Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

So sorry to hear about your sister Rodney. Hugs to you and your Mum xx
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

I am so sorry Rodney. Hugs
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Everyone,
Just thought I would let you all know that my Sister Barbara passed away this evening at 7pm in Plymouth, Mum and I did not have a chance to see her again, she took a change for the worse all of a sudden and this morning the Doctors said that she probably wont last through the day, when they say that you always want them to be wrong, but they were right,
Thank you all for all your kind words and sympathy over the past few months since she was diagnosed with lung cancer,
She turned 69 on February 22nd and she died today on March 22nd,
Thank you all,
Rodney.
Dear Rodney,

Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your sister. I am so pleased that you at least go to spend some time with her before she passed away and that you are there now for your mum which must be a great comfort to her.

Take Care
Barb
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Dear Rodney,
I am so very sorry to hear of your sister's passing. My sincere condolences go out to you and your dear Mum. I am so glad that you are there to comfort each other.
David
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to to hear about you sister Rodney. Hugs for you and your Mum.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,
Just thought I would let you all know that my Sister Barbara passed away this evening at 7pm in Plymouth, Mum and I did not have a chance to see her again, she took a change for the worse all of a sudden and this morning the Doctors said that she probably wont last through the day, when they say that you always want them to be wrong, but they were right,
Thank you all for all your kind words and sympathy over the past few months since she was diagnosed with lung cancer,
Thank you all,
Rodney.
So sorry to hear this, Rodney. Deepest condolences to you, your Mum, and all the family.

Tina
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:05 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grandma thanks for understanding, but I think that I will just get some lessons take the theory test and the driving test --- pass everything with flying colors and be done with it
I have no doubt in my mind that you will be done with it very quickly.
Glad it's not me having to take it. I suffer from nerves really badly when I take tests. I can't sleep, I get a nauseous feeling in my tummy and my hands shake. Always been like that and I try my best to control it, but it's like my body just takes over my head.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:07 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,
Thank you all,
Rodney.
Rodney, I just saw this. So very sorry to hear of her passing. Sending you hugs.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

FYI. On taking the test.

Quote:

Everybody's faith in driving instructors is touching. Unfortunately, I was a driving instructor in the US for a couple years and I have a little bit more jaded view on the subject. It seems like most of what I was taught to do was convince people they needed (to buy) more professional instruction and all my boss cared about was lobbying the state to raise the number of legally required hours. Still, I'll hire one because it's always good to pay the required tribute and I might want to use their car for the test and, as is pointed out, I can ask questions and learn what's important to pass the test.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is crazy:

l think it's fair to say that UK driving instructors are fairly well regarded, there may be the odd cowboy around but most,l would suggest,are pretty reputable and knowledgeable. They'll point out small things which are important in the test,such as making sure you actually move your head to look in the rear view and side mirrors,rather than just glancing and only moving your eyes. The examiner will be looking for that. Also putting the car in neutral, and handbrake on, when stopped at traffic lights,so l think it'll definitely pay you to invest in 2 or 3 lessons. Good luck !

I would flunk a driver if they did that.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

This is my breakfast

http://www.cunard.com/Cunard-Grills-...ng-Experience/

I wish
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:04 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone, Just thought I would let you all know that my Sister Barbara passed away this evening at 7pm in Plymouth, Mum and I did not have a chance to see her again, she took a change for the worse all of a sudden and this morning the Doctors said that she probably wont last through the day, when they say that you always want them to be wrong, but they were right, Thank you all for all your kind words and sympathy over the past few months since she was diagnosed with lung cancer, She turned 69 on February 22nd and she died today on March 22nd, Thank you all, Rodney.
I'm very sorry for your loss, Rodney. xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:16 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

DDL/Denise, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, I apappreciatet a lot, and thanks for all the tips and advice, do you mind telling me how much your AA driving Instructor charges for each lesson, and also how long are the lessons maybe an hour? Also how many lessons are you going to have, or how many you think you may need?
Through the AA, you have to book your lessons in blocks of time, the least being 5 hours. Some instructors will teach you by the hour (so if you purchased a 5-hour block, you would get 5 1-hour lessons), but my particular instructor only teaches 2-hour lessons because he said you really can't "get into it" much in 1-hour.

The cost is £29/hour; you get a £2/hour discount when you book 6-12 (or more) lessons.

I initially signed up for 10 lessons, and am going to take another 5. He said I'm doing very well so hopefully that will be enough to pass. But if I don't pass on the first try, I'm not going to fret over it. I will learn from my mistakes and KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

You know Denise about 15 years ago I took a little break and left Nevada and went up north to Alaska and drove cab there for 6 months, and I had to pass a special cabbie theory test on the cocomputerI studied the road laws and other things a cabbie needs to know and there were 100 questions then --- and you needed to get 93 right, and I got 96 right and passed, and that was quite hard so if I can pass that one I can pass this one
Well there you are then, Rodney .... you will have no problem whatsoever with the UK driving test!

By the way, I think I mentioned this before, my youngest daughter lives up in Fairbanks. When my children were young, my [ex] husband and I lived out in the Aleutian Islands (Adak) and spent quite a bit of R&R time on mainland Alaska. Just loved it.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Just to let anyone who is about to move back to the UK or visit that we have daffodils out everywhere, the sun is shining and people are sitting outside at the pub in the next village, it really feels like spring has sprung this week. I am just about to go and make the most of it and walk along by the canal.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I found this on another forum.

I purchased this car new 3 years ago when I moved to the UK. It’s in mint condition and just had a thorough check-up.

The best thing is the semi-automatic. Means, you can drive in full automatic mode or chose the manual option. Having the automatic made it much easier to learn driving on the left. I did not have to focus on the gear shifting on the left while maneuvering through those roundabouts

Fiat Grande Punto Eleganza, 5 door, Automatic,
Engine size: 1.4
Milage 14.000
Color: smoke
MOT Dec. 2010

Price 5,600 GBP

This is not the actual car but an image of the same model:
http://www.motors.co.uk/used/cars/fi...carid=20950286

If interested I can give the name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.