Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:46 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Barb, I'm a bit late but welcome home. When you're down in this area, please get in touch. We'll have a cup of tea or something.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Oh sally FANTASTIC! plus, Sept lovely time to be in UK...plus, if returning to place you enjoyed before, good vibes.....i would keep fingers crossed for you from now to then if physically possible...take it metaphorically!:fi ngerscrossed:

tina
Thanks guys. I am really excited about this and it's cool to see how much OH is looking forward to it. This time last year I was asking him to consider a trip home and he was saying he really didn't want to go - even just for a week. Eventually he caved in because he saw how unhappy I was about it, but if you had told me then that he'd have such a different attitude just 12 months later, I wouldn't have believed you.

Meantime, our clean-out is under way. We've given loads of books to charity but today we boxed up all the really rubbish books that no one would want (like "The Idiot's Guide to Using the Internet" .... published in 1994!!) and took them to our local recycling center. So far we've taken 15 packing boxes of books out of the house and it still looks as if we haven't made a dint. We're both book lovers and we had never in our lives got rid of even one book, so we had quite the collection

Oh well, every little bit is progress. Next we need to tackle the CDs - we both spent years working in the music biz and got everything for free. Now we have everything digitally and no longer need the physical discs, but there are so many of them I have no idea where to start getting rid.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Mar 1st 2011 at 10:46 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
We're both book lovers and we had never in our lives got rid of even one book, so we had quite the collection

Next we need to tackle the CDs - we both spent years working in the music biz and got everything for free. Now we have everything digitally and no longer need the physical discs, but there are so many of them I have no idea where to start getting rid.

Books, books and more books... that's me. And the CDs... never thought about putting them on a thumb drive. Great idea! Thanks.

Bee, can you believe they sell some M & S food items in our local grocery store here on the island. Today I noticed they had the Mushroom soup but it costs $2.68 here (about 2 pounds). I got an M & S christmas pudding at Christmas. Weird.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Thanks guys. I am really excited about this and it's cool to see how much OH is looking forward to it. This time last year I was asking him to consider a trip home and he was saying he really didn't want to go - even just for a week. Eventually he caved in because he saw how unhappy I was about it, but if you had told me then that he'd have such a different attitude just 12 months later, I wouldn't have believed you.

Meantime, our clean-out is under way. We've given loads of books to charity but today we boxed up all the really rubbish books that no one would want (like "The Idiot's Guide to Using the Internet" .... published in 1994!!) and took them to our local recycling center. So far we've taken 15 packing boxes of books out of the house and it still looks as if we haven't made a dint. We're both book lovers and we had never in our lives got rid of even one book, so we had quite the collection

Oh well, every little bit is progress. Next we need to tackle the CDs - we both spent years working in the music biz and got everything for free. Now we have everything digitally and no longer need the physical discs, but there are so many of them I have no idea where to start getting rid.
Wow - I'm thrilled for you! Maybe the long cold winter over here in the Northeast has really got to him, bearing in mind that a move to New Hampshire has been under consideration and I daresay that it's even colder there!

I gave away many of our books to a guy whose wife collected them to send to the troops to read in Afghanistan and Iraq (his stepson was on active service). I wonder if you may wish to send your old books and CDs to the troops too, or the local Veteran's Association?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:43 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui

Bee, can you believe they sell some M & S food items in our local grocery store here on the island. Today I noticed they had the Mushroom soup but it costs $2.68 here (about 2 pounds).
Wow that's amazing! We can get some imported English items here (jaffa cakes ... yum!) but I've never seen M&S food.

Where is your island? I used to live in TO but am not good with geography. And is it quite rural? I know you want rural when you get to the UK.

Englishmum, I'll look into that. They might want CDs too. The problem is finding someone local who can either pick them up, or where we can easily drive to. Goodwill doesn't want books of any kind. The Sally Army will only take hardbacks. Our library won't take donations. The only place I've found that wants our remaining books is the local charity shop, but they're attached to the for-profit hospital and it burns me to give good books to a corporation that makes money off sick people.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's amazing! We can get some imported English items here (jaffa cakes ... yum!) but I've never seen M&S food. .
We have a whole English food section. It's a Country Grocer chain. Galaxy bars, Turkish delight, and many other choc bars, teas from England, Cornish pasties (which they label Cornish Pastries and look at me as if I am mad when I tell them they are "Pasties"), Melton Mowbray pies, all kinds of stuff but hey, it's not England and like I said, they are high priced.

Where is your island? I used to live in TO but am not good with geography. And is it quite rural? I know you want rural when you get to the UK..
Sally it's an island of 10,000 people off the West Coast of Canada (Lotus land as they say in To) 30km long that was so sacred to the Native Indians that they didn't live here, just visited for rituals and clam digs. It's very rural... sheep farming, organic veggies, 3 vineyards, 2 lavender farms, lots of artists, with a semi-Mediterranean climate due to being in a rain shadow between the mainland of British Columbia (Vancouver) and the much larger Vancouver Island. It's one of the 5 Gulf Islands. Lots of Brits here. It's become a bit of a home away from home for Hollywood actors. A bit reminiscent of England in the 50s. It's beautiful but I am sure you will understand when I say that I am just going through the motions here. My heart is not here. Too much information?

Englishmum, I'll look into that. They might want CDs too. The problem is finding someone local who can either pick them up, or where we can easily drive to. Goodwill doesn't want books of any kind. The Sally Army will only take hardbacks. Our library won't take donations. The only place I've found that wants our remaining books is the local charity shop, but they're attached to the for-profit hospital and it burns me to give good books to a corporation that makes money off sick people.
We have a book room at the local recycling depot where anyone can bring books and magazines (or take them). One of my favourite places and probably why I have waaaay too many books. I pick up BBC Gardening magazines there and dream of having an English garden.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi all, This was in my email today and was a bit of a surprise to me. Avaaz is a very reputable organisation that brings about global change. You may already be aware of this and/or Avaaz. A bit of UK news:

Dear friends,
The world's largest and most dangerous media baron wants to buy nearly half of the British mass media, boosting his power to undermine global efforts on everything from peace to the environment. We only have 48 hours to press the UK government to stand up and stop Rupert Murdoch:

In 48 hours, nearly half the British mass media could be bought by one of the world's worst media moguls.

Rupert Murdoch has exploited his vast media empire to push war in Iraq, elect George W Bush, spread resentment of muslims and immigrants, block global action on climate change, and undermine democracy by viciously smearing politicians who refuse his orders.

A lock on British media will massively boost Murdoch's power to undermine global efforts on peace, human rights and the environment. The UK is up in arms over the Murdoch bid, and even the Murdoch-allied government is split down the middle as it makes a decision this week. Global solidarity bolstered Egypt's pro-democracy protesters -- it can help Britain's. Let's build an urgent global outcry to stop Rupert Murdoch. Sign the petition to UK leaders:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_rupert_murdoch_3/?vl

Murdoch undermines democratic government across the world by threatening elected leaders with viciously biased media coverage unless they do his bidding. He has manipulated US, British and Australian democracy for years, but now he wants more complete control. In the US, most of the likely Republican presidential candidates are actually paid employees of Murdoch! When his Fox News Network was shunned by Barack Obama as a mere propaganda mouthpiece, it spawned the far right "tea party" and broadcast constant, often hate-filled attacks against Obama and his healthcare and peace agenda -- resulting in a huge win for Republicans in the 2010 congressional elections.

We can turn the tide on this powerful threat to democracy. Last year, Murdoch had lunch with the Canadian Prime Minister, who sent his chief aide to set up a murdoch-style political propaganda TV network in Canada. A mass outcry from Canadian Avaaz members prevented this network from being funded by taxpayer money, and just last week, another mass campaign from Avaaz prevented the Canadian government from removing the journalistic standards that would prevent this new network from spreading lies to the public. This week the battleground is the UK. The fight against Murdoch has just begun, but already we've begun to win. Click below to keep up the pressure:

The power of Avaaz and of this moment in our world's history, is the power of unity. Across the Arab world and beyond, people are coming together in common cause across all boundaries. Murdoch's power is the ability to divide. His networks use fear and misinformation to divide left from right, citizens from foreigners, muslim from western, immigrants from non-immigrants, etc. Murdoch knows that democracy must be divided before it can be conquered. This week, let's show him what unity looks like.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted all to know that I am so enjoying reading the many posts and even makes me feel excited for all who are returning to the place they feel so deeply for, whether permanently or just for the visit. I wish everyone on their journeys...a most safe, comfortable return..and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. A British Soul part of me does feel a bit of envy.
I have already informed my children and one of my sisters...that IF I win the lottery ...I'm taking them all back to England with me. I will buy a grand manor somewhere near the sea and we'll all live happily ever after!! Can you tell I've been watching far too many BBC series on Netflix?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

We have now been home a week and we are settleing down great. We arrived on Tuesday last week and by Friday we had got ourselves an apartment, we move in on the 11th March. It is on the Isle of Wight and it was one we had been watching for a few weeks, so thrilled to get it. Anyone thinking of renting or buying on the I.O.W I can't say enough good things about Seafields the are awesome. Yesterday we went hunting for furniture and ordered sofas and coffee table. We were pleasantly suprised at the price of things, and love walking around the supermarket the variety of food is wonderful and cheaper than in Florida for most stuff.
The weather is typical for u.k. cloudy, showery ,sunny all in one day
I haven't really felt cold but then we had a very cold winter in Florida, so must be used to it.
Seems like our boxes we shipped will arrive in U.K in 12 day's so then we will have to wait untill they clear customs.
Just want to get into the apartment with our own stuff.
I think we may have to have another shopping day today for a bed, this time.
I had forgotten how lovely spring is in u.k. we are walking alot more and the roadside have got daffodills everywhere and the trees are begining to bud.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's amazing! We can get some imported English items here (jaffa cakes ... yum!) but I've never seen M&S food.

Where is your island? I used to live in TO but am not good with geography. And is it quite rural? I know you want rural when you get to the UK.

Sally I had a big collection of books too before we downsized and getting rid of them was agony of the first order. I can't believe your library won't take donations--ours has a big book sale yearly and collects for that--though alas for us the time when we were culling was outside their collection period!

Anyway it's all exciting that you are beginning the process, even if the decision isn't 100% made yet, and that your OH has shifted his stance so much...

Tina
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
We have now been home a week and we are settleing down great. We arrived on Tuesday last week and by Friday we had got ourselves an apartment, we move in on the 11th March. It is on the Isle of Wight and it was one we had been watching for a few weeks, so thrilled to get it. Anyone thinking of renting or buying on the I.O.W I can't say enough good things about Seafields the are awesome. Yesterday we went hunting for furniture and ordered sofas and coffee table. We were pleasantly suprised at the price of things, and love walking around the supermarket the variety of food is wonderful and cheaper than in Florida for most stuff.
The weather is typical for u.k. cloudy, showery ,sunny all in one day
I haven't really felt cold but then we had a very cold winter in Florida, so must be used to it.
Seems like our boxes we shipped will arrive in U.K in 12 day's so then we will have to wait untill they clear customs.
Just want to get into the apartment with our own stuff.
I think we may have to have another shopping day today for a bed, this time.
I had forgotten how lovely spring is in u.k. we are walking alot more and the roadside have got daffodills everywhere and the trees are begining to bud.

Wow sentosa wonderful to hear all this, everything falling into place and you, ex-Floridian, not even feeling the cold! (this might change come "summer" in Britain!!)

Yes isn't it wonderful how in one English day you can have every sort of weather...

also, to hear your enjoyment of the English spring, my very favourite season, spring somehow not the same anywhere else....

congrats on your smooth return so far and hope the happiness continues....

tina
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi all, This was in my email today and was a bit of a surprise to me. Avaaz is a very reputable organisation that brings about global change. You may already be aware of this and/or Avaaz. A bit of UK news:

Dear friends,
The world's largest and most dangerous media baron wants to buy nearly half of the British mass media, boosting his power to undermine global efforts on everything from peace to the environment. We only have 48 hours to press the UK government to stand up and stop Rupert Murdoch:

In 48 hours, nearly half the British mass media could be bought by one of the world's worst media moguls.

Rupert Murdoch has exploited his vast media empire to push war in Iraq, elect George W Bush, spread resentment of muslims and immigrants, block global action on climate change, and undermine democracy by viciously smearing politicians who refuse his orders.

A lock on British media will massively boost Murdoch's power to undermine global efforts on peace, human rights and the environment. The UK is up in arms over the Murdoch bid, and even the Murdoch-allied government is split down the middle as it makes a decision this week. Global solidarity bolstered Egypt's pro-democracy protesters -- it can help Britain's. Let's build an urgent global outcry to stop Rupert Murdoch. Sign the petition to UK leaders:

Murdoch undermines democratic government across the world by threatening elected leaders with viciously biased media coverage unless they do his bidding. He has manipulated US, British and Australian democracy for years, but now he wants more complete control. In the US, most of the likely Republican presidential candidates are actually paid employees of Murdoch! When his Fox News Network was shunned by Barack Obama as a mere propaganda mouthpiece, it spawned the far right "tea party" and broadcast constant, often hate-filled attacks against Obama and his healthcare and peace agenda -- resulting in a huge win for Republicans in the 2010 congressional elections.

We can turn the tide on this powerful threat to democracy. Last year, Murdoch had lunch with the Canadian Prime Minister, who sent his chief aide to set up a murdoch-style political propaganda TV network in Canada. A mass outcry from Canadian Avaaz members prevented this network from being funded by taxpayer money, and just last week, another mass campaign from Avaaz prevented the Canadian government from removing the journalistic standards that would prevent this new network from spreading lies to the public. This week the battleground is the UK. The fight against Murdoch has just begun, but already we've begun to win. Click below to keep up the pressure:

The power of Avaaz and of this moment in our world's history, is the power of unity. Across the Arab world and beyond, people are coming together in common cause across all boundaries. Murdoch's power is the ability to divide. His networks use fear and misinformation to divide left from right, citizens from foreigners, muslim from western, immigrants from non-immigrants, etc. Murdoch knows that democracy must be divided before it can be conquered. This week, let's show him what unity looks like.
There isn't enough room on this Forum for me to tell you have much I dislike this guy and everything he stands for, he's never been elected yet he's one of the most powerful men in the world, he's cost us in America a lot just by getting bush elected, look how much worse off we are just for having him as Pres, the two wars alone have cost us all financially and for some its cost them their lives.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Sentosa, ditto what Tina said.
Iloved reading what you wrote. I was with you every step of the way.
Thank you.

Fish, I appreciate and totally concur with your comments. My fingers are crossed that Avaaz will be successfulin catching people's attention as they caught mine. After I added my name, it was so encouraging to see all the names scrolling down of votes coming in from all over the world.
Linda
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally - you can give the CDs and DVDs to a charity store like Goodwill or the Salvation Army. They resell for a few pennies on the dollar. Better than the landfill.... and you get a tax certificate for next year's tax return.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Easterndawn....so happy to hear your husband is out of hospital. How is Wee Mac doing.

DDL.......You are having the best of times. Loved the flower show. Hard to think of Spring with all the snow we have here.

Jasper123....Have you weighed yourself recently Your meals make my mouth water. Hows the feet

Charlygirl.....You have to come back

Windsong.....No I didnt have that in but I have added to the next list
Feet are much better now, Im having excellent treatment on the NHS, well no afraid to weigh myself trotty as i know i have put on a few pounds since i gave up smoking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.