Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:59 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Cool.. But a straight shot to Manchester UK would be great.
I'd love Virgin to fly from NY to Manchester. At the moment if I want to fly Virgin I have to go to London and then travel north by train, and that just wastes a day of my holiday. But I hate the airlines that fly to Manchester and would choose Virgin in a heartbeat if I could.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Talking about roads, I looked at the condition of the roads in my town the other day. Dreadful! I know they are always worse after winter but, they fix them, and give it a few months and even more potholes.

The roads in Britain are much smoother, cleaner and much better lit.
I don't know where Dunroving and DDL are but after driving with family members throughout Wales, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire recently, I was impressed by both the condition and cleanliness of the roads in the UK. Admittedly many were narrow but in good condition.
Roads in Canada are generally quite good but not in rural areas where you can expect to meet gravel or dirt roads and potholes. I have taken the I5 down through Washington and Oregon many times, driven up the East coast from Louisiana to Vermont and across the States from Louisiana to Colorado and I would have to say that I agree with your statement. The I5 is particularly a problem: as you cross the border you go from smooth blacktop in Canada to concrete sections that do not quite meet each other properly in Washington Sate and have to hear that aggravating click, click, click as you cross the joins of these sections.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
You must be joking, Windsong.
No, I am not. <-- IGNORE!

Uh oh! Ignore that. I answered the wrong post lol!

Well, last time I was in the UK about 12 yrs ago, the road were terrific, especially the motorways. On a few country lanes, though, there was not too much lighting in places. I do remember that.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 12th 2011 at 11:12 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Sally, that is such a brilliant analogy, exactly right! Interesting that you say now you've decided to leave, things are really grating on your nerves. I've found the opposite to be true. Now that I've made the decision to move back (even though I still have a lot to go through before I can) the annoying elements are less so, as I know I won't have to put up with them for much longer.

I remember feeling the same way when I decided to leave a job I disliked, from that moment on, all the negatives seems so much less important.

Now that I know I'm going home, I'm able to enjoy all the positives about Canada so much more, as I know I won't be there to enjoy them forever.
Yes, it was! Truly brilliant!!!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
I don't know where Dunroving and DDL are but after driving with family members throughout Wales, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire recently, I was impressed by both the condition and cleanliness of the roads in the UK. Admittedly many were narrow but in good condition.
Roads in Canada are generally quite good but not in rural areas where you can expect to meet gravel or dirt roads and potholes. I have taken the I5 down through Washington and Oregon many times, driven up the East coast from Louisiana to Vermont and across the States from Louisiana to Colorado and I would have to say that I agree with your statement. The I5 is particularly a problem: as you cross the border you go from smooth blacktop in Canada to concrete sections that do not quite meet each other properly in Washington Sate and have to hear that aggravating click, click, click as you cross the joins of these sections.
Yes, this is how I remember British roads to be, Linda. Much better kept overall than in the USA.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
You really need to get back over here Windsong for a reality check, my dear.
When I was in the UK about 12 years ago I drove from London to Somerset and then from Somerset to Edinburgh. The roads were wonderful, except for a few country lanes in Somerset. I also drove around Wells, Bath and Bristol.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
But, regardless, when you look at the "product" (students) of most schools, there's nothing to show for it.

I think that half the reason the USA is in the pickle it's in now is because of sheer lack of brains. Honestly, look at the macro side of things. Half the decisions made should not have been made. They are clueless.
Seconded. I think a big part of the problem is that, at least when my daughter was in school in the States, they were teaching US Geography and US History but in the UK we are taught World History and World Geography.
In New Orleans, I was asked things like, "Are you from North of the Mason-Dixon line?", "Do they still have gas-lighting in England?", "Do they have electricity there?" It was major culture shock. This was quite a long time ago so I hope it has improved.
My Grandson in North Carolina is very bright and doing very well but still when I help him with school homework, they are still primarily US based subjects and there isn't the same focus on basics.

Last edited by bandrui; Mar 12th 2011 at 11:28 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

If I have learnt one thing on this forum it is that you are never (well, almost never) too old We, on this forum are planning, or have done, at least one ping-pong
lol, Linda
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorac05
When were you last in the UK Windsong? As others have said it depends on the area you are in in both the US and the UK as to how the roads are. When I was last home in November last year the roads in my home town were relatively fine - but there were definitely less streetlights. Here in Jersey City there are lots of streetlights - and again the roads are mainly fine but there are a lot of pot-holes at the moment as we are just coming out of Winter and the Spring fix has not yet begun!!
It's been 12 years. The motorways were fabulous in the UK. A few country roads with insufficient lighting (so typical here in the USA in my area). Maybe things have changed. It doesn't matter! I am still going home

One thing I have come to terms with is that the UK is on its way to being like the USA but not quite there yet. It still doesn't matter. It's home, regardless of it's unfavorable points (if any). I'd rather be in the UK complaining about certain issues than in the USA wishing I was home.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Nothing like being able to have a Cream Tea before the weekly shop! This was today at our local Tesco.
I LOVE IT Now THAT'S what I call grocery shopping!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

You're killing me . Between this and the "Welcome Home" video posted on the Flight Tracker forum, I've shed a few tears lately. Tears of joy at the thought of going home. It is hard now to know why it took me so long to make the decision but I suppose everything happens in its right time.
I just got off the phone with my brother in the UK and my Auntie Margaret (Mother's sister). In the old tradition, she was the youngest so stayed at home to take care of my Grandmother and never married. She considers all of us nieces and nephews her children. She is thrilled, but I can't live in Stoke-on-Trent having been raised in the South East.
That T-Mobile video is absolutely awesome! The morning after I returned to Canada from England back in November, I received a link for the video from a friend. Feeling a bit raw about having to come back here, I broke down in tears when I watched it and still do every time I see it. Sometimes it takes us a long time to come to this decision but once we do, there's no other feeling like it. Three weeks tonight I will be spending my first weekend back home, I can't wait! Hope your move comes soon for you as well
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded. I think a big part of the problem is that, at least when my daughter was in school in the States, they were teaching US Geography and US History but in the UK we are taught World History and World Geography.In New Orleans, I was asked things like, "Are you from North of the Mason-Dixon line?", "Do they still have gas-lighting in England?", "Do they have electricity there?" It was major culture shock. This was quite a long time ago so I hope it has improved.
My Grandson in North Carolina is very bright and doing very well but still when I help him with school homework, they are still primarily US based subjects and there isn't the same focus on basics.
Both my children did European history at their High School here in Ohio. Obviously it was an elective - not mandatory - but with their background they wanted to take it. They took the AP (Advanced Placement) course too and did very well in the exam.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
That T-Mobile video is absolutely awesome! The morning after I returned to Canada from England back in November, I received a link for the video from a friend. Feeling a bit raw about having to come back here, I broke down in tears when I watched it and still do every time I see it. Sometimes it takes us a long time to come to this decision but once we do, there's no other feeling like it. Three weeks tonight I will be spending my first weekend back home, I can't wait! Hope your move comes soon for you as well
Wonderful Curleytops! I am so happy for you. Tell us a bit about your plans. Where are you going to? Arrangements? Don't forget to give us your flight details on the flight tracker forum.
My life has gone to pot since I found this forum. I was up until 4am last night looking at rightmove.co.uk and this forum. It's got to stop .!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sally,

I have to have my daily fix of the Lake District on the webcam and I really likes todays.
It looks like it is the lambing season up there.

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Finally able to get back to the forum not sure what we are discussing going home or how awful the US is.

Education. When I was a child in the UK I went to a really good schools till I was around 13 then culture shock we moved to an area outside of Chester the worst School you could imagine. Education was the last thing on their minds. I was a middle of the road student at my last school. I came top of the class every year in my new school only because the school was so bad. That can be said no matter where you live. Whether you are in the UK or US.

My children all educated in the US had execellent educations did very well went to University and have great jobs. My oldest Grandson is doing great in School. As for US kids being behind UK kids your again making blanket statements. To me thats insulting. I would never say that about the UK. I dont know what type of schools some of you are talking about in the US but mine all had Reading writing and arithmatic and Geography and History admittedly not UK History but US History. I dont think you will find many children in the UK learning about George Washington or the War of Independence. When they went to University they could choose which subjects to take if they wanted World History they could take it.

States and Local Towns pay for their own Schools our Town takes nearly $18 out of every $23 collected by the town from Tax payers. This year it went up again. Thats $23 out of every $1,000 house value and $18 of that going to education and that was last year.

Roads: our roads are execellent last year President Obama had those signs on all our roads 'Putting Americans Back to Work", hence our great roads. Yes we do have pot holes but given the fact that we have really bad winters its only to be expected. To have all roads with lights would be way too expensive and bad for the environment . The main highways are lit but out in the country the side roads are not. Comparing US roads to UK roads is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I think some of you do need a realiity if you think all is well at home. It might be for pensioners but listen to the hard working middle class in the UK they are not happy they are sick and tired of paying taxes for the lazy and for those entering the country just to get freebies. They see their earnings dwindling while others enjoy handouts. Health Insurance is very expensive.

Perhaps some of you who are new to the forum would like to know what this forum was like when it first started out. We were a group of people wanting information and encouragement on going home and for those who got home letting us know that they were doing OK. Here is the thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629454

You know if you drive through many parts of the US you will find beautiful area's with breathtaking scenery people who love their lives and would not give it up for anything. They are hardworking good people they care about others throughtout the world I know that because I have childen and see life as they see it. Yes there are awful parts to this country but I think any of you who think the UK is beautiful everywhere are in for a reality shock. Try driving though Birmingham parts of Lancashire anywhere that has been hit hard by the recession.

I am eager to go home but I do know that things will be very different for me than when we left. Nothing is the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.