Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
I hope everyone had a nice Valentines Day!

We just got back from the Red Lobster restaurant. Had to wait over an hour for a table. Food was OK even though I think it was pre made and farm raised shrimp.. Waitress was sickly nice. 40yrs old. $6 tip.

I've never seen expat bashing.

Another comment from the posts. When I came to America 55 years ago I met a very few who let me know I was taking work away from them which didn't make too much sense because I was in the military at the time. I think they were, as today, voicing their concerns based on what was in the newspaper and it was also in depressed area in upstate New York. I would understand if they stoped all immigration until they could show there was a shortage of labor but they don't do that. (Rod and me know whats going on)

As for the immigrants doing nasty work! I think or I'm sure there are local people in my area who would do anything for an income. I can't get work. (I'm still waiting for people to ring my doorbell and offer me a job)
Well Red Lobster......one cannot it to be top notch seafood at their prices but we sometimes.....it is just ok.

No one has ever voiced resentment of our coming to the USA. We came on a H1 visa . Shortage of anesthesiologists especially as teachers at med schools.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Yes I understand that side quite well. But I also believe that the entitlement to health benefits - what few are available ie medicare aid or whatever only kick in if your legal after 5 years of said being legal, which is why I stated its possibly best to be illegal as just like the UK it al just flows to you. Systems are always the same, if you don't have it will always be there in some form if you know how to access it...
Well yes you are right about much of what you say, Illegal undocumented aliens in US dont seem to have any problems getting welfare for them and there kids, and also dont seem to have any probs getting there kids into school either, this will always be allowed to exsist because every 4 years during a presidential campaign and even the local ones too the legals are very supportive on there vote especially to democrats, as long as there people are being looked after in certain ways,
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think she means you have to wait 5 years before you can claim any government assistance.
When Dh and I got married and filed for adjustment of status for me, part of the paperwork was that he was my sponsor and financially responsible for me, that I wasn't eligible for any government funds for 5 years if I did get any they could claim it back from him. So no welfare, medicaid etc.
I believe there are also some restrictions in place in the UK for non-British spouses, ie the British partner has to demonstrate that they have adequate funds to support them. I didn't know about this until I heard about it through a BE member in this position.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I believe there are also some restrictions in place in the UK for non-British spouses, ie the British partner has to demonstrate that they have adequate funds to support them. I didn't know about this until I heard about it through a BE member in this position.
Hello Sally-It might have been me, as my thai Wife, is in that position. She will not have to pay to see the Doctor, and will get a prescription, without cost, but will have to pay at the Chemists, when collecting any medication. dontheturner
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Sally-It might have been me, as my thai Wife, is in that position. She will not have to pay to see the Doctor, and will get a prescription, without cost, but will have to pay at the Chemists, when collecting any medication. dontheturner
Hi Don, that's interesting, I was thinking of someone I know on here who had to show a certain amount of income to bring their spouse in - but I didn't know about that health service restriction, do you mean she will have to pay the full price of the medication?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hi Don, that's interesting, I was thinking of someone I know on here who had to show a certain amount of income to bring their spouse in - but I didn't know about that health service restriction, do you mean she will have to pay the full price of the medication?
Unfortunately Yes. - She also, has 27 months, to do the ESOL course £340, and then sit the Life in the UK test, at a cost of £800, or she has to leave the country.( Then can apply for anothr Visa, with ILR, at furthr cost. - comes to near £2,000) How disgraceful is that? Considering we are married, and she has been there, and speaks conversational English, and writes it too. - I speak hardly any Thai - Toilet, Shower, and thank you! Oh! and I love you very much. I cannot read any at all. Not even on Toilet doors - or use their toilets! Just as an aside - the language causes many problems - I must never say to her, ''would you like to go to Tesco, or shall we go tomorrow?'' - that is two alternatives - she will say ''Yes OK'' I have to be more direst, and just say ''lets go to Tesco'' They as a race, are very non-confrontational.- they will never argue, if they can avoid it. So it is very hard, to fall out with them. Ideal really, and the shame is - everybody, just loves me - all the family.none of them, want me to leave, and are sure I will come back - but I have no intention, really. dontheturner.

Last edited by dontheturner; Feb 15th 2011 at 5:11 am. Reason: Add
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to pop in and say Hello!
I believe I joined sometime ago..but thought I would revisit this site. I've never seen myself as an ex-pat..but guess I am, since being born in England and living most of my life in the States. I'm still a British citizen, for some reason I just could never bring myself to give up that which I was born with, neither would my mother. All my children were born in the states, yet I could not bring myself to become a US Citizen and have no future plans of doing so. All of my maternal family still lives in England and one of my American-born brothers, long ago chose to stay in England. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself, have been doing some reading and doing some contemplating of the 'what-ifs'.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
True

But I feel I have done my time (if you see what I mean ?) plus ,if I was to get picky ,while I was working *some * were sitting on their backsides and getting care .
Evens out IMO .

I don't agree with EX-pats making any extra payments , personally it just does not sit right with me .

If you can't count on your birth country to be there for you ,where can you ?

I know I sound a bit over-the-top -sorry .
Gabby you are not over the top, I for one totally agree with you...

Let me add there are and have been many hangers on that drop into the UK for all its benefits, some born in the old commonwealth countries that just move there, and others European countries visiting for the NHS benefits...

There are others that actually live there that collect from crib to coffin and have never contributed, I have one in my family aged 47 who we all dislike, lets not forget her.

I used to live in Sheffield and had a few dressed in PJ's and other foreign wear asking for directions to the Free Bank...

C-mon, I think British born should count for something...

When I get back I plan to work till way past 65, in fact I cant ever see me retiring, so I will pay my dues...

If we are going to get picky My parents worked there from 14-49, I will be 55 soon, is there anyway I could use the NHS benefits they didn't get to use???

Why not suggest this plan to the American Govt, I'm tired of contributing and paying for all the illegal's healthcare and education thru my taxes and over priced healthcare costs, I'm not a Mexican hater, far from it, I've worked with many and actually like them, but this subject is not about people who I like and dislike...

Wouldn't the leaving Brit's balance out the returning ex-pats???
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Gabby you are not over the top, I for one totally agree with you...
Wouldn't the leaving Brit's balance out the returning ex-pats???
Fish & Chips -- No I don't think so - 'cos actually, most emigraters are young, so haven't paid much, and most returnees are old, so need things!

But of course, as was pointed out on here, a while back,
the National Insurance contributions, do not go into the Health Service.

All sounds iffy to me... Dontheturner 5 more sleeps.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Dontheturner 5 more sleeps.
Go Don and Tim, I'm right behind you, 11 more for me.

Do we have your flight schedule locked in for the tracker/stalkers? LOL!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish & Chips -- No I don't think so - 'cos actually, most emigraters are young, so haven't paid much, and most returnees are old, so need things!

But of course, as was pointed out on here, a while back,
the National Insurance contributions, do not go into the Health Service.

All sounds iffy to me... Dontheturner 5 more sleeps.
OMG Don & Tim not long now bet you excited,
And you too Barb Wow bet you excited and cant sleep,
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Go Don and Tim, I'm right behind you, 11 more for me.

Do we have your flight schedule locked in for the tracker/stalkers? LOL!!
I'll Repeat it here:--
Flight from Ubonratchathani International, to Bangkok, with Air Asia, Sunday 20th at 09.45am arrive 10.50am, then we leave Bangkok Flight BA10 at just past midnight , (21st 00.15am,) arrive Heathrow 05.45am same day (will puit watches back by 7 hours.), Then Courier Car, to Wellington Shropshire, should be there about Noon.

Excited? Never - just cannot sleep! Small PC, goes tonight, and don't know if this one, will work, as the Internet connection, comes via the small one! Take care barb, and Rod dontheturner
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:37 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Why not suggest this plan to the American Govt, I'm tired of contributing and paying for all the illegal's healthcare and education thru my taxes and over priced healthcare costs, I'm not a Mexican hater, far from it, I've worked with many and actually like them, but this subject is not about people who I like and dislike...
That's why we need immigration reform to let those people work here legally and receive benefits. But guess who's opposed to that? Republicans and big business who would suddenly have to pay minimum wage and provide health care.

Although honestly, I think illegal immigrants are the least of your worries when it comes to health care. You're paying for the 40 million people - most of them American-born - who are not covered. Of course they will be covered in 2014 under the new health care reform ... but guess who's opposed to that? Oh never mind
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

This from the UK is a bit depressing:

People aged 50 and over are suffering falling incomes, higher than average inflation and higher unemployment, according to research by Saga, consumer body for the over-50s.

The Saga quarterly report, conducted by the Centre for Economics and Business Research and Populus, questioned more than 10,000 people over 50, analysing their economic position, well-being, happiness, worries and living standards.

It found that 28% felt their standard of living had worsened during the past year, 23% said they were less happy, and 30% claimed their health had deteriorated. In contrast, just 8% thought their standard of living had improved, 23% were happier, and 12% believed they were healthier.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

I'll Repeat it here:--
Flight from Ubonratchathani International, to Bangkok, with Air Asia, Sunday 20th at 09.45am arrive 10.50am, then we leave Bangkok Flight BA10 at just past midnight , (21st 00.15am,) arrive Heathrow 05.45am same day (will puit watches back by 7 hours.), Then Courier Car, to Wellington Shropshire, should be there about Noon.

Excited? Never - just cannot sleep! Small PC, goes tonight, and don't know if this one, will work, as the Internet connection, comes via the small one! Take care barb, and Rod dontheturner
We are right behind you Don we leave Orlando 18.05 Monday 21st arrive Gatwick 7.05 on the 22nd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.