Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
New photos uploaded tonight - Mells, Somerset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

She takes wonderful photographs, doesn't she? Such a great sense of composition. I admit the scenery is spectacular, but still, she's very talented.

I was wondering, hearing so much about all the trash everywhere, does anyone have thoughts about when and why it started? And the "everything is crap" attitude, when and why did that start? Maybe a national SAD because of the weather?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windsong
You're welcome. I believe it's actually a link that Dunroving posted in another thread but I can't remember which one.
I tried that link and it didn't work, any thoughts?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Yet I will never, ever set foot on a cruise ship!
Got a case of Titanicitis?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks Bev...the link to the website was great and now have saved in my Travel Folder. I especially liked that pic on the Home page..the second one..looks like a little thatched roof cottage. I spent several minutes trying to find it there..but had no luck. It seems whenever I move..it's always by water. Either Lake Michigan or the Gulf of Mexico. I need water!!! I find it so calming to stroll along a beach, even in chilly weather. Yet I will never, ever set foot on a cruise ship!
I can understand that. I've always been by the sea. I have discovered though that I prefer 'my' sea off the UK south West coast to any other sea including the one I love by now here in New Zealand. Fussy old mare that I am.

I see what you mean about that cottage pic. Would be a great place to stay.

Another website for the area. Can you tell I am a fan.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Bev.....When I first left the UK I never thought about my Mum and Dad I just cannot explain it even to myself. My Dad was 78 he was 20 years older than my Mum and I was the last of 6 children. He was over 50 when I was born. I just thought he would live forever. Thank heaven I decided to turn tail and run back home when I found out I was pregnant. I spent a very happy year and a half at home had my baby and then my Dad died. But I turned around and did it again 5 years later and left my Mum. She was then 68 she did live till she was 93 and we did have her for holidays every couple of years but I cannot go back and get into my head and understand what I was thinking.

ED...DDL.....Yes we did have fun back at the start of this thread but we were all of one mind supporting one another and helping each other no matter were we where. I am sad for what as happened I see when it began to change but as someone said its not my thread it belongs to all of us and its up to you what you do with it. Use it for benefit to all or just waffle on about who said what and how to annoy.
Like I said before when you have to read through all the posts to read a few good ones its just so time consuming. I am way to tired to be doing that.

Today we had a showing for which I spent the last 2 days cleaning and getting the house ready. I should write a book on the do's and dont's of selling a house. The house was shown by another realter. Ours was too busy showing other houses to come. Now as some of you know I mentioned it a long time ago. I have to little tape recorders that I place in the house. Its amazing what you hear. I did learn that the person that showed the house didnt know much about it and many times could be heard answering questions with "I dont know".
I have decided I am going to write a little phamlet on the house and give information I think relevent to a person wanting to buy . I will leave one each time someone comes to look at the house.
I am so tired I ache in places I didnt think you could plus I have been suffering with a sinus infection so I could have done without all this aggrivation. To top it all after we had made sure to impress on our estate agent that we didnt want people coming to look at the house if they had a house of their own to sell. These people do have a house to sell and the final straw the man said as he was leaving he thought it was a little to far from his work. Its a 30 minute drive
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Bev...What a beautiful website. I try not to look too often at places I want to live it just doesnt help, it makes me unsettled and angry. I find watching some of those programs like Escape to the Country are just not realistic for me. Those homes are priced way above what we could afford. So I would be living in a dream world and I dont need that. I do like the programs that show you different parts of the country.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aviva
Got a case of Titanicitis?
NO! A fear of drowning! ...and I can swim!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I tried that link and it didn't work, any thoughts?
I believe this is the link:

http://www.avatar-moving.com/gh_showarticle.asp?hid=47

I had it saved in my favorites so it should be right.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Bev.....When I first left the UK I never thought about my Mum and Dad I just cannot explain it even to myself. My Dad was 78 he was 20 years older than my Mum and I was the last of 6 children. He was over 50 when I was born. I just thought he would live forever. Thank heaven I decided to turn tail and run back home when I found out I was pregnant. I spent a very happy year and a half at home had my baby and then my Dad died. But I turned around and did it again 5 years later and left my Mum. She was then 68 she did live till she was 93 and we did have her for holidays every couple of years but I cannot go back and get into my head and understand what I was thinking.

ED...DDL.....Yes we did have fun back at the start of this thread but we were all of one mind supporting one another and helping each other no matter were we where. I am sad for what as happened I see when it began to change but as someone said its not my thread it belongs to all of us and its up to you what you do with it. Use it for benefit to all or just waffle on about who said what and how to annoy.
Like I said before when you have to read through all the posts to read a few good ones its just so time consuming. I am way to tired to be doing that.

Today we had a showing for which I spent the last 2 days cleaning and getting the house ready. I should write a book on the do's and dont's of selling a house. The house was shown by another realter. Ours was too busy showing other houses to come. Now as some of you know I mentioned it a long time ago. I have to little tape recorders that I place in the house. Its amazing what you hear. I did learn that the person that showed the house didnt know much about it and many times could be heard answering questions with "I dont know".
I have decided I am going to write a little phamlet on the house and give information I think relevent to a person wanting to buy . I will leave one each time someone comes to look at the house.
I am so tired I ache in places I didnt think you could plus I have been suffering with a sinus infection so I could have done without all this aggrivation. To top it all after we had made sure to impress on our estate agent that we didnt want people coming to look at the house if they had a house of their own to sell. These people do have a house to sell and the final straw the man said as he was leaving he thought it was a little to far from his work. Its a 30 minute drive
Gosh, Trotty, if anyone deserves to get their house sold, it is you. I wish you the very best of luck with it.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Please do this, or at least make a sticky for us returnees who want to sell up. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to getting the house ready to sell. I think the short pamphlet about the house is a brilliant idea. I know it would have helped me out when we were looking I could never remember what it was about certain homes I liked or disliked. A paper with a couple of interior pics and room sizes and other ifo would have been invaluable. and fingers crossed these are the people who want your house,
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Trotty doesn't "own" the thread - she started it. Whilst I am not approving being rude, I do think that some people on here have very thin skins and cannot seem to take a joke (a lot of things are mentioned in jest). I think it's important to be able to laugh at oneself occasionally. Almost every thread on this forum has gone "off course" at sometime or another - it's just human nature.
These were also my feelings when I read the post in question.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

It seems whenever I move..it's always by water. Either Lake Michigan or the Gulf of Mexico. I need water!!! I find it so calming to stroll along a beach, even in chilly weather. Yet I will never, ever set foot on a cruise ship!
I need water too and am really thinking about this as I try to find my new home in the UK. It would be really nice to find a place that is near water but not overrun with caravan parks and summer visitors. I wonder if such a place exists
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bandrui
I need water too and am really thinking about this as I try to find my new home in the UK. It would be really nice to find a place that is near water but not overrun with caravan parks and summer visitors. I wonder if such a place exists
I feel the same way, need some sort of water around me, be it river, lake or ocean.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Isle of Man, maybe???
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Yes, Chriswinter we do seem to have missed each other along the way several times.
I was actually born in Thornton Heath. Went to Beulah school & worked at Grant Bros in Croydon.
Bought a house in Croydon (Addiscombe Court Rd) in 1970 for 4,500 pounds!!! Probably now worth nearly 300,000 pounds.
Wanted sunshine so left in 1973 for OZ. Wish we could be back there now for retirement but certainly not Croydon or Thornton Heath.
I would still choose Newark on Trent.
Paula.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.