Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

My daughter in law just had a baby here in the US and had 3 months paid leave my son took a week off holiday time he gets 4 weeks.

The UK law is : This was on the BBC Website.

Who? Those with 26 weeks of service, or those who will have responsibility for the child as the father or as the mother's partner

It applies to those in same-sex partnerships as well as heterosexual ones
When? One or two consecutive weeks within 56 days of the birth

How much? The Statutory Paternity Pay is £124.88 a week or 90% of average weekly earnings if lower.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My daughter in law just had a baby here in the US and had 3 months paid leave my son took a week off holiday time he gets 4 weeks.

The UK law is : This was on the BBC Website.

Who? Those with 26 weeks of service, or those who will have responsibility for the child as the father or as the mother's partner

It applies to those in same-sex partnerships as well as heterosexual ones
When? One or two consecutive weeks within 56 days of the birth

How much? The Statutory Paternity Pay is £124.88 a week or 90% of average weekly earnings if lower.
Wow..three months paid leave, she must have a great job, I have never heard of that happening..the paid bit I mean..good for her..
Jackie
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Well to get that leave she had to work till she almost dropped the baby. I think she stayed home 1 week before the baby arrived Not sure but it might be Government job.
Many dont like to take longer than that length of time because the companies they work for dont like it. My husband worked for a large company and many women took 3-9months I think the extra 6 months was unpaid . But it was not liked by other employees as the jobs they were doing were given to others and then when the maternity leave was over they came back to work wanting the job back they had left. If I remember rightly the company is legally bound to keep that position open for them.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Well to get that leave she had to work till she almost dropped the baby. I think she stayed home 1 week before the baby arrived Not sure but it might be Government job.
Many dont like to take longer than that length of time because the companies they work for dont like it. My husband worked for a large company and many women took 3-9months I think the extra 6 months was unpaid . But it was not liked by other employees as the jobs they were doing were given to others and then when the maternity leave was over they came back to work wanting the job back they had left. If I remember rightly the company is legally bound to keep that position open for them.
yes it called the family leave act, you can take up to 3 months unpaid leave legally, if your company has short term disability insurance you get paid, if not you are on your own, after 3 months if you dont come back they can terminate you. I just went through all of that..my company didnt have short term disability insurance, so thats why I lost all my savings etc...
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I worked till the week before first baby was born here in US, then after a c-section went back when he was 6 weeks old, they were calling me and guilted me into it. No maternity leave, but I could have 12 weeks on state disability payments seeing it was a c-section back then, 6 weeks for a normal delivery. It's disgraceful. All the women I worked with who delivered babies spent the first month or so back looking like hell and bursting into tears if anyone mentioned the baby.
I figured if my insides fell out I was in the right place, working for an OB/GYN. They had me back to transferring unconscious patients in no time
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think the reason my daughter- in- law was able to judge the amount of time she need off so close to her due date was because she had a scheduled C/Section. Many take a couple of weeks off before the baby is due so end up with less time afterwards.

Easterdawn....How are you doing with the car and how is your husband doing.

Charleygirl...How is the new job working out.

Dontheturner.....He must be home by now. Lucky devil
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:41 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Denise you and i have simular tastes cause i bought a pair of sneakers just like that last week at Debenems --- on sale from £25 down to £6
Rodders! Are you telling me you bought yourself trainers with SEQUINS??

Mine cost £9.99 from Amazon.co.uk
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:48 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
And I have had my eye on a pair of shocking pink wellingtons with black polka dots ...

Go for it, girlfriend. I'll wear my sequined trainers and you can wear your pink & polka dot wellies when we meet for tea someday in Frome.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:55 pm
DDL

I think I read that the UK is adding another hour to your time forward so that you will have longer daylight. That was something I liked when I was home the long summer evenings. Now you get another hour. Dont know when its coming into effect.

Trotty, it's an idea that was put forward but more than likely will not be implemented. Would be especially dangerous for school children heading out to school in the dark mornings and the farther north you go from London the later it becomes light in the morning, especially in Scotland. We were just watching something on the news about it a few minutes ago.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I worked till the week before first baby was born here in US, then after a c-section went back when he was 6 weeks old, they were calling me and guilted me into it. No maternity leave, but I could have 12 weeks on state disability payments seeing it was a c-section back then, 6 weeks for a normal delivery. It's disgraceful. All the women I worked with who delivered babies spent the first month or so back looking like hell and bursting into tears if anyone mentioned the baby.
I figured if my insides fell out I was in the right place, working for an OB/GYN. They had me back to transferring unconscious patients in no time
Mummy thats sad but it doesn't surprise me at all, its all about the Dollar going in the rich mans pockets, we are just numbers and nobody cares.

And they said slavery was abolished, I think slavery is well and truly alive in the USA, look at what's happening around us right now, its the start of even more change and control by the rich.

Guilt, many of us understand that, In my previous job they'd always try to make me feel guilty for taking my two weeks holiday...
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:18 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Go for it, girlfriend. I'll wear my sequined trainers and you can wear your pink & polka dot wellies when we meet for tea someday in Frome.
We need pics when you get them!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Now what shall I wear?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK there is a little bit of an activist spirit in me so I propose the following:

We as a group investigate anytime a pub is closed down. Any pub that closes will be immediately turned over to the local authorities so that it wont be knocked down.

What do you think?

Pretty good from a non drinker don't you know!

Seriously I think I heard that the reason they are closing so rapidly is because the price of beer is so much lower in the supermarkets and they, the pubs, can't compete pricewise. Is this correct?

I'm already upset that the chapels and churches are closing down through out the UK but I don't think people will take notice unless it is football ground that are closed. I think Evertons Goodison Park is going to be closed and demolished. Maybe they will build a church there. Crazy thought it will be a Tesco instead.

If the above is true I think the supermarkets should be investigated for being anti-Britain because besides the above they go around and knockdown historical buildings for parking lots and their food markets. (sorry, I just got up from a nap)

This all written in a semi humorous manner so don't go on about it.

OK I'll now go and investigate now after my rant is over.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

In the London Times. Pubs closing, in the UK, at the rate of 52 per week.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6722488.ece

Sorry to spring this on Bea now her bags are packed.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-downturn.html

Last edited by cheers; Feb 21st 2011 at 9:12 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cheers
OK there is a little bit of an activist spirit in me so I propose the following:

We as a group investigate anytime a pub is closed down. Any pub that closes will be immediately turned over to the local authorities so that it wont be knocked down.

What do you think?

Pretty good from a non drinker don't you know!

Seriously I think I heard that the reason they are closing so rapidly is because the price of beer is so much lower in the supermarkets and they, the pubs, can't compete pricewise. Is this correct?

I'm already upset that the chapels and churches are closing down through out the UK but I don't think people will take notice unless it is football ground that are closed. I think Evertons Goodison Park is going to be closed and demolished. Maybe they will build a church there. Crazy thought it will be a Tesco instead.

If the above is true I think the supermarkets should be investigated for being anti-Britain because besides the above they go around and knockdown historical buildings for parking lots and their food markets. (sorry, I just got up from a nap)

This all written in a semi humorous manner so don't go on about it.

OK I'll now go and investigate now after my rant is over.
Cheers, Goodison Park will only be demolished if they decide to build a new stadium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.