Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by HighTide
Checking in from Beautiful Sunny South Devon. The weather has been just great since I returned from Vancouver.
I arrived back in Teignmouth with the cat after picking her up from the Pet reception centre at Heathrow where they processed her papers and checked her microchip etc. She is good to travel throughout Europe now but I think she will most likely just be a stay at home cat now after her galling adventures.

I had thought I would be coming back to the new house in Brixham but things did not quite work out that way. Pleased to say that finally the contracts have now been exchanged and we have a move in date of March 25th.

Our shipment from Vancouver will not be here for at least 2 months however we will be buying all the larger furniture here so right now busy price comparing on line for beds, sofas, washing machine, dryer, TV's etc. White goods are so much less expensive than they are in Canada along with many other things. It is great to be back here with some permanency now and also have a set date so that we can arrange services for the house.

Tomorrow we will go into Exeter to drop off our driving license applications so that we can exchange Canadian for British DL.
Next weekend my nephew is getting married in Exeter so lots of family will be heading this way. Hope it's as much fun as your nephew's wedding Beedubya
Also will try to buy a car very soon. Are still leaning towards a Honda Jazz (Fit) 2-3 years old. with low mileage.
Great to hear your news David! A pity you couldn't move straight in to new house but anyway you have a date, and now you have time to shop at your own pace for the appliances etc so perhaps it's better...

So glad the cat coped OK as well....good luck with the preparations for the move,and the settling in!

Devon....ah how lovely!

Tina
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Denise DDL, thanks for the link to your photos from Hampton Court gardens....beautiful, a real taste of spring! So lovely to see...

(Surely not bluebells yet as someone said, though--they are early May I think? Those blue flowers in the picture are squill, or perhaps chinodoxia.)

Keep the news coming!

Tina
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
That's a good idea! It will give you an intro to working in the UK again.

Yes, I notice how polite people were when I was over there last - a few years ago now, though.

Now that you have been there a couple of weeks, are you homesick? What do you miss from back in AU?
The friendliness of people in shops is genuine, not just the McDonald's type "Have a good day" said parrot fashion.

I have been back in England for just 2 weeks - so far only missing my daughter and her kids, but the kids have been away camping with their dad so I wouldn't have seen them anyway even if I was still in Australia.........
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Checking in from Beautiful Sunny South Devon. The weather has been just great since I returned from Vancouver.
I arrived back in Teignmouth with the cat after picking her up from the Pet reception centre at Heathrow where they processed her papers and checked her microchip etc. She is good to travel throughout Europe now but I think she will most likely just be a stay at home cat now after her galling adventures.

I had thought I would be coming back to the new house in Brixham but things did not quite work out that way. Pleased to say that finally the contracts have now been exchanged and we have a move in date of March 25th.

Our shipment from Vancouver will not be here for at least 2 months however we will be buying all the larger furniture here so right now busy price comparing on line for beds, sofas, washing machine, dryer, TV's etc. White goods are so much less expensive than they are in Canada along with many other things. It is great to be back here with some permanency now and also have a set date so that we can arrange services for the house.

Tomorrow we will go into Exeter to drop off our driving license applications so that we can exchange Canadian for British DL.
Next weekend my nephew is getting married in Exeter so lots of family will be heading this way. Hope it's as much fun as your nephew's wedding Beedubya
Also will try to buy a car very soon. Are still leaning towards a Honda Jazz (Fit) 2-3 years old. with low mileage.
Lovely update David, it's great to be home isn't it?

I am sure your nephew's wedding will be as good as mine was, it was sooo good to be with all the family, I was just sad that my daughter and my grandchildren were the only ones missing.

Other than that it was a lovely day as yours will be as I am sure your family will be so happy to see you back home.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Beedubya.....Frodsham that was one of our haunts in my younger days. They had some nice pubs, sounds so much different for you this time than last. Hope you get some good news on the job front Have you spoken to your daughter and when is your son returning to Australia.
TT you will see little change in Frodsham except there is a Morrison's supermarket in the middle of the town. We did end up in The Bears Paw which has changed not one little bit since 1632 LOL!!

http://www.pub-explorer.com/cheshire...awfrodsham.htm

I thought the drinks in all of the pubs were expensive, but of course I am still converting to Aussie $$$ in my head as I will do for a while. Pub prices:£3.50 for a pint of beer, £3.50 for a Vodka and Britvic orange, £4.50 for a glass of wine.

I have spoken to my daughter and the grandkids on Skype, it was no different to when I lived in Sydney to be honest, my son goes back on March 24th, which is just next week..........

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 14th 2011 at 8:49 am.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I love Frodsham - I have some friends who live there - I was back there a couple of years ago. Great to hear that you will probably be able to get a job with the airline in the UK. All the best to you.
Thanks Derrygal, there is a Farmer's market in Frodsham, which I plan to visit this Thursday. It's a really nice little town and if my airline job doesn't work out, I could quite happily live there.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks for this Trotty...yes, it's a rollercoaster, and I remember when suddenly my DH said, OK, I'm looking at retiring or semi-retiring, let's plan to leave and move to England--what I had wanted for years, but when it came up close, I suddenly got scared!

(Actually of course that didn't happen, and we are in France as he is still working--but that's good, it's great here. Alas, I won't be able to pop over to England quite as soon as I hoped--would have liked to go about now--because I have a herniated disk. Sigh. Am not in excruciating pain but it has caused muscle weakness in legs and I can't walk far or fast. However, we plan to go at Easter.).

So sorry to hear about your daughter--but yes, you could have made those phone calls from UK and could have skyped....I don't think we are seeing any more of our son who lives in Georgia now we are across Atlantic than we did in NE USA--it's so far. The son who lived only a couple of hours away we may have seen a little more often if we were still there....but really, unless one lives very close to these adult children, seeing them weekly or something, the difference is not huge.

Spring is here--I pray your house sells now! And that when it does,you will be mentally and emotionally ready for the move to UK.

I think yours words to Rodney are very kind, and yes Rodney, Trotty is right, that is a huge and difficult trip for your Mum, no guilt should be felt if she can't manage it....it's great that you talk on the phone to your sister.

And by the way what was that you said about having gone back to a couple of cigarettes a day?????!! Can you really keep it at that????

Tina
Thanks Tina for those nice kind words about my Mum and Sister, about the Cigs, well so far yes I have been able to keep it down to 2 per day ---- SO FAR !!!!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rodney

Good to hear youare able to keep it down to 2!!!!

My hubby gave up after 40 years last month and is doing well - tho a lil cranky! Considering what he going thro regarding his Son I think he makes me proud to stand shoulder to shoulder as his wife.

You did not answer my Q regarding the fitness of the son looking after your Sis?

Hope I did not upset you by asking probing questions.

Jxo
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
On the subject of travel.

As a UK resident, you are entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered. However, to obtain treatment you will need to take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you

Thanks to something Tony read in his latest issue of The Oldie, we just applied for our cards online. There is no cost.

The EHIC will give you basic care for free or at a reduced cost, but it is not insurance and will not, for instance, arrange for repatriation, not pay for a hotel room if you have to extend your stay to look after a sick relative.

To get a card, apply via the European Health Insurance Card website http://www.ehic.org.uk. You can also apply by phone or post.

You are not eligible if you permanently reside abroad.
Thanks Denise. I have never heard this mentioned before...good to know.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Great news David. So glad to hear all is going well for you both. You must be so excited to have all the pieces fitting together. That is such useful info regarding the prices. We've been doing quite a bit of checking online already and notice that many prices seem to be less than Canada, so I think we'll probably sell everything and buy new. I was wondering about white goods, as they are not so easy to compare, quality etc. so that's good to know. Have you noticed whether the small kitchen items, i.e. pots and pans, graters, knives etc. are cheaper than Canada? I have a few favourites which I will probably take, but not sure about the rest.

Happy Shopping and take care.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks Tina for those nice kind words about my Mum and Sister, about the Cigs, well so far yes I have been able to keep it down to 2 per day ---- SO FAR !!!!

Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much. -John Wayne

Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Derrygal, there is a Farmer's market in Frodsham, which I plan to visit this Thursday. It's a really nice little town and if my airline job doesn't work out, I could quite happily live there.
OK I just spent an hour looking at property in Frodsham and I can understand why my Dad liked to spend time there.

So here is the deal you buy a place there and I'll rent a room from you.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
OK I just spent an hour looking at property in Frodsham and I can understand why my Dad liked to spend time there.

So here is the deal you buy a place there and I'll rent a room from you.
I'll arm-wrestle you for first dibs on this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32988125.html

If they can move the bathroom!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much. -John Wayne

Hey Cheers!

I like that - a LOT!!!!

xo
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I'll arm-wrestle you for first dibs on this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32988125.html

If they can move the bathroom!
The price is right if the dollar improves as it has done in the last few days.

There are a lot of places that I could be happy in but I have a secret one that I'm keeping to myself.

My DW mentioned last night that she liked Windsor so I will have to go there on Rightmove. I mentioned crowds in Windsor which she didn't like about London but she says that is only around the tourist areas.

Fantasizing

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.