Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

ELIZABETH TAYLOR IS DEAD AT 79(
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Just to let anyone who is about to move back to the UK or visit that we have daffodils out everywhere, the sun is shining and people are sitting outside at the pub in the next village, it really feels like spring has sprung this week. I am just about to go and make the most of it and walk along by the canal.
Know what you mean, we moved back 4 weeks ago and are now living on the Isle of Wight, didn't realise how much I missed an English spring until I saw all the spring flowers out on the road side. Today was a beautiful, good to be alive day.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Through the AA, you have to book your lessons in blocks of time, the least being 5 hours. Some instructors will teach you by the hour (so if you purchased a 5-hour block, you would get 5 1-hour lessons), but my particular instructor only teaches 2-hour lessons because he said you really can't "get into it" much in 1-hour.

The cost is £29/hour; you get a £2/hour discount when you book 6-12 (or more) lessons.

I initially signed up for 10 lessons, and am going to take another 5. He said I'm doing very well so hopefully that will be enough to pass. But if I don't pass on the first try, I'm not going to fret over it. I will learn from my mistakes and KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

Well there you are then, Rodney .... you will have no problem whatsoever with the UK driving test!

By the way, I think I mentioned this before, my youngest daughter lives up in Fairbanks. When my children were young, my [ex] husband and I lived out in the Aleutian Islands (Adak) and spent quite a bit of R&R time on mainland Alaska. Just loved it.
Yes Denise, I remember you saying that you lived in Alaska, I lived in the capital Juneau.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:49 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the weather has been lovely the past few days. I just discovered (how I didn't realise this before I don't know) that I am living just a 10 minute walk from Bournemouth beach and cliffs.
So, the past couple of days I have gone on an hours walk along the beach. It's a nice break from CV updating and reviewing and going on interviews.

I had no idea the first week I was here how close I am to the beach. The shops are 5 minutes walk away. Everything I need is right here within walking distance. (Except a job!).

it's amazing to see people actually out sunbathing on the beach and sitting at their little beach huts having a picnic..

I know I have only been back a couple of weeks, but it really is lovely to feel like I am fitting in more and more each day.

Anyone who is dithering about coming back and putting it off like I did for over 10 years, all I can say is, if you really want to do it, then do it. There really is no place like home.
Shame it took me 21 years out of my home country to appreciate it. But better late than never.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Rodney, I am so sorry to hear about your sisters passing. I hope your Mum is alright it must be very hard for her. This poem always gives me comfort I think it says it all. My thoughts will be with you during the next few days.

Death is nothing at all
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other
That we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes
We enjoyed together.

Play, smile, think of me, pray for me,
Let my name be ever the household word that
It always was.
Let it be spoken without effort,
Without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was
There is absolutely unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am
Out of sight? I am but waiting for you
For an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner .

All is well.

Canon Henry Scott Holland (1847-1918)
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:16 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Know what you mean, we moved back 4 weeks ago and are now living on the Isle of Wight, didn't realise how much I missed an English spring until I saw all the spring flowers out on the road side. Today was a beautiful, good to be alive day.

Hi Sentosa,

We're off to Devon for a long week-end this week-end, but we have - as you know - two 4-day bank holiday week-ends in April and are thinking of driving down to Isle of Wight (the week-end of the Royal Wedding) as we've never been there before.

Osborne House is on our list of places to see, but do you have any other suggestions? Or B&B/hotel recommendations?

Probably won't stay the entire 3 days on Isle of Wight, but definitely at least one day. Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Denise

P.S. Feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Just to let anyone who is about to move back to the UK or visit that we have daffodils out everywhere, the sun is shining and people are sitting outside at the pub in the next village, it really feels like spring has sprung this week. I am just about to go and make the most of it and walk along by the canal.
Yesterday it was lovely, sun shining and blue skys as far as the eye could see,
and also the same today, about 70 odd degeas, and people in the streets are walking around in shirt sleeves here.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yesterday it was lovely, sun shining and blue skys as far as the eye could see,
and also the same today, about 70 odd degeas, and people in the streets are walking around in shirt sleeves here.
You have better weather than us right now, we are rain, rain and more rain, with wind storms and snow in the mountains 50f right now.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You have better weather than us right now, we are rain, rain and more rain, with wind storms and snow in the mountains 50f right now.
Toronto is currently -4C and it has snowed ALL DAY! Just when you think its all over, mother nature gives you another lashing! Off to shovel the drive ...its a good workout.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Were expecting snow tomorrow We had snow two days ago and we still have plenty of snow on the ground.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

People move from UK to get away from the bad weather, they should just move to Plymouth
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Yes the weather has been lovely the past few days. I just discovered (how I didn't realise this before I don't know) that I am living just a 10 minute walk from Bournemouth beach and cliffs.
Aahhh ! Bournemouth My home town and I used to live just 10 minutes from the cliffs, prom and beach too. Lovely !
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

We've actually had 2 days of lovely sunshine. About time after all the rain we've had. So the phone has been ringing and I have been out gardening and my body can definitely feel it. Spring is finally here perhaps. "They" are saying we are 3 weeks behind normal.
Wouldn't mind being in Plymouth or Bournemouth though
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
People move from UK to get away from the bad weather, they should just move to Plymouth
Mummy, you peeked my interest, so I had a look at Plymouth via the Plymouth website and YouTube....what a lovely and historically interesting place! Duh on me ...had completely forgotten about Plymouth and the Pilgrims. I noticed you LOL'd after mentioning Plymouth, so am not sure if is an inside British joke or not??? I've only ever been to Croydon (and there abouts), London and Brighton, so not at all acquainted with other parts of England. I really enjoyed the pictures I found, the videos I watched and has now been entered into my Favorites. Is it a somewhat temperate climate there? I'm thinking that might be a place I just might want to visit next year. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Were expecting snow tomorrow We had snow two days ago and we still have plenty of snow on the ground.
I know Trotty, my heart goes out to you and all in NE USA (and Canada!) as winter delivers yet another blow...and I can't help saying how GLAD I am not to be there!!!! Sorry!

I just don't think I could cope with another winter there and when I go back to USA it will be part-time only!!!!

Tina

(I see Windsong is also Tina! Should we do something to distinguish ourselves, or is it enough that readers can see we are "between two worlds" and "windsong" ?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.