Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Just about all the slate quarrying is closed. Llanrwst is more sheep farmer territory. I never did go for those farm boys smelly beggers.

Heres one for you, small village, my friend and her Dh moved there. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31925891.html Looks like the bathroom needs a do over.
I took a look and can you believe that there is a bus stop right there in front and you can walk to the train. I think I'm still capable of walking a mile.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

You know if we started a thread on UK property I think we could pass 50/60's thread, in the number of postings, because of our interest in that area. But that would throw it wide open to every one so I'm happy to keep it in our lovely circle.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
It's Saturday night as I type this and we've had a lovely day. It was beautiful - sunny and dry!

We got up early this morning and drove to Westfield, a huge mall in Shepherd's Bush. I absolutely hate clothes shopping - but I need new clothes as I've lost (and am still losing) a good bit of weight since moving back to England and my clothes are beginning to look baggy!

Anyway, it's a beautiful mall, we got there nice and early, and I picked up several pieces of clothing from the really nice M&S there.

Tony (a man who LOVES shopping, has the wardrobe of a King, and NEVER pays full price for ANYTHING) got a beautiful Jeff Banks herringbone wool winter coat for next year. Cost: £125...but he got it on sale for £36.50!!!!!!!! He wears Big & Tall and he's ALWAYS finding bargains like that. Really ticks me off.

We only spent a couple of hours at the mall, then headed over to East Sheen to visit Tony's son, daughter-in-law, and grandson. Had a great visit. Chatted over cups of tea, walked to the local park, browsed along the High Street, then wandered back home through an area of beautiful mews cottages.

After that, we did our weekly Tesco shop (yawn) - then came home and watched Ireland beat the **** out of England at the Rugby. (But England has still won Six Nations, overall, on points.)

Tomorrow - another great weather forecast - I'm going to try and talk him into us going down to Polesdon Lacey: http://bit.ly/36tZhO

And next week-end, we're down in Devon for 3 days (we're both taking Monday off work) to visit Castle Drogo and A la Ronde. We expect to have a newborn grandchild (in Plymouth) by then, so we'll probably also pop by there for a visit.

We have two 4-day bank holiday week-ends in April and are trying to decide where to go/what to do. We also have tickets in April to this and this

And that's just us getting started. So much to see and do ... exactly what we came back for!
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I took a look and can you believe that there is a bus stop right there in front and you can walk to the train. I think I'm still capable of walking a mile.
The train is a heck of a way from Eglwysbach but there are buses into Llandudno, Conwy etc.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Look on here, they have reviews:

http://www.whatcar.com/
Excellent. Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I picked this one.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31818551.html

New and had a nice view.
You would have to gag me and tie me to get me in a highrise. I saw a highrise fire in New Orleans with people jumping out of windows.

Of course, glad we are all different, otherwise we would all be competing for the same place !
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Do you know I haven't been to Liverpool yet??

Only Widnes, Frodsham, Warrington, Helsby etc.

BUT tomorrow weather permitting my sister and I are off to Buxton for a nice drive.
I REALLY like Buxton. My brother and I took the bus there in the 90s, OS map in hand and walked across the fields to Arbor Lowe (a henge older than Stonehenge - no big stones though) and the Nine Maidens. I was going to suggest Derbyshire as a much underestimated area of beautiful scenery.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Linda, did I read recently that you are planning to move over this year or am I mistaken? I've read six pages of forum messages this afternoon so please forgive if I am mistaken.
I know what you mean Tina... I am trying to catch up with the posts !

Here is my plan :
  • when Spring arrives, clean up yard, get rid of stuff
  • in the meantime go through house, sell things
  • List house for sale
  • Hectie my Golden has had his shots and microchip, blood test next week
  • can move Sept at soonest (6 month rule for dog)
  • wait and hope and pray for house to sell
  • and then I am on my way
I have a LOT of clearing to do. I could be doing more at the moment but am a bit overwhelmed.
IF my house sells for a reasonable price, I hope to buy a small property in UK but will probably rent for a few months to look around.
Where is up in the air but I am leaning towards SW or Cotswolds.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I know what you mean Tina... I am trying to catch up with the posts !

Here is my plan :
  • when Spring arrives, clean up yard, get rid of stuff
  • in the meantime go through house, sell things
  • List house for sale
  • Hectie my Golden has had his shots and microchip, blood test next week
  • can move Sept at soonest (6 month rule for dog)
  • wait and hope and pray for house to sell
  • and then I am on my way
I have a LOT of clearing to do. I could be doing more at the moment but am a bit overwhelmed.
IF my house sells for a reasonable price, I hope to buy a small property in UK but will probably rent for a few months to look around.
Where is up in the air but I am leaning towards SW or Cotswolds.
I love it! A woman of action lol!

Did you find it easy to find a DFEA (I think that's it) vet?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Close for those of us used to driving an hour to work or whatever but for British people this is a BIG day out LOL!!

I remember years ago I came back to the UK with my (then) husband on holiday, we got up one day and he said "Let's go to the Lake District" we were staying with my mum so of course she was included in the day trip, well she got up and we told her where we were going, well you should have heard her "THE LAKE DISTRICT for a day trip??" Like we were going to Outer Mongolia or the Great Wall Of China LOL!! She then proceeded to make sandwiches and a flask of tea for our arduous journey of 1 and a half hours.
This is where we expats have a bit of an edge; we are used to drving long distances to somewhere worth seeing. I remember when I used to go camping in Osoyoos in the BC interior every May long weekend - an 8-hour drive! Noone thought twice about it. This is, for me at least, one of the great advantages of being in the UK... lots of wonderful places within easy reach.

Ha ha ha, the ubiquitous flask of tea and sandwiches. I remember as a child feeling quite mystified when my mother would pack this big bag of food and drinks. We never had a car so every Sunday we would go to the bus station and say "Mmmm where shall we go today?". We would get on a bus into the countryside and walk all the way home across the fields, having a picnic at some lovely place along the way. I have vivid memories of woods full of Bluebells and still have a large picture on my wall of such a scene.

Wherever I end up, one of my first purchases will be OS maps to see what ancient places exist out there in the fields, where the footpaths are. I hope to do lots of walking.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like a great weekend DDL. Do you put the weight loss down to having no car of your own? I do find I am walking a lot more here, even if only to the local shops, as I have no car so have no choice if I need something.

Jeff Banks has a great bedding range, I have my eye on a duvet cover and runner in a local T.J. Hughes here.......so well done Tony on the coat.

I feel like I have come out of a kind of fog this last week as before that I was just SOOOO tired and kind of out of sorts. My head is all over the place as to where to work/live. I am putting the airline job in London to the back of my head as it seems it will be going on for many months ahead.

If I am offered the local job I went for an interview for on Thursday I will not take it as I don't want to live around these parts, so am now looking at Manchester airport or Liverpool city centre. I may have already written this but honestly that Rightmove has done my head in today, it's soooo addictive, I have been all over the country today - I started off looking at sheltered housing this morning in the Wirral and ended up looking at furnished flats in Liverpool central..........aaarrggghhhhhhh
Oh I know that Rightmove addiction very well. I do not know whree the heck I am going so am leaning toward temporary rental while I look around "on the ground". My personal feeling is that intuition plays a great part in this and when you find the right place you know. This combined with left-brain; making a list of the things that are important to you in a home, an area, reachable areas, etc.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:55 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

and now for something different... I just took a break from the computer to have me tea and I got to look at CNN on TV and it looks like all heck is breaking out in Libya with the NATO forces firing missiles like they were M&Ms on Libya. I'm so so glad that this is not a US led effort and I got to admire the British for being one of the leaders along with France in this military operation. I say this because as we all know the UK is trying to cut back on its military spending so it comes as a great sacrifice.

No Doc Martin tonight because it is plead night on PBS.
Very depressing! More war, less money for other things and probably a delay in the economic recovery.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
I love it! A woman of action lol!

Did you find it easy to find a DFEA (I think that's it) vet?
I am using the DEFRA website as a guide and training the vet ! I am not actually terribly impressed but there are only 2 vets on the island and though I would prefer the other one, this one has found a new lab to send the blood tests to that charges about $100 less. Hectie just tore his cruciate ligament and I have put over $350 this vet's way in the past 3 weeks, which has an impact on my monthly expenses.
When the blood test results are in I shall do what someone else on this forum did and fax the papers to the pet arrivals area of Heathrow to make sure they are in order.
Still so many details to be worked out !
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

where the footpaths are. I hope to do lots of walking.
Me too
Old Mar 20th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am using the DEFRA website as a guide and training the vet ! I am not actually terribly impressed but there are only 2 vets on the island and though I would prefer the other one, this one has found a new lab to send the blood tests to that charges about $100 less. Hectie just tore his cruciate ligament and I have put over $350 this vet's way in the past 3 weeks, which has an impact on my monthly expenses.
When the blood test results are in I shall do what someone else on this forum did and fax the papers to the pet arrivals area of Heathrow to make sure they are in order.
Still so many details to be worked out !
That's a good idea! I wonder if my own vet could do the testing and then send the results, like you did, to the DEFRA org. I'd much pefer to use my own vet. I think I will call him on Monday and ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.