Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but thought I would add this.
I feel I have the best of both worlds. I was born in England many, many moons ago. I am still a British citizen and a permanent resident in the states. I have lived in the states almost my entire life..but for whatever reason, simply cannot bring myself to become a US citizen. My children are American born. They have all encouraged me to keep my British citizen status...they are quite fine with their mom being an 'immigrant' in the US. My permanent resident status/living in the US, as far as my life is concerned, is actually not much different than being a full-fledged US citizen. My English mom who brought me to the states, also never became an American citizen, she too was a permanent resident. She passed away still holding tight to her British citizenship, to include her noticeable English accent. I have an American born brother who has lived in England since around 15 yrs of age. He has no desire to return to the states, ever. He is retired now....and I envy him!! I'm retired now in the states...and our present govt' appears to be Senior Citizen Unfriendly!
I'm curious as to how the US government is unfriendly to senior citizens. Do you mean they don't get all the added benefits that older adults in the UK get (free bus pas, etc.)? To an extent I think that is balanced out by the puny UK pension vs. the typical US pension.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dontheturner....I can just see you muching on all the junk food to get rid of it before you leave. Your wife will need some TLC when she gets back to you leaving her daughter and grandchild will be hard for her. But she does have an exciting life ahead of her. Can just see you sitting up with the pilots having fun. The trip will go past fast for you. Lucky Tim will let you go I hold on to Moe and just about let him to to the loo. Thats for the offer of the seat. I had one with Rodney as well. Just cant seem to make it to the airport.

Cheers...Whats sex

Beedubya.....What do you do on a plane for that length of time. I thought 7 hours was long enough. Your son decided to move back to Australia did he not like the UK or was he just having a break. Will be nice when you get on that plane and sit down you will probably sleep for the whole flight.

Between Two Worlds...Citizenship....I did it because I am not sure how things will work out and I didnt want to be caught in an awful situation. To be honest when I took the oath it was fine. I looked upon what was in my heart that counts. Its just a formality for me. I have a US husband and children that live here so it just seemed the right thing to do. With some prodding from Rodney and others on here. I am sure thats how DDL will feel when she takes her UK Citizenship her heart will always belong to the US. Course she will be alot poorer after paying all that money.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I have the best of both worlds. I was born in England many, many moons ago. I am still a British citizen and a permanent resident in the states. I have lived in the states almost my entire life..but for whatever reason, simply cannot bring myself to become a US citizen. My children are American born. They have all encouraged me to keep my British citizen status...they are quite fine with their mom being an 'immigrant' in the US. My permanent resident status/living in the US, as far as my life is concerned, is actually not much different than being a full-fledged US citizen. My English mom who brought me to the states, also never became an American citizen, she too was a permanent resident. She passed away still holding tight to her British citizenship, to include her noticeable English accent. I have an American born brother who has lived in England since around 15 yrs of age. He has no desire to return to the states, ever. He is retired now....and I envy him!! I'm retired now in the states...and our present govt' appears to be Senior Citizen Unfriendly!
Here in the Caribbean I have similar circumstances... spouse a citizen of St Lucia (but dual) son same (dual) but born in Bermuda moi just UK.

See no reason at my age (59) to be a St Lucia citizen as nobody would hire me at this age even if I were a citizen and the only other agro is the need to get my passport stamped every six months but really DUAL is best of both worlds but in my view hypocritical as you have nothing at stake if things turn sour in your place of residence as unlike the other locals you can turn tail and run ... if need be and the grass is actually greener.......

Best to keep dual citizenship quiet.

At the back of my mind though is the ultimate intention to spend more time in the UK after being away for what will have been forty years. Hence my participation in this board.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Between Two Worlds...Citizenship....I did it because I am not sure how things will work out and I didnt want to be caught in an awful situation. To be honest when I took the oath it was fine. I looked upon what was in my heart that counts. Its just a formality for me. I have a US husband and children that live here so it just seemed the right thing to do. With some prodding from Rodney and others on here. I am sure thats how DDL will feel when she takes her UK Citizenship her heart will always belong to the US. Course she will be alot poorer after paying all that money.
I quite understand, Trotty--I'm not judging anyone on this....

I just wanted to reassure DDL that I do love her country, it's just that the oath made me so uncomfortable--not to do with the taking up arms part, but with the renouncing all former allegiance part--which of course I don't intend to do! So felt wrong to swear I would.

I think we've compared oaths on this forum before, and Britain doesn't make
you swear to renounce all former allegiance....very different.

As I say, I may have to give in and do it in the end...we'll see, but I won't feel right about it, unless they change the words!

tina
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, Chris. Yes, life is pretty much the same for a permanent resident as for a citizen--except you can't work for the Federal govt, and you can't vote. A lot of people feel, understandably, very strongly that they want to vote in the place where they live, and that's often a motive for taking citizenship.
There are also some financial issues for those of us married to US citizens...something to do with inheritance if the US spouse dies, some sort of extra tax we would have to pay if not citizens....other forum members can scold me with some justice over this, as I simply haven't looked into it properly, which is foolish. I THINK I read that the extra tax can be avoided if you open a sort of trust, and you can do it even if the spouse has already died...so after I read that I stopped investigating...silly!

Tina
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm curious as to how the US government is unfriendly to senior citizens. Do you mean they don't get all the added benefits that older adults in the UK get (free bus pas, etc.)? To an extent I think that is balanced out by the puny UK pension vs. the typical US pension.
Here in Chicago, for a few years the 'free bus pass' was offered to Seniors 65 and older. This past Monday Gov. Quinn got rid of that 'benefit'. Our current Congress has their eyes peeled on Social Security and Medicare...the programs that while one is working has contributed into (I had worked since the age of 15). There is the sound of a sharpening axe in the distance. Many Seniors receive no housing assistance and no assistance with their utility bills either, here in the Winter months. Since I'm not quite 65 yet, I cannot utilize Medicare, nor can I afford any private health insurance coverage, because, well quite simply, my SS check does not allow for that. Luckily, my prescriptions are of the generic variety and can make use of a program at CVS & Walgreens, that is very cheap. If I had to pay full price out-of pocket...guess I would be eating cat-food pate on crackers! Full social security retirement age for my age group is 66 and the age of 65 is the eligibility requirement for many city senior programs.
I have talked at length with my retired brother (and his ex-wife) in England (he's 61), we have compared dollar to pound in retirement benefits....my brother is well ahead of me in the game of govt retirement benefits. At the very least he has national health care, I have none. Hopefully no one will say...that national health care is not good. Not long ago I worked full-time, paid a very high monthly premium, high deductibles...and still would wait sometimes 3 HOURS to see the doctor!! To add insult to injury, the day before Thanksgiving the owner of the company, came in to tell us employees, that of the 1st of the next year...ALL benefits would cease, even the ones the employees contributed to...like health insurance. We were told we should just be happy that we had a job! Well and a Very Happy Thanksgiving to you to!
May I ask what you believe to be the "typical US pension"? Which would then be the Social Security retirement benefit.
I am very much an American in thought and culture wise...still America really lags behind (re: social programs) many of the other Western countries and I'm not afraid to say so. Thanks for your response and question!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Interesting, Chris. Yes, life is pretty much the same for a permanent resident as for a citizen--except you can't work for the Federal govt, and you can't vote. A lot of people feel, understandably, very strongly that they want to vote in the place where they live, and that's often a motive for taking citizenship.
There are also some financial issues for those of us married to US citizens...something to do with inheritance if the US spouse dies, some sort of extra tax we would have to pay if not citizens....other forum members can scold me with some justice over this, as I simply haven't looked into it properly, which is foolish. I THINK I read that the extra tax can be avoided if you open a sort of trust, and you can do it even if the spouse has already died...so after I read that I stopped investigating...silly!

Tina
Hi Tina... I never had a desire to work for the Federal govt, and yes, I can't vote. But I was a tax-payer for 5 decades, as was my husband (now deceased), as my adult children now are and a few of my grandchildren. So I have always felt that I had the right to speak my opinion (still do)on politics, scream at the TV when the nut-jobs are speaking and encourage my adult children (and adult grandchildren) to actively participate in politics, to vote.. and they do. Don't know anything about the 'inheritance' tax...but should the American spouse pass away and you are on the insurance policy as beneficiary..there should be no problem. My deceased husband was American born, though there was no life insurance to be had...he had been ill for a long time.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Here in the Caribbean I have similar circumstances... spouse a citizen of St Lucia (but dual) son same (dual) but born in Bermuda moi just UK.

See no reason at my age (59) to be a St Lucia citizen as nobody would hire me at this age even if I were a citizen and the only other agro is the need to get my passport stamped every six months but really DUAL is best of both worlds but in my view hypocritical as you have nothing at stake if things turn sour in your place of residence as unlike the other locals you can turn tail and run ... if need be and the grass is actually greener.......

Best to keep dual citizenship quiet.

At the back of my mind though is the ultimate intention to spend more time in the UK after being away for what will have been forty years. Hence my participation in this board.
I can relate. I am seriously concerned about the current climate of politics in America, especially in the upcoming 2012 Presidential Elections. Depending on the result of that election...is whether I turn-tail and run. I count my British passport, always, as my 'ace in the hole'. Though, of course...I am torn..what about my kids and grandkids? I have been doing some serious thinking as of late...and is why I have chosen to participate here as well. And there is always the really great benefits of forums...you meet new people and if lucky enough (as I have been)...make some new friends too!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
We will have none of that on here!
(no sex please we're British)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...study-laziness
After all the running around, organising stuff etc. for the move back next week if Don is like me he'll be too tired anyway
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Cheers...Whats sex
It is a subject matter of great interest to 15 year olds I think
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this someplace under the title of good things about the UK written by an American..

The fact that Sarah Palin doesnt have a say in politics
The fact that materialistic lifestyle,looks and status are not as important
The fact that people have a good clue of the world outside
The stunning landscape
The History
The laid back lifestyle
Houses have character
The dry,witty sense of humor
The good reputation abroad
The multciulturalism
The only bad thing is that i wish i moved to the UK earlier!!!

So there!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this someplace under the title of good things about the UK written by an American..

The stunning landscape
The History
The laid back lifestyle
Houses have character
The multciulturalism

So there!
Where's

The fact that the people have a sense of fair play ????
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Chris and welcome to the to the Forum, it seems you have plenty to say and I for one have open ears so keep posting...

I compare myself with my inlaws in the UK my age and they have such a better life at least from where Im sitting, very few real worries, all have jobs, health coverage, Nice homes, Nice cars and four weeks vacation while I struggle.

Your Kids/Grandkids mental struggle is one that many have here on this thread, Its a difficult situation for some, My sister would love to go back to the UK but cant because she has kids and grandkids, all are very close, it tears my sister up just talking about the subject.

Again Welcome.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

The stunning landscape
The History
The laid back lifestyle
Houses have character
The multciulturalism

So there!
Thanks for this...and I so agree. I lived in England as a young woman for a short time (Upper Norwood, SE London)....Why O! Why was I so obsessed in returning to the states? Clue...the love of my life...
Thankfully the people of Britain, have the good commonsense not to have a 'Palin' amongst them. Or does the UK have someone comparable to Palin..god I hope not!! Someone even worse than Palin...Michelle Bachmann!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Chris and welcome to the to the Forum, it seems you have plenty to say and I for one have open ears so keep posting...

I compare myself with my inlaws in the UK my age and they have such a better life at least from where Im sitting, very few real worries, all have jobs, health coverage, Nice homes, Nice cars and four weeks vacation while I struggle.

Your Kids/Grandkids mental struggle is one that many have here on this thread, Its a difficult situation for some, My sister would love to go back to the UK but cant because she has kids and grandkids, all are very close, it tears my sister up just talking about the subject.

Again Welcome.
Thanks for the Welcome...it is appreciated. I always have a lot to say (can be a curse and/or a source of agitation for some people, ask my kids! )...especially as I've gotten older. Once upon a time, I was very shy and didn't talk much at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.