduculous. Fortunately her husband is fairly young so he was able to do the job himself although its taking quite a while to do it but for almost one third of the price they were quoted.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomarto
Almost! A US citizen can get an Irish passport based on the maternal parent. I know someone who was married to a US citizen who has an Irish mother. She was able to get an Irish passport and the right to work in the EU.
Well, yes. This surely also applies to everyone who has one British parent--and therefore to the children of many forum members.

My kids, US citizens because of their American father, can get British passport, and the right to work in the EU based on their British mother, me. One of the three has successfully done this recently.

Tina
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh cry me a river, executives! Poor wickle rich boys having to pay taxes. Boo-hoo!

Instead of finding ways to cut their taxes, we should be finding ways to make them pay what they owe, IMHO. Right now the rest of us are carrying the burden while the fat cats find ways to evade taxation - and then get the media to run stories pushing for even less taxes! Unbelievable!
Absolutely True...
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the points that was brought out is they have a responsibility to their stockholders.

Who are their stockholders? Pension funds? ...............
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Dunroving...My friend just moved back to the UK from the US and bought a house that needed updating, her main aggrivation was the amount of money some of the contractors wanted for doing jobs. She said it was riduculous. Fortunately her husband is fairly young so he was able to do the job himself although its taking quite a while to do it but for almost one third of the price they were quoted.
I was surprised at how many contractors either didn't turn up when scheduled to give a quote, or didn't bother sending the quote. I'd have thought in the current economy they'd be struggling for business and want to show reliability, but I think a lot of people are improving their houses rather than selling and moving up. The contractors around here certainly don't seem to be short of work.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

between two worlds....My daughter was asking me the other day how hard would it be for her to get a British Passport. She is thinking of applying for one so I take if from your reply that is was not at all difficult. My children are the same as yours American father but they were all born in the UK.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
between two worlds....My daughter was asking me the other day how hard would it be for her to get a British Passport. She is thinking of applying for one so I take if from your reply that is was not at all difficult. My children are the same as yours American father but they were all born in the UK.
Piece of cake I would say. The big thing is they were born in the UK.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Well, yes. This surely also applies to everyone who has one British parent--and therefore to the children of many forum members.

My kids, US citizens because of their American father, can get British passport, and the right to work in the EU based on their British mother, me. One of the three has successfully done this recently.

Tina
Tina...this is exactly my circumstance as well. Am hoping my children will do as one of yours has now done. I think it's a great opportunity for our American-born children to avail themselves of.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dunroving... I know here in this part of the world its really hard to get someone to come and do work for you they are either total idiots or very expensive. I wish you could have seen the man who installed the ladder to the attic and a floor. He wondered why my OH got annoyed with him when the plaster started falling from the ceiling in the kitchen below and one of the celing lights fell down.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Even if you can do it yourself, or afford to pay someone else, it can be very unsettling having ongoing repairs. I spent every summer in the first 3 years here having this house repaired, replastered, etc. and the house was disrupted to some extent the whole time. If it wasn't plaster dust everywhere (and I mean EVERYwhere!), it was lost leave time through having to be around when the workmen were here, or constantly moving stuff from one room to another.
I sympathize. We had a bathroom done last year and I couldn't breath for the dust. I think if we bought a house that needed work, we'd buy one at a low enough price that we could stay in a rental while it was being done. (Famous last words! )
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Trotty, others...Question here, please...off topic of totally returning to the UK. I can understand about wanting to keep this great forum, for the sole purpose of returning to the UK by those in their 50's and 60's, travelling arrangements, selling, buying and/or renting of real estate and sharing of costs/info associated with a 'return'. But the real likelihood for me returning, is but a distant dream...my 4 kids and 6 grandchildren are here and I can't envision my life without them...certainly not 3,000 miles away.

My question...On BE, is there a general chit-chat forum, for the 50-60+ crowd? I so enjoying posting back and forth with others...but can see where this specific thread, can go off the rails. I know I certainly would enjoy a forum, where older ex-pats could simply talk about anything and everything, who knows might even have known each other from another place, another life or possibly even be related! Is there one like this on BE? If not, how does one begin one and would others appreciate such a forum? I know I certainly would. I don't believe I have seen one for the 50-60+ crowd.
But if there is...I would most appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Chris

Last edited by chriswinter; Mar 28th 2011 at 8:06 pm. Reason: to add
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:12 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
My question...On BE, is there a general chit-chat forum, for the 50-60+ crowd? I so enjoying posting back and forth with others...but can see where this specific thread, can go off the rails. I know I certainly would enjoy a forum, where older ex-pats could simply talk about anything and everything, who knows might even have known each other from another place, another life or possibly even be related! Is there one like this on BE? If not, how does one begin one and would others appreciate such a forum? I know I certainly would. I don't believe I have seen one for the 50-60+ crowd.

Chris
Great idea. I don't think there is one. How about starting one Chris!?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Trotty, others...Question here, please...off topic of totally returning to the UK. I can understand about wanting to keep this great forum, for the sole purpose of returning to the UK by those in their 50's and 60's, travelling arrangements, selling, buying and/or renting of real estate and sharing of costs/info associated with a 'return'. But the real likelihood for me returning, is but a distant dream...my 4 kids and 6 grandchildren are here and I can't envision my life without them...certainly not 3,000 miles away.

Chris
Over on Rovers Return I started the 50/60 Chit Chat thread:
OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last Page)
aviva
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

tomarto is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=trottytrue;9270129]So how many of the Newbies on here are in the process of moving back to the UK or are getting ready to put their homes up for sale and start the long process. Just interested to hear.
[\QUOTE]

Hi Trotty,
I think I have the worst scenario:
1. house to sell
2. dog to move with
3. no one to do it with!

Approx. 50% of houses in my area are repossesions. This has lowered the price considerably. The house right across from me was a reposession and was still on the market for 7 months at a very bargain price. I think it finally sold so am anxiously waiting to see the price as this is my comp.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aviva
Over on Rovers Return I started the 50/60 Chit Chat thread:
OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last Page)
aviva
Thank you aviva...much appreciated! I'll be there...or I'll be square!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.