Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I am way past my 'sell by' date for hanging out in bars, and am working on becoming eccentric, which I consider more interesting that 'an old girl'.
Excellent idea! You could be like Alan Bennett's mistress cafe Ann:

Bennett then revealed that he had, for the previous 17 years, been enjoying a relationship with Anne Davies, 15 years his junior, who had once been employed as the cleaner in his London house. Bennett had bought Anne ('a reformed hippy') a tea shop in Clapham, the Dales village where his father and mother lived in later life, and where he kept a house [...]

Davies set up home in Clapham with a younger lover, a dry-stone waller from Devon. She saw Bennett about once a month, she subsequently explained: 'He was always gay but he thought men didn't like him. It's like not being picked for the team at school... I was the only woman he had ever been close to... I was like an earthquake, turning his life upside down with my kids and lovers and mess.'

Davies turned Clapham upside down, too, going barefoot in all weathers, wearing bells on her ankles; she was banned from the local pub, and scandalised locals by admitting on one occasion that she had daubed expletives on a heritage sign. In some ways, it seemed, she was another of Bennett's unruly alter egos (along with his late friends, Peter Cook and Russell Harty, in whose shamelessness he revelled), and you could imagine the attraction, the blissful private joke, of putting this woman at the centre of village life, the conventions of which had so hemmed his mother in.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000/oct/29/tvandradio

So it seems that bells on your ankles and a young lover would be a good start
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Excellent idea! You could be like Alan Bennett's mistress cafe Ann:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000/oct/29/tvandradio

So it seems that bells on your ankles and a young lover would be a good start
I LOVE it! Bells yes, younger lover, yes. What a wonderful scandal.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally - I am afraid that Frome seems to be a place where you can get known quickly, if you are part of the local events. And I won't mind that, as it will add to my feeling of security - which I do not always have now, in this housing situation. I am way past my 'sell by' date for hanging out in bars, and am working on becoming eccentric, which I consider more interesting that 'an old girl'. I will have to come up with a suitable costume to fit the bill, by the time the Frome Festival rolls around in early July, as I will have to play a part in one of the big events - the Green Fair.

Any thoughts? Decent ones now!
No thoughts on the costume but congratulations on really making Frome a home for yourself. You have really made the effort to fit in and get on with your life and you are a huge example to a lot of us - especially those of us who are single and not as young or sprightly as we us to be

I must admit I am looking forwards to getting back and becoming the eccentric aunt who my nieces and nephews want to visit. I already read tarot cards have dozens (no hundreds) of books on Wicca, Astrology etc and am in a 2nd career of massage therapist so I think I'm on my way
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:39 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, and a special thanks to kind words privately from Barb, Vivien, Rosie, Denise B., and of course Avril.

Just an update:

I start a temp job on Monday as a PA at Royal Holloway University and you have no idea how thrilled I am about it. Ever since the first time I lived here (7 years ago) - whenever we would drive by Royal Holloway, Tony and I both would always say, "We want to work there someday!" ... and now, I will be! It's a great job and all indications are that it will turn into something permanent, so I'm very happy. Who wouldn't be, working here:

[

The other news is .... I start my first driving lessons tonight. In fact, the DI will be here in 25 minutes.

Although I have driven (in the U.S.) for 40+ years, I'm a bag of nerves! Driving over here is not what it was 40 years ago so for those of you who are considering telling me how 'easy' it is, it's just going to go in one ear and out the other. The current pass rate on the Practical Exam is something like 43%, so I'm just hoping that I get a friendly instructor who uses positive reinforcement ... and has a sense of humour!!! If I'm still standing after this 2-hour lesson, I'll give a report.

I already have my UK Provisional License, which is a requirement. While there are many different driving schools around, I booked my lessons with the AA, who give a small (emphasis on the word 'small') discount. I have initially booked a block of 5 lessons.

Since I have never driven a manual before - and since our own car is an automatic - I had to find a DI who teaches with an automatic and there was only one in our area. He teaches 7 days a week, from 9am-7pm! Must be a real go-getter.

Over the past few months I have been reading through the driving manual and taking the online practice Theory tests (my Theory test is booked in for early March). There will be 50 multiple-choice questions on the Theory exam, pulled randomly from a bank of 900 questions. After that, there is a 20-minute video Hazard Perception test that you have to pass. If you fail either, you have to retake them both.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. He'll be here soon and Tony just walked in from work and asked me if he should keep his work clothes on for the trip to hospital.

Just what I wanted to hear.

Ok, I'm off!

Last edited by DDL; Feb 3rd 2011 at 3:41 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Great to see your tea cup on here again DDL!

Good luck on your lesson and mind those roundabouts now!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a beautiful place to work!

Good luck with the lessons and the test. I can't tell you how glad I am that I got a license years ago, because I would dread having to do what you're doing.

I had to take a test when we moved to Canada and failed miserably the first time. The thing that sticks in my mind most is the horrified instructor saying 'you just went right through a stop sign!!' I'm sure you'll do better than that!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello everyone, and a special thanks to kind words privately from Barb, Vivien, Rosie, Denise B., and of course Avril.

Just an update:

I start a temp job on Monday as a PA at Royal Holloway University and you have no idea how thrilled I am about it. Ever since the first time I lived here (7 years ago) - whenever we would drive by Royal Holloway, Tony and I both would always say, "We want to work there someday!" ... and now, I will be! It's a great job and all indications are that it will turn into something permanent, so I'm very happy. Who wouldn't be, working here:

[http://www.charlesbutler.co.uk/images/RoyalHolloway.jpg

The other news is .... I start my first driving lessons tonight. In fact, the DI will be here in 25 minutes.

Although I have driven (in the U.S.) for 40+ years, I'm a bag of nerves! Driving over here is not what it was 40 years ago so for those of you who are considering telling me how 'easy' it is, it's just going to go in one ear and out the other. The current pass rate on the Practical Exam is something like 43%, so I'm just hoping that I get a friendly instructor who uses positive reinforcement ... and has a sense of humour!!! If I'm still standing after this 2-hour lesson, I'll give a report.

I already have my UK Provisional License, which is a requirement. While there are many different driving schools around, I booked my lessons with the AA, who give a small (emphasis on the word 'small') discount. I have initially booked a block of 5 lessons.

Since I have never driven a manual before - and since our own car is an automatic - I had to find a DI who teaches with an automatic and there was only one in our area. He teaches 7 days a week, from 9am-7pm! Must be a real go-getter.

Over the past few months I have been reading through the driving manual and taking the online practice Theory tests (my Theory test is booked in for early March). There will be 50 multiple-choice questions on the Theory exam, pulled randomly from a bank of 900 questions. After that, there is a 20-minute video Hazard Perception test that you have to pass. If you fail either, you have to retake them both.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. He'll be here soon and Tony just walked in from work and asked me if he should keep his work clothes on for the trip to hospital.

Just what I wanted to hear.

Ok, I'm off!
Congrats on the job. The venue looks amazing! The driving license application sounds traumatic. I did have one for ten years before I came to live in the USA. I have long since lost it just like my NI #. I will need a car if I continue to judge at dog shows in the UK. The thought of a test terrifies me. I still remember the first time around. Does one still have a large "L" attached to one's vehicle? Yes, it would have to be automatic for me also. Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I do this, too. I look at old photos of Edinburgh and remember when I lived there. However, I always remind myself I will not be going "back". It may look the same and may even feel the same when I first set foot in it again, but it is NOT the same. Times have moved on and I tell myself it is a mistake to think I can pick up where I left off. This is one of the reasons I often consider going to England instead.
Hi windsong and curleytops,
I have only been back home now for 2 months, and I know what you mean curley about wandering around your old neibourhood and feeling that Ive never left, Im getting to feel that now, my Mum says how much everything has changed in my home town of Portsmouth where we live, and I just dont see the changes at all, all the streets and all the different neibourhoods all look exactly the same, houses, office buildings, Pubs and churches centurys old, the high street has all the same buildings where older businesses used to be, all thats changed are the names on the front of the shops where over the years they have changed hands, the butcher shop are new owners but its still a butcher shop, most of the other shops have been converted to different other businesses, ----- you know what I like, the nearest shopping high street is a 10 minute walk from my house, and the library and the main post office is there, Age concerns shop they will help with any questions us oldies may have, there are three or four hairdressers, an electrical shop, the co-op and Audis supermarkets, and Icelands across the street, superdrugs, and a lot of charity shops run by different organizations, where you can go in and pick quality M&S new looking clothes like shirts trousers for the men and quality clothes for the women all for about 3 or £4,I have bought some lovely
shirts and a nice jacket, the jacket was 4.99 and was M&S 100% cotton looked brand new and very sylish too, good for spring or summer months over here, fairly light you know,
Also along the high street there are many discount stores that sell just about everything, all new stuff, theres the 99p store and about 6 more discount stores in competition to them, yesterday was a nice sunny day just like today, actually today reminds me so much like my previous home Vegas its lovely & sunny and there is not a single cloud in the sky (no kidding) and the temp is 11c about 51f and I betcha Vegas is no warmer then that right now at the beguning of February,
Hope everyone is doing good and that you are still holding on to that dream,
And Barb in Sydney not long for you misses, and you Don in Thailand not long for you and Tim,

Bravely and onward we travel back to the land we left so long ago
We are going back home after a very long time away you know,

And may the gentle breeze and the sun filter through the clouds and whisper in its understanding way ------
Your home now and everything will be okay,

Mum and I just came back with the shopping a little while ago, total of 26 items for a grand total of £31.20 ---- half each --- £15.60,
We went to Liddles and Morrisons, everything is so much cheaper here then US i have found and a much better variety of everything --- and so many delicious British favorites hmmm
The highest price item was a prime topside joint of beef just over one Kg for £6.51 nice big one and no fat at all, --- Im cooking our Sunday roast this week with yorkshire pud and carrots/parsnips/brussel sprouts and roast potatoes, brown gravy ----- Hmmmm lovely, Rhubarb pie and custard for desert

Today we bought from
(LIST)

(Morrisons) Prime topside joint of real lean beef £6.51, a packet of 3 large eccles cakes for 90p, and hot cross buns 8 in pack for 54p, (real fresh whole beetroot cooked but uncut in pack for 61p)a large packet of (12) activia yogurt £2, big packet of choc digestives Hmmm £1, Maccartney lasagne dinner 92p, packet of 4 big youngs fish fillets £1.74, (Liddles) two 4 pint bottles semi skimmed milk £1 each, unsmoked bacon (super lean and thick rashers) £2.49, hawaiian pizza 99p,flora spread 99p, bag pears (8) 99p, large cans garden peas 29p each, big bag organic bannanas £1, wholemeal loaf 59p, thick sliced white loaf 47p, wheetabix & shreded wheet, bar dark chocalate, thats it folks, all that for £15.60 each.
Take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 3rd 2011 at 5:21 pm. Reason: delete words
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Rodney, those prices of your groceries are so CHEAP compared to here!!!!!! And ooooh eccles cakes. Oh and I love the charity shops in the UK, I don't think I bought a new book more than once or twice as you can pick them up so cheaply there. I also got a pressure cooker for a fiver once!!! AMAZING!!

Rosie and DDL

It's good to see you posting again from the other side. Of course you are both Facebook friends of mine, but it's nice to see you on here giving little potted stories.

DDL I have already said it but congratulations on getting the job in such a gorgeous place, for anybody who hasn't checked it out do go online for a look, the chapel is just amazing!! Hope the driving lesson went OK, thank God I only have to hand my Aussie one over for a swap!! I can only drive automatics too. I did learn in a manual but that was over 25 years ago and I have never driven one since. IF and when I get a car, I will still book a few lessons as there are some differences to driving here in Australia and some of the road markings look different, so don't worry peoples you will be safe if I am behind the wheel.

Rosie Well you know I always like to hear little stories of the goings on in Frome for obvious reasons. I am still waiting to hear the name of the friend of your friend who lives in my old workplace.

Well living in Frome you will sure have lots of inspiration for eccentricity with all the arty types living there. I used to see this lady around town and oh I wanted to dress like her but I don't like being the centre of attention so it would not do for me. I bet you have seen her around, she is no spring chicken. She normally wears something like a tutu type skirt to the knee, a denim jacket, thick tights and Doctor Martin boots, she has short spiky hair and wears glasses.

You could start your own eccentricity with one item of clothing change at a time and gradually build up to it, you don't want to frighten the neighbours if you suddenly come out of your door one day looking like a Punk Rocker or a Goth ha ha!!!

Then again bells on your ankles and a young lover may be a better way to go.

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 3rd 2011 at 6:46 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Congrats on the job. The venue looks amazing! The driving license application sounds traumatic. I did have one for ten years before I came to live in the USA. I have long since lost it just like my NI #. I will need a car if I continue to judge at dog shows in the UK. The thought of a test terrifies me. I still remember the first time around. Does one still have a large "L" attached to one's vehicle? Yes, it would have to be automatic for me also. Good luck!
I am also having some lessons next week. I have been driving for 30 yrs in the US, and driving here terrifies me..lol.
Jackie..
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Rosie
Then again bells on your ankles and a young lover may be a better way to go.

I already have the bells, so now I need to start looking for the young lover...
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am also having some lessons next week. I have been driving for 30 yrs in the US, and driving here terrifies me..lol.
Jackie..
Have you driven at all since you got home Jackie?
How is the jet lag? Hopefully you are fully recovered.
Have you caught up with any old (former friends)?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I already have the bells, so now I need to start looking for the young lover...
.........and the tutu.......
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Denise,
A great big congrats on the new Job well done, and the practical and driving test sounds real scary I will have to have a real long think about whether or not I want to go through all that in the future, and like you mine will have to be an automatic too, although I can drive a stick shift but I would rather not
Take care,
keep in touch,
Rodney.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney

You need to change your location on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.