Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:32 am
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Welcome SoThere, I am 38 years away from Belfast and have lived in Texas all this time.
Hi CelticSpirit, thanks for the welcome! Texas is not at all similar to Belfast, in climate, I'm guessing? I've never been to Texas it seems to have many different climates, and the Dallas area is not so great at the moment- are you going home this year? Do you still have an Irish accent? My fatherinlaw had kept his and he left Ireland at 16 years of age. It helped that he had an Irish family and worked with Irish people, and friends- I guess that keeps the accent going.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I brought up one of those episodes of the Great Railway Journeys yesterday and the trip was around North Wales. I got really attracted to that area especially since we as a family use to go there more than any other place so I got looking at Rightmove to figure out what it looked like some more and also the prices of the homes there and I really like the area around Bettsycoed. Dunrovin made a helpful comment about being bankrupt if you buy some old property. I would like to rent but you are limited as what is available.
Barb I keep wondering if we are related? I have concluded we aren't but my grandfather was from mid Wales and when the wooden ship building came to an end he came to live in Liverpool.
On the family history. We went over there and found some of the ancestors grave stones and tried looking through records at the University of Wales or was it Wales National Library? Anyway I get very frustrated looking at the complicated records because of the different language and the records not being legible. I don't want to sign up for Ancestry.com.

Enough for now. Doc Martin on in 5 minutes.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi Cheers, LOL, yes, I do remember Whole Foods from the States. There were a couple of them in the Charleston [S.C.] area but only in the more upscale cities.

I didn't realize there was one in London.

There isn't any type of food from America that I miss. Now, I might miss a good Oyster Roast or Catfish Stew or Melvin's Barbecue, but you know what I mean.

When Tony's mum recently went on hol to Florida, the only thing we could think of that we wanted her to bring back for us were large bottles of Aleve (naproxen).

But she did also end up bringing me some Pepperidge Farm 'Milano' cookies because I do them.....
Milano is one of my favorites, too - orange, in particular.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I brought up one of those episodes of the Great Railway Journeys yesterday and the trip was around North Wales. I got really attracted to that area especially since we as a family use to go there more than any other place so I got looking at Rightmove to figure out what it looked like some more and also the prices of the homes there and I really like the area around Bettsycoed. Dunrovin made a helpful comment about being bankrupt if you buy some old property. I would like to rent but you are limited as what is available.
Barb I keep wondering if we are related? I have concluded we aren't but my grandfather was from mid Wales and when the wooden ship building came to an end he came to live in Liverpool.
On the family history. We went over there and found some of the ancestors grave stones and tried looking through records at the University of Wales or was it Wales National Library? Anyway I get very frustrated looking at the complicated records because of the different language and the records not being legible.
I don't want to sign up for Ancestry.com.

Cheers, the first person to leave the valleys was my grandfather who went to Liverpool in about 1920 I think it was from memory. He and my grandmother seem to have moved back and forth from Liverpool to Penmaenmawr a few times, as some of my dads siblings were born there and my dad went to school there for a time. When I did the family tree I started with my mother's unusual surname as I thought tracing my dad's family would be too hard, common Welsh surname in Wales.

However, as it turns out many years later when I did my dad's side, they were very easy to trace in the census records as they barely moved out of the same small area, maybe just to the next street or village. My sister and I went and visited all around there when I was home in 2006.

We went into a pub for lunch in Bethesda and I swear everybody stopped talking. It was like a scene in a saloon in a cowboy movie "Stranger in Town" all these old men in their cloth caps holding a pint talking in Welsh suddenly stopped talking and looked at us!!

We had been trying to find out where our grand-dad was born but we didn't have a street map, anyway the barmaid asked us what we were doing in town (like how come the English strangers are here!!) ha ha!!

Well when we told her that our grand-dad was born there and we couldn't find the street, she enlisted the help of the old men for directions and talk about a change in the atmosphere!!! They couldn't have been more helpful or polite once they knew we had Welsh blood!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 6th 2011 at 2:43 am.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

On the family history. We went over there and found some of the ancestors grave stones and tried looking through records at the University of Wales or was it Wales National Library? Anyway I get very frustrated looking at the complicated records because of the different language and the records not being legible. I don't want to sign up for Ancestry.com.

I didnt enjoy Doc Martin so much tonight.....did you? It was a bit more fraught and over the top than usual. Not so much black comedy as ridiculous scenarious. Maybe it is just me.........
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoThere
Hi CelticSpirit, thanks for the welcome! Texas is not at all similar to Belfast, in climate, I'm guessing? I've never been to Texas it seems to have many different climates, and the Dallas area is not so great at the moment- are you going home this year? Do you still have an Irish accent? My fatherinlaw had kept his and he left Ireland at 16 years of age. It helped that he had an Irish family and worked with Irish people, and friends- I guess that keeps the accent going.
Apparently I have quite the accent still, although I feel I talk just like everyone else. Sometimes when judging at a large dog show I need to record my critiques as it is impossible to remember all of the winners like the 400 Chihuahuas I recently judged in OZ. When I get home and have to write reports from the recorder, I am always shocked to hear my Belfast accent!!!!!
I cannot stand the Texas summers. I am happy we got six inches of snow yesterday. Unfortunately it hit 48F today so it is already almost gone. I think as a place to live in the USA, we picked as nice a spot as anywhere else. Right now real estate values have plummeted and our home is just about worth the price we paid for it 12 years ago including many improvements. I actually like Texas and Texans.
I would love to go back this year but I have many complicated issues to face. I am sad/happy/scared at this stage of my life.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I didnt enjoy Doc Martin so much tonight.....did you? It was a bit more fraught and over the top than usual. Not so much black comedy as ridiculous scenarious. Maybe it is just me.........
Was it the same one were the PC was bitten by a poisonous adder in the woods?

The best line was when the doc needed a guide into the woods and they recommended the screwy ranger to which the doc said 'no thanks I don't need a guy who's best friend is a six foot squirrel'
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya

We went into a pub for lunch in Bethesda and I swear everybody stopped talking. It was like a scene in a saloon in a cowboy movie "Stranger in Town" all these old men in their cloth caps holding a pint talking in Welsh suddenly stopped talking and looked at us!!
Did you know there was more than one Bethesda in Wales and one is close, real close to were my grandparents were from? Your Bethesda is around North Wales.

OK back to MI5

Cheers
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....You are correct we do alot of jumping in and out of cars. If we tried to walk we would never make it. Things are so spread out its just the geography of the country. Food additives are immense in US products. I try to buy fresh so I dont have to worry about it. I think they do it for shelf life. It takes forever for products to get from one part of the country to the other. Have you eaten toasted teacakes yet. They are my favourites with a cup of tea. Your Mums house sounds lovely. I bet you have added years to her life and your own since you gave up smoking.
Do many of your products come from Europe and are they watched to make sure they dont use pesticides on the fruit and veg. Do they have to tell you were the product comes from.

DDL..Last time I was home I found myself throwing lost of food out because it spoiled. I had to rethink what and when to buy.

So far.... Hope you enjoy the forum you will learn alot and get plenty of encouragement.

Beedubya....My Mothers family were from blaenau ffestiniog I swear everytime we visited it was either raining or the whole place was covered in a mist and the slag heaps loomed right up against the houses. I believe they are now covererd in grass. Still got the rain.

High Tide....Hows it going.

Charleygirl....Do you like the freezing rain. Our driveway is one long run of ice. We did have the snow taken off the house roof. I think this is worse than the snow.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Was it the same one were the PC was bitten by a poisonous adder in the woods?

The best line was when the doc needed a guide into the woods and they recommended the screwy ranger to which the doc said 'no thanks I don't need a guy who's best friend is a six foot squirrel'
No it was the one where th bipolar friend of Louisa's dad tied everyone up in martin's practice and then marched thm off with a hunting gun.......to the top of cliff...........don't want to spoil it entirely in case some here haven't seen it yet. Saw the snake one a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123....You are correct we do alot of jumping in and out of cars. If we tried to walk we would never make it. Things are so spread out its just the geography of the country. Food additives are immense in US products. I try to buy fresh so I dont have to worry about it. I think they do it for shelf life. It takes forever for products to get from one part of the country to the other. Have you eaten toasted teacakes yet. They are my favourites with a cup of tea. Your Mums house sounds lovely. I bet you have added years to her life and your own since you gave up smoking.
Do many of your products come from Europe and are they watched to make sure they dont use pesticides on the fruit and veg. Do they have to tell you were the product comes from.

DDL..Last time I was home I found myself throwing lost of food out because it spoiled. I had to rethink what and when to buy.

So far.... Hope you enjoy the forum you will learn alot and get plenty of encouragement.

Beedubya....My Mothers family were from blaenau ffestiniog I swear everytime we visited it was either raining or the whole place was covered in a mist and the slag heaps loomed right up against the houses. I believe they are now covererd in grass. Still got the rain.

Charleygirl....Do you like the freezing rain. Our driveway is one long run of ice. We did have the snow taken off the house roof. I think this is worse than the snow.
Here in Dallas we saw kids ice skating on the road thursday just like a skating rink!! Today it has almost all melted away, thank goodness. I hope I can get out Thursday for NYC for dog show week. I have a puppy to show at the Penta for three days before Westminster at MSG.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoThere
Curleytops- How romantic, returning home to marry. When will the wedding be, what month?

As far as relocating for me, I haven't submitted any paperwork in yet, I guess that would take months to get the approval. We thought about going this year, but I don't think that will happen. There's so much to think about.

We have to unclutter and sell the house, get the dog through the Defra requirements, etc. I think we should go by ship and a cold crossing in late autumn doesn't sound nice. Plus, I don't know if I want to look at water, water everywhere. Something to think on a bit more. So, hoping to go before next October 2012. Nothing definite set.

charleygirl- Thanks for the welcome!

Derrygal- There's no way you're going for that long a walk in this Ohio winter. You'd be a walking snowlady.
Welcome SoThere, just wondering what type of paperwork you are having to get approval on. Am I wrong in thinking you were born in UK or are you writing about spousal visa or about your DEFRA.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Cheers....do you know you can sign up for a free 14 day trial of Ancestry.com
You do have to give a credit card number but I just canceled it on the site on about the 13th. day. They make it very easy to cancel unlike some free trials. I got so much out of it in those 2 weeks I will rejoin once I am settled and have some spare time on my hands........lets see maybe in a year or two.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hightide when are you returning to US?

Welcome SoThere!
Hi Charley...It's Canada and I hope it will be within the next 2 weeks as soon as I am able to sign the initial contract on the house. The procedure has been rather long waiting for both husband and wife (the sellers) to get documentation to their solicitors. Because they were going through a divorce they were not always singing from the same side of the song sheet!! We are now told both have signed and so things should move more quickly now.

I will head back at that point and will probably be able to get everything settled within 3 weeks including bringing the cat back with me. We are hoping possession will take place in early March.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Hi Trotty...just posted an update in response to Charleygirl's post.

Probably not a good day for you and Charleygirl to go on one of your road trips to town. or even walking down the driveway for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.